• YES

Votes: 42 33.6%
  • NO

Votes: 63 50.4%
  • OTHER (explain below)

Votes: 20 16.0%

• Total voters

mercyschild

I have only been on here since April, but not really actively posting in that time. I am kind of in the middle in terms f the whole reputation system. This is one of the only sites I have ever come across that has ever had a rep system.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
The reputation system is intended for fun, nothing more, nothing less.
Ok.
Many people (like myself) like the rep system because I can give comments to folks for their posts "behind the scenes" so to speak.
Sure! why not?
For others it has become an obsession and a distraction.
Can't please everybody.
And for some it has caused hurt feelings and ill will.
Life is Hell. :D
Tell me what you think... should we keep it or dump it?
Keep it.

Chileice

I think many people are too competitive. As well, it may discourage real debate for fear of getting "neg-repped". But there should be some way to "high-five" someone without breaking down the thread. And if rep is going to continue, I think getting more rep if you get high-fived by the "right people" makes boot-licking more of a reality. Some people just crave attention and they are people pleasers, so they will please those from whom they can get the most "rep". Rep needs to just be even. Five points from anybody who reps you, whether they are new, old, left, right, whatever.

Morphy

Chileice said:
I think many people are too competitive. As well, it may discourage real debate for fear of getting "neg-repped". But there should be some way to "high-five" someone without breaking down the thread. And if rep is going to continue, I think getting more rep if you get high-fived by the "right people" makes boot-licking more of a reality. Some people just crave attention and they are people pleasers, so they will please those from whom they can get the most "rep". Rep needs to just be even. Five points from anybody who reps you, whether they are new, old, left, right, whatever.

One should not be afraid to say his own opinion. As far as I know even huge neg rep doesn't mean banning.

KEEP IT. Just look at our :Commie: :) what a pleasure to see their negative reps :)

Damian

Knight said:
The reputation system is intended for fun, nothing more, nothing less.

Many people (like myself) like the rep system because I can give comments to folks for their posts "behind the scenes" so to speak.

For others it has become an obsession and a distraction.

And for some it has caused hurt feelings and ill will.

Tell me what you think... should we keep it or dump it?

The reputation system is simply being used to pander to those who share similar viewpoints while slandering those of differing viewpoints. Evangelicals pat each other on the back while atheists to the same.

It is meaningless. I say dispense with it.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Damian said:
The reputation system is simply being used to pander to those who share similar viewpoints while slandering those of differing viewpoints. Evangelicals pat each other on the back while atheists to the same.
Simplistic.
It is meaningless. I say dispense with it.
Atheism is meaningless. Let's dispense with that too! :thumb:

Morphy

Damian said:
The reputation system is simply being used to pander to those who share similar viewpoints while slandering those of differing viewpoints.
Wasn't it supposed to do so?

Dispensing it for that reason would be like dismantling car's engine because it enables the car to move.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Morphy said:
Wasn't it supposed to do so?

Dispensing it for that reason would be like dismantling car's engine because it enables the car to move.
Lie-berals are at a disadvantage with the rep system. What they want is a rep system that awards pos reps to lie-berals and neg reps to conservatives automatically. :darwinsm:

Real Sorceror

I just had a thought. How about on New Years you set us all back to zero? It would kinda level the playing field a bit. Plus you could hand out a "Most Popular Bloke on TOL" award. :)

Real Sorceror

Real Sorceror said:
I just had a thought. How about on New Years you set us all back to zero? It would kinda level the playing field a bit. Plus you could hand out a "Most Popular Bloke on TOL" award. :)
I guess nobody found that idea too exciting........:noid:

Evee

Real Sorceror said:
I guess nobody found that idea too exciting........:noid:
It would be ok by me if the reputation meter was set back but I really like it more than not. I enjoy a fast comment to someones post without a pm.
Now as far as popularity contests I just don't like them it can hurt feelings make some feel alienated. :)

Alhazred

Im probably the only open :Commie: on here and i love the rep system so i dont think it should go :party: and im the one you love to neg rep without that what would you do for fun? :think:

Note to consumer: not endorsing the negative repping of this :Commie:

Mr. 5020

I couldn't resist...

I couldn't resist...

Alhazred said:
Im probably the only open :Commie: on here and i love the rep system so i dont think it should go :party: and im the one you love to neg rep without that what would you do for fun? :think:

Note to consumer: not endorsing the negative repping of this :Commie:
I couldn't resist... :sigh: