the church

God's Truth

How do you figure that you are the sheep?

I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Catholics could be sheep if they obey Jesus and come out of her.

Sheep are those who obey. Catholics have been taught wrongly, and are taught how not to obey.

Anyone can become as a sheep.

You need to read how the Israelites are called heifers and God said they were NOT sheep. You should read how after they repent they will be forgiven and be like sheep.

In Hosea, the Israelites are like heifers. They are told to repent, and then they would be as lambs.

Hosea 4:16 The Israelites are stubborn, like a stubborn heifer. How then can the LORD pasture them like lambs in a meadow?

Hosea 14:2 Take words with you and return to the LORD. Say to him: "Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously, that we may offer the fruit of our lips.

Did you read that scripture? They come to God and ask for forgiveness, and they are forgiven. Now they are like lambs in a meadow.

We are even told unless we become like little children, we cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.

Hosea 4:16 The Israelites are stubborn, like a stubborn heifer. How then can the LORD pasture them like lambs in a meadow?

Maybe some disciplining can take care of that.

Anyone can become as a lamb.

All it takes is humbleness, and obedience.

Jeremiah 31:18
"I have surely heard Ephraim's moaning: 'You disciplined me like an unruly calf, and I have been disciplined. Restore me, and I will return, because you are the LORD my God.

Right Divider

Body part
Catholics could be sheep if they obey Jesus and come out of her.

Sheep are those who obey. Catholics have been taught wrongly, and are taught how not to obey.

Anyone can become as a sheep.
Why don't you actually READ the scripture?

Jesus was CLEAR about which sheep He was talking about.
Matt 15:24 (AKJV/PCE)
(15:24) But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

God's Truth

(15:24) But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

How do you ever get that I did not read the scriptures?
Jesus says those who falsely judge are guilty of what they falsely judge.

I see now that you do not read the scriptures.

Read the scriptures I gave.

The lost sheep are the JEWS WHO ALREADY belonged to God BY FAITH before Jesus came to earth.

The old law DID NOT REQUIRE FAITH!

God cut off and hardened the Jews who did not have faith so that when Jesus came he would center only on those who ALREADY BELONGED TO GOD---they are called the lost sheep of Israel because they did not have a faithful shepherd to lead them---they had NON OBEYING PHARISEES and TEACHERS OF THE LAW.

Jesus came first for those who already belonged to God by faith. When Jesus was crucified---THEN ALL CAN COME TO HIM BY FAITH AND OBEDIENCE.

When Jesus comes again---it will be too late to have faith and obey.

Cruciform

If a Roman Catholic or Orthodox Church member wants to appeal to this verse to refute Sola Scriptura, then he is shooting himself in the foot because Paul himself says that his writing, which is Scripture, is what the church is to submit to.
Yet, Paul ALSO commands that we submit to apostolic Tradition as well. So much, then, for sola scriptura.

Furthermore, he is behaving as a Protestant who holds to the doctrine of Sola Scriptura by appealing to the authority of Scripture.
Catholics appeal to the authority of Scripture, too. We do not, however, appeal ONLY to Scripture's authority, and neither did the apostles. Thus, sola scriptura is itself simply unbiblical.

achduke

Who do you believe the lost sheep of the house of Israel are?

Cruciform

Once again, WHO were the apostles and WHO did they minister to? Rome does not fit into what they did, and actually they spoke out about the type of people that Rome exemplified many times. Jesus and the Apostles could care less about haughty Rome and all the blood it had on its hands, and continued to have for centuries. Think about it this way. When God allowed Israel to build the Temple.. he did not allow David to do so because he was a man of war and imbued his hands in the blood of his enemy. God rose up his son, Solomon, who was a man of peace and wisdom, to build the temple. Rome and the Vatican at no time during it's existence has ever been a city of peace... it has ALWAYS been a city of war and imbued itself in the blood of its enemies. Jesus is the prince of peace, not a general of war. A city based on war could never be his capital city.
Your subjectively creative---and wholly imaginary---unsubstantiated interpretations are noted. :yawn:

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Yet, Paul ALSO commands that we submit to apostolic Tradition as well. So much, then, for sola scriptura.

Catholics appeal to the authority of Scripture, too. We do not, however, appeal ONLY to Scripture's authority, and neither did the apostles. Thus, sola scriptura is itself simply unbiblical.
No thanks, we're good. You may keep your own links. The Protestants would interpret Tradition in light of Scripture, it seems that the Catholic Church does the opposite. Consider the following, "The Second Vatican Council indicates three criteria for interpreting Scripture in accordance with the Spirit who inspired it. 1. Be especially attentive to the content and unity of the whole Scripture.'. . . 2. Read the Scripture within the living Tradition of the whole Church.' . . . 3. Be attentive to the analogy of faith." (Par. 111, 112, 13, 114).

It is number 2 that is the main concern here. What does it mean to read Scripture "within the living Tradition of the whole Church?" If Scripture is "within the living Tradition," then Tradition encompasses Scripture. In other words, it is the tradition of the Church that interprets Scripture. This is in contradiction to the Word of God spoken by Jesus in Matt. 15:1-6.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
...The issue in Matt. 15:1-6 is not succession of authority but the traditions of men being used in opposition to the truth of the Word of God. Essentially, the Pharisees were seeing the Word of God "within" their sacred tradition. Jesus, in contrast to this, cited the Word of God to judge their traditions. The apostles, likewise, continuously admonished their people to check their teaching against the Scripture (Acts 17:11), thereby substantiating the position that even what they taught was subject to God's Word. After all, no doctrinal teaching should contradict biblical revelation, and the Sacred Word of God was and is the final authority in all things spiritual. The Catholic Church's position and teaching is based on Sacred Tradition are no different. They must be compared to Scripture. -matt slick

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
there are many false teachings
-Jesus is not God
-we have no free will
-we do not have to work
-the church will continue to expose them

Cruciform

No thanks, we're good.
Feel free, then, to actually disprove the content of Post #2049 above. No? Didn't think so. Therefore, my statements stand exactly as posted.

The Protestants would interpret Tradition in light of Scripture, it seems that the Catholic Church does the opposite.
Straw Man Fallacy. Yet again, you only put your ignorance on public display.

In other words, it is the tradition of the Church that interprets Scripture.
That's correct, and applies to both the Catholic as well as the Protestant.

This is in contradiction to the Word of God spoken by Jesus in Matt. 15:1-6.
No it isn't, since you've confused one form of tradition ("traditions of men") with Apostolic Tradition, which was commanded by the apostles themselves. Please properly educate yourself.

Cruciform

...The issue in Matt. 15:1-6 is not succession of authority but the traditions of men being used in opposition to the truth of the Word of God. Essentially, the Pharisees were seeing the Word of God "within" their sacred tradition. Jesus, in contrast to this, cited the Word of God to judge their traditions. The apostles, likewise, continuously admonished their people to check their teaching against the Scripture (Acts 17:11), thereby substantiating the position that even what they taught was subject to God's Word. After all, no doctrinal teaching should contradict biblical revelation, and the Sacred Word of God was and is the final authority in all things spiritual. The Catholic Church's position and teaching is based on Sacred Tradition are no different. They must be compared to Scripture. -matt slick
"...to Scripture" according to whose---what human being's---infallible and authoritative interpretation? Yours? Matt Slick's? Your pastor's? Your favorite TV preacher's?

Every appeal to Scripture is in fact an appeal to some human being's interpretation of Scripture. Whose, then, will it be? Who interprets the Bible infallibly, bindingly, and authoritatively? :think:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Ephesians 2:20

What is the Church built upon?
Is it upon the Scripture?
No.
It is built upon the Apostles (cf. Mt16:18).
Men, not books.