The Earth Is A Sphere According To The Bible

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]Round Earth[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Isaiah 40:22
It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in?

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]חוּג[/FONT][FONT=&quot] circle[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
The word translated as circle in the Hebrew, is also translated as sphere, which is what the earth is.

This verse also explains the earth is suspended in the heavens, not contained on something else.

Job 26:7 "He stretches out the north over empty space and hangs the earth on nothing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]circle[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

circle
מַעְגָל, חוּג, עִגוּל, סִבּוּב, דוּר, מֵסַב
class
מַחלָקָה, מַעֲמָד, סוּג, כִּתָה, מִין, חוּג
ring
טַבַּעַת, צִלצוּל, זִירָה, מַעְגָל, חוּג, חוֹחַ
orb
גַלגַל הָעַיִן, גַלגַל, עִגוּל, חוּג, תְחוּם, גֶרֶם הַשָׁמַיִם
sphere
כַּדוּר, תְחוּם, סְפֵירָה, חוּג, גַלגַל, הֶקֵף
tropic
חוּג, מַהְפָּך
horizon
אֹפֶק, חוּג, חוּג הָאָרֶץ
boundary
גְבוּל, קַו גְבוּל, תְחוּם, חוּג, שׁוּלַיִם, מֶצֶר
party
צַד, מִפלָגָה, סִיעָה, חֲבוּרָה, חוּג, נֶשֶׁף

Last edited:

oatmeal

[FONT=&quot]Round Earth[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Isaiah 40:22
It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in?

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]חוּג[/FONT][FONT=&quot] circle[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
The word translated as circle in the Hebrew, is also translated as sphere, which is what the earth is.

This verse also explains the earth is suspended in the heavens, not contained on something else.

Job 26:7 "He stretches out the north over empty space and hangs the earth on nothing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]circle[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]מַעְגָל, חוּג, עִגוּל, סִבּוּב, דוּר, מֵסַב[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
class
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]מַחלָקָה, מַעֲמָד, סוּג, כִּתָה, מִין, חוּג[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
ring
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]טַבַּעַת, צִלצוּל, זִירָה, מַעְגָל, חוּג, חוֹחַ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
orb
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]גַלגַל הָעַיִן, גַלגַל, עִגוּל, חוּג, תְחוּם, גֶרֶם הַשָׁמַיִם[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
sphere
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]כַּדוּר, תְחוּם, סְפֵירָה, חוּג, גַלגַל, הֶקֵף[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
tropic
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]חוּג, מַהְפָּך[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
horizon
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]אֹפֶק, חוּג, חוּג הָאָרֶץ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
boundary
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]גְבוּל, קַו גְבוּל, תְחוּם, חוּג, שׁוּלַיִם, מֶצֶר[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
party[/FONT]

Good work

Stuu

Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them

The Chi Tu Kingdom of the Malay Peninsula, the Kingdom of Mauretania in Northwest Africa, the Mayan Kingdom City States in Central America, and the Kingdom of Tonga all existed in the first Century CE, and cannot all be seen at the same time from the top of any mountain on earth, unless the earth is flat.

Stuart

CherubRam

Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them

The Chi Tu Kingdom of the Malay Peninsula, the Kingdom of Mauretania in Northwest Africa, the Mayan Kingdom City States in Central America, and the Kingdom of Tonga all existed in the first Century CE, and cannot all be seen at the same time from the top of any mountain on earth, unless the earth is flat.

Stuart

When reading a PARABLE it is wise not to be to literal.

Stuu

When reading a PARABLE it is wise not to be to literal.
How is Matthew 4:8 a parable? Isn't it just a verse of narrative?

Do you think some of the other narratives in the gospels shouldn't be taken so literally either?

That whole walking again after you've been killed by the Romans thing: obviously that shouldn't be taken literally.

Stuart

CherubRam

How is Matthew 4:8 a parable? Isn't it just a verse of narrative?

Do you think some of the other narratives in the gospels shouldn't be taken so literally either?

That whole walking again after you've been killed by the Romans thing: obviously that shouldn't be taken literally.

Stuart

The term "Devil" and "Satan" are used in parables. Those terms are used for different people or circumstance.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Stuart
Plus, the binoculars.

CherubRam

The advantage of the Biblical 364 day calendar

The advantage of a 364 calendar is that it is neatly divisible by seven, which means we could have a consistent seven day week, and at the same time do away with dates shifting.

It was the Hellenistic Jews who introduced the Lunar Calendar in 167 BC. Before then only the 364 Biblical Calendar was in use. In Christ day both calendars were in use. Which one do you think Christ and the disciples used?

Stuu

It was the Hellenistic Jews who introduced the Lunar Calendar in 167 BC. Before then only the 364 Biblical Calendar was in use. In Christ day both calendars were in use. Which one do you think Christ and the disciples used?
Well, since there are no eyewitness accounts of Jesus in existence, it is not possible to know. But I feel sure you are going to tell us regardless.

Stuart

CherubRam

Well, since there are no eyewitness accounts of Jesus in existence, it is not possible to know. But I feel sure you are going to tell us regardless.

Stuart

There are eye witness accounts of Christ and the disciples apart from the bible.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Where are the pillars located?

1 Samuel 2:8 KJV
(8) He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, and he hath set the world upon them.

Job 9:6 KJV
(6) Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble.

Psalms 75:3 KJV
(3) The earth and all the inhabitants thereof are dissolved: I bear up the pillars of it. Selah.

Stuu

There are eye witness accounts of Christ and the disciples apart from the bible.
Actually, do you know, there are none. Not in the bible or anywhere else.

The gospel accounts are anonymous, and the writing doesn't claim the authors were eyewitnesses, and the ones apart from the bible you mention, they are all reporting what the christians of the time claimed, not what the writer saw of Jesus for himself.

Even establishing that Jesus existed historically is difficult. Generally scholars agree that there was such a man (indeed there must have been quite a few ancient Palestinian preachers called Jesus), and that he was baptised by John the Baptist, and that he was executed by the Romans.

And that is all you can know historically. The rest you have to take from unnamed people with very strong motives to write a narrative that suits ancient prophecies, other religious dogmas, and the political realities of living as Jews and christians in Roman-occupied Palestine. The stories of the birth of Jesus are of a real person whose back-story had to be invented to suit prophecy. It is historical fiction.

Stuart

CherubRam

Actually, do you know, there are none. Not in the bible or anywhere else.

The gospel accounts are anonymous, and the writing doesn't claim the authors were eyewitnesses, and the ones apart from the bible you mention, they are all reporting what the christians of the time claimed, not what the writer saw of Jesus for himself.

Even establishing that Jesus existed historically is difficult. Generally scholars agree that there was such a man (indeed there must have been quite a few ancient Palestinian preachers called Jesus), and that he was baptised by John the Baptist, and that he was executed by the Romans.

And that is all you can know historically. The rest you have to take from unnamed people with very strong motives to write a narrative that suits ancient prophecies, other religious dogmas, and the political realities of living as Jews and christians in Roman-occupied Palestine. The stories of the birth of Jesus are of a real person whose back-story had to be invented to suit prophecy. It is historical fiction.

Stuart

Since you believe that the history is all fiction, there is no point in discussing further.

CherubRam

(8) He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, and he hath set the world upon them.

(3) The earth and all the inhabitants thereof are dissolved: I bear up the pillars of it. Selah.

Proverbs 9:1
[ Invitations of Wisdom and Folly ] Wisdom has built her house; she has set up its seven pillars.

Galatians 2:9
James, Cephas and John, those esteemed as pillars,

Revelation 3:12
The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God.

Stuu

Since you believe that the history is all fiction, there is no point in discussing further.
I called it historical fiction, not just fiction. Jesus existed but his life story was invented to suit. It happened all the time in ancient cultures, and it happens all the time today. If Jesus was to write his own Wikipedia entry today, there would be zealots on there tonight editing the bits they thought didn't fit Jewish prophecy.

Stuart

CherubRam

I called it historical fiction, not just fiction. Jesus existed but his life story was invented to suit. It happened all the time in ancient cultures, and it happens all the time today. If Jesus was to write his own Wikipedia entry today, there would be zealots on there tonight editing the bits they thought didn't fit Jewish prophecy.

Stuart

I understand what you are saying. I would never throw the baby out with the wash though. Just because you can find some mud, it does not mean that it is all crap.

Stuu

I understand what you are saying. I would never throw the baby out with the wash though. Just because you can find some mud, it does not mean that it is all crap.
So, why not keep love thy neighbour but get rid of the human sacrifice?

Stuart

WatchmanOnTheWall

They're supposed to be underneath ;)

Isaiah 66:1
This is what the LORD says: "Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool.

YTC5-1.jpg

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
So, why not keep love thy neighbour but get rid of the human sacrifice?

Stuart
God forbids human sacrifice, which is done to the devil and false gods.

Deuteronomy 12:31 - Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.

Psalms 106:37 - Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto devils,

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They're supposed to be underneath ;)

Isaiah 66:1
This is what the LORD says: "Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool.

YTC5-1.jpg
Is that Skiba's work?
He has written several books on his theories.
I think he is the one that says science has been the biggest factor in people rejecting the Bible as true.

While I thought some of his theories were stretched a bit too far, there was one thing he wrote that always stuck with me -------- that the Bible tells us of the moon and sun moving and that they (like the stars and planets) have a course they follow; but never tells us the earth moves or has a course to follow, but that the earth is stationary, fixed and immovable.