The Earth Is A Sphere According To The Bible

Stuu

You mean you cannot disprove it.
I can't disprove what, exactly? I think the only claim we have seen of an eyewitness account so far is that of the Letters of Peter. Well, there are some fairly obvious problems with those. The original writing was in an urbane style of Greek, and references the Septuagint translation, which was specifically for Greek Jews who couldn't understand Aramaic or Hebrew. So that's the first problem, what on earth would Simon Peter be doing writing in that kind of Greek, citing a translation he would never have read? If he is a witness to Jesus, there are no convincing personal details of someone who had spent time with Jesus. The text strongly suggests two different authors, so even if we accept that one of the authors was Simon Peter, you wouldn't know which of the writing was that of an eyewitness and which wasn't, since one of the authors is obviously anonymous.

Or were you thinking of some other author?

Stuart

Stuu

Jesus is the Greatest Love, and there is no greater love than to lay down your life for your friend.
But Jesus wasn't saving humans by distracting the Romans while his friends got away, or anything useful like that. His execution was justified by the doctrine that that everyone is born bad, and a human sacrifice is the only way of making yourself good. That's not laying down your life for a friend, that's conspiring in vicarious punishment, which is immoral.

Stuart

God's Truth

And the only recorded 'words of Jesus' are in the bible. So you have the bible confirming that the bible is true. That doesn't work, does it.

Stuart

You would have to do what Jesus says to find out.

Are you ready?

Otherwise you are just giving your worthless opinions of Jesus.

God's Truth

But Jesus wasn't saving humans by distracting the Romans while his friends got away, or anything useful like that. His execution was justified by the doctrine that that everyone is born bad, and a human sacrifice is the only way of making yourself good. That's not laying down your life for a friend, that's conspiring in vicarious punishment, which is immoral.

Stuart

You are confusing the Calvin doctrines with the Bible.

Go get some more information from other sources.

In the meantime, address what I said about their being no greater love than one who lays down his life for his friend.

God's Truth

I can't disprove what, exactly? I think the only claim we have seen of an eyewitness account so far is that of the Letters of Peter. Well, there are some fairly obvious problems with those. The original writing was in an urbane style of Greek, and references the Septuagint translation, which was specifically for Greek Jews who couldn't understand Aramaic or Hebrew. So that's the first problem, what on earth would Simon Peter be doing writing in that kind of Greek, citing a translation he would never have read? If he is a witness to Jesus, there are no convincing personal details of someone who had spent time with Jesus. The text strongly suggests two different authors, so even if we accept that one of the authors was Simon Peter, you wouldn't know which of the writing was that of an eyewitness and which wasn't, since one of the authors is obviously anonymous.

Or were you thinking of some other author?

Stuart

I am not even going to try to make sense of that garble.

Stuu

You would have to do what Jesus says to find out.

Are you ready?

Otherwise you are just giving your worthless opinions of Jesus.
Just because you fail to value my opinions doesn't make them worthless. Anyway, this was about the logic of your statement, it had little to do with Jesus. Of course the bible will tell you it is right. All self-help books spend many pages telling you how brilliant the book is.

Stuart

Stuu

You are confusing the Calvin doctrines with the Bible.

Go get some more information from other sources.
There are no other sources. The only place Jesus is mentioned in a synoptic sense is the New Testament.

In the meantime, address what I said about their being no greater love than one who lays down his life for his friend.
Sure, if that is your opinion. Is is supposed to have something to do with christianity?

Stuart

marhig

[FONT=&quot]Round Earth[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Isaiah 40:22
It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in?

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]חוּג[/FONT][FONT=&quot] circle[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
The word translated as circle in the Hebrew, is also translated as sphere, which is what the earth is.

This verse also explains the earth is suspended in the heavens, not contained on something else.

Job 26:7 "He stretches out the north over empty space and hangs the earth on nothing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]circle[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

circle
מַעְגָל, חוּג, עִגוּל, סִבּוּב, דוּר, מֵסַב
class
מַחלָקָה, מַעֲמָד, סוּג, כִּתָה, מִין, חוּג
ring
טַבַּעַת, צִלצוּל, זִירָה, מַעְגָל, חוּג, חוֹחַ
orb
גַלגַל הָעַיִן, גַלגַל, עִגוּל, חוּג, תְחוּם, גֶרֶם הַשָׁמַיִם
sphere
כַּדוּר, תְחוּם, סְפֵירָה, חוּג, גַלגַל, הֶקֵף
tropic
חוּג, מַהְפָּך
horizon
אֹפֶק, חוּג, חוּג הָאָרֶץ
boundary
גְבוּל, קַו גְבוּל, תְחוּם, חוּג, שׁוּלַיִם, מֶצֶר
party
צַד, מִפלָגָה, סִיעָה, חֲבוּרָה, חוּג, נֶשֶׁף
I spoke about this on another site when discussing the Bible, and i was talking to some atheists about God and how that even many years ago God's people knew that the earth was round. And even though we thought that the earth was flat until a few hundred years ago, those with the wisdom of God in the Bible knew that it wasn't, I then quoted that verse.

CherubRam

I spoke about this on another site when discussing the Bible, and i was talking to some atheists about God and how that even many years ago God's people knew that the earth was round. And even though we thought that the earth was flat until a few hundred years ago, those with the wisdom of God in the Bible knew that it wasn't, I then quoted that verse.

Thanks, that was the point I was trying to make.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Isaiah 40:22
It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in?

חוּג circle
The word translated as circle in the Hebrew, is also translated as sphere, which is what the earth is.

The word can also mean "arch" which is what a dome is.
Not to mention that a tent is not a globe but an arch over something.

A globe would be a ball.
There is a Hebrew word for ball.

Isaiah 22:18 KJV
(18) He will surely violently turn and toss thee like a ball [tsenêphâh] into a large country: there shalt thou die, and there the chariots of thy glory shall be the shame of thy lord's house.

God's Truth

Just because you fail to value my opinions doesn't make them worthless. Anyway, this was about the logic of your statement, it had little to do with Jesus. Of course the bible will tell you it is right. All self-help books spend many pages telling you how brilliant the book is.

Stuart

You are not even saying what I said.

I said you are merely giving opinions about Jesus and the Bible and you are not speaking from experience or knowledge.

Jesus tells us how to get it.

You would just have to do what Jesus says if you want to talk about him in a way that is knowledgeable.

CherubRam

The word can also mean "arch" which is what a dome is.
Not to mention that a tent is not a globe but an arch over something.

A globe would be a ball.
There is a Hebrew word for ball.

Isaiah 22:18 KJV
(18) He will surely violently turn and toss thee like a ball [tsenêphâh] into a large country: there shalt thou die, and there the chariots of thy glory shall be the shame of thy lord's house.

כַּדוּר
ball, bullet, sphere, pill, scoop, globe

תְחוּם
domain, confines, territory, realm, scope, sphere

סְפֵירָה
sphere

חוּג
circle, class, ring, orb, sphere, tropic

גַלגַל
pulley, wheel, cycle, hoop, orb, sphere

הֶקֵף
girth, circumference, scope, range, circuit, sphere

Stuu

You are not even saying what I said.

I said you are merely giving opinions about Jesus and the Bible and you are not speaking from experience or knowledge.

Jesus tells us how to get it.

You would just have to do what Jesus says if you want to talk about him in a way that is knowledgeable.
Well, as long as you are safely wrapped in the big cotton wool ball of your beliefs, protected from having to think about anything at all, or experiencing anything different to your usual routine, then I suppose that is something. Just sit there, do nothing at all, and await further instructions from Jesus. Nice, safe lie, er I mean life.

Stuart