toldailytopic: At what point does drinking alcohol become sinful?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
When it leads to sinful behavior that one might not otherwise consider engaging in

I think I'd answer similarly to this. Drinking alcohol or being drunk/buzzed may not be a sin of itself, but you can sin while drinking depending on what you do. And addiction/alcoholism may fall under the sin category even if you are a "functional alcoholic".

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I think I'd answer similarly to this. Drinking alcohol or being drunk/buzzed may not be a sin of itself, but you can sin while drinking depending on what you do. And addiction/alcoholism may fall under the sin category even if you are a "functional alcoholic".
What if you are a dry drunk?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Beer-is-proof-that_rect-500x500.jpg

noguru

I agree with Ben there. I still can appreciate the taste of a good ale occassionally.

I have never been one who agrees with the complete abstinence promoted by 12 steps. I think that people who abuse tend to seek oblivion or some other level of less control of their behavior. There is a reason they seek that, and oftentimes that reason is a warning flag that would best not be ignored.

noguru

How would that relate to drinking alcohol and its sinfulness?

It's an interesting tangential issue, in my opinion. And I think dry drunks are more likely to return to a level of use that puts them out of control. It think it is because as a dry drunk they are already in a very precarious position in regard to being in control of their behavior. It's another red flag, in my opinion.

I have been to enough meetings to see the direct correlation between those people who are so caught up in their own imagined torment, that it is quite obvious they are teetering on that line. One small stumble and they are right back at that same point they left.

Another relevant tangential issue is al anon meetings. The two most important things that such meetings offer are:

1.) Many people around alcoholics have suffered much harm from the alcoholics behavior.

2.) And if they continue in that same mentality that they should blame others for their situation, they become very likely to become alcoholics themselves.

IMJerusha

Believers do not sin. Sin is a transgression of the law, we are not under the law.

How does one transgress what they are not under?

Huh? I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you there, Sister. While we are no longer under the Law for salvation, the Law is still there as our guide and that is not only so that we can identify sin in others but also so that we know when we ourselves, too stubborn to hear the Ruach, are stepping over the line in disobedience.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Huh? I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you there, Sister. While we are no longer under the Law for salvation, the Law is still there as our guide and that is not only so that we can identify sin in others but also so that we know when we ourselves, too stubborn to hear the Ruach, are stepping over the line in disobedience.

1 John 3:9 No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.