toldailytopic: Can a person reject the divinity of Christ and still be a Christian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Christ is the qualifier, the divine qualifier. When a person is genuinely saved, born again, redeemed by the blood of the lamb, and making a confession of such, they know and recognize the Divinity of Christ.

Without believing and accepting Jesus Christ a one's Savior, then Christian is just a name.

How can a person say they believe in Christ and reject His Divinty, and be saved, you can't, either He is or He isn't.

I believe Christ Jesus is divine, and settles it for me...Praise the Lord!

And without Christ Jesus I could do nothing.​

Yes, when a person is saved, "they know and recognize the Divinity of Christ." This is beyond doubt! Those not saved, will know in their hearts by faith, when personal will is given over to faith in Christ; those who deny the divinity of Christ, hold their own intellect above faith and that is their downfall.
Kat

Cruciform

Putting+Jesus+in+his+place.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Putting-Jesus-His-Place-Christ/dp/0825429838

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I believe that Jesus who was called Yeshua in Hebrew when He walked this earth, is God. I think the strongest statement is in the first chapter of John. In the beginning was the Word, and the word was with God and the Word was God. The Word became flesh, and we called Him Yeshua, now known as Jesus, to English speaking people.

You have to really manipulate the Greek, or discredit the manuscripts, in order to have the first chapter of John say something other than God himself, became man, in the person of Jesus, as the Son of God.

That said, I certainly understand why many people can just not grasp that concept. For those people, the Bible says clearly that one must believe that God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever might believe in Him, might be saved.
Peter told 3 thousand JEWS at Pentecost, that God had made Yeshua, both Lord and Christ, the anointed one. Repent and be baptized in His name.

Paul declares in Romans that if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.

There are several other passages. But it seems to me that if one truly believes that Yeshua is the Son of God, that He is your saviour, that He is your Lord, that He is the anointed one of God: That He was raised from the dead, for the forgiveness, and remission of sins, and-or one has been baptized in His name, that is the Biblical instructions for faith and salvation.

Such people are not commonly, nor traditionally considered Christians by the rest of us who know and believe that Yeshua is God.
However I can not think of a scripture that requires belief that Yeshua is God, as a prerequisite for forgiveness and salvation.

Therefore I do not agree with people who deny the divinity of Jesus, but I think that they are saved and Christians; if they truly believe in their heart, that He is at the very least the Son of God, their saviour and the Messiah and their Lord.

Very good examination. The final and inscrutable proof is not in the human mind, it is the soul, full of Grace! How does one find faith? By seeking, not just reading the Bible, but going into the Body of Christ and knowing in your heart, the person, who might say little, or have little station in this life, shines with a light brighter than the most wise. Salvation puts you on the path, we all have different walks, yet we all radiate something a seeker will find.

I pity the person who is locked away, examining texts to find the right word, because they are a man lost in themselves, a seeker of independence! Sin is the desire, for manifold reasons, to be apart, independent from God. Those who seek with a full heart will find! Those who care more about what they know and how much they impress, will inherit the wind.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
No way that's a game breaker. :nono: If Christ was not God He could not save us so I don't understand why "christians" who do not believe in His divinity really bother with the whole program. :idunno:

This is just a guess, but I would imagine they don't think we can't be saved without Christ being divine. :think:

keypurr

No where does the Bible show that Jesus received worship AS GOD. Trinitarians have created this delusion that the Bible forbids worship, per se, to be given to or accepted by anyone but God. But that's not Biblical. The word worship in the Bible means to pay homage to, to bow down in a sign of respect and honor. People of God have done this to kings, and have accepted this show of respect from others for themselves.
Daniel 2:46 shows Daniel accepting worship. 1 Chronicles 29:20 Shows David accepting worship. (Some translations use the term "worship" and others "paid homage." It's drawn from the same word in the original language).
Trinitarians will insist it was different with Jesus, but that is just their opinion. There is nothing in Scripture that tells us that he was accepting worship as God Himself.
Read Exodus 20:3-5. It forbids worshipping anything or anyone else as God, such as was done with idols. Ironically, this is precisely what the Trinitarians demand we do with Jesus. They demand we worship him as God, a clear violation of the first two commandments.

Excellent post friend

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Rev 5:6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.
Rev 5:7 And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.
Rev 5:8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.
Rev 5:9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
Rev 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.
Rev 5:11 And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands;
Rev 5:12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.
Rev 5:13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.
Rev 5:14 And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.

Psa 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

word-memra,Aramaic=logos, Greek

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They can be saved and not understand the implications. It is not a salvation requirement.

However, it is evidence that person does not have the mind of Christ and indwelling to deny him when presented with what the Bible clearly teaches. Instead of absorbing it, they reject it? Nah, probably not in the Body...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What do you mean God letting a person do those things? Are you suggesting God will stop someone? Or only that that person won't be saved?

Actions of the flesh is not evidence of their faith. Their confession of it is.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 3rd, 2011 10:42 AM

toldailytopic: Can a person reject the divinity of Christ and still be a Christian?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I do not know of any Christian who denies the diety of Christ.

It is often the charge of trinitarian believers against unitarians, because trintarians believe Jesus is God who became a little baby in Mary, thus a God/man, but unitarians often believe Jesus was born a man and attained to Diety through His having resisted sin to the death, out of love for His Father which was built into him in His upbringing, though His natural right of birth made Him the King, which He gave up for a Higher office.

Another question is--

Will those trintarians who reject the unitarians who back up their beliefs with scripture, be found to be committing a henious sin against Christ, and therefore disqualfy themselves from the first resurrection according toPhil. ch 3.

LA

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I do not know of any Christian who denies the diety of Christ.

It is often the charge of trinitarian believers against unitarians, because trintarians believe Jesus is God who became a little baby in Mary, thus a God/man, but unitarians often believe Jesus was born a man and attained to Diety through His having resisted sin to the death, out of love for His Father which was built into him in His upbringing, though His natural right of birth made Him the King, which He gave up for a Higher office.

Another question is--

Will those trintarians who reject the unitarians who back up their beliefs with scripture, be found to be committing a henious sin against Christ, and therefore disqualfy themselves from the first resurrection according toPhil. ch 3.

LA

Unitarians deny the Deity of Christ. Some also have a variety of conflicting, liberal views. You may have your version of it, but it is not official Unitarianism. Oneness denies the Trinity, but not the Deity of Christ, but Unitarians deny both. We must define things biblically and historically. JWs also deny both major truths.

The Deity of Christ is a salvific issue. You cannot appeal to false interpretations and lies on judgment day. We are defending truth vs error...and it does matter.

http://www.the-highway.com/deityTOC_Machen.html

Mormons and other groups may claim to believe in the Deity of Christ, but it is a semantical issue and not a true embracing of orthodox, biblical truth.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Unitarians deny the Deity of Christ. Some also have a variety of conflicting, liberal views. You may have your version of it, but it is not official Unitarianism. Oneness denies the Trinity, but not the Deity of Christ, but Unitarians deny both. We must define things biblically and historically. JWs also deny both major truths.

Then you do believe the offical version of the trinity yourself and are aligned with Roman Catholicism.

I am more a Pentecostal than you ever were, never a JW.

Whatever mainstream unitarians believe, I know not, but I believe in Jesus who was fully man and remains a man, now filled with the fullness of God which He was not born so.

It would be unnecessary to fill Jesus with Gods fullness if He was God, and impossible for one to be emptied of God to become a man and then be 100% God and 100% man.

Where is your logic in anything you believe?

The Deity of Christ is a salvific issue. You cannot appeal to false interpretations and lies on judgment day. We are defending truth vs error...and it does matter.

You can not either , for you blatantly contradict the Bible by calling Jesus a God/man, refer to His birth as an incarnation, and add countless other terms which are not in the Bible to explain your fraudulant views.

Your Diety of Christ is based on the ideas which are not in the Bible while the Bible explains how it all came about and you avoid its explanation.

http://www.the-highway.com/deityTOC_Machen.html

Mormons and other groups may claim to believe in the Deity of Christ, but it is a semantical issue and not a true embracing of orthodox, biblical truth.

I do not know mormons views or any other groups entirely because I never studied them in depth, but you like to infer that all others are heritics in order to cover your own deceptions.

Your opinions are worthless, and all Heaven cries out for man to receive Christ's words alone, but you know better.

LA

csuguy

Of course one can deny the idea that Jesus is God Almighty and still be a Christian. It is unbiblical to assert otherwise. Scripture never says we must accept Jesus as God to be saved, rather scripture presents him as the Son of God and says we are to accept him as Lord and to follow his teachings/commands.

If people actually studied the early church fathers they would quickly find that the early church was not trinitarian - that it developed over the course of several hundreds of years. The early trinitarians like Tertullian and Origen held views which would not be compatible with modern trinity conceptions. Like the idea that there was a time when the Son was not (Tertullian), the idea that Jesus was a combination of God's Spirit and a human soul (Origen), or the idea that all sons of God are/will become God himself (general early trinitarian belief).

Further, people put too much importance in these abstract theologies to begin with. I support an Arian-esque Christology, but I don't maintain that one must share my exact views to be a *true* Christian. How does assenting to a non-sensical doctrine like the Trinity makes someone a *true* Christian? Most "trinitarians" don't even claim to understand the trinity. You all put too much concern into orthodoxy when you should be focused on orthopraxy. That's not to say traditional practices - but that one should focus on application of Christ's teachings and commands vs dividing over every little difference of opinion, especially over such abstract metaphysical concepts.

Status
Not open for further replies.