ECT The law of God, still abides.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Earlier you said this, "Here is the sum of the ten commandments: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy mind, and with all thy strength and thou shalt love thy neighbour as thou love thyself."

If God is love then why would Christ do away with love toward God and love toward neighbor?

He didn't but He didn't make it a condition for salvation see

If He had YOU nor anybody else would be saved.

In fact until you look at the command and SEE how impossible it is for you, you will not understand how much in need of GRACE you are.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Jesus said, "But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” (Matthew 19:17 NKJV)

Why do you believe Jesus was mistaken?

Wasn't that the young man who replied "I have kept the commandments from my youth" ?

Didn't Jesus send him away?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Wasn't that the young man who replied "I have kept the commandments from my youth" ?

The young man put his wealth ahead of God. That violates the first commandment. Jesus tested his faith and he failed.

OCTOBER23

No you don't, you try to keep the commandments, you aspire to keep the commandments....you wish

The handwriting [the commandments] which was against us was nailed to the cross....Christ is the end of the law.

=================================
We Try and Fail to keep the 10 commandments ???????

Do not LIE , Lust, Steal etc.

Yes we KEEP FAILING UNTIL WE GET IT RIGHT AND OVERCOME BY PRACTICING
TO DO RIGHT .

We ask for Forgiveness and JESUS JUSTIFIES US BEFORE GOD THE FATHER.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Philippians 3 KJV
(9) And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Hawkins

Commandments can be thought as something common to the various covenants.

Matthew 19:17-21 (NKJV)
17 So He said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments."
18 He said to Him, "Which ones?" Jesus said, "'You shall not murder,' 'You shall not commit adultery,' 'You shall not steal,' 'You shall not bear false witness,'
19 'Honor your father and your mother,' and, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' "
20 The young man said to Him, "All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?"
21 Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

It can be told here that Sabbath may no longer a valid commandment in the New Covenant. It is because as gentiles we don't keep Sabbath, we attend Sunday services instead.

A typical covenant may have like 4 key components;

1) commandments
2) law
3) grace
4) promises

Commandments may define the core of a covenant,

Matthew 22:40 (NIV)
40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Law is for a group of humans under a certain covenant to obey. Today, if you claim to be a Jews by your bloodline, you need to abide by Mosaic Law. Or else you'll be a gentile. As a gentile, you need to abide by the law written in our hearts. This is the default. Every human when born he's subject to one of these two covenants (old covenants) without exception.

When an adult grows up he may choose with consent to be under the protection of the New Covenant. As for gentiles, we have no hope in passing the Final Judgment if we failed to choose the New Covenant by repenting ourselves and put our faith in Jesus Christ.

The New Covenant is with the Law component minimized to zero, and the Grace component maximized to 100%. As gentiles we still need to abide by the Law written in our hearts, even though we are no longer judged that way. However, it is expected that we will inevitably break the Law here and there. It is thus more important for us to follow Jesus Christ's teaching, to be like Him, and to strive for being holy.

Right Divider

Body part
Commandments can be thought as something common to the various covenants.

Matthew 19:17-21 (NKJV)
17 So He said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments."
18 He said to Him, "Which ones?" Jesus said, "'You shall not murder,' 'You shall not commit adultery,' 'You shall not steal,' 'You shall not bear false witness,'
19 'Honor your father and your mother,' and, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' "
20 The young man said to Him, "All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?"
21 Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

It can be told here that Sabbath may no longer a valid commandment in the New Covenant. It is because as gentiles we don't keep Sabbath, we attend Sunday services instead.

A typical covenant may have like 4 key components;

1) commandments
2) law
3) grace
4) promises

Commandments may define the core of a covenant,

Matthew 22:40 (NIV)
40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Law is for a group of humans under a certain covenant to obey. Today, if you claim to be a Jews by your bloodline, you need to abide by Mosaic Law. Or else you'll be a gentile. As a gentile, you need to abide by the law written in our hearts. This is the default. Every human when born he's subject to one of these two covenants (old covenants) without exception.

When an adult grows up he may choose with consent to be under the protection of the New Covenant. As for gentiles, we have no hope in passing the Final Judgment if we failed to choose the New Covenant by repenting ourselves and put our faith in Jesus Christ.

The New Covenant is with the Law component minimized to zero, and the Grace component maximized to 100%. As gentiles we still need to abide by the Law written in our hearts, even though we are no longer judged that way. However, it is expected that we will inevitably break the Law here and there. It is thus more important for us to follow Jesus Christ's teaching, to be like Him, and to strive for being holy.
That is some psychobabble. That is some vain babbling.

The New Covenant (the one that the Bible describes) is between God and Israel. Period.

JonahofAkron

I know Jamie answered it, but I think it bears repeating for the sake of clarification: the command to put God first was not followed. Obviously, this means that the statement made by the rich young ruler was false and he had not followed all of the commands.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you ever pick up sticks on Saturday?

Picking up sticks was not the man's problem. However, to answer your question, no I have electricity where I live so I have no need to gather firewood. But I do make up my bed on the Sabbath ... do you think that is okay?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The young man put his wealth ahead of God. That violates the first commandment. Jesus tested his faith and he failed.

He obeyed the commandments which YOU insist is necessary to salvation, the commandments do not insist that he sell all he has.

So obeying the commandments is not the way of salvation

Nor is this scripture about salvation, it is about discipleship

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I know Jamie answered it, but I think it bears repeating for the sake of clarification: the command to put God first was not followed. Obviously, this means that the statement made by the rich young ruler was false and he had not followed all of the commands.

the scripture does not say so YOU say so, the law does not command any to sell all they have and follow Jesus.

This is a scripture concerning conditions of discipleship not salvation

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Which of God's ten instructions do you believe is not valid?

It is not the question, the question is will the keeping of them save you? no

Will keeping them keep you saved? no

Does trying to keep them in order to be saved negate faith in Christ? yes

glorydaz

That's true, but Jesus asked him to sell what he had and give it to the poor.

Why did Jesus ask him to do that? Because it would buy his way into heaven, or because he saw into the man's heart ....that he loved him money more than anything?

JonahofAkron

the scripture does not say so YOU say so, the law does not command any to sell all they have and follow Jesus.

This is a scripture concerning conditions of discipleship not salvation

I've never said it was about salvation. I should have clarified. I believe it is about discipleship and part of that incorporates Torah.