The "without cause" hermeneutic.

colin73

And this is your opinion, as the religious path to follow!

Obviously. He'd be pretty foolish to express something that wasn't his opinion.

Just because it is his opinion doesn't rule out the possibility that it is also absolute truth. Some opinions are necessarily closer to the Truth than others.

Ecumenicist

This whole TOL population would be alot better off if they realized that when Jesus rebuked the
Pharisees, he was referring to "us," not "them." Honestly, the lack of humility before the WORD
of God (i.e. Jesus the Christ) here is unbelievable.

Make sure you are sinless, have no beams in your own eye, before throwing stones and
trying to "correct" others. No one is good enough, no not one.

Aimey

I know it can be hard, but so what? If they are so wicked as to keep on doing what they are doing, not repent, and not believe in Jesus, then God will not take them in. You have done what you are supposed to do.
I am not suggesting that we NEVER rebuke people of whom we have no personal relationship. there are appropriate times to rebuke all people. My point was, for the sake of the person being rebuked, that our confrontation is more effective when we have a relationship of respect as a foundation from which to launch the conversation. :cattyfan: :scripto:

I do agree that there are certain people for which I have virtually no respect. However, I am a servant of the King and therefore I concider myself to be(idealy) a sheep led to the slaughter. Jesus showed respect to many people who did not respect Him. He also, was quite disrespectful toward people whom the Jews thought very highly. I guess the distinction is mute though since I am not in a position of authority to decide who deserves my respect and who does not. God is no respecter of persons in regard to who is a sinner or not. I am as much a sinner as the next man, although I have found grace , I have been allowed a mercy of which I do not deserve. :king:

thus i will BE respectful at least at a base level to all people. For I was once lost in sin, and was saved by truth given by a caring hand. If it had been shoved down my throat I would have spewn it out. We shoud not provoke children to wrath, nor should we go about prvoking lost sinners to wrath. :box:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
This whole TOL population would be alot better off if they realized that when Jesus rebuked the
Pharisees, he was referring to "us," not "them." Honestly, the lack of humility before the WORD
of God (i.e. Jesus the Christ) here is unbelievable.
Are you referring to the WORD of god or yourself. I fear the latter.
Make sure you are sinless, have no beams in your own eye, before throwing stones and
trying to "correct" others. No one is good enough, no not one.
Then you are being hypocritical unless you are, in fact, sinless.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Just because it is his opinion doesn't rule out the possibility that it is also absolute truth. Some opinions are necessarily closer to the Truth than others.

I would need more than "closer to the truth than others" before I condemned a person!

Delusional people have opinions as well, but then their opinions are not usually truth!

I am not suggesting that we NEVER rebuke people of whom we have no personal relationship. there are appropriate times to rebuke all people. My point was, for the sake of the person being rebuked, that our confrontation is more effective when we have a relationship of respect as a foundation from which to launch the conversation. :cattyfan: :scripto:

thus i will BE respectful at least at a base level to all people. For I was once lost in sin, and was saved by truth given by a caring hand. If it had been shoved down my throat I would have spewn it out. We shoud not provoke children to wrath, nor should we go about prvoking lost sinners to wrath. :box:

At last! An honest statement that shows thought on the part of the author!

You may want to consider prior to you rebuking a person that truth differs from one person to another especially when delving in the metaphysical realm. Their truth is as taught by their environment, their society, their families, their country, their education and life's experiences. Therefore, your truth may never be their truth! And neither of you may be incorrect in your assumption.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
True, but continuing to beat them with the stick does not help them see the carrot.
Even if you had a point you have already said this never happens.

What did I say does not exist?
You could not accuse anyone here of only ever telling people they are going to hell. So which is it CM? Is it appropriate to tell people the truth about their situation with God or not?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
You could not accuse anyone here of only ever telling people they are going to hell. So which is it CM? Is it appropriate to tell people the truth about their situation with God or not?
Yes. Presentation matters.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
It's Jesus' commandment on the path to follow. Think on it when you're out in the woods worshipping sticks.

Since you obviously know nothing about me or my religious beliefs, maybe you should stick to one you do know "a little about"!

Simply because you decide to follow a specific belief, does not mean all others are correct or incorrect...it is just the one you have decided to believe for one reason or another..

Seems as if you are confronted by a Muslim religious fanatic or a Christian religious fanatic, you're just confronted with a religious fanatic pushing their personal belief down some one else's throat....!

You all sound alike!:box: You all like to fight over something neither of the two can prove beyond an emotional belief!

Just a bunch of crazies killing in the name of God!

Do you really enjoy killing that much?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Since you obviously know nothing about me or my religious beliefs, maybe you should stick to one you do know "a little about"!

Simply because you decide to follow a specific belief, does not mean all others are correct or incorrect...it is just the one you have decided to believe for one reason or another..

Seems as if you are confronted by a Muslim religious fanatic or a Christian religious fanatic, you're just confronted with a religious fanatic pushing their personal belief down some one else's throat....!

You all sound alike!:box: You all like to fight over something neither of the two can prove beyond an emotional belief!

Just a bunch of crazies killing in the name of God!

Do you really enjoy killing that much?
Let's see if we can follow this line of reasoning. Anyone who doesn't know lightbringer is a killer. :think:

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Let's see if we can follow this line of reasoning. Anyone who doesn't know lightbringer is a killer. :think:

Would never deny that which I have done in the past, for at the time I was justified by my belief of the time...many years later I stopped listening to what I was told and started making decisions based on what was morally right! Since then, I haven't killed any one, I live a much better life with more understanding toward others. I no longer believe that my way is the only way, therefore I do not belong to a group that will put others down simply due to a difference in faith or perception.

I will ask question of others as to why they still believe in what I did many years ago!

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Would never deny that which I have done in the past, for at the time I was justified by my belief of the time...many years later I stopped listening to what I was told and started making decisions based on what was morally right! Since then, I haven't killed any one, I live a much better life with more understanding toward others. I no longer believe that my way is the only way, therefore I do not belong to a group that will put others down simply due to a difference in faith or perception. I will ask question of others as to why they still believe in what I did many years ago!
Shouldn't you already know all the answers to those questions?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Which is more important. The presentation or the telling?
They are equally important. If you are not telling the truth then what you are telling them is useless. If you are presenting the truth in such a way that it causes them to refuse to listen, it makes the truth equally useless.

When I was in college a young man in a 3 piece suit came to campus. He stood in the square and called all the students whores and whore mongers. Given the nature of college campuses, he was probably more right than wrong. He was yelling that God loved us anyway abut we must turn away from our evil ways. About this time a gay kid came up to him asked if God loved him too. Our proud, card carrying member of the Moral Majority, replied, "Yes, you miserable sot."

Now, what this you evangelist was saying about the students was probably more true than not. Most probably did not know Christ and needed. But, because of his presentation, he was seen as an amusing moment of street theater. Everybody there ganged up on him and attacked him and his morals. Nobody came forward to be saved. His net effect for Christ that day was close to zero. It is possible that his words hit somebody in the heart an they later came to Christ because of this preacher. I don't know. What I saw, was a young man who drove more people away from Christ than towards Him.

Remember always, the great commission says to go forth and make believers of all nations. IT does not say go forth a rebuke all men, it says make believers. Paul even used different approaches depending on his audience. He went as a Jew to Jew's and as a Gentile to Gentile's. If our presentation of the truth does more to drive people away from Chrsit than toward Him, then we are violating our commission.