TOL Alternative Radio...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No Town, it seems pretty petty to me,
No. You reading something negative into something I wrote? :shocked: Is this opposites day? Is everyone wearing beards?! (Star Trek bonus)

in a subversive militant partisan way.
I'm sure. But how you couldn't work in terrorist I'll never know.

I think you are bigger than that. I thought you were better than that.
Yes. It really comes through in your opening. :plain:

Stuxx did not start...
I know. I was surprised, but it's entirely his business. I thought I'd start one I could be sure would last as long as it functioned.

If others are polarized and are here to show they like you and your subversive militant partisan ways better than a simple desire to keep a music thread going then I thought they were better too.
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I didn't want to post in her thread. I thought I'd post more alternative choices, at least for me and given I hadn't read the memo that announced there could only be one video thread I started this one.

Someone had better tell Knight he's breaking his rules.

However, I was right about Zoo, wasn't I?
I don't speak for other people. You want his opinion, ask him. The whole sock puppet thing was an invention...and I'm not sure where it ended anyway. Again, I know he knows the answer to that one.

He may lack guile to a certain extent,
So you only mean to insult him to a certain, lesser degree while insulting me to a greater one. Noted.

an attribute one might not find in law schools.
People do tend to be clever enough, if they've made it to and through that particular education, but as I've noted repeatedly, with the possible exception of fool I don't know anyone who's sharper/funnier, if in a mostly dry and frequently missed variety, than my friend zoo.

Now do try to at least work a music video into any future attempts at wedge driving, won't you?

Like so:

Orvsha - John Henry

dreadknought

...... I know. I was surprised, but it's entirely his business. I thought I'd start one I could be sure would last as long as it functioned..........
For my part, I'm grateful sky. kept the thing going, the thread has been around years before I became it's caretaker.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
For my part, I'm grateful sky. kept the thing going, the thread has been around years before I became it's caretaker.
I don't have a problem with you not wanting to be responsible for it. My intent with this thread is to post the sorts of music I like and if anyone wants to join in they're more than welcome to. If everyone wants to stay with posting in "What are you listening to" it won't hurt my feelings any. If people want to post in both, that's fine too.

I'm not sure why anyone cares that there are two threads for this, given I at least tried to steer this one in a slightly more focused direction, however it plays out.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
But aren't you being like Obama's administration?
Shouldn't you be posting this in the Obama thread? :think:

Trying to divide past bipartisan music?
It's a shame you have to post here. I'll ask Knight if he'll make an exception for you and anyone who doesn't want to. :rolleyes:

Weren't all united for all those previous music threads of Stux's?
You should start a poll. :plain:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
You don't get much more alternative than Ron Wood playing steel guitar.

When God was putting Mick together He gave him an extra spoonful of ugly

Last edited:

zoo22

You don't get much more alternative than Ron Wood playing steel guitar.

You don't get much more alternative than one of the most well-known and respected figures in the history of rock, from one of the biggest bands in the history of rock, playing an instrument that he's renowned for playing on some of the biggest rock songs in the history of rock.

Alternative?

I've hated the term "Alternative music" for about 30 years, and the reasons why just pile on year after year. It just gets more and more absurd. But as far as absurd, The Stones being "alternative" is way up there.

By the way, if anyone is wondering, yes, "Radiohead" is in spellcheck. That's how alternative Radiohead is: They're so off the grid that someone might actually misspell Radiohead, so it needs to be in spellcheck.

Last edited:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
You don't get much more alternative than one of the most well-known and respected figures in the history of rock, from one of the biggest bands in the history of rock, playing an instrument that he's renowned for playing on some of the biggest rock songs in the history of rock.

I'm willing to be enlightened.

Show me another Stones #1 that Ron played steel guitar on.

I've hated the term "Alternative music" for about 30 years

You've hated a term since fifteen years before you were born?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Alternative?

I've hated the term "Alternative music" for about 30 years, and the reasons why just pile on year after year. It just gets more and more absurd. But as far as absurd, The Stones being "alternative" is way up there.

By the way, if anyone is wondering, yes, "Radiohead" is in spellcheck. That's how alternative Radiohead is: They're so off the grid that someone might actually misspell Radiohead, so it needs to be in spellcheck.
I'm sensing you might have a problem with alternative radio...:D Okay, I can understand your reaction, though I don't share it.

I don't share your problem with the label, obviously... To me it's all about what mainstream radio is targeting and what it's not. Pearl Jam has a dedicated following, but you don't stumble across them a great deal on the radio unless you're visiting alternative dominated programming. College radio tended to skew alternative, find and promote bands that wouldn't have stood a chance of getting much exposure from the larger venues.

When I think of alternative I think of bands like They Might Be Giants or Wheezer and artists like the fellow I kicked off the thread with, someone a great many people haven't heard and won't hear on the pop oriented, dance and kid friendly programming.

It's not for everyone. This thread isn't for everyone...and that's okay. It wasn't meant to be.

:e4e:

zoo22

I'm willing to be enlightened.

Show me another Stones #1 that Ron played steel guitar on.

What? Now you're making up weird rules? It has to be #1 songs? That changes everything. It changes everything to being more absurd.

The Stones have been one of the biggest bands in the world for about 50 years, and Ron Wood has been one of the figureheads of rock guitar playing for about the same.

You've hated a term since fifteen years before you were born?

Yes, since about 15 years before I was born. I'm not sure exactly how many years it was, because I wasn't born yet, so I wasn't counting.

I saw Ron Wood play with Bo Diddley around the same time, about 15 years before before I was born. I guess it was an "alt rock" show. I've never seen The Stones play. Too alternative.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
What? Now you're making up weird rules? It has to be #1 songs? That changes everything. It changes everything to being more absurd.

The Stones have been one of the biggest bands in the world for about 50 years, and Ron Wood has been one of the figureheads of rock guitar playing for about the same.

He didn't play "rock guitar" on The Girl With Faraway Eyes

He played "steel guitar"

badly

zoo22

He didn't play "rock guitar" on The Girl With Faraway Eyes

He played "steel guitar"

badly

I have this video of sod explaining "alternative" music:

[YT="Sod schools everyone about the Rolling Stones and alternative music]hW8276A6_eI[/YT]