Robert De Nero....

Damian

....can't act. He just applies his character to the part he is given. He is, in effect, just playing himself in different roles.

That's why he's a star. People find his personality entertaining.

By the way, I'm surprised to learn that you actually watch movies. Apparently, sports are sinful, but movies are not.

Last edited:

musterion

According to Truster, Christians aren't Christians, they're just actors -- fakes pretending to be something genuine.

According to Truster, actors aren't actors, they're actually genuine -- they just pass themselves off as someone they're not.

Both of these propositions are often true, but not always true and absolutely not absolutely true.

The wacky, mixed-up world according to Truster.

Arthur Brain

What do you want, a lot of makeup and a speech impediment? There's the man and the things that must carry with it and then there's the performance. You seem confused about what constitutes acting. Being able to believably inhabit a character and communicate that to you, to project the truth of that character, that's acting. He does that extraordinarily, when he's in form.

Raging Bull, The Godfather, Taxi Driver, The Deer Hunter, Silver Linings Playbook, Ronin, Cape Fear, by way of example. You aren't watching the movie thinking about De Niro, but about those characters. The point isn't to say, at some point, "I can't believe that was De Niro," but to be thinking about the character and performance.

People who know movies and acting, especially his peers, know what you don't appear to.

Very well said and very little to add - apart from that De Niro isn't actually in 'The Godfather'...:eek:

Although I'm sure Truster would probably think that Al Pacino can't act either...

:plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Very well said and very little to add - apart from that De Niro isn't actually in 'The Godfather'...:eek:
He's in Godfather II, which I actually think is the better of the two (I pointedly ignore the III). He plays Brando's character as a young man. Terrific move and one of my favorite of his roles.

Arthur Brain

He's in Godfather II, which I actually think is the better of the two (I pointedly ignore the III). He plays Brando's character as a young man. Terrific move and one of my favorite of his roles.

Well you should have specified that then...:eek: There's very little to choose between the first two IMO and he does indeed play a great part in the second as he does in most films. Agreed in regards to the third...:plain:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He's in Godfather II, which I actually think is the better of the two
I agree.

Have you seen the Halo Oranges commercial that has the little girl cutting off the head of her plush toy horse and putting in the bed of her parents? (cause they were out of Halo oranges).

Cracked me up!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
....can't act. He just applies his character to the part he is given. He is, in effect, just playing himself in different roles.

You might say the same about John Wayne

and yet, they are both respected

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You might say the same about John Wayne

and yet, they are both respected
He was great in a number of things, from Stagecoach to Red River, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, The Searchers and my sentimental favorite, The Quiet Man. Truster doesn't understand the craft. He appears to think it's all Lon Chaney or Alec Guinness. Nothing wrong with either of those, but that's the difference between character actors and principles, to some extent.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Be that as it may, I love to watch the man work!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
John Wayne was my next example and I'm please that you also saw this. His playing the Roman Centurion in the greatest story ever told was the pits.
It's hard to do much with a single sentence...

Just look at how little you do with more. :plain: