Rationale For "Halls of Fame"?

bybee

I have thought that "Halls of Fame" are instituted to recognize excellence and to give people role models of behavior to which they may aspire or not.

Quincy

I suppose a Hall of Fame can be blind to infamy, as long as you did something better than everyone else.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have thought that "Halls of Fame" are instituted to recognize excellence and to give people role models of behavior to which they may aspire or not.
Nah.
It takes bribes. BIG BIG bribes.

bybee

I suppose a Hall of Fame can be blind to infamy, as long as you did something better than everyone else.

Sadly, some of the professional athlete Halls of Fame may attest to that!
Yet...
We are human beings and we may excel at something's and fall flat on our faces in others.
I appreciate excellence because it almost always represents great effort, sacrifice and discipline.

Doom

godrulz should have his HoF induction revoked. I happen to know that he uses performance enhancing commentaries.

Quincy

Sadly, some of the professional athlete Halls of Fame may attest to that!
Yet...
We are human beings and we may excel at something's and fall flat on our faces in others.
I appreciate excellence because it almost always represents great effort, sacrifice and discipline.

I agree. I don't think someone like Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant should be cut out of the basketball hof because they are/were womanizers. Same for Mark McGuire for using peds. They still did their craft with excellence and discipline. I suppose HOF notoriety has a lot to do with what you did for your league, team or in the case of TOL, community, heh.

bybee

I agree. I don't think someone like Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant should be cut out of the basketball hof because they are/were womanizers. Same for Mark McGuire for using peds. They still did their craft with excellence and discipline. I suppose HOF notoriety has a lot to do with what you did for your league, team or in the case of TOL, community, heh.

I don't know how many people are in the TOL Hall of Fame or the method used for selection.
Some of them do contribute a great deal here.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't know how many people are in the TOL Hall of Fame or the method used for selection.
Some of them do contribute a great deal here.
The list is here by year. I think it's by and large Knight mulling on things. I thought it was a nice gesture. I don't believe it signifies more than that, any more than I believe the reputation score is indicative of the value of a poster or a post.

The HOF roll call so far, alphabetically:

Adambassador, Angel4Truth, Ask Mr. Religion, bob b, Bob Enyart, chatmaggot, Chickenman, chrysostom, Delmar, ebenz47037, fool, ghost, godrulz, Granite, Hilston, john w, kmoney, Ktoyou, Lighthouse, Lucky, MaryContrary, Nick M, Psalmist, Rocketman, Rusha, SaulToPaul, Stripe, Tambora, TomO, Town Heretic, Turbo Poly, Vaquero45, Vegas Cowboy, Yorzhik.

That's the list so far...something went wonky in there toward the end, had trouble with the fonts or whatnot. Not sure what happened. :plain:

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
godrulz should have his HoF induction revoked. I happen to know that he uses performance enhancing commentaries.

PEC's, eh? I thought it was PEE-Performance Enhancing Eisegesis and/or Performance Enhancing Exegesis.