The “no difference” theory is dead: Same sex parenting

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Of course not.
I didn't actually think so, but you put a great big stamp of approval over the whole of what he proposed and without serious qualification that's exactly what one of his ideas could lead to.

Not all marriages end for serious reasons:
You mean to the outside parties. I suppose so.

My 2 sisters dumped perfectly decent, kind, educated men so they could take up with hooligans half their age.
Then something else was wrong at home or your perception is off on the men. Or do you think that both of your sisters were no good and managed to fool these good, educated men of theirs?

GFR7

Town Heretic said:
I didn't actually think so, but you put a great big stamp of approval over the whole of what he proposed and without serious qualification that's exactly what one of his ideas could lead to.
I was presupposing that everyone now believes domestic violence negates a marriage.

I mean objectively. For instance, getting a trophy wife to replace your old one might really just be shallow.

Then something else was wrong at home or your perception is off on the men. Or do you think that both of your sisters were no good and managed to fool these good, educated men of theirs?
None of the above. My sisters are beautiful, intelligent, and very , very juvenile and unstable. (One of them told me, "I've all my life wanted a criminal.") Trust me, if you knew what I know and had experienced it for many years, really lived it, you'd agree.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

we are just trying to protect the kids
so
just let us know
if
you need help protecting two guys living together

I am sure somebody will care

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
we are just trying to protect the kids
I think most reasonable and decent people would support that aim.

so just let us know if you need help protecting two guys living together
Let me know if you need any help connecting that to a rationally supported premise. :think: Because I love a challenge.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
There will doubtless be a strong argument for it, though I imagine there will be historical, sociological and psychological arguments made against it. It's even hard to oppose Biblically when you consider the wives of some of God's men, like Abraham or Solomon.

Should it be legalized? Wouldn't its legalization further redefine marriage?
It would expand or reestablish wider parameters for participation.

How about incestuous pairings?
Much less difficult to oppose given genetic and psychological distortions involved with that sort of pairing.

Any "bigotry" on your part when it comes to its legalization?
I don't think bigotry has to come into play in any of the considerations going on here or even in the one involving homosexuals. You can oppose that latter union without being a bigot. But you can't, so far as I can discern, oppose its legality as a rationalist. And that should be the foundation for secular law.

quip

BANNED
Banned
How about polygamy?

Should it be legalized? Wouldn't its legalization further redefine marriage?

How about incestuous pairings?

Any "bigotry" on your part when it comes to its legalization?

Why the slippery-sloped questionnaire?

Is the left redefining marriage or simply attempting to include homosexuals under the current rubric?

PureX

I don't think bigotry has to come into play in any of the considerations going on here or even in the one involving homosexuals. You can oppose that latter union without being a bigot. But you can't, so far as I can discern, oppose its legality as a rationalist. And that should be the foundation for secular law.
The bigotry becomes evident with the assumption of one's own moral superiority. An assumption based on the unquestioned allegiance to one's own perspective and opinions.

WizardofOz

Why the slippery-sloped questionnaire?
Gay marriage and polygamy
A not-so-slippery slope

The air is alright up here. Feel free to remove you head from the sand.

It's all part of the same debate.

Is the left redefining marriage or simply attempting to include homosexuals under the current rubric?

Don't be a bigot. Why shouldn't polygamists and blood relatives be included under that same umbrella?

Don't dodge the issue.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Of course not. Not all marriages end for serious reasons: My 2 sisters dumped perfectly decent, kind, educated men so they could take up with hooligans half their age.

OR perhaps you don't know everything that was going on in their marriages. People of selective reasoning view things as they wish to view them.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
so how do we keep mommy and daddy together?

provide tax breaks to married couples
provide tax exemptions for children
give the mother who normally stays home the social security of the father when he dies

make marriage sacred
make marriage a life commitment
make protection of the children the purpose of marriage

go after those who abandon their children

just for starters

Your list is shallow, at best. Divorces aren't about *tax breaks*.

shagster01

My parents hated each other when I was young. They finally got divorced when I was about 11. I do wonder if two moms who love each other would be better than a mom and dad who hate each other.....