The Church in the Book of Revelation

Arial

What is the gospel, Ariel?

Lay it out for all to see.
I suspect that you just cruise around looking for ways to be disagreeable and have no idea how the post you responded to came about. Short version: someone told me my beliefs would damn me so I ask him to tell me what and why? That if he saw someone on their way to hell, shouldn't he do as Jesus commanded and preach the gospel to me. To which he tried to skate out of that by saying Jesus only said that to his disciples. So I gave him scriptures of Jesus saying to spread the gospel, to which the other person quoted something else with no explanation---and now here you are! You seem to attach yourself to whatever pack of two who bicker about nothing just to avoid the actual subject, to become a pack of three. But here you go. The gospel.

According to Peter:
Then Peter opened his mouth and said: "In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him. The word which God sent to the children of Israel, preaching peace through Jesus Christ---He is Lord of all--- that word you know, which was proclaimed throughout Judea, and began from Galilee after the baptism John preached: how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him. And we are witnesses of all things which He did both in the land of the Jews and in Jerusalem, whom they killed by hanging on a tree. Him God raised ip on the third day and showed Him openly, not to all the people, but to witnesses chosen before by God, even to us who ate and drank with Him after He rose from the dead. And He commanded us to preach to the people, and to testify that it is He who was ordained by God to be Judge of the living and the dead/ To Him all the prophets witness, that through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins."

While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. nd those of the circumcision who believed were astonished as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. (Acts 10:34-45)

The gospel according to Paul:
Acts 13:29-32

And when they had carried out all that was written of Him, they took Him down from the tree and laid Him in a tomb. But God raised Him from the dead and for man das He appeared to those who had come up with Him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are now His witnesses to the people. And we bring the good news that what God promised to the fathers, this he has fulfilled to us their children by raising Jesus, as also it is written in the second Psalm,'You are my Son, today I have begotten you.'

38-39 Let it be known to you therefore, brothers, that through this man forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and by Him everyone who believes is freed from everything from which you could not be feed by the law of Moses.

Arial

What in the world are you talking about here?
If you did not simply skim posts looking for something to argue about, you would know. Or is it just that you don't know what the foundation is, or even that there is one that was established by Jesus through His apostle? I can actually believe that, but is incredibly sad and one reason prayer for the church is desperately needed. But if one does not know what to pray about well----

Arial

That's what I keep telling you. What is your point. Get to it instead of beating around the bush all the time.
I have never not gotten to the point. It is not my problem if your comprehension level is limited. Shall I reduce it to the format of "This is Jane. See Jane walk."?

glorydaz

I suspect that you just cruise around looking for ways to be disagreeable and have no idea how the post you responded to came about.
Yep, that my goal. Cruising around and being disagreeable. However, I know exactly how that post came about.

Short version: someone told me my beliefs would damn me so I ask him to tell me what and why? That if he saw someone on their way to hell, shouldn't he do as Jesus commanded and preach the gospel to me. To which he tried to skate out of that by saying Jesus only said that to his disciples. So I gave him scriptures of Jesus saying to spread the gospel, to which the other person quoted something else with no explanation---and now here you are!
And your versions here is close. You were being told that if you didn't figure out how to get saved, you'd be going to hell. When you say he tried to "skate out of that by saying Jesus only said that to his disciples", in truth, he was teaching you something you clearly are not aware of. And, the scripture he gave was an explanation, but you didn't get it.
You seem to attach yourself to whatever pack of two who bicker about nothing just to avoid the actual subject, to become a pack of three.
We aren't bickering about "nothing". We are attempting to show you what the Bible is actually saying. Which is why we use scripture to back up what we say.

But here you go. The gospel.

According to Peter:
Then Peter opened his mouth and said: "In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him. The word which God sent to the children of Israel, preaching peace through Jesus Christ---He is Lord of all--- that word you know, which was proclaimed throughout Judea, and began from Galilee after the baptism John preached: how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him. And we are witnesses of all things which He did both in the land of the Jews and in Jerusalem, whom they killed by hanging on a tree. Him God raised ip on the third day and showed Him openly, not to all the people, but to witnesses chosen before by God, even to us who ate and drank with Him after He rose from the dead. And He commanded us to preach to the people, and to testify that it is He who was ordained by God to be Judge of the living and the dead/ To Him all the prophets witness, that through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins."

While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. nd those of the circumcision who believed were astonished as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. (Acts 10:34-45)

The gospel according to Paul:
Acts 13:29-32

And when they had carried out all that was written of Him, they took Him down from the tree and laid Him in a tomb. But God raised Him from the dead and for man das He appeared to those who had come up with Him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are now His witnesses to the people. And we bring the good news that what God promised to the fathers, this he has fulfilled to us their children by raising Jesus, as also it is written in the second Psalm,'You are my Son, today I have begotten you.'

38-39 Let it be known to you therefore, brothers, that through this man forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and by Him everyone who believes is freed from everything from which you could not be feed by the law of Moses.

Okay, you need to learn how to preach the Gospel.

Neither of those will get anyone saved.

glorydaz

I have never not gotten to the point. It is not my problem if your comprehension level is limited. Shall I reduce it to the format of "This is Jane. See Jane walk."?
Right, it couldn't be you and your lack of knowledge and what you're attempting to teach.

It's got to be my comprehension level.

What do you have to do to get saved? What is the gospel of salvation today?

glorydaz

If you did not simply skim posts looking for something to argue about, you would know. Or is it just that you don't know what the foundation is, or even that there is one that was established by Jesus through His apostle? I can actually believe that, but is incredibly sad and one reason prayer for the church is desperately needed. But if one does not know what to pray about well----
Show me the verse and I'll explain it to you.

Arial

We're not talking about "the works". We're talking about those works before the law was given.
You talk about one thing, and when that gets dealt with in a way that makes sense but you don't like, then you say you are talking about something else. There is another person famous for that on TF. Lori Bollinger. Razzleflabbin on White Horse. In any case, whatever works you are talking about, what I said still stands. Works never gave anyone eternal life and never will.
Seriously? Not even when the time time of refreshing would come? There was no covenant of redemption for the Jews?
Believing Jews are in the same covenant as all the rest of believers. The fulfillment in Christ of the covenant of redemption. Do you hate the Jews or something? Think they are worse than you so they have to have a different covenant---one of works plus faith?
LOL You just called salvation by grace the new covenant.
It is BY the grace of God. He didn't have to do it, and we don't deserve it. We enter into that covenant through union with Christ, which is by faith, not works. We all enter the same way, through Jesus and His shed blood, "the blood of the covenant" and the sacrifice of His body "this is my body which I lay down for you". I would quote Hebrews for you but according to you everything in that book applies only to Jews. A conclusion you reach on the sole basis of dispensationalist bias and the fact that it was written to Hebrews. Really faulty thinking. It is as though you lay aside the rest of the Bible for the space of time that you ponder Hebrews. Reach the necessary conclusion and then go back to the rest of the Bible and try to mangle it all together.

glorydaz

No one did or could do the works perfectly. Faith, the faith that saves is a condition of the heart towards Him that only He can see. The Covenant with Israel of works, was not a covenant of eternal life. It was a covenant of God being their God. Even if anyone had kept all the law perfectly (which they didn't and couldn't) and they did so only by rote with no worship of or love towards God, it would not have granted them eternal life. The crucial ingredient was missing, therein contaminating even the obedience with sin. There were times God rejected and scorned their sacrifices for that reason---their heart was far from Him.

So take a look at this lovely paragraph that Ariel is blaming me for not 'getting'.
What a bunch of blah blah blah. Every other sentence is something she thinks she needs to teach, and she never does get to the point.

I'll just lay out my thoughts, and, hopefully, they'll fit in somewhere.

Before Abraham, men obeyed or disobeyed what their conscience told them.....so they had no excuse.
Therefore they will be judged just like the sheep and goats judgement, by their deeds (works).

Romans 2:6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds: 7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

Those under the law of Moses with works, they certainly can have eternal life, but they have to wait until the Lord's return to receive their forgiveness.

Those who have believed Paul's gospel already have eternal life.....and it was a gift of God to top it off....no works allowed for salvation.
After the rapture, there will be works required once again.

glorydaz

THE VERSE FOR WHAT? The foundation of the church?!!!!

Don't yell at me. You're the one who said this.

"To circle back to the purpose of the OP: do you see any ways in which the church according to the apostles foundation has shifted in our churches?"

The OP is about the churches in the book of Revelation. You didn't say the foundation of the apostles and prophets, nor did you give me any idea where you were going in regards to a shifting in "our churches". You're out here in a whole community of people and you are acting like you're on some dreadful zoom call. Tighten it up a bit if you want to make any headway. Put up verses when you make off the wall statements.

glorydaz

If I could figure out why he posted it I most likely would be able to refute it. But I am beginning to understand what the problem is with the majority of the responders to the OP.
The problem is that the majority of responders can see clearly that you don't know how to preach the gospel.

And that is what we are called to do. You've made it so complicated, you'd never be invited out to do any street preaching. They'd have to just leave you home. Perhaps you should inquire what it takes to get saved.

Arial

Show me the verse and I'll explain it to you.

THE VERSE FOR WHAT? The foundation of the church?!!!!
@glorydaz
Here are some scriptures and I will try and explain to you what the foundation of the church is.
Eph 2:19-22 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

Psalm 118:22-23

We find Jesus, who He is and what He accomplished in the synoptic gospels. This is the cornerstone upon which the foundation is built.
The foundation is laid by the apostles so we find it in their writings.
Believers are the living stones of the building that grows in volume and spreads to all the earth.

The foundation is the doctrinal truths that we find in the writings of the apostles. The church is built upon this doctrinal foundation. It is a closed system, in that it is complete. Nothing is to be added to it or taken away from it.

So now, again, do you see ways in which our local churches and teachings that are accepted are sliding off that foundation?

glorydaz

Believing Jews are in the same covenant as all the rest of believers. The fulfillment in Christ of the covenant of redemption.
1. What do those "believing Jews" you speak of believe in exactly? Be specific.

2. By the "rest of believers" are you referring to the church of God (which has neither Jew nor Gentile)?
The church has no covenant of redemption, but Israel does. Maybe that's what you're confused about.
Do you hate the Jews or something? Think they are worse than you so they have to have a different covenant---one of works plus faith?

Why would I hate God's chosen people? That's down right silly.

The body of Christ has no covenant, we have Christ Himself dwelling in us.
It is BY the grace of God. He didn't have to do it, and we don't deserve it. We enter into that covenant through union with Christ, which is by faith, not works. We all enter the same way, through Jesus and His shed blood, "the blood of the covenant" and the sacrifice of His body "this is my body which I lay down for you". I would quote Hebrews for you but according to you everything in that book applies only to Jews. A conclusion you reach on the sole basis of dispensationalist bias and the fact that it was written to Hebrews. Really faulty thinking. It is as though you lay aside the rest of the Bible for the space of time that you ponder Hebrews. Reach the necessary conclusion and then go back to the rest of the Bible and try to mangle it all together.
I understand how tempting it is to belittle something you don't understand.
Unfortunately for you, or good if you listen, we are required to expose false teachers, and that's what's happening here.

glorydaz

@glorydaz
Here are some scriptures and I will try and explain to you what the foundation of the church is.
Eph 2:19-22 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

Put off your pride. It's so unbecoming. I told you to post a verse so I'd know in what weird direction you were going. Don't be explaining any verses to me since you have no spiritual understanding.
Psalm 118:22-23

We find Jesus, who He is and what He accomplished in the synoptic gospels. This is the cornerstone upon which the foundation is built.
The foundation is laid by the apostles so we find it in their writings.
Believers are the living stones of the building that grows in volume and spreads to all the earth.

The foundation is the doctrinal truths that we find in the writings of the apostles. The church is built upon this doctrinal foundation. It is a closed system, in that it is complete. Nothing is to be added to it or taken away from it.

Proving once again that you are stuck in prophecy and know nothing of the mystery.
So now, again, do you see ways in which our local churches and teachings that are accepted are sliding off that foundation?
Hopefully the churches are busy preaching Paul's Gospel because the time of the end draws near.