The Late Great Urantia Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furchizedek

Well said, lads! Carry on.

Furchizedek (hehe) :cheers:

There has been much discussion on the board about judgment and forgiveness, I thought I would post this sermon from Jesus on the matter:

1. THE SERMON ON FORGIVENESS​

159:1.1 One evening at Hippos, in answer to a disciple's question, Jesus taught the lesson on forgiveness. Said the Master:

159:1.2"If a kindhearted man has a hundred sheep and one of them goes astray, does he not immediately leave the ninety and nine and go out in search of the one that has gone astray? And if he is a good shepherd, will he not keep up his quest for the lost sheep until he finds it? And then, when the shepherd has found his lost sheep, he lays it over his shoulder and, going home rejoicing, calls to his friends and neighbors, `Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.' I declare that there is more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety and nine righteous persons who need no repentance. Even so, it is not the will of my Father in heaven that one of these little ones should go astray, much less that they should perish. In your religion God may receive repentant sinners; in the gospel of the kingdom the Father goes forth to find them even before they have seriously thought of repentance.

159:1.3"The Father in heaven loves his children, and therefore should you learn to love one another; the Father in heaven forgives you your sins; therefore should you learn to forgive one another. If your brother sins against you, go to him and with tact and patience show him his fault. And do all this between you and him alone. If he will listen to you, then have you won your brother. But if your brother will not hear you, if he persists in the error of his way, go again to him, taking with you one or two mutual friends that you may thus have two or even three witnesses to confirm your testimony and establish the fact that you have dealt justly and mercifully with your offending brother. Now if he refuses to hear your brethren, you may tell the whole story to the congregation, and then, if he refuses to hear the brotherhood, let them take such action as they deem wise; let such an unruly member become an outcast from the kingdom. While you cannot pretend to sit in judgment on the souls of your fellows, and while you may not forgive sins or otherwise presume to usurp the prerogatives of the supervisors of the heavenly hosts, at the same time, it has been committed to your hands that you should maintain temporal order in the kingdom on earth. While you may not meddle with the divine decrees concerning eternal life, you shall determine the issues of conduct as they concern the temporal welfare of the brotherhood on earth. And so, in all these matters connected with the discipline of the brotherhood, whatsoever you shall decree on earth shall be recognized in heaven. Although you cannot determine the eternal fate of the individual, you may legislate regarding the conduct of the group, for, where two or three of you agree concerning any of these things and ask of me, it shall be done for you if your petition is not inconsistent with the will of my Father in heaven. And all this is ever true, for, where two or three believers are gathered together, there am I in the midst of them."

159:1.4 Simon Peter was the apostle in charge of the workers at Hippos, and when he heard Jesus thus speak, he asked: "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Until seven times?" And Jesus answered Peter: "Not only seven times but even to seventy times and seven. Therefore may the kingdom of heaven be likened to a certain king who ordered a financial reckoning with his stewards. And when they had begun to conduct this examination of accounts, one of his chief retainers was brought before him confessing that he owed his king ten thousand talents. Now this officer of the king's court pleaded that hard times had come upon him, and that he did not have wherewith to pay this obligation. And so the king commanded that his property be confiscated, and that his children be sold to pay his debt. When this chief steward heard this stern decree, he fell down on his face before the king and implored him to have mercy and grant him more time, saying, `Lord, have a little more patience with me, and I will pay you all.' And when the king looked upon this negligent servant and his family, he was moved with compassion. He ordered that he should be released, and that the loan should be wholly forgiven.

159:1.5"And this chief steward, having thus received mercy and forgiveness at the hands of the king, went about his business, and finding one of his subordinate stewards who owed him a mere hundred denarii, he laid hold upon him and, taking him by the throat, said, `Pay me all you owe.' And then did this fellow steward fall down before the chief steward and, beseeching him, said: `Only have patience with me, and I will presently be able to pay you.' But the chief steward would not show mercy to his fellow steward but rather had him cast in prison until he should pay his debt. When his fellow servants saw what had happened, they were so distressed that they went and told their lord and master, the king. When the king heard of the doings of his chief steward, he called this ungrateful and unforgiving man before him and said: `You are a wicked and unworthy steward. When you sought for compassion, I freely forgave you your entire debt. Why did you not also show mercy to your fellow steward, even as I showed mercy to you?' And the king was so very angry that he delivered his ungrateful chief steward to the jailers that they might hold him until he had paid all that was due. And even so shall my heavenly Father show the more abundant mercy to those who freely show mercy to their fellows. How can you come to God asking consideration for your shortcomings when you are wont to chastise your brethren for being guilty of these same human frailties? I say to all of you: Freely you have received the good things of the kingdom; therefore freely give to your fellows on earth."

159:1.6 Thus did Jesus teach the dangers and illustrate the unfairness of sitting in personal judgment upon one's fellows. Discipline must be maintained, justice must be administered, but in all these matters the wisdom of the brotherhood should prevail. Jesus invested legislative and judicial authority in the group, not in the individual. Even this investment of authority in the group must not be exercised as personal authority. There is always danger that the verdict of an individual may be warped by prejudice or distorted by passion. Group judgment is more likely to remove the dangers and eliminate the unfairness of personal bias. Jesus sought always to minimize the elements of unfairness, retaliation, and vengeance.

156:1.7 [The use of the term seventy-seven as an illustration of mercy and forbearance was derived from the Scriptures referring to Lamech's exultation because of the metal weapons of his son Tubal-Cain, who, comparing these superior instruments with those of his enemies, exclaimed: "If Cain, with no weapon in his hand, was avenged seven times, I shall now be avenged seventy-seven."]

Caino

BANNED
Banned
So, why were the Jews so influential over Pilate? What political considerations could there have been that may have served as a foundation for Pilates tragic surrender?

PONTIUS PILATE

185:1.1 If Pontius Pilate had not been a reasonably good governor of the minor provinces, Tiberius would hardly have suffered him to remain as procurator of Judea for ten years. Although he was a fairly good administrator, he was a moral coward. He was not a big enough man to comprehend the nature of his task as governor of the Jews. He failed to grasp the fact that these Hebrews had a real religion, a faith for which they were willing to die, and that millions upon millions of them, scattered here and there throughout the empire, looked to Jerusalem as the shrine of their faith and held the Sanhedrin in respect as the highest tribunal on earth.

185:1.2 Pilate did not love the Jews, and this deep-seated hatred early began to manifest itself. Of all the Roman provinces, none was more difficult to govern than Judea. Pilate never really understood the problems involved in the management of the Jews and, therefore, very early in his experience as governor, made a series of almost fatal and well-nigh suicidal blunders. And it was these blunders that gave the Jews such power over him. When they wanted to influence his decisions, all they had to do was to threaten an uprising, and Pilate would speedily capitulate. And this apparent vacillation, or lack of moral courage, of the procurator was chiefly due to the memory of a number of controversies he had had with the Jews and because in each instance they had worsted him. The Jews knew that Pilate was afraid of them, that he feared for his position before Tiberius, and they employed this knowledge to the great disadvantage of the governor on numerous occasions.

185:1.3 Pilate's disfavor with the Jews came about as a result of a number of unfortunate encounters. First, he failed to take seriously their deep-seated prejudice against all images as symbols of idol worship. Therefore he permitted his soldiers to enter Jerusalem without removing the images of Caesar from their banners, as had been the practice of the Roman soldiers under his predecessor. A large deputation of Jews waited upon Pilate for five days, imploring him to have these images removed from the military standards. He flatly refused to grant their petition and threatened them with instant death. Pilate, himself being a skeptic, did not understand that men of strong religious feelings will not hesitate to die for their religious convictions; and therefore was he dismayed when these Jews drew themselves up defiantly before his palace, bowed their faces to the ground, and sent word that they were ready to die. Pilate then realized that he had made a threat which he was unwilling to carry out. He surrendered, ordered the images removed from the standards of his soldiers in Jerusalem, and found himself from that day on to a large extent subject to the whims of the Jewish leaders, who had in this way discovered his weakness in making threats which he feared to execute.

185:1.4 Pilate subsequently determined to regain this lost prestige and accordingly had the shields of the emperor, such as were commonly used in Caesar worship, put up on the walls of Herod's palace in Jerusalem. When the Jews protested, he was adamant. When he refused to listen to their protests, they promptly appealed to Rome and the emperor as promptly ordered the offending shields removed. And then was Pilate held in even lower esteem than before.

185:1.5 Another thing which brought him into great disfavor with the Jews was that he dared to take money from the temple treasury to pay for the construction of a new aqueduct to provide increased water supply for the millions of visitors to Jerusalem at the times of the great religious feasts. The Jews held that only the Sanhedrin could disburse the temple funds, and they never ceased to inveigh against Pilate for this presumptuous ruling. No less than a score of riots and much bloodshed resulted from this decision. The last of these serious outbreaks had to do with the slaughter of a large company of Galileans even as they worshiped at the altar.

185:1.6 It is significant that, while this vacillating Roman ruler sacrificed Jesus to his fear of the Jews and to safeguard his personal position, he finally was deposed as a result of the needless slaughter of Samaritans in connection with the pretensions of a false Messiah who led troops to Mount Gerizim, where he claimed the temple vessels were buried; and fierce riots broke out when he failed to reveal the hiding place of the sacred vessels, as he had promised. As a result of this episode, the legatus of Syria ordered Pilate to Rome. Tiberius died while Pilate was on the way to Rome, and he was not reappointed as procurator of Judea. He never fully recovered from the regretful condemnation of having consented to the crucifixion of Jesus. Finding no favor in the eyes of the new emperor, he retired to the province of Lausanne, where he subsequently committed suicide.

185:1.7 Claudia Procula, Pilate's wife, had heard much of Jesus through the word of her maid-in-waiting, who was a Phoenician believer in the gospel of the kingdom. After the death of Pilate, Claudia became prominently identified with the spread of the good news.

185:1.8 And all this explains much that transpired on this tragic Friday forenoon. It is easy to understand why the Jews presumed to dictate to Pilate—to get him up at six o'clock to try Jesus—and also why they did not hesitate to threaten to charge him with treason before the emperor if he dared to refuse their demands for Jesus' death.

185:1.9 A worthy Roman governor who had not become disadvantageously involved with the rulers of the Jews would never have permitted these bloodthirsty religious fanatics to bring about the death of a man whom he himself had declared to be innocent of their false charges and without fault. Rome made a great blunder, a far-reaching error in earthly affairs, when she sent the second-rate Pilate to govern Palestine. Tiberius had better have sent to the Jews the best provincial administrator in the empire. UB

Caino

faramir77

When i fist read Urantia i was quite inspired, then i spent a good year looking into the who, what and why of it all, only to discover, as it all too common with gnostic anitchrist writings, found it failing, flawed and ultimatly meaningless thus unfulfilling.
There is no practical application to ones daily existance save to engender ego-pride in having been privledged to have been gifted with some special secret revaleation only attained by the highly intelligent, such as thyself.

Can anything good come out from Chicago?

Aimiel

When i fist read Urantia i was quite inspired, then i spent a good year looking into the who, what and why of it all, only to discover, as it all too common with gnostic anitchrist writings, found it failing, flawed and ultimatly meaningless thus unfulfilling.
There is no practical application to ones daily existance save to engender ego-pride in having been privledged to have been gifted with some special secret revaleation only attained by the highly intelligent, such as thyself.

:chuckle: I have found nothing of any use which was channeled from demons, that's for sure.

Caino

BANNED
Banned

The irony is how much faith people put in skeptics, how much they rely on doubters to tell them what they believe.

Most peoples commitment to seeking God is shallow, they are not willing to go the second mile. Most don't read the whole book and allow the content to reach their hearts.

I have been studying the UB for 25 years and feel it's a much more consistent and a better explanation then the Bible. I'm also familiar with how this revelation came about.

The UB will eventually replace the Bible that has faulty stuff in it. Contemporary scholars can see that the Jews rewrote the OT books, they converted ordinary secular history into miraculous history. It was written for the child like mind such as Aimiel. Much of the NT was influenced by Paul's human sacrifice doctrines. Jesus taught a different Gospel long before anyone knew he was going to be killed.

Bust wishes

Caino

Aimiel

The UB will eventually replace the Bible that has faulty stuff in it. Contemporary scholars can see that the Jews rewrote the OT books, they converted ordinary secular history into miraculous history.
The funny part is: not one single fact stated in The Bible has ever been disproved. It is by far the single most accurate record of ancient history, and doesn't have any errors in it. It isn't childish minds which accept It's Truths, but rather child-like trust with which we trust in our Father and God's Holy Word as perfect Truth, which The Holy Bible is. The lies in the UB, which were channeled by a demon, not only cannot be trusted, they provide an obviously childish attempt at discrediting the one true source of God's Word available to men: The Bible.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
The funny part is: not one single fact stated in The Bible has ever been disproved. It is by far the single most accurate record of ancient history, and doesn't have any errors in it. It isn't childish minds which accept It's Truths, but rather child-like trust with which we trust in our Father and God's Holy Word as perfect Truth, which The Holy Bible is. The lies in the UB, which were channeled by a demon, not only cannot be trusted, they provide an obviously childish attempt at discrediting the one true source of God's Word available to men: The Bible.

The pride of idolatrous Bible worshipers will not allow them to ever admit the obvious; it contains egregious errors and heavily favors the Jews that wrote it as Gods chosen people.

Why, you ask? Because they lack real faith in the guiding presence of God. They have made the Bible into a God, a golden calf, a fetish, an idol. They ignore inconsistencies and lie to themselves, then they believe those lies. People don't believe the flood story because it sounds true, they believe it because it's in the Bible. If it wasn't then anyone seriously putting that story forward would be a laughing stock!!!!!

Aimiel is a good man, he truly believes he is doing a service to God by battling the most recent revelation given to us by Christ. At this point he has to much pride invested in being right about the book that he has not read and surly doesn't understand!

Had he read it he would have seen this frank admission about any revelation:

The Urantia Papers. The papers, of which this is one, constitute the most recent presentation of truth to the mortals of Urantia. These papers differ from all previous revelations, for they are not the work of a single universe personality but a composite presentation by many beings.

All other celestial ministrations are no more than partial, transient, and practically adapted to local conditions in time and space.

While such admissions as this may possibly detract from the immediate force and authority of all revelations, the time has arrived on Urantia when it is advisable to make such frank statements, even at the risk of weakening the future influence and authority of this, the most recent of the revelations of truth to the mortal races of Urantia.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
meanings and values.............

meanings and values.............

The inspiration, wisdom, values and meanings presented in the Papers are coherent, insightful, consistent and comprehensive to the condition and destiny of humanity. It is far from 'anti-Christ' (promoting the teachings of Jesus in their true ethical content and application) which makes for true religious practice.

The Papers do not represent the caricature of your distorted analysis, which appears based in ignorance and bias. I'd suggest educating yourself a bit more and doing a more serious(complete) reading of the content without preconceptions.

Intro. to the Urantia Papers

Urantia Book Related Websites

I dont know,....some thought that about Nazareth too.

pj

Last edited:

Aimiel

The pride of idolatrous Bible worshipers...
That's simply ludicrous. You don't know God, much less me, and you call me a 'Bible Worshiper'. Not only do Christians know in Whom they have believed (as Jesus told the woman at the well) but we know Him, and worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. God looks upon the thoughts and intents of the heart. Those who are spiritual who know The Lord aren't Bible worshipers, we have The God described in The Bible living in us, giving us our life and our very being.
... will not allow them to ever admit the obvious; it contains egregious errors and heavily favors the Jews that wrote it as Gods chosen people.
There are no errors, much less egregious ones. The Jews were chosen by God, although being chosen by Him is favor, from Him, although it doesn't make one's life easier, as might be presumed, but makes one's life harder, since God constantly corrects and challenges those who are His. He makes one's life tight, but right. We have a very narrow path to walk on, and it is always very challenging to do so. The best way I know how to pray is: "God, challenge me and change me. Make me what YOU want, not who I'm used to being."
Why, you ask? Because they lack real faith in the guiding presence of God.
I've found those who lack that faith in every church I've ever been to, and I've found people who know and walk in His Presence from just about every Christian denomination there is, including Roman Catholic.
People don't believe the flood story because it sounds true, they believe it because it's in the Bible. If it wasn't then anyone seriously putting that story forward would be a laughing stock!
I agree. God's Works often do sound impossible, because with men it is impossible.
Aimiel is a good man, he truly believes he is doing a service to God by battling the most recent revelation given to us by Christ. At this point he has to much pride invested in being right about the book that he has not read and surly doesn't understand!
You don't know the first thing about me... and you don't know that I haven't read your UB. The fact that I don't buy the lies in it doesn't mean I don't understand it. It does mean that I do understand what IS Truth and what is lies.
Had he read it he would have seen this frank admission about any revelation:

The Urantia Papers. The papers, of which this is one, constitute the most recent presentation of truth to the mortals of Urantia. These papers differ from all previous revelations, for they are not the work of a single universe personality but a composite presentation by many beings.

All other celestial ministrations are no more than partial, transient, and practically adapted to local conditions in time and space.

While such admissions as this may possibly detract from the immediate force and authority of all revelations, the time has arrived on Urantia when it is advisable to make such frank statements, even at the risk of weakening the future influence and authority of this, the most recent of the revelations of truth to the mortal races of Urantia.
Obviously designed specifically to take down any authority The Word of God might hold in the heart of anyone who puts any stock into the UB as being from above. It isnt' from above, obviously. God doesn't violate His Word. He isn't changeable, like your god is. He is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
That's simply ludicrous. You don't know God, much less me, and you call me a 'Bible Worshiper'. Not only do Christians know in Whom they have believed (as Jesus told the woman at the well) but we know Him, and worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. God looks upon the thoughts and intents of the heart. Those who are spiritual who know The Lord aren't Bible worshipers, we have The God described in The Bible living in us, giving us our life and our very being. There are no errors, much less egregious ones. The Jews were chosen by God, although being chosen by Him is favor, from Him, although it doesn't make one's life easier, as might be presumed, but makes one's life harder, since God constantly corrects and challenges those who are His. He makes one's life tight, but right. We have a very narrow path to walk on, and it is always very challenging to do so. The best way I know how to pray is: "God, challenge me and change me. Make me what YOU want, not who I'm used to being."I've found those who lack that faith in every church I've ever been to, and I've found people who know and walk in His Presence from just about every Christian denomination there is, including Roman Catholic.I agree. God's Works often do sound impossible, because with men it is impossible.You don't know the first thing about me... and you don't know that I haven't read your UB. The fact that I don't buy the lies in it doesn't mean I don't understand it. It does mean that I do understand what IS Truth and what is lies.Obviously designed specifically to take down any authority The Word of God might hold in the heart of anyone who puts any stock into the UB as being from above. It isnt' from above, obviously. God doesn't violate His Word. He isn't changeable, like your god is. He is the same yesterday, today and forever.

God is not the author of confusion, the Bible is not written by God.....and there are many different Bibles within 7 different orthodox churches.

THE SECOND ISAIAH

97:7.1 The destruction of the Hebrew nation and their captivity in Mesopotamia would have proved of great benefit to their expanding theology had it not been for the determined action of their priesthood. Their nation had fallen before the armies of Babylon, and their nationalistic Yahweh had suffered from the international preachments of the spiritual leaders. It was resentment of the loss of their national god that led the Jewish priests to go to such lengths in the invention of fables and the multiplication of miraculous appearing events in Hebrew history in an effort to restore the Jews as the chosen people of even the new and expanded idea of an internationalized God of all nations.

97:7.2 During the captivity the Jews were much influenced by Babylonians traditions and legends, although it should be noted that they unfailingly improved the moral tone and spiritual significance of the Chaldean stories which they adopted, notwithstanding that they invariably distorted these legends to reflect honor and glory upon the ancestry and history of Israel.

97:7.3 These Hebrew priests and scribes had a single idea in their minds, and that was the rehabilitation of the Jewish nation, the glorification of Hebrew traditions, and the exaltation of their racial history. If there is resentment of the fact that these priests have fastened their erroneous ideas upon such a large part of the Occidental world, it should be remembered that they did not intentionally do this; they did not claim to be writing by inspiration; they made no profession to be writing a sacred book. They were merely preparing a textbook designed to bolster up the dwindling courage of their fellows in captivity. They were definitely aiming at improving the national spirit and morale of their compatriots. It remained for later-day men to assemble these and other writings into a guide book of supposedly infallible teachings. UB

http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1346#U97_9_1

Caino

Aimiel

Those who aren't part of The Kingdom cannot comprehend same, or bring an argument which might shatter the reality of those who live, move and breathe every breath within that Kingdom. You're speaking from darkness to one who's in The Light. You can't put forth a single shadow which the light hasn't already exposed. It's the same lie that was the very first lie told on this planet: "Hath God said...?" Truly: He did say. He said a lot. He's still speaking. He doesn't speak a single syllable in the UB. It's from beneath. You don't believe His Word, so you aren't part of His Kingdom (yet).

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Those who aren't part of The Kingdom cannot comprehend same, or bring an argument which might shatter the reality of those who live, move and breathe every breath within that Kingdom. You're speaking from darkness to one who's in The Light. You can't put forth a single shadow which the light hasn't already exposed. It's the same lie that was the very first lie told on this planet: "Hath God said...?" Truly: He did say. He said a lot. He's still speaking. He doesn't speak a single syllable in the UB. It's from beneath. You don't believe His Word, so you aren't part of His Kingdom (yet).

God alone knows whats in my heart and that I am saved. You presume to stand in judgment of me while claiming the Bible is "the Word", what a fool and a typical christian hypocrite!

And if you knew the Bible it says quite clearly that the Son of God is the word, not the Bible. No where does the Bible claim to be the word, rather you have the spiritual sickness of needing to control likely because you lack control in some secret part of your life.

Caino

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
incredible

incredible

~*~*~

The amount of ignorance and religious presumption/egoity/exclusivity out there is amazing. A comprehensive and at least thorough research and understanding of what the Urantia Papers are and teach, their content, coverage and cosmology is at least essential to qualify one to critique the Papers, besides the fact of discussing particular subjects relative to man's spiritual condition and destiny...which the Papers go into great depth in explaining. Those interested in the UB have been given adequate resources to enlighten themselves, and draw from a theological perspective with cosmic significance and import.

Nitpicking on non-essentials or ad hominems are below the standards the celestials have modelled for us to emulate.

UB Fellowship

pj

Caino

BANNED
Banned
How were the Jewish people able to maintain some semblance of political identity under Roman rule? Was it because they were God's "chosen people", or were they "predicted people", an honour that went to their nationalistic ego?

THE JEWISH PEOPLE

121:2.1 The Jews were a part of the older Semitic race, which also included the Babylonians, the Phoenicians, and the more recent enemies of Rome, the Carthaginians. During the fore part of the first century after Christ, the Jews were the most influential group of the Semitic peoples, and they happened to occupy a peculiarly strategic geographic position in the world as it was at that time ruled and organized for trade.

121:2.2 Many of the great highways joining the nations of antiquity passed through Palestine, which thus became the meeting place, or crossroads, of three continents. The travel, trade, and armies of Babylonia, Assyria, Egypt, Syria, Greece, Parthia, and Rome successively swept over Palestine. From time immemorial, many caravan routes from the Orient passed through some part of this region to the few good seaports of the eastern end of the Mediterranean, whence ships carried their cargoes to all the maritime Occident. And more than half of this caravan traffic passed through or near the little town of Nazareth in Galilee.

121:2.3 Although Palestine was the home of Jewish religious culture and the birthplace of Christianity, the Jews were abroad in the world, dwelling in many nations and trading in every province of the Roman and Parthian states.

121:2.4 Greece provided a language and a culture, Rome built the roads and unified an empire, but the dispersion of the Jews, with their more than two hundred synagogues and well-organized religious communities scattered hither and yon throughout the Roman world, provided the cultural centers in which the new gospel of the kingdom of heaven found initial reception, and from which it subsequently spread to the uttermost parts of the world.

121:2.5 Each Jewish synagogue tolerated a fringe of gentile believers, "devout" or "God-fearing" men, and it was among this fringe of proselytes that Paul made the bulk of his early converts to Christianity. Even the temple at Jerusalem possessed its ornate court of the gentiles. There was very close connection between the culture, commerce, and worship of Jerusalem and Antioch. In Antioch Paul's disciples were first called "Christians."

121:2.6 The centralization of the Jewish temple worship at Jerusalem constituted alike the secret of the survival of their monotheism and the promise of the nurture and sending forth to the world of a new and enlarged concept of that one God of all nations and Father of all mortals. The temple service at Jerusalem represented the survival of a religious cultural concept in the face of the downfall of a succession of gentile national overlords and racial persecutors.

121:2.7 The Jewish people of this time, although under Roman suzerainty, enjoyed a considerable degree of self- government and, remembering the then only recent heroic exploits of deliverance executed by Judas Maccabee and his immediate successors, were vibrant with the expectation of the immediate appearance of a still greater deliverer, the long-expected Messiah.

121:2.8 The secret of the survival of Palestine, the kingdom of the Jews, as a semi-independent state was wrapped up in the foreign policy of the Roman government, which desired to maintain control of the Palestinian highway of travel between Syria and Egypt as well as the western terminals of the caravan routes between the Orient and the Occident. Rome did not wish any power to arise in the Levant which might curb her future expansion in these regions. The policy of intrigue which had for its object the pitting of Seleucid Syria and Ptolemaic Egypt against each other necessitated fostering Palestine as a separate and independent state. Roman policy, the degeneration of Egypt, and the progressive weakening of the Seleucids before the rising power of Parthia, explain why it was that for several generations a small and unpowerful group of Jews was able to maintain its independence against both Seleucidae to the north and Ptolemies to the south. This fortuitous liberty and independence of the political rule of surrounding and more powerful peoples the Jews attributed to the fact that they were the "chosen people," to the direct interposition of Yahweh. Such an attitude of racial superiority made it all the harder for them to endure Roman suzerainty when it finally fell upon their land. But even in that sad hour the Jews refused to learn that their world mission was spiritual, not political.

121:2.9 The Jews were unusually apprehensive and suspicious during the times of Jesus because they were then ruled by an outsider, Herod the Idumean, who had seized the overlordship of Judea by cleverly ingratiating himself with the Roman rulers. And though Herod professed loyalty to the Hebrew ceremonial observances, he proceeded to build temples for many strange gods.

121:2.10 The friendly relations of Herod with the Roman rulers made the world safe for Jewish travel and thus opened the way for increased Jewish penetration even of distant portions of the Roman Empire and of foreign treaty nations with the new gospel of the kingdom of heaven. Herod's reign also contributed much toward the further blending of Hebrew and Hellenistic philosophies.

121:2.11 Herod built the harbor of Caesarea, which further aided in making Palestine the crossroads of the civilized world. He died in 4 B.C., and his son Herod Antipas governed Galilee and Perea during Jesus' youth and ministry to A.D. 39. Antipas, like his father, was a great builder. He rebuilt many of the cities of Galilee, including the important trade center of Sepphoris.

121:2.12 The Galileans were not regarded with full favor by the Jerusalem religious leaders and rabbinical teachers. Galilee was more gentile than Jewish when Jesus was born. UB 1955

Caino

Furchizedek

Wow, you spent a year looking it all over, huh? Well, who was the "who," and what was the "what," and why was the "why"? Did you find out? Can you tell us? Can you be specific? What do you mean, "gnostic antichrist" writings? Do you actually believe in an "anti-Christ"? It sounds like you're simply a Christian and that The Urantia Book is not for you. Just move on. Others are ready to take your place. You know, I have found that for people who generally write about The Urantia Book the way that you do, the bottom line is this, "The Urantia Book is false because it's not what I already believe." That's the bottom line. Tell the truth, isn't that where you're coming from? And what's "gnostic" about The Urantia Book? That's a silly, lame charge. There's nothing gnostic about it. I have a question, Did you actually READ The Urantia Book? I'm guessing that you did not. Am I right? :rolleyes:

No, that's not true. It's free for anyone. For everyone. And of course the book says, "Of all human knowledge, that which is of greatest value is to know the religious life of Jesus and how he lived it." Do you remember reading that when you read the book? Yes, it's "new" information, but it's not for any "privileged" persons. Books are dirt cheap, $13.59 at Amazon.com for a 2000 page revelation from God with a free DVD of the complete audio reading. They are heavily subsidized to make them VERY affordable. Or one can read the book online for free at several sites. It's not "some special secret revaleation only attained by the highly intelligent" at all. Maybe you didn't "get it" but don't demean yourself like that.

You forgot the rest of the verse/quote:

John 1:46 And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.

Aimiel

God alone knows whats in my heart and that I am saved.
Sorry, but if you were, you'd realize that putting the words of a demon ahead of God's Word isn't something a saved person can do. The Holy Spirit is The One Who verifies His Word to those who believe. He doesn't verify lies.
You presume to stand in judgment of me while claiming the Bible is "the Word", what a fool and a typical christian hypocrite!
The Bible is The Words of God.
And if you knew the Bible it says quite clearly that the Son of God is the word, not the Bible.
There are three: The Written Words, The Living Word and His Spoken Word; all of which are Truth. The UB represents only lies.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
drive by shooters......

drive by shooters......

Wow, you spent a year looking it all over, huh? Well, who was the "who," and what was the "what," and why was the "why"? Did you find out? Can you tell us? Can you be specific? What do you mean, "gnostic antichrist" writings? Do you actually believe in an "anti-Christ"? It sounds like you're simply a Christian and that The Urantia Book is not for you. Just move on. Others are ready to take your place. You know, I have found that for people who generally write about The Urantia Book the way that you do, the bottom line is this, "The Urantia Book is false because it's not what I already believe." That's the bottom line. Tell the truth, isn't that where you're coming from? And what's "gnostic" about The Urantia Book? That's a silly, lame charge. There's nothing gnostic about it. I have a question, Did you actually READ The Urantia Book? I'm guessing that you did not. Am I right? :rolleyes:

Ignorance is really disempowering,...something only 'enlightenment' can remedy. It marvels me why any true seeker would not be open to accept truth in whatever packaging or format (conceptual frame) it appears in, seeing that truth comes to the planet in varying streams of light, inspiration....some having epochal significance. Those who mine the contents of a dispensational grant....can find those gems of spiritual insight and wisdom, otherwise they remain oblivious to a religionist who already assumes to know truth. The religious ego is perhaps the greatest obstacle to recognizing fresh and living truth.

pj

Stuu

The amount of ignorance and religious presumption/egoity/exclusivity out there is amazing. A comprehensive and at least thorough research and understanding of what the Urantia Papers are and teach, their content, coverage and cosmology is at least essential to qualify one to critique the Papers,
And what qualities are required to accept the findings of such comprehensive critiques when they demonstrate that the Urantia book is a work of plagiarism that attributes scientific work to supernatural beings and gets a substantial amount wrong because it copied outdated science?

I'd say those critiques are denied by people who show qualities of ignorance, religious presumption, egoity and an exclusivity complex.

Stuart

Caino

BANNED
Banned
On another thread the issue of how God is portrayed in the OT writings of the Hebrews as compared to today's concepts of God.

RELIGION AND THE MORES​

92:2.1 Religion is the most rigid and unyielding of all human institutions, but it does tardily adjust to changing society. Eventually, evolutionary religion does reflect the changing mores, which, in turn, may have been affected by revealed religion. Slowly, surely, but grudgingly, does religion (worship) follow in the wake of wisdom—knowledge directed by experiential reason and illuminated by divine revelation.

92:2.2 Religion clings to the mores; that which was is ancient and supposedly sacred. For this reason and no other, stone implements persisted long into the age of bronze and iron. This statement is of record: "And if you will make me an altar of stone, you shall not build it of hewn stone, for, if you use your tools in making it, you have polluted it." Even today, the Hindus kindle their altar fires by using a primitive fire drill. In the course of evolutionary religion, novelty has always been regarded as sacrilege. The sacrament must consist, not of new and manufactured food, but of the most primitive of viands: "The flesh roasted with fire and unleavened bread served with bitter herbs." All types of social usage and even legal procedures cling to the old forms.

92:2.3 When modern man wonders at the presentation of so much in the scriptures of different religions that may be regarded as obscene, he should pause to consider that passing generations have feared to eliminate what their ancestors deemed to be holy and sacred. A great deal that one generation might look upon as obscene, preceding generations have considered a part of their accepted mores, even as approved religious rituals. A considerable amount of religious controversy has been occasioned by the never-ending attempts to reconcile olden but reprehensible practices with newly advanced reason, to find plausible theories in justification of creedal perpetuation of ancient and outworn customs.

92:2.4 But it is only foolish to attempt the too sudden acceleration of religious growth. A race or nation can only assimilate from any advanced religion that which is reasonably consistent and compatible with its current evolutionary status, plus its genius for adaptation. Social, climatic, political, and economic conditions are all influential in determining the course and progress of religious evolution. Social morality is not determined by religion, that is, by evolutionary religion; rather are the forms of religion dictated by the racial morality.

92:2.5 Races of men only superficially accept a strange and new religion; they actually adjust it to their mores and old ways of believing. This is well illustrated by the example of a certain New Zealand tribe whose priests, after nominally accepting Christianity, professed to have received direct revelations from Gabriel to the effect that this selfsame tribe had become the chosen people of God and directing that they be permitted freely to indulge in loose sex relations and numerous other of their olden and reprehensible customs. And immediately all of the new-made Christians went over to this new and less exacting version of Christianity.

92:2.6 Religion has at one time or another sanctioned all sorts of contrary and inconsistent behavior, has at some time approved of practically all that is now regarded as immoral or sinful. Conscience, untaught by experience and unaided by reason, never has been, and never can be, a safe and unerring guide to human conduct. Conscience is not a divine voice speaking to the human soul. It is merely the sum total of the moral and ethical content of the mores of any current stage of existence; it simply represents the humanly conceived ideal of reaction in any given set of circumstances. UB 1955

Caino

Caino

BANNED
Banned
And what qualities are required to accept the findings of such comprehensive critiques when they demonstrate that the Urantia book is a work of plagiarism that attributes scientific work to supernatural beings and gets a substantial amount wrong because it copied outdated science?

I'd say those critiques are denied by people who show qualities of ignorance, religious presumption, egoity and an exclusivity complex.

Stuart

"The cosmology of these revelations is not inspired."

ACKNOWLEDGMENT

0:12.10 In formulating the succeeding presentations having to do with the portrayal of the character of the Universal Father and the nature of his Paradise associates, together with an attempted description of the perfect central universe and the encircling seven superuniverses, we are to be guided by the mandate of the superuniverse rulers which directs that we shall, in all our efforts to reveal truth and co-ordinate essential knowledge, give preference to the highest existing human concepts pertaining to the subjects to be presented. We may resort to pure revelation only when the concept of presentation has had no adequate previous expression by the human mind.

.......Accordingly, in making these presentations about God and his universe associates, we have selected as the basis of these papers more than one thousand human concepts representing the highest and most advanced planetary knowledge of spiritual values and universe meanings. Wherein these human concepts, assembled from the God-knowing mortals of the past and the present, are inadequate to portray the truth as we are directed to reveal it, we will unhesitatingly supplement them, for this purpose drawing upon our own superior knowledge of the reality and divinity of the Paradise Deities and their transcendent residential universe.

THE LIMITATIONS OF REVELATION

101:4.1 Because your world is generally ignorant of origins, even of physical origins, it has appeared to be wise from time to time to provide instruction in cosmology. And always has this made trouble for the future. The laws of revelation hamper us greatly by their proscription of the impartation of unearned or premature knowledge. Any cosmology presented as a part of revealed religion is destined to be outgrown in a very short time. Accordingly, future students of such a revelation are tempted to discard any element of genuine religious truth it may contain because they discover errors on the face of the associated cosmologies therein presented.

101:4.2 Mankind should understand that we who participate in the revelation of truth are very rigorously limited by the instructions of our superiors. We are not at liberty to anticipate the scientific discoveries of a thousand years. Revelators must act in accordance with the instructions which form a part of the revelation mandate. We see no way of overcoming this difficulty, either now or at any future time. We full well know that, while the historic facts and religious truths of this series of revelatory presentations will stand on the records of the ages to come, within a few short years many of our statements regarding the physical sciences will stand in need of revision in consequence of additional scientific developments and new discoveries. These new developments we even now foresee, but we are forbidden to include such humanly undiscovered facts in the revelatory records. Let it be made clear that revelations are not necessarily inspired. The cosmology of these revelations is not inspired. It is limited by our permission for the co-ordination and sorting of present-day knowledge. While divine or spiritual insight is a gift, human wisdom must evolve. UB 1955

Caino

Status
Not open for further replies.