TOL Snapshot: Inside the Numbers

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
It's my thread.

not any more so than "Observations: Great and Small" was "your" thread

it's knight's thread, to do with as he pleases

just like all the rest of them

one might think a clever guy like you who's been here as long as you have would have cottoned on to this earlier

meshak

BANNED
Banned
you have to believe your input is meaningful
and
you have to listen

They are meaningful and I have been reading many, many of those posts.

I have attended and joined and served all major denominations, faithfully.

I also have been reading your organizations posts too.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So it's been a while and the pruning has thinned out a number of old threads. Of the remaining then. A top ten of sorts:

By views:
1. aCW's Homo thread
2. Good Morning
3. Keep A Word game
4. Homosexuality/DP
5. Our Triune God
6. Town Quixote's
7. Online Prayer requests
8. Today I'm Grateful
9. Guns
10. Praise The Lord, III

Rearranged to reflect posts:
1. Keep a Word
2. aCW's Homo
3. Good Morning
4. Our Triune God
5. Homo/DP
6. Town Quixote's
7. Today I'm Grateful
8. PTL
9. Guns
10. Online Prayer Requests

Rearranged by average views per post (as of late yesterday)
1. Online Prayer requests
2. Guns
3. Town Quixote's
4. aCW's Homo
5. PTL
6. Homo/DP
7. Today I'm Grateful
8. Good Morning
9. Our Triune God
10. Keep a Word

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
worth noting:
Another thread about me or something I wrote... Given how often you've done that the only real surprise was your ability to post it.

Well, there's at least one thread then where you haven't behaved badly enough to be removed.

So good for you. :thumb:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
gee, i thought you'd be interested in the numbers (you know - like the thread title sez?)

instead all you want to talk about is me :(

the thread stats i posted are noteworthy because the thread was only active for 36 days

i'd love to know how many of those views accrued after January 5th :banana:

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A hopeful season's message.

Curious happenings in the last year. The transition to a new look appeared to escalate a lack of membership activity that had me wondering if we were in the process of shuttering and going quietly around here. A lot of indicators were dipping dramatically, something true of most internet forums, as the turn toward FB and ADHD Twitter appeared to be driving everything else to ground.

So I started looking at my Town Quixote's thread as a canary. What I found alarmed me for a bit then puzzled me past a point. Ultimately, I was encouraged.

So here are the numbers this year:

Jan. 3,666 views on 56 posts, for an average view per post of 66

Feb. 5,841 views on 121 posts for 48 VPP

Mar. 3,514 views on 49 posts for 72 VPP

Apr. 3,043 views on 92 posts for 33 VPP

May 2,126 on 40 posts for 53 VPP

At that point I decided to close the doors on Quixote's if it fell beneath 2,000, but then something interesting started to happen.

June 2,396 views on 29 posts for 83 VPP

July 3,015 views on 7 posts for 431 VPP ...apparently, people were coming back and looking through back issues. :idunno:

Aug. 3,150 views on 11 posts for 286 VPP...as with the preceding month, the absence of trolls meant it was a Wrap only affair and the response continued to surprise.

Sept. 3,300 views on 9 posts for 366 VPP

Oct. 4,956 views on 78 posts for 64 VPP and everyone appeared caught up.

Nov. 5,474 views on 21 posts for 261 VPP

December tends to be a slow month, but no matter where it comes in this looks like the second best view outcome year for the thread in its run, which gives me encouragement for TOL at large, as our problems appear to be more about getting members posting than reading and this year marks the highest average on VPP.

Quixote's in a year to year:

2013: 900 posts on 32,464 views, 36.1 VPP

2014: 743 posts on 38,238 views, 51.5 VPP

2015: 789 posts on 57,518 views, 72.9 VPP

2016: 514 posts on 40,843 views, 79.5 VPP (through November)

Another less surprising note, when the new format allowed for the culling of a handful of trolls in the thread, the posting went down dramatically, but the uptick on views overwhelmed that and then some.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's been a while since I looked at anything around here by the numbers...but after more than a few complaints about a feeling that infractions were on an all time high I decided to take a look at it.

Okay, so let's start with Jan. - Mar. last year.

January - 60 posts were reported and 15 Mod actions were taken. That's 25% of the reports acted upon.
February - 75 posts were reported and 21 Mod actions were taken. That's 28% of the reports acted upon.
March - 49 posts were reported and 13 Mod actions were taken. That's 27% of the reports acted upon.

Now let's compare it to the same period this year.

January - 133 posts were reported and 18 Mod actions were taken. That's 13.5% of the reports acted upon.
February - 75 posts were reported and 16 Mod actions were taken. That's 21% of the reports acted upon.
March - 59 posts were reported and 38 Mod actions were taken. That's 64% of the reports acted upon.

So the first couple of months were relatively low in terms of mod action, but exploded in March.

The reason is pretty simple, the elevation of JR to mod status. Sherman's 11 actions were about on par with her performance from the prior year. JR added some 27 actions, from warnings to bans. That would be on the high side all by itself.

Now to be fair, JR is being consistent with his perspective as a poster prior. He was one of the most prolific reporters of posts and has become, in short order, one of the most prolific penalizers of posts in TOL history.

We can argue over whether that helps or hinders. I was mostly wanting to look at and answer the question of whether or not it was a few grumblers or an empirical reality.

Answered in the affirmative. And so far, in April, there have been 14 reports and an equal number of mod actions, at least when I last looked.