The Trinity

The Trinity

• Total voters

Lon

Not knowing Greek I agree that I do not have the ability to discuss Greek. But do you have the ability to discuss Aramaic?
Yes, to a degree simply because it shares words with Hebrew, but it is like our English words that come from Greek: transliterations (sounds same, different alphabet).
We are kind of in the same boat Lon.
:???: It is VERY unlikely that the NT was written by the Apostles in anything but Greek. Translations? Sure.
The originals were Aramaic, they put a big question mark on the verse you chose to prove that Jesus is God or even part of God.
There are very few who ever have purported this BUT those from Aramaic background started the rumor. Kind of like insisting the Lord Jesus Christ was Caucasian or African, no? We bring our prejudices to our Bible reading, but God wants us to weed out the ones that don't belong. I know you see the Catholic church as tainting all of history, but your whitewash is overt and very much a baby out with the bathwater. The Catholic church 'became' more corrupt, it didn't start out that way and it took a long time. A lot of the history is 'good' history.
It's one of the words that the Greek can mislead with. How much Hebrew do you know?
A half of a year, structured and disciplined, so fairly decent start.
Teach me if you do, I have so much to discover about the Hebrew terms and culture.
Over the internet isn't good for this. There are Messianic Jews and Hebrew Christians that will teach you for free, likely in or near your home. It is a bit expensive buying the initial books, but worth the $$$ (most language workbooks and tools are a bit more expensive: school textbooks). Bible Lands and Customs texts would be worth checking out or purchasing.

keypurr

The firstborn of all creation in what context?

Colossians 1:18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.

Do you reject this scripture?
He is first born of all creation for ALL things were created through him. He is God's first creation. He is the greatest of all creations AND the Father was pleased with him for he had the fullness of his Father.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using TheologyOnline mobile app

keypurr

Isaiah says it DOES make him God. Are you reading these words?

Isaiah 41:4 KJV
Who hath wrought and done it , calling the generations from the beginning? I the Lord , the first, and with the last; I am he.

Isaiah 44:6 KJV
Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Isaiah 48:11-13 KJV
For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it : for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another. [12] Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last. [13] Mine hand also hath laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand hath spanned the heavens: when I call unto them, they stand up together.

That makes JESUS the Lord, the Lord of Hosts, there is NO OTHER GOD, the CREATOR, and this glory and this name is NOT GIVEN TO ANOTHER.

I am starting to agree that you may simply be stubborn. What ever philosophy you invent (see Col 2:8) does not erase these words. Seriously, what is your real objection that you are not telling us? Do you have that much PRIDE in this "spirit son" theory that you have invented that you would argue against Jesus and the prophets?

Colossians 2:8 KJV
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Rose, I just question everything. The spirit son was at the creation, and spoke and worked through Jesus. He is the number one servant of his God. The words from him come from the highest level of heaven. I have been doing some rethinking of the OT since about four years ago.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus was in the express image of God, but he isn't God, there is only one God and he is the father, and Jesus isn't him, and God is also the father of Jesus Christ, Jesus prayed to his father, so how can Jesus be the father too? He wasn't praying to himself! Saying Jesus is the father makes no sense whatever and there is nowhere in the Bible where Jesus tells us to call him father. And that's because there is only one father and he's the only true God!

Jesus is not THE Father, his Father is. And Jesus is not our Father, THE Father is.

You totally missed the point. Scripture says Adam was a son of God. Shouldn't a son have a father?

Do you not believe THE Father created all things through Christ?

Christ created Adam as flesh, THE Father creates us as Spirit. There is a difference.

1 Corinthians 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.

keypurr

Yes, to a degree simply because it shares words with Hebrew, but it is like our English words that come from Greek: transliterations (sounds same, different alphabet). :???: It is VERY unlikely that the NT was written by the Apostles in anything but Greek. Translations? Sure. There are very few who ever have purported this BUT those from Aramaic background started the rumor. Kind of like insisting the Lord Jesus Christ was Caucasian or African, no? We bring our prejudices to our Bible reading, but God wants us to weed out the ones that don't belong. I know you see the Catholic church as tainting all of history, but your whitewash is overt and very much a baby out with the bathwater. The Catholic church 'became' more corrupt, it didn't start out that way and it took a long time. A lot of the history is 'good' history. A half of a year, structured and disciplined, so fairly decent start. Over the internet isn't good for this. There are Messianic Jews and Hebrew Christians that will teach you for free, likely in or near your home. It is a bit expensive buying the initial books, but worth the $$$ (most language workbooks and tools are a bit more expensive: school textbooks). Bible Lands and Customs texts would be worth checking out or purchasing.
The translation I have contains so much information about the culture and Hebrew language that my mind is having problems digesting some of it. I read and reread to see the content and compare. I wish I had the ability to retain like I did forty years ago.

This translation is translated from the earliest of m/s. The early Eastern church used these early scripts. I try to compare with an open mind but I lean a bit with the Eastern translations over the Greek. Translating from Hebrew/Aramaic to Greek to English leaves room for more errors in translating.

Anyway, that's just my opinion as of now. I have a lot on AENT to read before I will fully see the content of the translation. But I find it extremely interesting.

marhig

It is generally considered a blasphemy to call someone "Lord and God" if they are not literally "Lord and God." Apostles saw God in the angels that visited them and they were corrected when they made a mistake in identification.

When Paul says the head of Christ is God, that is a statement confirming equivalence. The opposite assumption would be Christ is a separate force from God with a separate agenda. God is not a name and Christ is not a name, even though those words are sometimes used in place of such. God is authority and Christ is savior. Our salvation is sourced in the highest authority. 1 Corinthians 11:3 may support a "different person" conclusion but it does not speak against "God is one" either. The name of God and Christ is Jesus.

You keep asking "the first and last of what?" That's a stalling technique. Jesus used "I am the first and the last" three times in Isaiah and four times in Revelation. This identification could not be used with greater force, is means "I am the LORD God, I am the only God, besides which there is no other God." Whatever "first and last means" (which I will decline to be drawn off onto a rabbit trail on this here) it identifies the LORD Jehovah God.

You are ignoring the clear statements. "I am the first and last" couldn't be more clear. You own reasoning is based on a preconception, that God would not be referred to by different names dependent on application. If the user RRitter@TOL.com is exalted to glory by the System Admin, that does not preclude that the person of RRitter@TOL.com could also be the same person of the System Admin. You already have the answer to the "how could it" question. You could go on and on and the same answer would still apply.

Repetition of the same answered objection does not earn multiple credit. Accepting the clear revelation of scripture where Jesus speaks for the purpose of identifying himself would.

I'm repeating myself because, you told me that I should not set aside clear statements of scripture. I was showing you that I haven't. Scripture clearly shows us that Jesus is the son of God and that God is his his father and his God also, which I have shown clearly through the scriptures. Why should I believe you and others "through faith" hoping to receive understanding as to Jesus being God when the scriptures clearly state otherwise? So I was showing you why I believe the way i do, and why it is crystal clear to me that Jesus isn't God. The trinity doctrine was made up by a group of men around a table 300 years after Jesus. And even they took a while to agree and work out the trinity.

I could have quoted many more verses supporting the way i believe, clearly showing that God is the God and father of Jesus, but those who believe the trinity just brush those aside and skip over them.

It says in the Bible that Jesus is the Mighty God, but he's not the Almighty God, and in the very next verse after calling him the mighty God, it says God, even thy God has anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows, but that verse is never quoted by those who believe in the trinity. (Hebrews 1 8-9)

And, Jesus said this

John 10

Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Here is written in Psalm 82

I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

Jesus said that in their laws that it says ye are god's of whom the word of God came. And that's the only way that Jesus is God, because he was in the fullness of Gods holy spirit, he was Gods word made flesh because he didn't speak anything of himself. Jesus didn't then say that he was God, once they said that he makes himself God, he corrected them and said he is the son of God.

John 12

He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.*For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.*And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak

Jesus only spoke what God gave him to speak, thus he was Emmanuel, God with us, he came in the express image of God, but that doesn't make him God.

Also, God being the head of Christ doesn't mean that Christ is equal to God in anyway whatsoever, it means exactly that, that he's the head of Christ and Christ is the head of us. The only way that Christ has been exhalted, is because God has exhalted him and set him at his right hand.

I have to believe what I see in the scriptures. But one think I don't believe, and that is that it's right to judge that others are going to burn in hell because they don't believe in the same way as others do like some say on here. In condemning people to hell they set themselves as a judge, and God judges them because of that. I know you don't do this, I think you're like me, and I know that God looks at the heart. To me the Bible is there to help us, to guide us to reprove us and to show us the way of God, i believe that God wants our heart cleansed first and foremost and that is done through following the only way through his precious son Jesus Christ. If God's spirit is within us, then our hearts should be changing to be more like Christ, and that's what God wants to see, his son in us and through us. And i believe that that's more important than understanding the depth of the scriptures

1 Samuel 16

for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

Last edited:

marhig

Jesus is the first of the firstfruits and he is the last Adam.

Yes, and he's the firstfruits of you and me, and he should also be the end of you and me, and with him in our heart, we should be turning from sin unlike Adam. He should be our new beginning and the end of our old life and the end of our life in the flesh bringing us from darkness to light and from death to life in God.

marhig

Jesus is not THE Father, his Father is. And Jesus is not our Father, THE Father is.

You totally missed the point. Scripture says Adam was a son of God. Shouldn't a son have a father?

Do you not believe THE Father created all things through Christ?

Christ created Adam as flesh, THE Father creates us as Spirit. There is a difference.

1 Corinthians 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.
I believe that God created all things and he is the father and God of all of us, and Jesus Christ is his son whom God created all things through.

I believe that 1 Corinthians15:49 to be in this lifetime when we are changed from being in the image of Adam to being in the image of Christ.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I believe that God created all things and he is the father and God of all of us, and Jesus Christ is his son whom God created all things through.

Yes, Jesus is the Son of the Most High.

But are you saying a son can't be a father?

Or are you saying a father can't be a son?

:idunno:

Lon

The translation I have contains so much information about the culture and Hebrew language that my mind is having problems digesting some of it. I read and reread to see the content and compare. I wish I had the ability to retain like I did forty years ago.
Try "Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah" by Alfred Edersheim as well. He was a Jew who converted so his book is large and imo, very good. You can get it for E-sword and other bible apps for free.

This translation is translated from the earliest of m/s. The early Eastern church used these early scripts. I try to compare with an open mind but I lean a bit with the Eastern translations over the Greek. Translating from Hebrew/Aramaic to Greek to English leaves room for more errors in translating.

Anyway, that's just my opinion as of now. I have a lot on AENT to read before I will fully see the content of the translation. But I find it extremely interesting.

Realize, scholastically, that this is exactly backwards: The Greek being original and with far more archeological support than any other fringe theory. This means AENT is a translation of a translation in academic circles. It is also partly true of the Textus Receptus but there is a lot of archeological veracity that verifies TR accuracy. It is a longer discussion and history to consider than this mere gloss but history proves out. There is a tendency in the age of the internet to question historicity and see conspiracy behind every door but this is a 'political' grooming of the masses rather than a theological one. We are the products of our environment and I think God gives us a good bit of grace but we as Christians need to be better culturally resistant. I think that welcome news, but it doesn't mean a conspiracy behind every bush. IOW, our society is on a pendulum swing (again cultural/political not theological) overtly questioning everything where we are better served accepting what is great historical weight. I don't see being anti-creedal as a good sign or attribute of followers of Jesus.

Rosenritter

I just added every no voter to my ignore list. They're going to hell.
Peace

1. How does one see poll results by voter?
2. Polls are usually taken at the entrance to a forum rather than the exit. Do you really want to exclude people who change their view?
3. Related to two, there isn't a way that people can change their poll vote, is there?

keypurr

Try "Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah" by Alfred Edersheim as well. He was a Jew who converted so his book is large and imo, very good. You can get it for E-sword and other bible apps for free.

Realize, scholastically, that this is exactly backwards: The Greek being original and with far more archeological support than any other fringe theory. This means AENT is a translation of a translation in academic circles. It is also partly true of the Textus Receptus but there is a lot of archeological veracity that verifies TR accuracy. It is a longer discussion and history to consider than this mere gloss but history proves out. There is a tendency in the age of the internet to question historicity and see conspiracy behind every door but this is a 'political' grooming of the masses rather than a theological one. We are the products of our environment and I think God gives us a good bit of grace but we as Christians need to be better culturally resistant. I think that welcome news, but it doesn't mean a conspiracy behind every bush. IOW, our society is on a pendulum swing (again cultural/political not theological) overtly questioning everything where we are better served accepting what is great historical weight. I don't see being anti-creedal as a good sign or attribute of followers of Jesus.
Thanks for your info Lon, it is nice to discuss without bickering. We should do it more often. I will chase down the book you mentioned, sounds interesting.

Reactions: Lon

Rosenritter

Isaiah 66:5 KJV
(5) Hear the word of the LORD, ye that tremble at his word; Your brethren that hated you, that cast you out for my name's sake, said, Let the LORD be glorified: but he shall appear to your joy, and they shall be ashamed.

Apple7

Isaiah 66:5 KJV
(5) Hear the word of the LORD, ye that tremble at his word; Your brethren that hated you, that cast you out for my name's sake, said, Let the LORD be glorified: but he shall appear to your joy, and they shall be ashamed.

'Debar Yahweh' = The Word of Yahweh = The Son.