Robert De Nero....

Truster

....can't act. He just applies his character to the part he is given. He is, in effect, just playing himself in different roles.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
....can't act. He just applies his character to the part he is given. He is, in effect, just playing himself in different roles.
What do you want, a lot of makeup and a speech impediment? There's the man and the things that must carry with it and then there's the performance. You seem confused about what constitutes acting. Being able to believably inhabit a character and communicate that to you, to project the truth of that character, that's acting. He does that extraordinarily, when he's in form.

Raging Bull, The Godfather, Taxi Driver, The Deer Hunter, Silver Linings Playbook, Ronin, Cape Fear, by way of example. You aren't watching the movie thinking about De Niro, but about those characters. The point isn't to say, at some point, "I can't believe that was De Niro," but to be thinking about the character and performance.

People who know movies and acting, especially his peers, know what you don't appear to.

zoo22

Two things:

1) You make Christianity look absurd.

2) Eh, I guess there wasn't really a #2.

Last edited:

zoo22

Robert De Nero ....can't act. He just applies his character to the part he is given. He is, in effect, just playing himself in different roles.

And you can't spell...it's Robert De Niro

You've obviously got the wrong actor.

:plain:

Are you for real?

Seriously.

Okay, Hm. Well, anyway. Whether or not you're real, Truster, do you spell "dog" with three o's or 4?

The Berean

What do you want, a lot of makeup and a speech impediment? There's the man and the things that must carry with it and then there's the performance. You seem confused about what constitutes acting. Being able to believably inhabit a character and communicate that to you, to project the truth of that character, that's acting. He does that extraordinarily, when he's in form.

Raging Bull, The Godfather, Taxi Driver, The Deer Hunter, Silver Linings Playbook, Ronin, Cape Fear, by way of example. You aren't watching the movie thinking about De Niro, but about those characters. The point isn't to say, at some point, "I can't believe that was De Niro," but to be thinking about the character and performance.

People who know movies and acting, especially his peers, know what you don't appear to.
Ragin Bull is an incredible film about a violent, self-destructive, deeply flawed man. I remember saying to myself after I watched the film, "Was the real Jake LaMotta such a vicious and despicable man?" Years later I saw an interview that LaMotta gave and he said the film was "about 95% accurate"! Wow. :noid: LaMotta is still alive today by the way...

JakeLaMotta_with_DeNiro.jpg

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
De Nero was De Nero even when Rome burned...but he learned to play the fiddle in that film.

But it was still De Nero

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
De Niro doesn't act he just kind of cocks his head to one side.

"what did I just say?"
"what did I just say?"