The Incarnation of the WORD

Prizebeatz1

Let's look...

א בְּרֵאשִׁית, בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים, אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם, וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ.

1.1 Bereishit bara Elohim et hashamayim ve'et ha'aretz.

In the beginning created God the heavens and the earth;

The compound Hebrew noun “hashamayim ve'et ha'aretz”, “heavens” (plural) and “earth” (singular) with the definite articles and the conjunction, carries with it a distinct meaning.

Just as the English words “under” and “statement” and “dragon” and “fly” put together as compound nouns take on specific meanings.

“Hashamayim ve'et ha'aretz” consistently refers to the totality of the physical universe: matter, energy, space, and time.

References:

Creation & Time
Waltke
pp. 20, 25-26

What's your point?

Prizebeatz1

The Bible is the story of humanity's journey from mortals to immortals. It's quite a story.

That's one way to see it. Sure it has history in it but I don't agree that it's a book about human history. I think it points to something much much bigger and the fact that we are one with that something that is much much bigger.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Oh really? What about the law that says matter can neither be created or destroyed?

That's only true in the physical realm, which is a manifestation of the Spirit's power. God needed physical reproduction to provide candidates for spiritual reproduction based on Christ's character.

And so it is.

Prizebeatz1

My point?

Don't play stupid.

It directly answers your question of ..."In the beginning....." What beginning does this refer to?"

Okay so do we agree this is referring to the beginning of the heavens and the earth? is this not encouraging the belief that we are separate from God?

Prizebeatz1

That's only true in the physical realm, which is a manifestation of the Spirit's power. God needed physical reproduction to provide candidates for spiritual reproduction based on Christ's character.

And so it is.

Of course the personality is going to try to rationalize this away because it is the father of lies. Maybe its hiding from being exposed to the fact that it thinks it has separated from God. Now it has to try to find ways to compensate for a hole where it's soul should be. It feels it is missing the feeling of its infinite self-worth and it reaches out to try to find it somewhere outside when it's been within itself the whole time. God gave us the soul for a reason. Look within my child. "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Prizebeatz1

Scripture clearly refers to the physical Universe, in Gen 1.1

What does the rest of Gen 1 tell us?

How do we reconcile this with God's omnipresence? Is God not everywhere? Can we place a limit on what is limitless? Can we place restrictions on what is infinite and eternal? If so, then perhaps we don't have God. Perhaps we have something else. I've heard somewhere before that the definition of the word devil connotes the act of devaluing. Maybe the personality wants to devalue God because that is the same way it treats itself on an unconscious level. Is it possible we are unconsciously projecting this desire to devalue onto the outside world? What is fueling this unconscious projection? Is there self-hatred in our hearts that we don't know how to deal with? Can we own the fact that we feel shame and guilt from the mistake of thinking we have separated? Do we notice the tendency to avoid these feelings? Do we recognize that the more we avoid them the worse they get? Have we judged ourselves unworthy because we have bitten from the forbidden fruit? Do we think we can make our way back to God through blood sacrifice or through making up our own god out of a man and worshipping him instead? Do we think God is going to punish us when we do finally get back to him? What is the story of the prodigal son trying to say to us? If we knew that we are one with God because of the soul and we could actually feel our self-worth and actually feel good enough about ourselves without having to lift a finger, could we see that the scriptures are even more true than we originally thought?

Apple7

How do we reconcile this with God's omnipresence? Is God not everywhere? Can we place a limit on what is limitless? Can we place restrictions on what is infinite and eternal? If so, then perhaps we don't have God. Perhaps we have something else. I've heard somewhere before that the definition of the word devil connotes the act of devaluing. Maybe the personality wants to devalue God because that is the same way it treats itself on an unconscious level. Is it possible we are unconsciously projecting this desire to devalue onto the outside world? What is fueling this unconscious projection? Is there self-hatred in our hearts that we don't know how to deal with? Can we own the fact that we feel shame and guilt from the mistake of thinking we have separated? Do we notice the tendency to avoid these feelings? Do we recognize that the more we avoid them the worse they get? Have we judged ourselves unworthy because we have bitten from the forbidden fruit? Do we think we can make our way back to God through blood sacrifice or through making up our own god out of a man and worshipping him instead? Do we think God is going to punish us when we do finally get back to him? What is the story of the prodigal son trying to say to us? If we knew that we are one with God because of the soul and we could actually feel our self-worth and actually feel good enough about ourselves without having to lift a finger, could we see that the scriptures are even more true than we originally thought?

What does scripture tell us?

Prizebeatz1

What does scripture tell us?

Scripture doesn't answer half of these questions. Where are you going to turn now? There goes your personality running and hiding again. That doesn't fool anybody. Now you are hiding behind a blade of grass thinking no one can see you. This is the behavior of Adam and Eve after they had eaten from the forbidden fruit. "Who told you that you were naked? (Genesis 3:11)"

oatmeal

"In the beginning was the WORD and the WORD was with God and the WORD was God" John 1:1.

And the WORD was made flesh and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father) full of grace and truth" John 1:14.

The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus was God in the flesh. The Bible also clearly teaches that God is three persons in one. 1 John 5:7. Don't ask me how that can be. All that we have to go by is what the scripture says. I believe and have faith in what the Bible says.

It is not possible for anyone to be saved if one believes that Jesus was Just a good man and was not God, Jesus said, "I said therefore unto you, that you shall die in your sins: for if you believe not that I am he (God), you will die in your sins" John 8:24.

Multitudes will die in their sins because they do not believe that Jesus was God in the flesh. It is not possible to believe that Jesus was just a man and be saved. How can you have faith in a man? If Jesus was just a man then that means that he was a sinner like us. Only God can turn water into wine, only God can heal the sick, feed 5000 and raise the dead.

Jesus was God with us and God for us. Jesus came into the world to do for us that which we cannot do for ourselves. Religion wants you to believe that you can please God with your works or by what you have become. In the sight of God your very best works is sin. God only accepts the works and the obedience of Jesus for the salvation of fallen man.

The incarnation of the word means that Jesus is God's new Adam and our new humanity, "If any man be in Christ, he is a new creation" 2 Corinthians 5:17. We become part of God's new creation by being in Christ. To be in Christ means that you have renounced your righteousness or your religion and you are trusting in Christ and in Christ alone for your salvation.

"For he that has entered into his rest, he also has ceased from his own works (religion) as God did from his" Hebrews 4:10.

If the Word was God and Jesus us God then could you tell me who or what "the word was with God" means?

If indeed, Jesus is God then "the word was with God" could read "the word was with God/Jesus"

Who or what is the word that was with God/Jesus?

For that matter where does scripture make it so obvious that

The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus was God in the flesh.
????

John 1:14?

That does not say that God was made flesh, it says the word was made flesh.

That goes back to my original question, who or what is the word that was with God/Jesus from John 1:1?

Apple7

If the Word was God and Jesus us God then could you tell me who or what "the word was with God" means?

If indeed, Jesus is God then "the word was with God" could read "the word was with God/Jesus"

????

That goes back to my original question, who or what is the word that was with God/Jesus from John 1:1?

In order to understand the NT, you must study the OT.

All throughout the OT, The Word of Yahweh (i.e. The Word of God) visited the prophets.....this was the pre-incarnate Word, Jesus Christ.

Robert Pate

Banned

????

The way I see it is that there always has been a trinity.

"Let US make man in our image, after our likeness" Genesis 1:26.

God appeared in a human form many times in the Old Testament.
I believe that God appeared to Adam in a physical human form.

"There are three that bear record in heaven, The Father, the word and the Holy Spirit" 1 John 5:7.

The "Word" is the second person of the Godhead that became flesh and dwelt among us (Jesus) John 1:14.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Genesis 1:1 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Creation
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Colossians 1:16 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him.

Robert Pate

Banned
Genesis 1:1 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Creation
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Colossians 1:16 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him.

Colossians 1:14-19, I believe to be Jesus. What do you say?

Zeke

The Bible is the story of humanity's journey from mortals to immortals. It's quite a story.

Immortal Seed /Spirit John 12:24 Genesis 3:20 Eve/Breath Galatians 4:26, that ground is Adam/red earth 1Cor 15:45.