The earth is flat and we never went to the moon--Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
The rays of the sun are not like railroad tracks.

We know railroad tracks are parallel because see that at our feet right in front of us.

The rays of the sun are not parallel because they merge at a distant point whereas railroad tracks do not merge in the distance.

The appearance of merging is not the same thing as actual merging. The rays of the sun actually merge into the sun and therefore cannot be said to be parallel.

The merging rays of the sun are direct evidence of a close sun and support the flat earth model.

--Dave
Your last sentence is a false dichotomy. The Suns rays meet wether the sun is 3,000 or 93,000,000 Miles away. The main difference is that at 93,000,000 miles the angle between the rays is essentially 0

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
When folks start with a globe model and do all their science and math and apply the three dozen theories required to make it all work, then of course it's "unassailable" - And big words prove a globe even more.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Everything in that image HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE NONSENSE in both this thread and the original FE thread.

"Proof by assertion," also known as "proof by repeated assertion," is a logical fallacy, Dave. It's where something is repeatedly stated regardless of contradiction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_by_assertion

It's one of the most commonly used fallacies by flat earth conspiracists. Repeat the argument so often and then when the rebuttals stop because of the ridiculousness of the idea, claim victory for FE because it's not being contradicted.

Dave, Stop it. Now.

Stop hiding behind images, videos, and conspiracy theories, and start showing your work (yes, you need to get your hands dirty) which shows that the commonly accepted positions are incorrect.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The rays of the sun are not like railroad tracks.
Yes, they are.

We know railroad tracks are parallel because see that at our feet right in front of us.
There are several other reason we can know that railroad tracks are parallel, not the least of which is that they wouldn't work if they weren't and trains would be crashing all over the place.

We don't have to have first person, visual confirmation of every fact before we decide to accept it as such.

The rays of the sun are not parallel because they merge at a distant point whereas railroad tracks do not merge in the distance.
They are very nearly exactly parallel, David. So much so that there is no instrument made by man with sufficient precision to measure the difference in the angle from one end of the Earth to the other.

In other words, the edge of the Sun (it's easier to measure from the edge) is at precisely the same angle from the meridian or from the celestial pole from anywhere on Earth. The only way that can happen is if the lines are parallel (see any 7th grade geometry text book).

The appearance of merging is not the same thing as actual merging. The rays of the sun actually merge into the sun and therefore cannot be said to be parallel.
Since the Sun's rays do indeed all come from the Sun, and since the Sun is not a single point source of light, it is technically true that the rays are not perfectly parallel but the fact that they are so extremely close to being parallel here at the Earth is one of several ways that we know for a fact that the Sun is very very far away.

The merging rays of the sun are direct evidence of a close sun and support the flat earth model.

--Dave
No, David. The equinoxes, among other things, PROVE that you are wrong. It isn't just a good argument. IT IS PROOF. If the Sun were not very far away, what is observed by every living thing on Earth, twice a year could not happen. Ditto, if the Earth were flat.

I can't make you or anyone else consider how the path of the sun would work on the flat earth model covered by a dome, but you can't debunk what you have not even looked at.
Oh yes I can! I have done precisely that!

Not only that but I've watched you idiotic videos until I want to vomit and have responded over and over again to the asinine stupidity contained therein and you ignore everything I say.

What possible motive would I have for wasting one more second watch that ridiculous nonsense?

I'm no fool for investigating and trying to understand flat earth any more than the space time block universe or multiverse theory or any other cosmology.
Yes, you are!

YES! YOU ARE!

Not every theory that someone posts on the internet is worthy of your consideration, David. Even if one or two videos piqued your interest, what I and other's here is a million times more than anyone with a working mind would have needed to be persuaded.

I'm not kidding when I say you've beclowned yourself with this stupidity. You really ought to be ashamed of yourself. You've brought dishonor to yourself, you've destroyed your own reputation and, if you bring any of this crap up in the context of Christianity, you'll be an embarrassment to the entire religion. It's that bad, David.

You talk as if I have committed the sin of studying and defending flat earth.
Looking into it and debating it as an intellectual exercise for the purposes of education and fun is one thing. That's what you claimed and what I believe you to be doing at the beginning. That was a lie. You don't believe lying is a sin? I do!

And yes, I don't have answers as yet for some of the questions asked or points made in favor of globe earth. You have not answered every question and responded to every point I have made for flat earth either. But thats ok with me.
What sort of ridiculous muddled thinking is this?

I've already told you and I shouldn't even need to tell you that answering every question and rebutting every argument is NOT necessary. It isn't necessary in ANY debate on ANY topic.

Any argument that makes a position logically impossible answers all rebuttals by implication! Something that is false cannot be rightly argued in favor of.

And besides all that, you don't respond to ANY argument! Nothing moves you an inch! The closest you come to ever responding at all is to post yet another of a seemingly endless stream of youtube videos and/or to repeat the already rebutted arguments.

I think this is an important issue and one that needs to be addressed.
That line worked months ago when this topic first came up. My instinct then was to ignore it and to not give it the dignity if real debate. I should have heeded them. The fruit of this debate has been to do nothing in terms of convincing you of anything and the destruction of your reputation, which you seem to care nothing about.

I surely don't accept all that is been said to be facts about the heliocentric model of the universe.

--Dave
Yeah, right. Sure you don't.

On what possible basis could you reject a word of it? You've taken complete leave of all that resembles rational thought in that you refuse to permit reason to persuade you and have bought into impossible conspiracy theories. What could there possibly be that would be so outlandish as to warrant your rejection?

Clete

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
bec3725b2cf13d30602df2be9318dffe.jpg

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
When folks start with a globe model and do all their science and math and apply the three dozen theories required to make it all work, then of course it's "unassailable" - And big words prove a globe even more.

Good morning Patric. I am still waiting for you to tell me what you think density is and what a small amount of gravity is.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I told you how to use the Goog feature and actually it's irrelevant.

Well, no, it is not. Density is physical property of matter. It is defined as unit mass per unit volume (such as kg/m^3 - kilograms per cubic meter.) . So take a piece of steel that is 3 feet long. Cut it into a 1ft piece and and a 2ft piece. Since both pieces came from the same piece of steel they have identical densities -8,050 kg/m3 . The 2 foot piece weighs twice as much as the 1 foot piece which makes sense. The question to you is: Can you explain why two pieces of steel with identical densities have such very different weights?

Right Divider

Body part
Well, no, it is not. Density is physical property of matter. It is defined as unit mass per unit volume (such as kg/m^3 - kilograms per cubic meter.) . So take a piece of steel that is 3 feet long. Cut it into a 1ft piece and and a 2ft piece. Since both pieces came from the same piece of steel they have identical densities -8,050 kg/m3 . The 2 foot piece weighs twice as much as the 1 foot piece which makes sense. The question to you is: Can you explain why two pieces of steel with identical densities have such very different weights?
It's a NASA hoax... they're in cahoots with all the scale makers.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Just for fun, lets see if we can scale down the size of the Earth a bit and figure out how much of it we can see with our eyes.

The average distance to the horizon is 3.1miles
If you were to spin in a circle, the area that you could see would be about 30.2 square miles. (pi*r^2 where r=3.1)
The radius of of the Earth is 3,959 miles.
The surface area of a spherical Earth is 3.087*10^15 sq miles. (4*pi*r^4 where r=3959)
The ratio of what you can actually see verses all that can be seen is 9.7796*10^-15. (0.00000000000097796%)
Those are hard numbers to grasp so lets scale this down to the size of a basketball.

The radius of a basketball is about 5" so the area of the basketball is 7853.98 square inches. (4*pi*r^4 where r=5)
Using the ratio calculated above, the equivalent area that a very tiny person standing on the basket ball could see would be 7.6809*10^-11 square inches.
Doing the math, that means that the distance to the horizon is 4.94459*10^-6 inches. That number doesn't mean much so lets convert it to something else.
There are 25,400,000 nano-meters per inch. So the distance to the horizon is 125.59 nano-meters. Still a very small number so lets see if we can put that in terms of something we are familiar with - a human hair.

Human hair averages between 80,000 and 100,000 nano-meters in diameter. If we use the 100,000 nano-meter hair the radius is 50,000 nano-meters.

On our basket ball, the distance to the horizon is 125.59 nano-meters so if we divide that by the diameter of the hair and express that as a percentage we get 0.25118%. That means that the distance to the horizon for a person standing on our basketball sized world is 1/4 of 1 percent of the radius of a human hair. That gives a viewing area of 49,5553 square nano-meters. The cross-sectional area of the human hair is 7,853,981,633.97 square nano-meters for comparison. (The area that our person on the basket ball can see is only 0.0000016% of the area of a human hair!!)

How reliable can our observations of the world as whole be given that we can only see about 0.00000000000097796% of that world at any one time? This is why we need science to help us understand. The scale of the world is so great that it is beyond the ability of our eyes to accurately see it from a mere 5' or so above the ground.

[MENTION=4980]DFT_Dave[/MENTION] and @Patric Jane, I'm wondering what your thoughts are about this?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
It's a NASA hoax... they're in cahoots with all the scale makers.

How could this possibly be a NASA hoax? Density was defined long before NASA was formed. Archimedes, who lived 287 –  212 BC is the one who first identified the principle.

Does it ever bother you that you cannot answer a single question with a simple and direct answer?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Density is only one factor, weight is the determining factor in magical gravity. You do know that the equations Newton showed for gravity were only LIKE gravity, right? A top Vatican physicist and cosmologist just recently said the a 25 year old book on gravity is obsolete today. I don't trust nasa one iota. Be careful of how old your gravity data is. It's a 500 page theory still sir.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
How could this possibly be a NASA hoax? Density was defined long before NASA was formed. Archimedes, who lived 287 –  212 BC is the one who first identified the principle.

Does it ever bother you that you cannot answer a single question with a simple and direct answer?
Pretty sure that was sarcasm...

Right Divider

Body part

I'm sorry that you cannot see that this was a joke. I'll make sure to put lots of smilies next time. :banana::cigar::DK::french::chuckle::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.