TOL Snapshot: Inside the Numbers

Quetzal

...and what academic ability would that be? He hasn't evolved a micrometer since he began here.:confused:
He perpetually brags about how he transcended common understanding. All I am asking for is a sample of his work. :chuckle:

theophilus

a sample of his work...

a sample of his work...

show-your-work-calvin-4.jpg

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I haven't tracked overall numbers for the joint. My sense was a decline over time. Not sure if inviting a few people who love to post irresponsibly is the answer for that, or if it will work and stir participation.

Time will tell.

there have to be limits
I get that
but
freedom is so important
have you ever seen an area where dogs run free?
it is amazing how they all get along
someone told me that they police themselves
I find that hard to believe
but
I want to believe it

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
there have to be limits
I get that
but
freedom is so important
have you ever seen an area where dogs run free?
it is amazing how they all get along
someone told me that they police themselves
I find that hard to believe
but
I want to believe it
The difference being they are in a position to literally police themselves. I don't think the strays of the world are going to ruin TOL, but I think the concentration of it, over time, has hurt. There's a level for likely any sort of enterprise of this sort. The nature of the discourse and the constitution of the membership, coupled with what is and isn't allowed and how equitably the rules are enforced will have a great deal to do with whether the best sort remain or, as importantly, aid in the expansion and retention of membership.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The difference being they are in a position to literally police themselves. I don't think the strays of the world are going to ruin TOL, but I think the concentration of it, over time, has hurt. There's a level for likely any sort of enterprise of this sort. The nature of the discourse and the constitution of the membership, coupled with what is and isn't allowed and how equitably the rules are enforced will have a great deal to do with whether the best sort remain or, as importantly, aid in the expansion and retention of membership.

Indeed.

In the end, for myself at least, it means restricting one's self to some particular TOL forums where most who have nothing to say refrain from giving ample evidence of the fact.

AMR

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
i've always thought TOL was most interesting when everyone had a voice, not just "the best sort"
Your attempt to distort a larger comment into some sort of elitist remark is as strained as it is in character.

The quote being, actually: "The nature of the discourse and the constitution of the membership, coupled with what is and isn't allowed and how equitably the rules are enforced will have a great deal to do with whether the best sort remain or, as importantly, aid in the expansion and retention of membership."

What you won't find in any of that is an attempt to deny anyone a voice. So it's a bit like his calling me a control freak because I have an opinion and voice it with literally no means of enforcing it on the membership or stated desire to do so.

The best sort are productive, engaged contributors who understand how to argue, how to differ without rolling around in the mud or approaching others like a bully on a schoolyard.

Now I'll let our resident man of the people go back to telling Quet he should leave the boards. :rolleyes:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
The nature of the discourse and the constitution of the membership, coupled with what is and isn't allowed and how equitably the rules are enforced will have a great deal to do with whether the best sort remain or, as importantly, aid in the expansion and retention of membership.

this is their place
I don't expect equal treatment
I am grateful that they put up with me
many do not want me here
but
at least knight knows that this place is a little more interesting because of me
others who made this place a little more interesting did not make the effort to get along
and
somehow they were not encouraged to stay
yes
I encourage them to stay

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Your attempt to distort a larger comment into some sort of elitist remark is as strained as it is in character.

The quote being, actually: "The nature of the discourse and the constitution of the membership, coupled with what is and isn't allowed and how equitably the rules are enforced will have a great deal to do with whether the best sort....

reminds me of the common practice of country clubs' exclusionary rules to ensure that they only attract the "right kind" of people

image1.jpg

not surprising that you, a son of the south, would echo that language :chuckle:

ok doser

this is their place

and they make it clear that it promotes bible-believing, right-wing, conservative values

i've always been amazed that leftist/liberal/homo supporters like town think they should have a voice in who the "best sort" are

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
and they make it clear that it promotes bible-believing, right-wing, conservative values

i've always been amazed that leftist/liberal/homo supporters like town think they should have a voice in who the "best sort" are

so you don't want them to have a voice here?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
that's up to knight

what amazes me is how much they whine when they're confronted and ridiculed for their foolish beliefs

i think i misspelled "amuses" :chuckle:

do you think they should be confronted and ridiculed for their foolish beliefs?

ok doser

I encourage them to stay

this place has always worked best when it was welcoming to different voices, different perspectives, different styles and experiences without the creepy stalking exemplified by the town brigade's treatment of CW and THall