toldailytopic: Cats or dogs? Which is the smarter animal?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 16th, 2012 08:34 AM

toldailytopic: Cats or dogs? Which is the smarter animal, and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Last edited:

Buzzword

Depends on your measuring stick.

In my experience, dogs have the greatest ability to respond to the human voice.
A friend's papillon will pee on command. No joke.

Cats have the greatest ability to get into devious crap that will ruin your furniture, possessions, and day.

Spitfire

"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through the snow"

- Jeff Valdez

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think that cats are smarter. But, dogs are more loyal/loving to their owner.

Jason0047

Cats vs Dogs:

It's hard to determine intelligence just based on behavior alone.

Dogs are more trainable and can learn faster. This suggests that they are higher intelligence.

However, cats can also be trained to do tricks like dogs, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gKPpXkPzFA

This suggests that cats could simply just have a behavior that is similar to the fictional character "Garfield" in where they have a carefree attitude accept when it comes to food, playing, sleeping, etc.

Dogs also seem to be more sympathetic and have saved human lives.

However, cats have saved human lives, too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/22/cat-saves-womans-life-hours-adopted_n_1293820.html

And according to one owner, cats can apparently mourn, as well:

http://www.agweek.com/event/article/id/315175/publisher_ID/1/

It just does not seem all that outwardly noticeable by most pet owners.

Also, cats are more sneaky and cautious. This is an attribute of their character that suggests a wisdom that most dogs as a whole don't really possess. For dogs tend to jump in head first into things without really observing the situation long enough.

However, I am going to have to side with the fact that dogs are more intelligent than cats though.

#1, Dogs can read and cats cannot.

A long time ago, I seen a special on TV where they actually have taught many different dogs how to read.

#2. Behavior aside, dogs are more trainable and have saved more human life. They also do appear to mourn or display emotion that does point to the fact that they are more self aware of a situation than just your average cat.

Side Note:

Anyways, if you are interested, it is fascinating to me to point out that although "dogs" are mentioned by this world as being man's best friend and are quick to be by their side (as a protector): God's Word associates dogs with being unclean (See link), loving in a very lowly manner (Luke 16:19-31) and or with the judgment (1 Kings 21:19).

http://www.biblemeanings.info/Words/Animal/Dog1.htm

As for cats in the Bible: Well, although the word "cat" or "cats" does not appear in the God's Word, it is interesting that "lions" which are in the cat family do appear; And as you may know there is one really important mention with the word "lion" in the Bible.

Jesus is the Lion of the Tribe of Judah!

For lions suggest strength and rulership.

So praise ye our Lord for having rulership and control (strength) over all things within our life and our world today! For He is worthy of our praise and love! For He is our almighty God and is absolutely awesome!

So roar on and cheer the good news of our Lord Jesus!

noguru

I agree with Buzzword. The devious side of cats is really just their curiosity that is less tempered than a trained dog. Untrained dogs (especially when they are young) can be just as destructive

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Try teaching a cat to do that. It won't happen.

I am not a pet owner, so I am not biased on the issue.

Huskies are extremely intelligent animals that would put a cat to shame. I believe it is the dog's intelligence and self awareness that makes the animal tractable. Take another intelligent animal, the dolphin, for example. They are also very tractable and easy to train.

Alate_One

Dogs:
Can be trained to detect cancer in humans
Can be trained to detect contraband
Can be trained to find trapped or lost humans
Can be trained to assist disabled humans
Can be trained to protect property
Are warm and slobbery

Cats:
Can be trained to use the toilet
Are warm, soft and purr

noguru

Try teaching a cat to do that. It won't happen.

I am not a pet owner, so I am not biased on the issue.

Huskies are extremely intelligent animals that would put a cat to shame. I believe it is the dog's intelligence and self awareness that makes the animal tractable. Take another intelligent animal, the dolphin, for example. They are also very tractable and easy to train.

I am a pet owner myself. I own both cats and a dog. I think that cats are not nearly as social and that is why that cannot be trained like dogs or dolphins. Dogs and dolphins are wired to please the individual they see as the alpha. Cats are more independent and smart in that their selfish desires lead them to figure out many things on their own. But they are not wired to please others as much.

OMEGA

Cats because they get us to do everything for them.

They've got us well Trained. . .:chuckle:

:dog::dog:

keypurr

You can own a dog, but never a cat. The cat owns you.

I know, I got four cats.

One tells me when it's bedtime.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Dogs, because the ability to be obedient, and learn commands shows intelligence.

Cats just do whatever they please, and when they get into enough trouble, the owner gets rid of them.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Cats or dogs? Which is the smarter animal, and why?

Dogs are loyal and that's a good trait.

Cats figure out a way to own their owner.

I vote for cats. Well of course we're cat lovers.

textman

Spitfire say: ... You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through the snow
They do it for love, Spitfire! They'll even save your life if they can. Cats don't save people; they just claim that they can! :dead: