toldailytopic: Are you superstitious? What superstitious habit do you have?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 22nd, 2013 06:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

MrRadish

I say "Morning Mr Magpie" to magpies, which I mainly started doing because I thought it was quaint. Now it's just an irritating habit.

exminister

I was taught many superstitions growing up. Some where "harmless" and others were very creepy. Whenever you are walking with someone and a pole or object comes between you you say "Bread and Butter". I think that was pretty common back when. I saw a looney toon cartoon where two trains were going in opposite direction and at the scene was at a pole and the two trains kept saying over and over "Bread and Butter"
The creepiest one that took me years to get away from was hanging something on a door knob. My mom got very angry at that one. Later I learned it meant death in a family. I had to learn to actually fight that one and force myself to do it as an adult. Anybody heard of that one? I have wondered if my mother's grandmother made it up because she hated seeing people do that.

Last edited:

ragTagblues

Its not really superstitious as such, don't really go in for that stuff! However when I play BlackJack I cannot/will not sit in a position that means I receive either the first or last card dealt . . . . I'm convinced I get worse hands in either position.

However poker I seem to be the opposite and not as bothered about it!

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Used to always stretch the left hamstring first before a match. I got hurt once, and remembered that I had done right first, and somehow, I just fell into doing it left to right.

I think superstitions like that are very common in sports. All my kids had little things like that when they played.

Quincy

Yes I am. I won't do things like walking under ladders, opening umbrellas indoors, breaking mirrors, I'll go back home if a black cat crosses my path, etc etc.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Never fill the livewell in your bass boat, in a tournament, until you have caught your first fish...I know, really dumb, but, I never do...:chuckle:

Daedalean's_Sun

The closest thing I have to a superstition is that I always move my mouse cursor around in a circular pattern, as it seems to make loading bars move faster, although in all likelihood it doesn't do anything.

OriginalOatmeal

I have been superstitious about Friday the 13th which is a day when I was accidentally thrown in jail. On the other hand, I try not being too superstitious about too many things because superstition seems to be too much like closed-minded traditions. Just do not be a slave to superstition. Do not let it control you like perfection torments the Monk from that television show that is called the Monk.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Every morning, when I wake up, I like to mock a liberal.

:mock: Evolutionists.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

I've always felt superstition was silly. As a child I used to intentionally do things that were against superstitions. Though I never broke a mirror, but only because broken glass is dangerous and it's not okay to just break things.