toldailytopic: Can a person reject the divinity of Christ and still be a Christian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Can a person reject the divinity of Christ and still be a Christian?

No. The core of Christian teaching is that Christ is God incarnate and that man approaches through that sacrifice, recognition, and grace. Remove this from your following of Christ and you have a philosophy, not a religion, a life model, but not salvation.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I believe that Jesus who was called Yeshua in Hebrew when He walked this earth, is God. I think the strongest statement is in the first chapter of John. In the beginning was the Word, and the word was with God and the Word was God. The Word became flesh, and we called Him Yeshua, now known as Jesus, to English speaking people.

You have to really manipulate the Greek, or discredit the manuscripts, in order to have the first chapter of John say something other than God himself, became man, in the person of Jesus, as the Son of God.

That said, I certainly understand why many people can just not grasp that concept. For those people, the Bible says clearly that one must believe that God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever might believe in Him, might be saved.
Peter told 3 thousand JEWS at Pentecost, that God had made Yeshua, both Lord and Christ, the anointed one. Repent and be baptized in His name.

Paul declares in Romans that if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.

There are several other passages. But it seems to me that if one truly believes that Yeshua is the Son of God, that He is your saviour, that He is your Lord, that He is the anointed one of God: That He was raised from the dead, for the forgiveness, and remission of sins, and-or one has been baptized in His name, that is the Biblical instructions for faith and salvation.

Such people are not commonly, nor traditionally considered Christians by the rest of us who know and believe that Yeshua is God.
However I can not think of a scripture that requires belief that Yeshua is God, as a prerequisite for forgiveness and salvation.

Therefore I do not agree with people who deny the divinity of Jesus, but I think that they are saved and Christians; if they truly believe in their heart, that He is at the very least the Son of God, their saviour and the Messiah and their Lord.
At this point in my theology, I'm in agreement.

Last edited:

Only1God

I get what you are saying, but you have misunderstood what those teachings were - they were additions to the law they took a simple thing like "Remember the Sabbath to keep it holy" and added to it all sorts of restrictions - how far you could walk, whether cooking could be done, whether an animal may be saved from the ditch (or a man healed of blindness). That is not what the Nicene Creed does at all :nono: The Nicene Creed is a synopsis of the Gospel and is, as AMR has so nicely illustrated, totally backed by scripture in every phrase.

Adding to, perverting, convoluting, whatever...the point is the Scribes and Pharisees were promoting their words, not that of Scripture. Can you wrap your mind around that? The Catholics cite Matthew 16:18 and declare it made Peter the first pope (essentially), and that Jesus told Peter that he could declare whatever he wanted as doctrine and it would be bound in Heaven as doctrine. So the Catholics will say the exact thing about their "Pope doctrine" as you say about the Nicene creed, that it's just restating the "clear" truth in Scripture. Are they right? They say yes, the rest of Christendom says no. They say it's a "synopsis" of Mattew 16:18. But is it? Most would call it a perversion of Jesus' words and intents. Whatever, the Catholic's declaration on this is NOT Scripture and shouldn't be held up as if it were. Ditto the Nicene creed. They imitate, in principle, the error of the Pharisees by giving those things such credence and power.

The Nicene Creed does the opposite - it takes the Christian beliefs to bare-bones, stripping it of doctrines that are unimportant to the purpose of salvation and Christian belief. It describes "plain vanilla" Christianity - or what CS Lewis called "Mere Christianity."

What CS Lewis views as "mere Christianity" (or in your words vanilla Christianity) is irrelevant and without authority. He's not God. He's not Jesus. He's not an apostle. He didn't even live contemporary with anyone in the Bible. Nice or not, he's just one more individual with an opinion, just like you and I. I don't define Truth that way. No self-respecting Christian should. Who gives you or him or me authority to define what is "mere Christianity" and to hold the world to that standard?

AMR's post shows the power of the Bible behind it, but this creed certainly will not substitute for the Scripture that it describes.
The Scriptures that were brought together to form the Nicene Creed are what disqualify Arians and other anti-trinitarians as Christians. They are heretics according to the Scriptures embedded in that creed.
That's right. The creed brought together some "thoughts" (not scripture itself) that in the drafters' opinion disqualified those with whom the disagreed with in order to banish them from official Christendom. You're right. That's exactly what its purpose was. Nothing even remotely Christlike. Even if their resultant creed was correct, their motivation was decidedly wicked. In the end, the creed was only partially in line with Scripture. AMR's post was a fleeting attempt to find Scripture that agreed with the creed. In fact, much of it had nothing at all to do with the particular part of the creed it purported to support. In fact it defied logic and common sense.

Do you believe in the inerrancy of Scripture? Do you try to follow the Analogy of Faith which maintains the impossibility of God contradicting Himself? If so, then how will you reconcile the plain teachings of the divinity of Christ with your position? Perhaps you have neglected to study the history of the time or the grammar of that time. Perhaps you have not tried to ascertain the original meaning of the text by using these tools. Do you want to know what the Jews of the time understood when Jesus said "Before Abraham was, I AM" or do you want to ignore historical and grammatical facts so that you may interpret things as you like?

This is laughable. Not even credible trinitarian scholars make this absurd assertion! There is not the tiniest question, nor has there ever been, what the Jews believed about who God was. The orthodox Jews continue that belief today. It's a matter of historical fact. The Father alone is God to them.

You evidently take a verse from Scripture, buy into the spin the post biblical trinitarian "scholars" put on it and in your mind that is "historical fact." Sorry, historical fact is not so defined. We know what the Jews believed as they still believe it. There is literally one God, the Father.

Here is a contextually consistent, biblically historically consistent explanation of John 8:58. Keep in mind, that the Jews did not refer to God as "I AM." That was a one time thing God said and Moses didn't even refer to God as "I AM" literally when he went and met the Jews. You're trying to project a post biblical term back into scripture as if the Jews referred to God by that name all the time. It's silly.

Here is the analysis. I had posted this elsewhere but I'll repost it for you:
As for John 8:58, trinitarians ignore the statement of Jesus and (as usual) prioritize the words of the continually falsely accusing Scribes and Pharisees.

What did Jesus say? That's what's important to me and should be to all Christians. Jesus said, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see MY DAY, and he saw it."

Jesus didn't say that he had seen Abraham's day many hundreds of years prior, but rather that Abraham had seen his [Jesus'] day. So that begs the question, when was Jesus' Day? Well, there are two possible answers for that. The first is "The Day of the Lord" or "the Lord's Day." Which is the second coming of Jesus. The second is Jesus ministry right then.

No self-respecting Christian should give two hoots what the Scribes and Pharisees falsely accused Jesus of saying. We should focus on what Jesus ACTUALLY said. Therein lies the truth!

So when Jesus said, "Truly, truly I say to you, before Abraham came into being, I am," it was in context with his previous statement that Abraham saw HIS day (not vice versa).

Do you believe Abraham literally saw Jesus' day? If it were literal he would have said, "Abraham is seeing my day right now." Or (if referring to the second coming), "Abraham will see my day." But he didn't say that. Jesus said Abraham had already seen Jesus' day.

Jesus doesn't lie, so he spoke a truth. The only way Abraham could have seen either of Jesus' "days" was to see them afar off. In a vision. Abraham saw the future promise.

Okay, in that context, Jesus said, before Abraham even existed, I was prophecied to be born and have this ministry and have the "Day of the Lord." Jesus' work is primary in the entire PLAN of salvation prophecied right from the Garden of Eden. (Gen 3:15)

There is nothing about literal preexistance there. Jesus was not saying what the Scribes falsely accused him of.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Can a person reject the divinity of Christ and still be a Christian?

No. The core of Christian teaching is that Christ is God incarnate and that man approaches through that sacrifice, recognition, and grace. Remove this from your following of Christ and you have a philosophy, not a religion, a life model, but not salvation.

Why does that turn it into a philosophy? If you want to call them a heretic and place them outside salvation, whatever, most do that, but to call it a philosophy? How do you define religion?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I believe that Jesus who was called Yeshua in Hebrew when He walked this earth, is God. I think the strongest statement is in the first chapter of John. In the beginning was the Word, and the word was with God and the Word was God. The Word became flesh, and we called Him Yeshua, now known as Jesus, to English speaking people.

You have to really manipulate the Greek, or discredit the manuscripts, in order to have the first chapter of John say something other than God himself, became man, in the person of Jesus, as the Son of God.

That said, I certainly understand why many people can just not grasp that concept. For those people, the Bible says clearly that one must believe that God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever might believe in Him, might be saved.
Peter told 3 thousand JEWS at Pentecost, that God had made Yeshua, both Lord and Christ, the anointed one. Repent and be baptized in His name.

Paul declares in Romans that if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.

There are several other passages. But it seems to me that if one truly believes that Yeshua is the Son of God, that He is your saviour, that He is your Lord, that He is the anointed one of God: That He was raised from the dead, for the forgiveness, and remission of sins, and-or one has been baptized in His name, that is the Biblical instructions for faith and salvation.

Such people are not commonly, nor traditionally considered Christians by the rest of us who know and believe that Yeshua is God.
However I can not think of a scripture that requires belief that Yeshua is God, as a prerequisite for forgiveness and salvation.

Therefore I do not agree with people who deny the divinity of Jesus, but I think that they are saved and Christians; if they truly believe in their heart, that He is at the very least the Son of God, their saviour and the Messiah and their Lord.

I think that is a balanced view and I appreciate that. :up:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Because it's ineffective else. You're left with a wise teacher/philosopher absent his identity as God incarnate.

You assume Jesus had to be God incarnate. But regardless, I still don't see how it is changed to philosophy. How do you define religion?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
No. I experienced it and scripture proclaims it.
Your interpretation of it. :D

Religion is man's approach to God. The Christian approach begins in the divinity of Christ.

So you think it's not Christianity without Christ's divinity, fine, but I don't see how it is demoted from its status of a religion. Non-trinitarians are still approaching God. They are just approaching 1 God instead of 2 (or 3). :eek:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Your interpretation of it. :D
I'll let you know when I start advancing anyone else's. :D

So you think it's not Christianity without Christ's divinity, fine, but I don't see how it is demoted from its status of a religion.
Because you no longer approach the Christian God, who is Christ. And again, that's how I read it. Saying you're a Christian without the divinity of Christ at its core is like declaring yourself a Packer fan because you like the stadium. :plain:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'll let you know when I start advancing anyone else's. :D
I'll appreciate the warning. :e4e:

Because you no longer approach the Christian God, who is Christ. And again, that's how I read it. Saying you're a Christian without the divinity of Christ at its core is like declaring yourself a Packer fan because you like the stadium. :plain:

Again, if you don't want to call it Christianity, fine, but to say it's not a religion? They are still seeking after God. :rain:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I dunno. I fell under the sway of some anti-trinitarian teachings in my late twenties, but God still heard my prayers (and ultimately revealed the truth). I have a hard time understanding that myself.

But you probably still affirmed the Deity of Christ...?modalism?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I just signed on today and found this topic of the day. The question should be a duh question. But yet many people don't get it. The divinity of Christ is a core Christian belief as is the Trinity. Yet we have members on here identifying themselves as Christian that deny that Jesus is God. They should be using the 'Other' tag.

In light of the cults and false religions, we cannot afford to compromise essential truth like the Deity and resurrection of Christ (Jn. 1; I Cor. 15) in our gospel presentation. There is a trend to deny hell, the exclusivity of Christ, the Bible as Word of God, etc. Years ago, liberalism in the church was rejected and a stand for sound doctrine was vital. We are in a relativistic age and must affirm biblical truth (Jude 3 defend and proclaim it, especially sound Christology).

A counterfeit coin/Christ is worthless (2 Cor. 11:4) and damnable (Gal. 1:6-10).

We are not saved by theological perfection, but faith in Christ, but it must be the true Christ, not a false concept like Allah, Jesus of the Watchtower, the Mormon 'Jesus', etc.

Our faith is only as good as the object we put it in. A generic Jesus cannot save, but Jesus, Almighty God in the flesh, is the One the Spirit calls us to.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Why not?

What scriptures do you base that on?

Romans 10:9-10?

Does that passage say anything about divinity?

It does say, God raised Jesus Christ from the dead. It does not say to believe that Jesus Christ raised himself from the dead, now does it?

I know, it is such a small detail. I am sure that a jot or a tittle is far more important than that.

oatmeal

The Pauline use of 'Lord' is Deity. OT verses about YHWH are applied to Jesus by the Spirit in the Gospels, Romans, Philippians, Hebrews, etc. To confess Jesus as Lord is not to confess him as a lord or sir, but as YHWH.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Using this logic, pseudo-Christian cults like JWs, Mormons, Christian Scientists (even ? Muslims) could be called Christians. One cannot be saved by trusting a false Messiah/Christ. Neither Jesus nor Paul promoted the lie that trusting any old 'jesus' concept is sufficient.

Son of God inherently implies equality with Father. Jesus stated who He was and does not leave room for other ways to the Father or for false messiahs/christs to be on par with Him.

There are also trinitarian Catholics/Protestants that give mental assent to Deity/Trinity, yet are not truly regenerate (they don't know and trust Jesus, just give mental assent to an aspect of truth).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I'm not real sure about what non trintarian's believe. If they believe that Christ was sinless, that He died for our sins and is risen from the dead my guess is they might be OK :idunno:

JWs and Mormons could say this. They are not Christian denominations, but pseudo-Christian cults with a false Christ/gospel.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
You assume Jesus had to be God incarnate. But regardless, I still don't see how it is changed to philosophy. How do you define religion?

The issue is truth vs error/lie. Truth sets free, while error deceives/blinds.

Satan is the one who wants people to deny the Deity of Christ, not the Holy Spirit!

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Can a cat know it's a cat if the cat doesn't know it's creator, Jesus, was God?

Town Heretic, in the next post, will turn my name into a verb:

Town Heretic: "God Rulz, please don't pull a Joey Arnold on us TOL folks, for the love of Oatmeal."

God Rulz follows: "I'm not Joey Arnolding, I'm just GodRulzing with the flow of some cigars of Religion."

Status
Not open for further replies.