The earth is flat and we never went to the moon--Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
While we wait for that and Dave, can one you science embracing members answer the question at the bottom of this powerful image? No change in Parallax with the North Star? Is that true?

fd47e37419d12e49b94995400cf6a64c.jpg

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So the sun is West, NW? Like slightly to the North and West? Are Denver and St. Louis about even in location on the map of the US or are you north of St. Louis?
Yes. West and slightly north.

See this pic...
View attachment 26413

Note that the sun is centered in the pic and the compass is showing that it's a tad north. Same thing in Clete's pic.

Because from where I am in the Lou, the sunset appears to be West of course, but also slightly South.
You should get the Spyglass app so you know what you are looking at. Denver is north of the St. Louis so I doubt the sun is direct west or slightly south at sunset. (if it's north-west of me it would have to be north-west of you.)

Right Divider

Body part
While we wait for that and Dave, can one you science embracing members answer the question at the bottom of this powerful image? No change in Parallax with the North Star? Is that true?

Polaris is a VERY distant star. The distance to Polaris is VASTLY greater than the diameter of the earth's orbit around the sun.

It's position RELATIVE to the EARTH does not change enough to be noticeable. It's pretty simple to understand unless your BIAS forces you to some other conclusion

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Well Patrick, like so many of these frankly asinine images/pseudo arguments, it is a flat out lie. It only convinces people who cannot do a google search for the terms "parallax Polaris". It IS intended to fool the foolish!

The parallax of Polaris has been measured many many times and while there is some important debate about the exact figure, it certainly is NOT zero!

The figure that is currently the most widely accepted figure puts Polaris at 433 light years away. Like I said, there is some dispute over that figure but the distance itself is not relevant. The point is that there definitely is measurable parallax.

Polaris happens to be what is called a Cepheid variable (do another google search). That's important because its the only one around that's close enough to get parallax measurements of. The distance to Polaris is used to calculate the distances of all sorts of things throughout the universe and since Polaris is the only Cepheid variable that we have anything that approaches precise distance measurements for, it's parallax is of outrageous importance in the fields of astronomy and astrophysics. In short, any scientist in any field associated with astronomy would instantly begin laughing out loud at the complete ignorance displayed by that ridiculous image. They couldn't hardly have picked a more obviously false claim to make if they had been trying to do so.

Not only that, but the whole premise of the claim is wrong to begin with. Polaris, being a relatively nearby star, is moving in the same general direction and at a similar speed as the Sun relative to the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. As such, the movements depicted in the last two image wouldn't even produce the sort of parallax that is used to calculate distance. Those last two images depict motions of the Sun through space as it orbits the galactic center, which would take centuries, if not millennia, to be of sufficient distances to measure parallax angles with. The Sun orbits the galactic center once every 230 million years (approximately). So that means it would take almost 640 years for it to travel 1/1000 of a degree in it's arc around the galactic center.

Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Compared to 8 light minutes for our sun. VASTLY different.... but I don't think that FE'ers have any understanding of SCALE whatsoever.

Speaking of light minutes. That happens to be one way they can measure the distance to the Moon.

There are lasers that they use to bounce off reflector that they left on the Moon but that's just the easy way to do it and is reserved for those of us who aren't insane and think that the Earth is flat and that we never went to the Moon.

The mistake the flat-earthers make is to assume that laser light is the only sort of light that exists with which such measurements can be made.

The distance to the Moon has been measured by bouncing radio waves (i.e. radar) off the Moon and not only that but the same fluctuations that occur in direct sunlight are observed in the reflected light from the Moon only delayed because of the extra distance, all of which confirms that the Moon is not a mere 3000 miles away but is in fact 239,228.3 miles away (on average). It also happens to prove that Moon light is reflected Sun light and not some independent light source as some flat earthers have suggested.

Clete

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
equatorial bulge NEW water balloon3

This video shows that absurdity of the spinning ball model and its "EQUATORIAL BULGE" with EXPERIMENTS, VIDEO MODELING AND SOUND ARGUMENTS
12 minutes - really good one -

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
This is why we are debating flat earth

1. Experiments could not detect motion to the earth. "Soon I came to the conclusion that our idea about the motion of the Earth with respect to the ether is incorrect, if we admit Michelson’s null result as a fact. This was the first path which led me to the special theory of relativity...I have come to believe that the motion of the Earth cannot be detected by any optical experiment--Albert Einstein “How I Created the Theory of Relativity,” Dec. 14, 1922

2. The sun, moon, and stars tell us nothing about the shape of the earth. The sun and the moon are not habitations for life. They are lights in the sky that appear much smaller than the earth. They have no atmosphere, water/oceans, or forests. We observe them, along with the clouds and the stars, moving across the sky.

3. The horizon line always appears straight/flat and is never curved. The horizon always rises up to our eye level regardless of how high we go. The higher we go the further into the distance we see the land and water/oceans rise up before us as a flat plane would do, we never see the earth drop away from us as we would if the earth were a globe.

4. Everything we know about a globed earth and heliocentric universe is as "imagined" as Einstein's relative space/time universe. There exists much evidence that NASA faked the moon landings and is now faking space missions to keep us from finding out the earth is flat just as our God given senses and the Bible tell us.

--Dave

This stupidity isn't meant to be serious is it? LOL! I guess NASA fabricated all the images of earth taken from interplanetary probes, and I guess everybody on the international space station is just hallucinating, or lying. Is that it? LOLLLLL

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This stupidity isn't meant to be serious is it? LOL! I guess NASA fabricated all the images of earth taken from interplanetary probes, and I guess everybody on the international space station is just hallucinating, or lying. Is that it? LOLLLLL
Keep in mind we are dealing with people who don't put a high value on being honest with themselves. The Flat Earth theory is like a drug it consumes them and makes them stupid (just like drugs do).

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Keep in mind we are dealing with people who don't put a high value on being honest with themselves. The Flat Earth theory is like a drug it consumes them and makes them stupid (just like drugs do).

Kind of like Liberals: Their positions have become so insane, and still they defend them because they are consumed with Liberalism.

I get it.

chair

equatorial bulge NEW water balloon3

This video shows that absurdity of the spinning ball model and its "EQUATORIAL BULGE" with EXPERIMENTS, VIDEO MODELING AND SOUND ARGUMENTS
12 minutes - really good one -

OK. I watched it.

He should take a class in physics. There is a pesky thing called an equilibrium, which he pretends to understand- but doesn't. Calling gravity "magic" doesn't make it go away. It's real, and it is why we don't "fall off". (Why we don't fall off a flat earth is a complete unknown. there isn't even "magic" to explain it.) The last minute has its own set of misunderstandings. Of course the outwards force is greatest at the equator, and less as you go towards the poles. That is why the bulge is at the equator.

Under this constant set of forces, water is not going to rush around or anything else dramatic happen. If the earth suddenly stopped rotating, or sped up suddenly- then all heck would break loose.

He did have one thing right (more or less): If the Earth was the size and mass of a golf ball, then the water on its surface would fly off.

You will find it difficult to get me to watch another video of this sort.

chair

Kind of like Liberals: Their positions have become so insane, and still they defend them because they are consumed with Liberalism.

I get it.

It is best to stick to the factual scientific question here. Though I do understand the drive to connect ridiculous ideas with groups you dislike, it is really inappropriate. This is not a place for political mudslinging.

musterion

What still confuses me is (as I heard it explained) the idea that a plane or ship pilot can THINK he's traveling in a long straight line -- say, across a continent -- when he's really going in a curve due to the configuration of the Flat Earth map. There is no way someone can think he's going straight while actually traveling in a curve. The instruments would indicate any course change involved in a curved course.

Of course, planes and ships travel in non-linear courses every day but that's not the point. Also, one could travel in a dead straight line on a flat earth...point A to point B...but many times that course would be very different than the same straight A to B course on the globe; it would fly over different points in between. The two courses couldn't and wouldn't match up.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned

There is also the possibility that flattards were just stupid to begin with. Perhaps they weren't made stupid by FE theory so much as they are just maintaining their status quo.

Status
Not open for further replies.