The Left has become dangerously unhinged.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... the duty of paying to Caesar what belongs to Caesar...

i disagree

rather, the duty to recognize the futility of worldly things including Caesar, his government and your imaginary obligations to keep it functioning

for me, it squares with matthew 19:21

but i'm not surprised you read it differently :idunno:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
i disagree
rather, the duty to recognize the futility of worldly things including Caesar, his government and your imaginary obligations to keep it functioning
for me, it squares with matthew 19:21
but i'm not surprised you read it differently :idunno:
Me either. I tend to have fairly orthodox beliefs. That's why I set out a few commentaries on the point in addition to my own exegesis and argument.

In addition to those, there's a decent article from the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention entitled "A Defense of Taxes as a Christian Responsibility" that I include a link to at the end of this post. I believe they're the largest Protestant branch of Christendom in the U.S. at present.

It addresses the subject using a number of scriptures, from Romans, to Matthew, to 1 Peter.

I invite anyone interested in something more than their inclinations to consider it, along with the aforementioned commentaries provided in my last.

Link to the Article found HERE.

eider

I don't often disagree as opposed with TH, but I do disagree here. The Lord Jesus Christ said to "render unto Caesar's what IS Caesars."
In these United States "by and for the people" government serves us, and not the other way around. My money is ALWAYS my and your money and so the justification of taking it is ONLY as it serves you and I. When such arguably ceases, JudgeRightly has a very good point, but my point here is that trying to use Christ as 'supporting' taxes is false. It does not apply for several reasons, foremost because Caesar owned his own money. The citizens of the U.S. own our money. There is no such thing as rendering it to some government entity. Government is owned by us and not the other way around.

Pay your taxes (ROMANS 13:6)
:idunno:

Of course, if you support the poor laws of the Old Testament then you would be required to support poor folks with your money. Not charity, but by law.

Lon

And your distinction between Caesar and you is wrong, Lon.
Sorry, no. Rome was a dictatorship and people were subjugated. ONLY Romans were exempt from conqueror privilege. Some of this history may have been carried in your law classes, but a good deal of it is behind my Bible degree.

A Roman citizen had rights and ownership in his government too (ask Paul) if not equal to ours.
More like a turn of the century British citzen, and certainly not a government by the people and for the people.

But God didn't say the form of that government changed the nature of your relationship to it.
According to scripture, Jesus and His disciples were accused of not paying their taxes. It required a supernatural response to do so. This SHOULD tell you something: 1) the money owed was not on hand 2) it took supernatural means to pay it. You can try and argue with me all you like, but you need to do some more reading on this, imho.

All he said was that its authority was vested in Him and that we should give that government what it was due.
No. He didn't. He said to render what was already theirs back to them. A brief survey of Israel in captivity as well as Israel asking for a king shows that the 'consequences' would be taxation. Before? :nono: The tithe is represented differently than blood sacrifices and the consequences are loss of blessing, rather. Taxation was the warning of having any other king but God 1 Samuel 8:10-22

The fact that our government is more answerable to us, or that we have more indirect influence, doesn't mean we are literally the government (try passing a law on your own and expecting everyone to obey it).
Been done in my state.

but that we bear more responsibility for the state and that the government is meant as an extension of the popular will, within the constraints of Constitutional protections meant to safeguard the least powerful from the most and all from a sweeping but unsustained whim.
It seems to me, that such is more Democratic than Republican in such expression. I conversely believe no one particular man should have authority BUT that which we equally agree and esteem as an emissary for the collective whole of us.
What Jesus said of Rome is true for us today. Money is printed by the government and holds value because of that and not because you have a store of gold in your closet.
Not the same. Caesar was a dictator and owned his own coin and the countries that he and Roman predecessors had conquered. "To the victor, the spoils." One reason the Lord Jesus Christ was crucified, was specifically because He was accused of being a usurper of Rome as "King."

Just so, your taxes are an integral part of the functioning of our government and our obligation remains.
:nono: Not exactly. I do realize that we cooperate to accomplish things and that taxes are part of that process BUT it is NOT taxes TO the government but taxes on behalf of projects and services. There is no reason for the United States Government to exist other than to serve. Take service away and the job is simply authoritarian. You seem, to me, to have a LOT of democratic notions to your law practice and understanding and by that, I'm meaning political (big government, government in control). Libertarian and Republican are different ideas that are viable and work in our government and Constitution, and even law practice, again, imho. To me, it just seems you are the spokesman for the Democrat in this particular instance, than actually representing all of American life, politics, and law.

Lon

Pay your taxes (ROMANS 13:6)
:idunno:
Matthew 17:25-27
Thus the dichotomy is between exemptions as well as authority. "Government" cannot be authority in and of itself over Americans or it becomes tyranny. These United States are Governed by and for the People.

Of course, if you support the poor laws of the Old Testament then you would be required to support poor folks with your money. Not charity, but by law.
Not like you are thinking. We tend to import and export "Our" experiences, laws, and understanding into biblical laws and understanding. The 'tax' wasn't really there. There was a need to support priests and then the priests took care of the poor. There was an encouragement to personally look after the poor as well, by not over harvesting but allowing poor to glean the left-overs. Such was never a 'tax' like you are thinking of, nor was there a clear and decisive way to make one pay. In these, there was no $$$ being talked about.

I've been told of a dentist that has taken pies and other barter items for his services, but I don't think you can get by with sending corn to your local congressman. There are a LOT of differences between biblical instructions. God loves a cheerful giver. Show me the man or woman happily and cheerfully sending off their taxes (we actually have them in our state (WA) :noway: ). :e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sorry, no. Rome was a dictatorship and people were subjugated. ONLY Romans were exempt from conqueror privilege. Some of this history may have been carried in your law classes, but a good deal of it is behind my Bible degree.
There's just no biblical distinction between governments and the obligation Lon. Jesus was certainly aware of the Roman form when he responded.

You should check out the article I linked to by the Southern Baptist Convention in responding to Sod a couple of posts ago, along with a few of the commentaries I noted in a post before that. The article is brief, to the point, and solidly put together.

To me, it just seems you are the spokesman for the Democrat in this particular instance, than actually representing all of American life, politics, and law.
To me that sort of statement is just indicative of the right wing bias that almost always expresses itself in those terms, but the form of government remains immaterial to the point, Lon.

:cheers:

Lon

I tend to have unfairly orthodox beliefs.:nananana:
I guess that is why so many seem to disagree with me?:Slippery:
True, these tend to be the less orthodox grasps of scripture. On this particular, I simply have to call into question that which is an obvious wrong equation. There is no way Rome and U.S. taxes can be equitably valued tit for tat. It just cannot happen, thus I believe 'unorthodox' is often better formed orthodoxy, when it truly is willing to wrestle with what is there and what is obviously not there. Fear mongering is absolutely the worst excuse for bleeding a tithe I've ever seen (Paul was a tent-maker when funds weren't available, by example AND orthodoxy).

I've often been on the receiving end of VERY shoddy bible work (imho) demanding my tithe. Mark 7:9-13 1 Timothy 5:8 "Orthodoxy" would need to assimilate and fully embrace these verses.

Lon

There's just no biblical distinction between governments and the obligation Lon. Jesus was certainly aware of the Roman form when he responded.

You should check out the article I linked to by the Southern Baptist Convention in responding to Sod a couple of posts ago, along with a few of the commentaries I noted in a post before that. The article is brief, to the point, and solidly put together.
I was in a pretty intense debate with one of these gentlemen (my convention at the time). While I appreciate pastors echoing these, I know need drives exegesis at times. I cannot serve two masters. I worked VERY hard to make a wage as an associate pastor. Further, because it was my privilege to serve, I had no qualms when the congregation was bleeding dry. You simply don't tithe tax a people that are in debt in an greatly indebted blue-collar town. The short of the matter is I disagree with the article on several fronts and for important biblical reasons and principles (see my post just above, I truly believe some pastors, even in the SBC, are missing the point.

To me that sort of statement is just indicative of the right wing bias that almost always expresses itself in those terms, but the form of government remains immaterial to the point, Lon.
:nono: Not when you recognize one side and THEN the other as well. When that happens you know you are vetted. I realize I'm in there too, I'm just trying to say I think you are every bit as wet as I am when it comes to politics over such matters. I'm not opposed to taxes, btw. Along with others, I hate misappropriated or frivolous spending and believe Government does need to tell us exactly what they are doing with our collective monies.

Well, maybe you DO realize we are both all wet :cheers:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
True, these tend to be the less orthodox grasps of scripture. On this particular, I simply have to call into question that which is an obvious wrong equation. There is no way Rome and U.S. taxes can be equitably valued tit for tat. It just cannot happen, thus I believe 'unorthodox' is often better formed orthodoxy, when it truly is willing to wrestle with what is there and what is obviously not there. Fear mongering is absolutely the worst excuse for bleeding a tithe I've ever seen (Paul was a tent-maker when funds weren't available, by example AND orthodoxy).

I've often been on the receiving end of VERY shoddy bible work (imho) demanding my tithe. Mark 7:9-13 1 Timothy 5:8 "Orthodoxy" would need to assimilate and fully embrace these verses.

I agree, being a little unorthodox is a sign of a thinking person

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I agree, being a little unorthodox is a sign of a thinking person
I think thinking is a sign of a thinking person and orthodoxy tends to be the work of a lot of those over a great deal of time when it comes to scripture...so I read, come to my best understanding and look to church elders and commentaries to check myself. The problem with going it alone and ascribing our thinking to out of the box insight is that without an external check mistakes or a want of context can become a singular sort of orthodoxy and it's own contextual box, with no likely way out.

eider

Matthew 17:25-27
Thus the dichotomy is between exemptions as well as authority. "Government" cannot be authority in and of itself over Americans or it becomes tyranny. These United States are Governed by and for the People.

Not like you are thinking. We tend to import and export "Our" experiences, laws, and understanding into biblical laws and understanding. The 'tax' wasn't really there. There was a need to support priests and then the priests took care of the poor. There was an encouragement to personally look after the poor as well, by not over harvesting but allowing poor to glean the left-overs. Such was never a 'tax' like you are thinking of, nor was there a clear and decisive way to make one pay. In these, there was no $$$ being talked about.

I've been told of a dentist that has taken pies and other barter items for his services, but I don't think you can get by with sending corn to your local congressman. There are a LOT of differences between biblical instructions. God loves a cheerful giver. Show me the man or woman happily and cheerfully sending off their taxes (we actually have them in our state (WA) :noway: ). :e4e:

Hmmmm.
The Rich must support the poor (Deut. 15:7) and everybody is required to support the poor according to their means.(Deut. 15:11)
Widows (and the poor) should be able to borrow(Deut. 24:17) and no pressures should be applied on those who cannot pay.Ex.22:24 Deut. 24:10)

It's law...... not charity.

??

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Hmmmm.
The Rich must support the poor (Deut. 15:7) and everybody is required to support the poor according to their means.(Deut. 15:11)
Widows (and the poor) should be able to borrow(Deut. 24:17) and no pressures should be applied on those who cannot pay.Ex.22:24 Deut. 24:10)

??
Even so, the government is not to be part of it. Yet our government is not only part of it, but is the main entity that takes care of it.

Eider, could you please provide scripture that says that the government itself should handle supporting the poor?

eider

Even so, the government is not to be part of it. Yet our government is not only part of it, but is the main entity that takes care of it.

Eider, could you please provide scripture that says that the government itself should handle supporting the poor?

The 507 laws are all about government. You either follow them or not. Your choice.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The 507 laws are all about government. You either follow them or not. Your choice.

That's not an answer to my question.

I asked:

QUOTE=JudgeRightly;5262464 Eider, could you please provide scripture that says that the government itself should handle supporting the poor? /QUOTE

eider

That's not an answer to my question.

I asked:

QUOTE=JudgeRightly;5262464 Eider, could you please provide scripture that says that the government itself should handle supporting the poor? /QUOTE

And I answered, but to clarify, the 507 (and the other 106, actually) are all written for a theocracy. That's a government.

Apart from the 106, the 507 were all supported by Jesus....... take 'em or leave 'em.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
And I answered, but to clarify, the 507 (and the other 106, actually) are all written for a theocracy. That's a government.

Theocracy is "rule by God", making God the government, and humans the citizens.

And no, it wasn't written for a theocracy. It was written for a monarchy (law for the king to keep a copy of the law on him; God doesn't need to keep a copy of the law, because He revealed them).

Apart from the 106, the 507 were all supported by Jesus....... take 'em or leave 'em.

And I'm asking WHICH of those laws tells the government to take money from the citizens to give to the poor?

Answer: NONE.

Not one of the poor/needy laws tell the government to take money from the people in the nation (including those who work for the government) and give it to the poor. The laws are for the individual to follow.

Lon

Hmmmm.
The point again was 'taxes' vs giving. I don't neglect the poor but again, how would you know? God knows, but how would you or I know if someone saw someone who was poor and in need? [/QUOTE]
Widows (and the poor) should be able to borrow(Deut. 24:17)
:think:
and no pressures should be applied on those who cannot pay.Ex.22:24 Deut. 24:10)
Inductive or deductive on these?

??
1) The Law was talking about sharing crops and clothes, not money. 2) If we were Jews today, we might need to think about cash, but we need to accurately figure out what is applied to Christians. 3) It seems, to me, we are a little off the OP, but I am interested in where you are headed and how it might more directly apply. For me, this part of the conversation was to contest exactly how taxes are applied to a people and my analysis leads me to believe that scriptures for Christians talk about giving and not about tithing. There would have been no need for Paul to ever be a tent-maker if tithing was directly applied to the church. Btw, I'd think God can do whatever He wants with 10%. I'm not really against that, but against thing out of balance. The scriptures about giving first to the church, before taking care of your family, for instance, is important to my understanding. I've had pastors try to tell me "No! That's over and above your tithe!" Seems almost identical to what the Pharisees contested and so I began really questioning what was biblical and what was pharisaical at the time. Mark 7:9-13 1 Timothy 5:8