Shots fired at Texas Mohammed art exhibit

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
And these two didn't want to surrender their rights to................not have their profit criticized. But in the U.S. you don't have the right to not be offended. You have the right to be offended and to offend but not to blow up offensive art exhibits and that's just how it is.

If the supreme court would not stifle The Westboro Baptist Church and the outright depravity they were peddling, in fact their brand of offense was far more "in the face" & personal than any cartoon ever was and the supreme court said it was protected under the first amendment so, if these folks don't like it, they can pack it in and go back to the sandbox where brutality, beheadings, and butchery are SOP.

So, if there are people in our society that will murder for a cartoon then I say we need sting operations to bring them out and snuff them.
Just like we have drug stings and stolen cars stings and prostitution stings and so forth.

I could not agree more...

Perhaps an Atheist billboard around Christmas by a major freeway in the Bible Belt with some cameras to catch anyone vandalizing it..................

Or maybe a billboard with a cartoon of Muhammad...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No doubt, but the KKK hangs black people from trees
Where are they doing that? Where have they done that within the life of most people under forty?

whereas this is a CARTOON EXHIBIT (sorry for the volume) so that analogy doesn't hold.
That's like calling that Klan march a constitutional. Sure, people are walking a lot, but if you think that's the point...

And that's the point of the analogy: the march would inspire hostility in people in a way the simple knowledge that somewhere hate filled whites were wearing bedsheets and longing for their good old days wouldn't. So we've gone beyond the exercise to the point of the exercise.

I wrote: I'd rather have a world where as few people are killed as is reasonably possible without anyone having to surrender their own rights to manage it.
And these two didn't want to surrender their rights to................not have their profit criticized.
It isn't about what two nut jobs thought was reasonable. I expect the stupid guy to jump off the cliff with enough people cheering. It's the people cheering who know some nut job is likely to jump because of it that I'm speaking to.

We can't stop people from being their own worst enemies. That doesn't mean we should go out of our way to see to it. Or at least I think it shouldn't.

But in the U.S. you don't have the right to not be offended. You have the right to be offended and to offend but not to blow up offensive art exhibits and that's just how it is.
Not a point I'm arguing against in any shape, form or fashion. You can say almost, write almost and think anything. I'm speaking to the responsible use of a right and where that use crosses over into something else.

So, if there are people in our society that will murder for a cartoon then I say we need sting operations to bring them out and snuff them.
Just like we have drug stings and stolen cars stings and prostitution stings and so forth.
This wasn't a sting operation. This was a bug light where, when it works, someone is likely hurt or dies.

Perhaps an Atheist billboard around Christmas by a major freeway in the Bible Belt with some cameras to catch anyone vandalizing it..................
And of course you understand I never once suggested that anyone be denied the right to do that either. Same sort of complaint, when it comes right down to it, only this one has an exponentially greater likelihood of ending in tragedy that transcends offense.

Last edited:

zoo22

Doesn't need to be Christmastime. They're vandalized & removed all year long. There was a "Don't believe in God? You're not alone" billboard taken down just a couple of weeks ago.

Atheist Billboard in Knoxville (Tennessee) Removed After Just 5 Days After Complaint from Local Business Owner

Anyway, these killings are disgusting and horrific, and so is Pamela Geller and her $10,000 prize for the most offensive anti-Muslim cartoon. I hope she chokes on her "freedom of speech" and loses her larynx.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If the bug light works to eradicate the bugs, it did it's job.
Is it our job to set up and eradicate human beings?

Don't be a bug and you won't get zapped.
Or, don't want to come to an unreasonable end then don't act unreasonably, to put it another way. Sure. But is it reasonable in the first instance, noble, charitable or even particularly Christian to set up a circumstance by which the greatest likelihood of moving someone to violence is in play?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Anyway, these killings are disgusting and horrific, and so is Pamela Geller and her $10,000 prize for the most offensive anti-Muslim cartoon. I hope she chokes on her "freedom of speech" and loses her larynx.

I hope she makes millions holding more seminars to flush out even more violent nutters into the open. All hail freedom of speech!

zoo22

I hope she makes millions holding more seminars to flush out even more violent nutters into the open. All hail freedom of speech!

Oh please. As if you actually want freedom of speech. At least be honest with yourself.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Is it our job to set up and eradicate human beings?

They eradicated themselves when they brought the violence. You did not see the parents or loved ones of downed soldiers bringing violence agaist the Westboro Baptist Church nutters when they openly protested the funerals of these men now did you? These individuals made a conscious decision to react violently to something they found offensive and lost their lives in the process...their choice...period. You do not have the right to not be offended and as a lawyer you should know that.

Or, don't want to come to an unreasonable end then don't act unreasonably, to put it another way. Sure. But is it reasonable in the first instance, noble, charitable or even particularly Christian to set up a circumstance by which the greatest likelihood of moving someone to violence is in play?

I could not agree more...If you are offended by the actions of others ignore it or react violently to said offense and meet your peril...it is as simple as that. These men committed suicide, and you can't feel sorry for stupid.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Oh please. As if you actually want freedom of speech. At least be honest with yourself.

There are plenty of things that are done and spoken to which I find offense yet, I do not feel that I have the right to shoot the people which offend me which these two individuals attempted to do. The first amendment does not just protect the things you agree with, it exists for the exact opposite, to protect that which you find deplorable. Even the most liberal justices on the supreme court upheld that basic right, that is the honest truth and I can accept it, why can't you?

zoo22

There are plenty of things that are done and spoken to which I find offense yet, I do not feel that I have the right to shoot the people which offend me which these two individuals did. The first amendment does not just protect the things you agree with, it exists for the exact opposite, to protect that which you find deplorable. Even the most liberal justices on the supreme court upheld that basic right, that is the honest truth and I can accept it, why can't you?

I do. I think Pamela Geller is a demented monger using free speech as a cloak for her hate mongering. Like I said, I hope she chokes on her freedom of speech and loses her larynx.

That doesn't change anything about my thinking that religious zealots are a scourge on the world.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The average Texan is nothing like the politicians they elect to office. The average Texan has low expectations for government, and unfortunately, he tends to vote for people who will fulfill his expectations.

And you have to remember that in the early days, politics was one of the few reliable sources of entertainment we had.

Most Texans don't actually want Ted Cruz as president, but they take a kind of perverse pride in the way he makes establishment republicans hyperventilate.
You shut up too.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I do. I think Pamela Geller is a demented monger using free speech as a cloak for her hate mongering. Like I said, I hope she chokes on her freedom of speech and loses her larynx.

No different than atheists putting up an offensive billboard in the Bible belt to incite the majority of Christians living there or taking a crucifix and putting it in a jar of urine. I hope the people that do these thing also get the same offense back in return...so there. The fact remains that the 1st amendment protects all these offenses.

That doesn't change anything about my thinking that religious zealots are a scourge on the world.

What you "think" doesn't mean spit now does it? The same could be said for the godless morally relative atheist, in the end it really doesn't matter what you think, or I think about anything either one of us find offensive, what does matter is how we deal with, or process that anger we feel when offended in light of the freedoms that we all have. Violence is not the answer, it only begets more violence.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

Pamela Geller is a watchman on the wall saying, "Wake up America before it's too late."
When Sharia law shuts down all freedoms in this great land, people will be wishing for the days of Pamela Geller.

If you haven't noticed, Islamists are the religious zealots and they mean to make the whole world submit(Islam) to Sharia Law or off with your head. They cannot be reasoned with.

Tinark

Pamela Geller is a watchman on the wall saying, "Wake up America before it's too late."
When Sharia law shuts down all freedoms in this great land, people will be wishing for the days of Pamela Geller.

You are falling for the irrational fear mongering hook, line and sinker, and you are being controlled by people who are playing on your irrational fear like a fiddle.

If you haven't noticed, Islamists are the religious zealots and they mean to make the whole world submit(Islam) to Sharia Law or off with your head. They cannot be reasoned with.

Desire and ability to implement those desires are two completely different things.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
You are falling for the irrational fear mongering hook, line and sinker, and you are being controlled by people who are playing on your irrational fear like a fiddle.

Nope! Just a realist.

Desire and ability to implement those desires are two completely different things.

Watch!

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

Too much political correctness clouds the minds of liberals to get this concept Steko. Progressive liberals like any other appeaser think these Islamists/religious zealots can be reasoned with, and they cannot be further from the truth. At some point, probably when the enemy has attacked us at home they will get it but, not until the danger they are courting is glaring them straight in the face.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
No, sorry. To fear Saudi or ISIS style Sharia law (or any of their various permutations) in the United States or even Europe is completely bonkers.

How so? They are firmly entrenched in Europe & the United Kingdom, what makes you think that they cannot overtake either?