The "without cause" hermeneutic.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Same here.:wave2:
And there we have it. It is entirely possible that God has plans to use your style of rebuke and my style of reaching out to reach far more souls than either of us alone could dream of.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
So is it still a cood cause to rebuke the Christian for believing in ridicoulas creation myths as facts ?

Is it a good enough cause to rebuke a Christian for believing that all the dumb stuff in the bible is litteral that makes no sense, Adam and Eve, Noah, Babel, The Birth Death Resurection of a God.. person who is God but not god who died but didn't cos God wouldn't be a God if he could die... who died in the flesh... but again didn't because he's still alive.... who spent 33 years on this miserable planet only to go back to paradise with himself for another 2000 years watching whilst the world murders millions of it's unborn per year... I mean really when's he gonna come back and sort us out eh ??? couple of million more needed to break the camels back ???

Come off it I rebuke you all for believing in this asinine stuff. Sort yourselves out.
You can't even agree amongst yourself your message is that incomprehensible.

You tell other Chrisitians they are baby killer, perverts and demons but act like demon's yourselves ( You know who you are )

Is it a good enough Cause to rebuke you all because your minds have been indoctrinated beyond repair or is it only the Christians that can rebuke because the "Good book" says so ?

Just a question... do you have the monopoly on rebuking ?

Sure, you can rebuke Christians, but what do you base your rebuke on? What is your frame of reference and why do you believe what you do? You said, "I mean really when's he gonna come back and sort us out eh ??? couple of million more needed to break the camels back ???"

Doogie, your world view has no savior. It is bleak and desolate and empty. Christians have a hope of something better and we have faith in a Creator who knows better than we do, even if it's painful sometimes.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Though intended as irony, it illustrates the point I have been trying to make. Rebuke is meaningless in some situations and counter productive in others. If all you do is rebuke then it is entirely possible you will utterly and completely fail to have a meaningful impact on the life of an unbeliever. Your rebukes have no impact on Doogie. Might friendship?
You're attempting to restate the thread title, but you have a certain bias.... Can you name one person who only ever rebukes non-believers?

Kick the dust from your feet and call him a dog not worthy of your pearls but remember this. TOL is a house of believers. We have opened our doors to unbelievers. The can quit coming at any time or be banned at any time. But why they are here, in our Christian community, of their own choice, then there is a chance that they will see something that changes there mind. We owe them that.
If telling them they are going to a Godless eternity does not change their minds then nothing else really matters all that much...

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
And there we have it. It is entirely possible that God has plans to use your style of rebuke and my style of reaching out to reach far more souls than either of us alone could dream of.

Great! So do you agree with The "without cause" hermeneutic?

We shouldn't rebuke, condemn, argue, or otherwise divide WITHOUT CAUSE.

Yes, folks it's the "without cause" hermeneutic.

Matthew 5:22 “But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment.

Yet if there is cause...

Luke 17:3 “Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.

1Timothy 5:20 Those who are sinning rebuke in the presence of all, that the rest also may fear.

2Timothy 4:2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

Titus 1:13 This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith,

Titus 2:15 Speak these things, exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no one despise you.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Great! So do you agree with The "without cause" hermeneutic?

We shouldn't rebuke, condemn, argue, or otherwise divide WITHOUT CAUSE.

Yes, folks it's the "without cause" hermeneutic.

Matthew 5:22 “But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment.

Yet if there is cause...
Luke 17:3 “Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.

1Timothy 5:20 Those who are sinning rebuke in the presence of all, that the rest also may fear.

2Timothy 4:2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

Titus 1:13 This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith,

Titus 2:15 Speak these things, exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no one despise you.
I never said I did. In fact, my whole participation in this thread has been me rebuking many of my fellow believers, with cause! But note that I never once needed to call anybody and idiot, demon possessed or any other name. I made my points from a Biblical perspective and supported them with scripture when necessary. No insults, no straw men, no baseless accusations. Just a simple rebuke to remind people that calling people names, insulting them, claiming they are demon possessed haters of Christ accomplishes the exact opposite of what you may be intending.

Rebuke with authority, not hate and vitriol.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
You're attempting to restate the thread title, but you have a certain bias.... Can you name one person who only ever rebukes non-believers?
Only ever rebukes, no. When dealing with people, no one is always perfectly consistent in their behavior. Mostly, you bet ya. CRASH is unrelenting in his opinion that gays, and others, should be publicly and painfully executed, lovingly of course. Sozo/Mystery, to the best of my knowledge, has never offered Godrulz any thing but some of the worst "rebukes" seen on TOL. No edification, no teaching, just accusations of being a Christ hater simply because Godrulz does not march lock-step with Sozo's belief system. Lighthouse is always ready to hurl "rebuke" when ever he encounters somebody he does not agree with.

In fairness, I do not read all of their posts and I have seen all of these people post some really go replies. On the whole, most of the posts I do see from these members go well past simple rebuke into vindictive disdain.

stipe said:
If telling them they are going to a Godless eternity does not change their minds then nothing else really matters all that much...
Wrong. You deny the carrot in favor of the stick. Some people respond to a presentation of the positive far better than a threat of the negative.

Aimey

DoogieTalons :bang: :chuckle: Lighthouse
:nono:

regardless of who is right, no mind will be changed by the attitude of either person represented in the above parody.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wrong. You deny the carrot in favor of the stick. Some people respond to a presentation of the positive far better than a threat of the negative.
No. People refuse the carrot and ignore the stick.

Or are you accusing me of exactly what you said does not exist?

Cracked

Jesus was harshest agains those who thought they knew it all but didn't. So, it could be surmized that if Jesus participated in these boards He would likely be rebuking those who thought they knew enough to condemn others as apposed to those that they condemned. There are pharisees among us, too.

colin73

Jesus was harshest agains those who thought they knew it all but didn't. So, it could be surmized that if Jesus participated in these boards He would likely be rebuking those who thought they knew enough to condemn others as apposed to those that they condemned. There are pharisees among us, too.
I agree.

The only problem I can see with this is that when people are stating their opinions with force, sometimes you have to respond with equal and opposite force in order to have any effect at all.

And let's not forget how frustrated Jesus got with his disciplies who continued to act as if they knew nothing, even though Jesus had been teaching them for years. So I don't think christians should act like they don't have the truth either.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I find that my confrontation of another person is more fruitful when I know them and speak to them according to thier bent. Some people are prone to respond to mild criticism while others are so hardened they must be cornered by thier lies and even then they will not repent.

Jesus knew exactly who would be moved by His name calling and harsh rebukes and in most of the cituations the crowd was more positively influenced than the one being criticised.

I know it can be hard, but so what? If they are so wicked as to keep on doing what they are doing, not repent, and not believe in Jesus, then God will not take them in. You have done what you are supposed to do.

colin73

I know it can be hard, but so what? If they are so wicked as to keep on doing what they are doing, not repent, and not believe in Jesus, then God will not take them in. You have done what you are supposed to do.

After all that Jesus did for them, you're not willing to go the extra mile?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just a question... do you have the monopoly on rebuking ?

Yes. You godless pervert supporting devil. :thumb: You serve no purpose on a place like this forum to discuss theology, the study of something you say isn't real. You are trying to drag unbelievers to hell with you.

I Who have given me a positive view of Christianity which I had not previously had...

Do they love you enough to tell you that Christ is going to grind you into powder?