The Trinity

The Trinity

• Total voters

keypurr

Such new thinking as the Trinity would have required the most careful and repeated explanation for men & women of the early Church, who had been steeped from birth in the belief that God was only one Person. It is undeniable that the idea of a sole, unique God was the most sacred tenet of Israel's national heritage. Their cardinal belief in one God could not have been quickly or easily dispelled.

In fact, belief in a trinitarian God would have been the most revolutionary and explosive concept ever to have rocked the 1st-century Church. Yet....of that revolution the New Testament gives us not one hint. Even so, there has been an on-going debate for 2,000 years. Now, wouldn't you say that any doctrine which has caused such hostility among professed believers in Christ deserves careful analysis?

I wouldn't challenge anyone's sincerity, however, sincerity does not make a belief true. The power of tradition is not to be underestimated. It is a valid thought that this new concept of God, as a trinity, emerged under the influence of Greek philosophy....which got stuck on top of the original faith that God is One.

Almost without exception, the N.T. means THE FATHER when it says "God." Maybe the Father is ignored today, but He wasn't in the days of the Apostles.

I don't get why people say that Jesus must be "either mad, bad or God." It is sufficient, and absolutely Biblical, to believe that he is the Messiah, the Son of God.

What did Jesus mean when he said, as he addressed the Father: "This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You sent"? (John 17:3)

:confused:

You have been blessed friend. You understand the difference between God and his Christ. They fail to see that Christ was sent by his God to come to us. They whitewash the truth on John 17:3.

Apple7

Owned at the doorstep...

Owned at the doorstep...

He is the One that Jesus called "the only true God." (John 17:3)

Clinic time, again...

If you were even remotely familiar with Greek, then you would already be cognizant that there are absolutely no grammatical reasons at all for denying that αληθινον θεον refers to Jesus Christ.

This can be deduced from a study of the article with multiple substantives connected via kai.

αυτη δε εστιν η αιωνιος ζωη ινα γινωσκωσιν σε τον μονον αληθινον θεον και ον απεστειλας ιησουν χριστον

hautē de estin hē aiōnios zōē hina ginōskōsin se ton monon alēthinon theon kai hon apesteilas Iēsoun christon

And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent. (John 17.3)

Thus…it is only out of your sheer ignorance of NT Greek that you have chosen to follow a cult which denies Jesus’ deity.

Most assuredly you cannot even begin to exegetically prove your lame position….nor do you even attempt to.

Owned.

Apple7

cult.

cult.

The trinity says that there are THREE Gods that make up God.

No...it does not.

You have wasted the last 40 years of your life fighting an incorrect strawman! :down:

Shame on you.

The Trinity is this:

3 Persons; 1 Being.

The Trinity is, and always has been, one God.

popsthebuilder

Clinic time, again...

If you were even remotely familiar with Greek, then you would already be cognizant that there are absolutely no grammatical reasons at all for denying that αληθινον θεον refers to Jesus Christ.

This can be deduced from a study of the article with multiple substantives connected via kai.

αυτη δε εστιν η αιωνιος ζωη ινα γινωσκωσιν σε τον μονον αληθινον θεον και ον απεστειλας ιησουν χριστον

hautē de estin hē aiōnios zōē hina ginōskōsin se ton monon alēthinon theon kai hon apesteilas Iēsoun christon

And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent. (John 17.3)

Thus…it is only out of your sheer ignorance of NT Greek that you have chosen to follow a cult which denies Jesus’ deity.

Most assuredly you cannot even begin to exegetically prove your lame position….nor do you even attempt to.

Owned.
That last line after the red text seems to show that GOD sent the Christ.

Right?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Is the Trinity biblical?
Is the Trinity taught in the Bible?
I voted yes.

But the biblical evidence for the Trinity is inconclusive (IMO---I understand disagreement with this statement, but the evidence for inconclusiveness is strong).
But the biblical evidence for Peter's continued succession in the Holy See is strong, in light of the fact of the Holy Catholic Church's uninterrupted existence since Pentecost. And the Holy See teaches the Trinity, as it has from the earliest Church.

So therefore when you tie together the biblical evidence for the Trinity with the biblical evidence for the continuation of Peter's pastoral primacy, and that office's continued teaching of the Trinity, the Trinity is biblical and is taught in the Bible.

KingdomRose

No it's not. The things that people put on the web!:dizzy: The great composer George Friedrich Handel wrote about God's Christ back in his day. Some of the words:

"For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth
(Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah)

"The kingdom of this world;
Is become the kingdom of our Lord
AND OF HIS CHRIST
"

"And He shall reign for ever and ever.
(Repeated three more times)"

KingdomRose

I voted yes.

But the biblical evidence for the Trinity is inconclusive (IMO---I understand disagreement with this statement, but the evidence for inconclusiveness is strong).
But the biblical evidence for Peter's continued succession in the Holy See is strong, in light of the fact of the Holy Catholic Church's uninterrupted existence since Pentecost. And the Holy See teaches the Trinity, as it has from the earliest Church.

So therefore when you tie together the biblical evidence for the Trinity with the biblical evidence for the continuation of Peter's pastoral primacy, and that office's continued teaching of the Trinity, the Trinity is biblical and is taught in the Bible.

What about Jesus' warning that there would be a majority that would CLAIM to be following him but would not be acceptable to him? (Matthew 7: 13,14) What about Jesus' rejection of even those who did "powerful works in his name"? (Matthew 7:21-23)

What about Jesus' parable of the Wheat and the Weeds (Matt. 13:25-30 & 36-43)? He indicated that the true sons of the kingdom would be overwhelmed by the false, and people would not really see the difference until the "end of the age."

Even the Catholic Church has admitted that there is no clear teaching of a Trinity in the Bible. (See The New Catholic Encyclopedia.) They say that it didn't have the meaning it has today until the 8th century. They say that the only suggestion of a Trinity is the baptismal formula of Matt. 28:19, but even that really doesn't say what the status is of each person mentioned (or, each person and one thing).

The Church relies on TRADITION, and teaches tradition over Scripture.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What about Jesus' warning that there would be a majority that would CLAIM to be following him but would not be acceptable to him? (Matthew 7: 13,14) What about Jesus' rejection of even those who did "powerful works in his name"? (Matthew 7:21-23)

What about Jesus' parable of the Wheat and the Weeds (Matt. 13:25-30 & 36-43)? He indicated that the true sons of the kingdom would be overwhelmed by the false, and people would not really see the difference until the "end of the age."

Even the Catholic Church has admitted that there is no clear teaching of a Trinity in the Bible. (See The New Catholic Encyclopedia.) They say that it didn't have the meaning it has today until the 8th century. They say that the only suggestion of a Trinity is the baptismal formula of Matt. 28:19, but even that really doesn't say what the status is of each person mentioned (or, each person and one thing).

The Church relies on TRADITION, and teaches tradition over Scripture.

You ignore the eternality of Jesus Christ thus reducing Him to a human only which is blasphemous in disregarding the witness of the Holy Spirit.

keypurr

I voted yes.

I question if the RCC is Holy. My opinion is it is a cult.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
If Jesus was not human he died for nothing.

If you have the time some day, why not read in the Bible where it
says that Christ (The Word) created all that is. You, ignorantly
believe that Christ is a "created being." When, in truth He is part
of the Trinity. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit
yet, these three are one. Your ignorance makes you a heretic.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
John 14: 8-9 states; "Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us."
9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known
me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show
us the Father?"

John 10:30 states; "I and my Father are one."

popsthebuilder

If you have the time some day, why not read in the Bible where it
says that Christ (The Word) created all that is. You, ignorantly
believe that Christ is a "created being." When, in truth He is part
of the Trinity. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit
yet, these three are one. Your ignorance makes you a heretic.
Based on scripture ignorance does not make a heretic or blasphemous person. The truly ignorant are innocent and will be judges by their works.

Peace

popsthebuilder

The way to see the Father, the One Creator GOD is through the messiah. How else would one perceive such? The Holy Spirit writes on the hearts and minds of the faithful but it says more than once in scripture that the true countenance of GOD cannot be seen by man. Christ is as close as our capacities and understandings will allow.

Jesus and the Holy Spirit are of GOD, and eternal. The flesh isn't eternal. So of course one can say Jesus is Lord or king, or even GOD, just know that has little to do with the flesh of the Christ and more to do with the Holy Spirit and Jesus's placement with the Father when he was resurrected and returned to the Father to set on his right hand and be the judge and way for all to pass through. He inherited all the Holy, the heaven and the earth, and power, by GOD's will.

Peace