toldailytopic: Can a saved person lose their salvation?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 9th, 2012 10:21 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
John 10:24-30
24 Then the Jews surrounded Him and said to Him, “How long do You keep us in doubt? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.”
25 Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father’s name, they bear witness of Me. 26 But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. 27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one
.”

Nope! :cloud9:

elohiym

Once saved, always saved.

When the prodigal son returns home, he never leaves His father's house again.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You can not move yourself from death to life, nor from life to death.

heir

TOL Subscriber
No.

When one trusts the Lord after hearing and believing the word of truth (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) they are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Ephesians 1:13-14 KJV In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Anyone who says otherwise preaches an "other gospel"

Galatians 1:8-9 KJV But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

eameece

"Saved" means basically that you have been absorbed into the institution of the church, and/or are successfully programmed into its belief system. It means you have faith and assurance that comes from willingness to surrender your mind and your doubts to this authority. It means very little else than this. And there is no Devil or Hell to be "saved" from, aside from your own and society's demons.

The real goal is enlightenment, not salvation. That is a more difficult path, for those willing and able to embark on it. Confronting and mastering those inner and absorbed demons (including those installed by Christianity or other religions) is a crucial part of the path. Being "saved" (accepting church doctrine) does not at all cure you of these demons, as TOL itself demonstrates.

I also think that some people, like St. Paul, have had visitations, encounters, experiences etc. with Jesus. That can be transforming, and you might then become a follower; but "saved," I dunno.

To become a follower of Jesus the Christ (by whatever means) is a worthy adventure, but what the person does with this faith is still a question, project, or set of decisions. It could also be a path to enlightenment, but is not by any means the only path.

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Saved" as in eternal life in Christ ---- no, you cannot lose it.
Eternal life would not be "eternal" life if you could.

However, one can be saved in general (as in removed to safety), and then lose that position of safety.

Noah and family were removed to safety on the ark.
Doesn't mean they were guaranteed eternal life.

Lot and daughters were removed to safety from Sodom.

Israel was removed to safety from Egypt.

Likewise, there are those in Revelation that can be blotted out of the book of life, and spewed out of the mouth of God.
Obviously, the position they held was not "eternal".

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Galatians 2:20
20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

No

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Can a saved person lose their salvation?

I don't think so
but
the real question is

are you saved?

I don't think so

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Nope. The Bible is full of verses that support the concept of the permanence of salvation.

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

John 6:37 - All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out.

John 10:28-29 - And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand.

Romans 8:38-39 - For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Lon

1Jn 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they were of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out so that it might be revealed that they were not all of us.

1Co 1:8 He shall also confirm you to the end, that you may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Heb 7:25 Therefore He is able also to save to the uttermost those who come unto God by Him, since He ever lives to make intercession for them.