Shooting at SC Church During Bible Study - Suspect still at large

M

Man.0

Well I'm glad to know there's a break in there somewhere...so it's mostly other people's suffering that has the hand of God in it?

What exactly is classified as suffering, and who defines it? Is receiving a razor-blade scratch - as a natural consequence or as a result of carelessness - deemed as suffering? Is it a tragedy? Is it on par with being robbed, or being stabbed, or being shot and killed? If you deem a razor scratch to be suffering, then I don't think you have known what true suffering is, my friend. Besides, suffering is relative. What may be joyous to you, might be torture and pain to another. How do you know I'm not a masochist or a sadist and find pain to be pleasurable? How do you know that cutting myself with a razor was not a delight? If I found it pleasurable, would it still be classified as suffering?

I never said it was just other people's suffering and not my own, that has the hand of God in it. I too have suffered because of sin. And i'm aware that if I continue in sin, I will perish - just like any other person who continues to be disobedient. Just like those who died in that shooting; for they wouldn't have died if they had repented and turned away from their sin; but instead they died in their sins, and because of it.

Tragedy, calamities, evil and suffering come as a result of sin and disobedience. The wrath of God comes because of sin:

'But sexual immorality and any impurity or greed should not even be heard of among you, as is proper for saints. Coarse and foolish talking or crude joking are not suitable, but rather giving thanks. For know and recognize this: Every sexually immoral or impure or greedy person, who is an idolater, does not have an inheritance in the kingdom of the Messiah and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty arguments, for God’s wrath is coming on the disobedient because of these things.' (Ephesians 5:3-6)

'Therefore, put to death what belongs to your worldly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desire, and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, God’s wrath comes on the disobedient...'
(Colossians 3:5-6).

Wrath doesn't come without disobedience, and the curse without cause does not come (Proverbs 26:2).

M

Man.0

But despite having said that suffering is relative, I believe that suffering can reach a level where it is objective; a suffering which all humans would find equally tormenting.

M

Man.0

Wow, the implication of what ManO is saying is Dylan Roof was sent by God to administer justice.

So why is the state of South Carolina putting him on trial?

Dylan Roof being used as an instrument of God to punish, doesn't negate his own punishment. Those who died were being punished for their evil (their sins, such as taking God's name in vain), and the person who killed is being/will be punished for his evil (murder, and/or his own sins). From what I know, and from what I'm aware, God uses evil to punish evil, then punishes that evil that was used against the other evil. All must be punished - for without punishment how will they be corrected? And without being corrected how will one enter the kingdom of God? Correction means going through tribulation and suffering - without such how will one enter the kingdom of God?:

'Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.' (Acts 14:22)

M

Man.0

Well yeah. Using your "logic" every time someone gets murdered, raped, molested etc it's at the decree of God. :plain:

'Aren't two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father's will.' (Matthew 10:29). Likewise, not one person is murdered, raped, molested etc apart from the will of God. One reaps what they sow. If one does evil, evil will come upon them. Everyone gets what they deserve. We do live in a just and fair universe, governed by God - Who is sovereign, and therefore not only controls and oversees all things, but is the cause of all things, including evil.

'And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.' (Colossians 1:17)

'I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.' (Isaiah 45:7)

I suppose the death camps in WWII were the same right, along with any other atrocity?

Indeed. Evils do not come upon someone/group of people unless it has been ordained by God, and in accordance with His will. And His will is for evil/disobedience to be punished, whether by famine, pestilence, nature, or at the hands of other people.

bybee

How was it not their fault? Wasn't their death the result of their sins? The sins which they chose to commit.

'...the soul who sins shall die' (Ezekiel 18:4)

'There were some present at that very time who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. 2 And he answered them, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered in this way? 3 No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. 4 Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them: do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? 5 No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.” ' (Luke 13:1-6)

You might change your focus a bit and concentrate on God created life for a purpose. Jesus said that he had come that we might have abundant life. I prefer to live unmolested and I wish the same for you.
God is Love. We are commanded to love God and our neighbor. We are definitely not suppose to judge the worth of each other.

M

Man.0

Man.O

You're making yourself a nutcase. What makes you think that those murdered at the S.C. church were members of a false religion OR took God's Name in vain?

I think these things - not of my own accord/understanding - but from the knowledge that I've been made aware of, which has been revealed to me (by God, and through faith) as being true.

On top of everything else, you identify yourself as "Other" - not a "Christian". What does the "Other" stand for?

I simply chose 'other' because I do not think any of the other options defined my current position.

I think that your judgment is FALSE, and you should be more careful with what websites you read.

You judge my judgment as being false? What are you basing your judgment on - facts (if so, what are those facts)? If not, then it is merely opinion, and opinion would not hold up in an objective setting, such as a court of law.

A definition of opinion, by the way:

'a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.'

Unless you can bring facts to the table, your judgment is merely based on opinion. It is your opinion that my judgment is false; it is not a fact that my judgment is false.

M

Man.0

That might be your opinion

It could technically be said that is my opinion - being that it is I who have stated it - but the information that forms my opinion comes from a source other than myself, that is an objective source. And thus, my opinion is based on an objective, truthful, unbiased foundation; not a subjective one. What if the 'opinion' that I have stated is informed by, and based on, truthful knowledge? Would you still disregard it?

Granite

Hall of Fame
It could technically be said that is my opinion - being that it is I who have stated it - but the information that forms my opinion comes from a source other than myself, that is an objective source. And thus, my opinion is based on an objective, truthful, unbiased foundation; not a subjective one. What if the 'opinion' that I have stated is informed by, and based on, truthful knowledge? Would you still disregard it?

Troll. :execute:

rainee

Granite and Rex
You both have been nominated to win the most annoying posters in all OF the known world according to TOL.

Which I'm hoping you can share with Town and Eeset...

Then y'all can go square dancing, the four of you - and not have to wait to find anyone to partner with!

Granite

Hall of Fame
Granite and Rex
You both have been nominated to win the most annoying posters in all OF the known world according to TOL

Excellent! Do I get a gold star to pin on my fridge or a complimentary subscription to the Jelly of the Month club?:think:

rainee

Excellent! Do I get a gold star to pin on my fridge or a complimentary subscription to the Jelly of the Month club?:think:

You get to go square dancing without waiting if all four of you share the award...

You are willing to share?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What exactly is classified as suffering, and who defines it?
We've already had this conversation, after a fashion (you made a bizarre claim and I refuted it, followed by prolonged silence) in the thread about objective truth.

Or, you might struggle to define it, but trust me you'll know it when you experience it.

Is receiving a razor-blade scratch - as a natural consequence or as a result of carelessness - deemed as suffering?
Does it hurt? There's your answer. The rest is degree.

Is it a tragedy? Is it on par with being robbed, or being stabbed, or being shot and killed?
Of course not, which is why no one has suggested it. Are you suggesting it?

If you deem a razor scratch to be suffering, then I don't think you have known what true suffering is, my friend.
It's more that I own a dictionary and, also, that I know what a petard is, which is something I rarely find extremists tend to understand...though many are left dangling in that particular ignorance.

Besides, suffering is relative.
You get it from your kids? :plain:

What may be joyous to you, might be torture and pain to another.
Are you saying that's why God made raves? But understanding degree doesn't negate the underlying point. It only moves it about in illustration.

How do you know I'm not a masochist or a sadist and find pain to be pleasurable? How do you know that cutting myself with a razor was not a delight? If I found it pleasurable, would it still be classified as suffering?
It may well be that you suffer from some mental illness or perversion that precludes you from experiencing a common thing. It may be that I'm talking about a rainbow and you're simply color blind, but so long as you have a dictionary and the ability to encompass something beyond your personal experience you'll be capable of understanding the point...even if you put your eye out with it.

I never said it was just other people's suffering and not my own, that has the hand of God in it.
So, is your minor pain an act of God? Or is it just the murder of strangers?

I too have suffered because of sin. And i'm aware that if I continue in sin, I will perish - just like any other person who continues to be disobedient.
Any person who is born of flesh will perish in the flesh. Those people might have died at market or in their beds or in prayer, but every one of them would die eventually, as I will and you will. And you could argue the root of all death is sin, but within that sentence what you're doing is mistaken and callous.

Just like those who died in that shooting; for they wouldn't have died if they had repented and turned away from their sin; but instead they died in their sins, and because of it.
Now you're just talking through your hat and sounding like an offensive, holier than thou doofus who will likely remain in that sanctimony (God forbid) until the plane he's riding in begins a spiral or something akin. Their spiritual fate is unknown to you and in the hands of God. The rest will find you, gently or no, in its good time.

Tragedy, calamities, evil and suffering come as a result of sin and disobedience.
No, rain falls on the just and unjust. The evil we do we do and a mother who drowns her children isn't giving them what they have coming, your sad theological manipulations notwithstanding.

The wrath of God comes because of sin...Wrath doesn't come without disobedience, and the curse without cause does not come.
And sometimes a cigar is just a cigar (isn't wrath at all), you poor fellow.

Arthur Brain

'Aren't two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father's will.' (Matthew 10:29). Likewise, not one person is murdered, raped, molested etc apart from the will of God. One reaps what they sow. If one does evil, evil will come upon them. Everyone gets what they deserve. We do live in a just and fair universe, governed by God - Who is sovereign, and therefore not only controls and oversees all things, but is the cause of all things, including evil.

'And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.' (Colossians 1:17)

'I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.' (Isaiah 45:7)

Indeed. Evils do not come upon someone/group of people unless it has been ordained by God, and in accordance with His will. And His will is for evil/disobedience to be punished, whether by famine, pestilence, nature, or at the hands of other people.

So a kid who gets molested has reaped what they sow, got it.

You're an idiot.

M

Man.0

This may well be my last reply, as it's not my intention to go back and forth with you incessantly.

We've already had this conversation, after a fashion (you made a bizarre claim and I refuted it, followed by prolonged silence) in the thread about objective truth.

I have not yet got round to replying back to in you in that other thread (which I aim to do so). Don't think that 'prolonged silence' means anything.

Or, you might struggle to define it, but trust me you'll know it when you experience it.

I personally don't find cutting myself with a razor as suffering (yet you seem to say that it is). Who are you to tell me that I'm wrong?

Does it hurt? There's your answer. The rest is degree.

If I momentarily stub my toe upon a small stone once, just the once; can I legitimately say that I have suffered? "Oh woe is me! I have stubbed myself upon a small stone! Who can sympathise with me, the suffering I have gone through!" Doesn't that sound rather absurd? Rather, suffering can be said to be pain experienced through a prolonged or extensive period of time; not an instanteous event. Can it be said that the dog who was put down within seconds without feeling pain, suffered? Or is it rather the dog who was left to die in an agonising state (without intervention) over a period of time, the one who suffered? And I do not think that suffering is simply defined only by time, but also by intensity. I do think that for something to be truly classified as suffering it must be intense pain/discomfort/anguish/remorse felt, over a period of time. I do not see how having momentary nerves before giving a speech could be classified as suffering; but contionous anxiety and panic attacks - yes I can see how that can be suffering.

It's more that I own a dictionary and, also, that I know what a petard is, which is something I rarely find extremists tend to understand...though many are left dangling in that particular ignorance.

Even your dictionary doesn't provide a true, objective definition of suffering. Afterall, aren't supposdely objective dictionaries based on the subjective opinions of humans?

Are you saying that's why God made raves? But understanding degree doesn't negate the underlying point. It only moves it about in illustration.

And what is the underlying point?

So, is your minor pain an act of God? Or is it just the murder of strangers?

It could be. It depends what caused it. If it was my own foolishness then no, I wouldn't say it was an act of God. As I'm sure you well know, stupidy can lead to suffering.

Any person who is born of flesh will perish in the flesh. Those people might have died at market or in their beds or in prayer,

The way that a person died is telling; and indicative of that person's spiritual state. The people in the Dylan Roof shooting, died a tragic, violent, untimely death. This shows that they were unrepentant. God would not cause a person to die such a death, unless they were stubbornly stewing in their sins. Do you not think they had an abundant life to live if they chose righteousness instead? Sin prematurely cut all of that short - and thus they never attained the life that God intended for them, which is a life full of abundance (John 10:10). They never reached the Promised Land, so to speak.

but every one of them would die eventually, as I will and you will.

But the timing and nature of our death says much about the life that we chose to lead.

And you could argue the root of all death is sin,

Romans 6:23: 'For the wages of sin is death...'

Romans 5:12: 'Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned...'

but within that sentence what you're doing is mistaken and callous.

How so?

Now you're just talking through your hat and sounding like an offensive, holier than thou doofus

Doofus? I wonder what your basis is for using such a word, except your own subjective opinion - which is not valid in an objective sense.

No, rain falls on the just and unjust.

Yes, He sends rain on the righteous and the wicked (Are you trying to say that He only does good things?)... but he also witholds rain:

'Therefore the heavens above you withhold the dew, and the earth withholds its fruit. For I called for a drought on the land and the mountains, on the grain and the new wine and the oil, on whatever the ground brings forth, on men and livestock, and on all the labor of your hands.' (Hagga 1:10-11)

and sends famines:

'Now Elijah the Tishbite, from the Gilead settlers, said to Ahab, “As the Lord God of Israel lives, I stand before Him, and there will be no dew or rain during these years except by my command!' (1 Kings 17:1)

The evil we do we do and a mother who drowns her children isn't giving them what they have coming, your sad theological manipulations notwithstanding.

The mother who purposely and wilfully drowned her children has committed murder, and she will reap what she has sown. And the children who died at her hands could have very well reaped what they sowed - the death being the reaping, and the sowing being their own sins (yes, children do sin). Do you know that, in the Old Testament, even children died for their sins?

I might also say that such an a occurrence as a mother murdering her children, is the result of possessing a sinful nature. Having a sinful nature is the definitive cause of sin. Not saying that one has to sin. By the way, are you aware that you yourself are a murderer ?

And sometimes a cigar is just a cigar (isn't wrath at all), you poor fellow.

You simply cannot recognise the wrath of God for what is - the wrath of God.

M

Man.0

So a kid who gets molested has reaped what they sow, got it.

You're an idiot.

We live in a world inhabited by sinful humans. The occurrence of a molested child is, in a plain way, the result of a sinful human action. The result of the molester's own sinful nature - a nature which impels a person to do evil things.

Now, the evil things that a person does, God can, and does, use them as ways or vehicles of implementing His wrath. So the child may have suffered the evil of molestation because of the wrath of God abiding upon him/her (because of their own personal sins - don't children sin?) or because of the generational sin of the the child's family. Have you not heard of 3rd/4th generational curses, where wrath, caused by the sins of parents/grand-parents/great-grandparents, is inflicted upon the children?

I do not think that God would allow His wrath (caused by sin & disobedience) to fall upon the innocent and blameless. Yet who is innocent and blameless?

Bad things (tragedies & suffering) happen to people because of sin - whether their own sin, or the sins of their family. I cannot think of any other reason why bad things happen.

Arthur Brain

We live in a world inhabited by sinful humans. The occurrence of a molested child is, in a plain way, the result of a sinful human action. The result of the molester's own sinful nature - a nature which impels a person to do evil things.

Now, the evil things that a person does, God can, and does, use them as ways or vehicles of implementing His wrath. So the child may have suffered the evil of molestation because of the wrath of God abiding upon him/her (because of their own personal sins - don't children sin?) or because of the generational sin of the the child's family. Have you not heard of 3rd/4th generational curses, where wrath, caused by the sins of parents/grand-parents/great-grandparents, is inflicted upon the children?

I do not think that God would allow His wrath (caused by sin & disobedience) to fall upon the innocent and blameless. Yet who is innocent and blameless?

Bad things (tragedies & suffering) happen to people because of sin - whether their own sin, or the sins of their family. I cannot think of any other reason why bad things happen.

Right, so a five year old child is molested and it's because the wrath of God is abiding on him. Your entire "argument" is pathetic. The notion that everyone who dies a violent death or suffers rape/molestation etc is unrepentant is repugnant beyond words, and frankly, so are you.