Tides Caused by the Moon?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
... Until it is identical when dropped side by side. OK. Is this going anywhere?

If they were tied together, the time would be equal. Just side by side wouldn't do it.

Right?

It's something I've been thinking about given my current (secret) job. ;)

Mocking You

Since mass is a specific term with specific meaning that most laymen are not aware of, I chose a more relatable albeit less accurate term.

OK, got it.

You are doing a great job explaining things to some of the mental midgets here on TOL. I applaud your efforts and your patience.

Daniel1611

I only got one attempted answer as to why all lakes and ponds don't have tides. The typical "you just can't see it" response. For my questions about gravity being so "absurd", no one here seems to have any answer except to say " they do have rides but we can't measure them". If you can't measure them, how do you know they're there? It's a religion. "I can see or measure it, but I believe it's there."

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I only got one attempted answer as to why all lakes and ponds don't have tides. The typical "you just can't see it" response. For my questions about gravity being so "absurd", no one here seems to have any answer except to say " they do have rides but we can't measure them". If you can't measure them, how do you know they're there? It's a religion. "I can see or measure it, but I believe it's there."

They can be calculated but other factors such as wind and rivers have a much greater effect and mask the tidal effects. On small bodies of water the effects are much more uniform, the whole body is effected where the ocean is much larger and a smaller area if the whole is effected by the moons gravity.

The fact us, you have been given honest and accurate answers and choose to ignore them. That is your choice, don't blame others when you choose to ignore them.

Daniel1611

They can be calculated but other factors such as wind and rivers have a much greater effect and mask the tidal effects. On small bodies of water the effects are much more uniform, the whole body is effected where the ocean is much larger and a smaller area if the whole is effected by the moons gravity.

The fact us, you have been given honest and accurate answers and choose to ignore them. That is your choice, don't blame others when you choose to ignore them.

So. They're there but we can't see them? So we believe they're there.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
So. They're there but we can't see them? So we believe they're there.
We can see them in bodies of water that are large enough to display the effects. If you take the time to look more deeply into the subject you will find materials that explain in precise detail tidal effects on small bodies of water.

Daniel1611

We can see them in bodies of water that are large enough to display the effects. If you take the time to look more deeply into the subject you will find materials that explain in precise detail tidal effects on small bodies of water.

So they're there in small bodies of water but we can't see it measure them? Science is not about believing things exist that you cannot see or measure.

You can't see God, do you believe He us not there?

The creation is evidence of the creator, but I'm not saying God's existence can be proved by the scientific method. You are saying rides exist in ponds but we can't see or measure them, and then calling it science. This heliocentric model has ridiculous flaws. It's only propped up by the dogmatic religion that is forced in society.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
So they're there in small bodies of water but we can't see it measure them? Science is not about believing things exist that you cannot see or measure.

The creation is evidence of the creator, but I'm not saying God's existence can be proved by the scientific method. You are saying rides exist in ponds but we can't see or measure them, and then calling it science. This heliocentric model has ridiculous flaws. It's only propped up by the dogmatic religion that is forced in society.

Science is about understanding God's creation (my opinion). It is about understanding how large and small bodies of water react to tidal forces. It is about understanding where you would see the effects and where you wouldn't. It is not about making poorly conceived blanket statements.

Daniel1611

Science is about understanding God's creation (my opinion). It is about understanding how large and small bodies of water react to tidal forces. It is about understanding where you would see the effects and where you wouldn't. It is not about making poorly conceived blanket statements.

Small bodies of water dont react to them as they would if they were caused by the moon.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Small bodies of water dont react to them as they would if they were caused by the moon.

Yes, small bodies of water react to the moon. Part of understanding means that you have to understand that water is not only influenced by the moon. Water is influenced by wind and surface tension. How deep the water is relative to how much surface area it has. All of these things work together so you must understand them all. For a small body of water, the effects of wind and surface tension can completely mask the tidal effects of the moon. Understanding, not proclamations.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Daniel is probably puzzled why he can't see the Coriolis effect in his bathtub. It's for the same reason you can measure hours with a Foucault pendulum, but you can't measure seconds.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It actually serves a useful purpose. If people don't know how things work, they are easily swayed by foolish arguments. When they see how easily such arguments are refuted, it helps.

Daniel is playing Simplicio for us.

oatmeal

But how does the weaker gravity of the moon over power the stronger gravity of earth? And why are there no observable affects on other bodies of water like ponds? And how do we measure these alleged affects on mountains to know that there are affects?

Very simple.

How many times have you seen a person walking a smaller dog?

How many times is the smaller dog actually leading the human, yet the human might weigh three times more.

How can one simple bee get some people to running?

Smaller does not mean nothing, it means smaller

Daniel1611

Very simple.

How many times have you seen a person walking a smaller dog?

How many times is the smaller dog actually leading the human, yet the human might weigh three times more.

How can one simple bee get some people to running?

Smaller does not mean nothing, it means smaller

That answer is absurd. A human allowing a poodle to lead them is not the same as the human being dragged by one. But I'm not surprised by the answer. Heliocentrism uses magic to fix holes in the theory