toldailytopic: At what point does drinking alcohol become sinful?

bybee

Bad habits are not the same as an addiction.

But as I 'oh-so-pompously' stated, it's very difficult for someone who has not experienced an addiction, themselves, to understand how powerless the addict really is, and why. From the outside, their behavior is infuriatingly inexplicable, and they're full of nonsensical and phony excuses. But in the end, there is no reason for their obsessive, self-destructive behavior except that they are addicted. And that's the way people behave when they become addicts. It's the nature of the disease.

I agree with you. And, until the addict decides to stop the behavior continues. Some person's are called to help these people. I have always answered the call to help those who need that little lift because they can't quite make it on their own. It is like offering an innertube to a swimmer making his way to shore and running out of strength. I've bailed many family members out financially from a few bucks "Some walking around money" my husband called it, to several thousand because I/we could. We had it to share. We never called it a loan. Pay it forward when you can. Mostly We were repaid but they knew we wanted them to succeed first.
Some persons never get enough of another person's stuff. I've had to learn not to enable.
We have been indoctrinated in our society to enable weakness. It then becomes self perpetuating.

PureX

We have been indoctrinated in our society to enable weakness. It then becomes self perpetuating.
We're being indoctrinated, alright. But that's just the current line of BS that the party of the rich are spewing so that they can justify making everyone BUT the rich pay for the excessive greed and stupidity that they and their cronies have perpetrated on the U.S. economy. They stole a ton of money, and ran us into massive debt, and now they don't want to pay for what they've done, so they're trying to convince us that it's all our own fault, because we are "enabling the poor (who are, to them, weak)".

And because you hate weakness (being the pinnacle of strength and self-will that you are) you have fully and completely bought into their slander and lies.

But back to the subject at hand.

Very few addicts are ever able to stop practicing their addiction on their own. Most of the people who claim they have done so, never achieved full-blown addiction. Or as Buzzword pointed out, were likely not fighting a genetic predisposition for their addiction, as well as the addiction, itself.

Addictions are insidious and progressive. They are insidious because in the beginning, when you do have the power to say no, you can't see the harm in it, because there is little harm in it at that time, to see. And by the time you realize that you're over-indulging and that's it's becoming harmful, you are already in the grip of the addiction and you either can't stop, in spite of yourself, or the urge to continue is so much stronger than your sense of the danger that you just don't care. Eventually it will get so bad that all you want in the world is to stop, and you try, and try, and try, and you fail and fail and fail. And each time you fail, you lose more hope, and you fall deeper into the shame it. Which only makes you want to drink again, all the more, to make it all go away.

In the beginning you do it because it's fun, and you really enjoy it. In the end you seek oblivion. And along the way you will sacrifice everything you love for it.

bybee

We're being indoctrinated, alright. But that's just the current line of BS that the party of the rich are spewing so that they can justify making everyone BUT the rich pay for the excessive greed and stupidity that they and their cronies have perpetrated on the U.S. economy. They stole a ton of money, and ran us into massive debt, and now they don't want to pay for what they've done, so they're trying to convince us that it's all our own fault, because we are "enabling the poor (who are, to them, weak)".

And because you hate weakness (being the pinnacle of strength and self-will that you are) you have fully and completely bought into their slander and lies.

But back to the subject at hand.

Very few addicts are ever able to stop practicing their addiction on their own. Most of the people who claim they have done so, never achieved full-blown addiction. Or as Buzzword pointed out, were likely not fighting a genetic predisposition for their addiction, as well as the addiction, itself.

Addictions are insidious and progressive. They are insidious because in the beginning, when you do have the power to say no, you can't see the harm in it, because there is little harm in it at that time, to see. And by the time you realize that you're over-indulging and that's it's becoming harmful, you are already in the grip of the addiction and you either can't stop, in spite of yourself, or the urge to continue is so much stronger than your sense of the danger that you just don't care. Eventually it will get so bad that all you want in the world is to stop, and you try, and try, and try, and you fail and fail and fail. And each time you fail, you lose more hope, and you fall deeper into the shame it. Which only makes you want to drink again, all the more, to make it all go away.

In the beginning you do it because it's fun, and you really enjoy it. In the end you seek oblivion. And along the way you will sacrifice everything you love for it.

It is a form of greed. You want more than you have a right to have.
It is no different than greedy capitalists whom you so despise but think I should be kind and tolerant of self-indulgent, greedy addicts?
You want me to accept self-pandering weakness? Not a chance.
Of course because I have shown strength I am to be mocked and discounted by you and your weak sistered ilk. My ability to stop harming myself and by extension my whole family was because I care enough to put them first. I detest slothfulness and gluttony. Two sins with which I fight regularly.
I won't take pain pills, except in extremis, because I might like them.
When I shattered my ankle, they gave me morphine. It made me puke. After the operation they gave me oxycotin. It also made me sick but in a different way. I found I was looking forward to taking the pill. So I stopped immediately. Pain? Pain can be endured for a time.

PureX

Sorry, I clicked the wrong button and posted without commenting on the quote.

Anyway, addiction is not an illness, it is a person becoming a complete slave to their sin. Yes its blinding to the person toward the substance because that is what sin does...

That being said it is the same way with sin in general. We couldn't make the choice to break free from that addiction even if we wanted too. It is only through Gods grace that he draws (literally drags) us out the servitude of sin. Sure, many people have "relapses" in sin, but anybody who has kicked a habit knows that many times the best way to kick a habit is to replace it with a new one. This is so with sin. Once God drags us out of sin's grip we need to become addicted to Him and His nature in order to reduce the risk of relapse.

Saying that addiction to any substance or specific sin is a disease is trying to justify one's actions and place the blame on basic human nature. I am not saying it is easy to kick a habit, and most people cannot do it in the first few tries, but minimizing the responsibility of a person's actions while caught in an addiction by calling it a disease does no good for the addict or those trying to help them.
Addiction is a mental illness the same way sin is a spiritual illness. Both are progressive, and both are terminal if left to run their full course. And both are a "death by a thousand cuts".

PureX

Tell it to the Marines!
I have one in my family and I adore him.
You leap to conclusions with unwarranted speed and lack of facts.
I just respond to the posts.

It's the job of the Marines to kill people and destroy things. It's a sadly necessary task in this world, on occasion, but I don't think that makes it something to be proud of.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I just respond to the posts.

It's the job of the Marines to kill people and destroy things. It's a sadly necessary task in this world, on occasion, but I don't think that makes it something to be proud of.

never_go_full_retard1.jpg

The Glory Land

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 4th, 2013 06:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

rEpAiReD

Last edited:

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The question doesn't apply to Christians. There is no rule for us to contravene. We are being led by the Spirit. All things are permissible, though not all things are beneficial. If we let the Spirit guide our lives, we should be capable of making good decisions in each circumstance.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

That's really a tough one to answer.

The Bible says not to be a drunkard, but it doesn't really seem to say that it is a sin to occasionally get somewhat drunk, i.e. buzzed.

As for me I could never be an alcoholic; I don't like to drink to an excess to where it isn't fun, and I've seen others do that to themselves. I've seen friends go from happy, having fun, making everyone laugh to being upset and angry to the point of just being a jerk to everybody. And it's really sad when that point comes as a result of the alcohol being gone, thus the reason they're angry is because they can't have anymore.

When it leads to sinful behavior that one might not otherwise consider engaging in
I'd say you've crossed the line into sin with the alcohol before the point in which you engage in another sin.

Also, alcohol is not likely to lead you into an action you would not have otherwise considered, it merely lowers your inhibitions which leads you to act on your considerations that you would otherwise deny out of a sense of right, justice or duty, etc.

Seriously?! This isn't even an answer to the question posed, and you've posted a picture too big for the page, so now it's stretched out. While I understand you may not have known about the spoiler tags so as to not stretch out the page, could you have at least just linked to the image?

As it is now I humbly request you edit your post to put spoiler tags in:
[noparse]
Spoiler
"image"
[noparse]

PureX

The question doesn't apply to Christians. There is no rule for us to contravene. We are being led by the Spirit. All things are permissible, though not all things are beneficial. If we let the Spirit guide our lives, we should be capable of making good decisions in each circumstance.
Excellent response; concise and (I believe) correct.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Strength without compassion is itself a weakness.

Yes, does the devout practice their religion in the service of a crutch, weapon, or benevolence?

We see much of the two former on display here............

bybee

Yes, does the devout practice their religion in the service of a crutch, weapon, or benevolence?

We see much of the two former on display here............

How much benevolence does a drug addict or alcoholic display?