Rapture Ready

musterion

And that's the reason why the 'rapture' is bogus, because it sits entirely on the wishful interpretation that the church is not talked about after a certain point in the book :rolleyes:

The traditional, historical belief is that the wicked return to their un-regenerated bodies as bone and death, and are judged at the Throne. Those still alive are either glorified or face judgement- it is a reunion of the damned and saved, and the culling of the living.

If you have a problem with that, then you have a problem indeed- you're in for a rude awakening :wave:

You failed to address the point.

The Body of Christ is not appointed to wrath.

The wrath begins to be poured out upon the earth in Revelation ch. 6.

That means the Body of Christ must be removed from the earth prior to Revelation 6.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
You failed to address the point.

The Body of Christ is not appointed to wrath.

The wrath begins to be poured out upon the earth in Revelation ch. 6.

That means the Body of Christ must be removed from the earth prior to Revelation 6.

They aren't appointed to God's Wrath, which is pretty moot considering that's the entire point of Christianity :plain:

Rather, they must face down the wicked forces.

The problem with the rapture is in it's simple absurdity- you mean to say that the 'saved' will assume into Paradise and those not must face persecution or be damned.
Excuse me thinking that Christians have a duty to help the unsaved, and be persecuted if they must. God's going to take the only light of the world out at the most important time they are needed? :AMR:

It just doesn't pan out as far as I'm concerned. Why even go through such trouble is another thing- Occam's Razor takes a dive here.

musterion

They aren't appointed to God's Wrath, which is pretty moot considering that's the entire point of Christianity :plain:

Tell that to everyone - a growing majority - that believes they'll have to endure at least some part of Jacob's trouble in order to be saved, else they'll be lost.

Rather, they must face down the wicked forces.

During the Tribulation? You made that up.

The problem with the rapture is in it's simple absurdity- you mean to say that the 'saved' will assume into Paradise and those not must face persecution or be damned.

2 Thess 2:10-12

Why did you put saved in quotes? It's a good Bible word; Paul used it often. Why would you doubt-quote it?

Excuse me thinking that Christians have a duty to help the unsaved, and be persecuted if they must.

Not during the time of Christ's wrath (Rev 6:16).

God's going to take the only light of the world out? :AMR:

2 Thess 2:10-12

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Tell that to everyone - a growing majority - that believes they'll have to endure at least some part of Jacob's trouble in order to be saved, else they'll be lost.

So, NO RAPTURE :plain:
The sooner you see how flimsy the notion is, the better.

And, it's not a 'growing majority' by sight- Rapture theory is mostly among those such as dispensationalists- it largely does not exist among traditional Protestants and Catholics, who are the majority.

I'll put it up again- this was the one and only view for 1800 years before Darby came and messed up yall's brains:

The traditional, historical belief is that the wicked return to their un-regenerated bodies as bone and death, and are judged at the Throne. Those still alive are either glorified or face judgement- it is a reunion of the damned and saved, and the culling of the living.

john w

Hall of Fame
There is no clear indication of a 'rapture', because there isn't one.
Which is why it never historically existed in eschatology.

Translation: Since you cannot see/perceive/understand/believe it, the rapture does not exist.

That is how atheists, humanists, dismiss the concept of hell.

Congratulations, Rambo.

Sure, you can cherry pick- that's what you all do to 'prove' anything. But the fact is that the historical view is the only one that is maintained through scripture.

You can cliche us all you want with that "cherry pick" stumper/cliche. But, until you start obeying Leviticus/Deuteronomy, we will dismiss you, Col. Klink, and file you under "drone," with nothing constructive, to add to the debate.

Take your seat-in the back row....

john w

Hall of Fame
Well, you actually posted something that is correct. Kudos.
Rapture theology was invented in the 1800's. It is a doctrine of men that nullifies the Word of God.

Vs. your "doctrine of God?" Prove it.

Another post that says nothing, like all talk show cliches.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
​I moved this to the ECT to keep the inane spam out of it. This topic belongs in the ECT. ;)

john w

Hall of Fame
Rapture theory did not exist ANYWHERE in historical eschatology- it is an invention of late, as with many other things. Like 'free grace'. Or 'dispensationalism'.
None of it is orthodox.

It is quite irrelevant when objective truth is discovered.

Pharaoh to you, Moses: "Your 'I am,' God, is is an invention of late. I/we have never heard of it/Him. Therefore, it is false."

Pharoah, you: Well, uh, urr,you see............

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
elvis.gif

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven (Mt 7:21, emphasis mine).

Interplanner

ἁρπάζω ‘to seize, to snatch away, to take away.’ :dizzy: "...[T]he English "rapture" is a close derivative of the Latin word for "snatch [away]" (viz., rapere) which was used in the Latin Vulgate translation of the New Testament..." Full text: The "Rapture" or The "Snatching Away"

Yes, it is in that passage about the pinchpoint of the 1st century when the son of perdition shows at the temple. Then things get tense. But it is resolved historically because we know that the Roman siege of Jerusalem was stopped for a year by the huge distraction of near-collapse of the Empire in civil strife. The siege was resumed about a year later. During this time Christians left the area.

The idea of being snatched from such danger is nowhere else in the NT, although at the end of the reign of Christ the whole world is harrassing Christians and then their enemies are destroyed by a word from Christ and they are next found in the NHNE.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Scroll's gonna open shortly (Re 5-8)...

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you (Mt 28:19–20a, emphasis mine).

Last edited:

Danoh

...teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you (Mt 28:19–20a, emphasis mine).

Including...

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Including...Matthew 23:1
Yep. :thumb:

Ready to Go
smileys-hockey-and-ice-hockey-053496.gif
~ Republica

Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works (Mt 23:1-3, emphasis mine). :eek:linger:

Danoh

Yep. :thumb:

Ready to Go
smileys-hockey-and-ice-hockey-053496.gif
~ Republica

Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works (Mt 23:1-3, emphasis mine). :eek:linger:

He was reminding them to obey the Law of Moses the Scribes and the Pharisees were the overseers of over Israel as their nation's spiritual rulers in Moses' place; but were no example of keeping said law from the heart.

The result of Matthew 28 will be...

Zechariah 8:20 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; It shall yet come to pass, that there shall come people, and the inhabitants of many cities: 8:21 And the inhabitants of one city shall go to another, saying, Let us go speedily to pray before the LORD, and to seek the LORD of hosts: I will go also. 8:22 Yea, many people and strong nations shall come to seek the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem, and to pray before the LORD. 8:23 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.

Why?

Isaiah 2:2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. 2:3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 2:4 And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. 2:5 O house of Jacob, come ye, and let us walk in the light of the LORD.

When?

After Israel's Prophesied "wrath to come..."

Matthew 10:19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 10:20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you. 10:21 And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death. 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved. 10:23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

But God had planned to TEMPOARILY interrupt that with Israel's equally TEMPORARY fall...

Interplanner

Danoh wrote and quoted:
After Israel's Prophesied "wrath to come..."

Matthew 10:19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 10:20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you. 10:21 And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death. 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved. 10:23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

But God had planned to TEMPOARILY interrupt that with Israel's equally TEMPORARY fall...

Now let's see if we can get this in slo-mo:

1, the "result of Mt 28 will be." Hmmm. In Mt 28, there is "There was a violent earthquake." At least that's one thing. The result was a broken open tomb. Not sure the connection.

Many of us associate Mt 28 with the Great Commission because of the ending. So the Great Commission's result will be...Zech 8's 'let us go latch on to a Jew'??? Isn't that spiritual?

2, Danoh is saying that the wrath to come as known from the OT is the rejection of Jesus followers as addressed in Mt 10 (which btw is echoed in Mt 24). I say 'as known from the OT' because so far his comments have been from the OT setting and view of things. Wow that's a real squeeze!

3, But the PLAN was for God to interrupt that (the rejection of Jesus followers as in Mt 10). TEMPORARILY. To interrupt it, but temporarily. Hmmm. Did that happen?

4, But Israel...fell. The followers or the state? Hmmm. This is rockier than a theme park ride! But they fell temporarily.

5, the TEMPORARY stop of the rejection of the followers (as found in 'come latch on to a Jew') EQUALS the TEMPORARY fall of Israel. So that would be about 2000 year...and counting. Those are some guys back there, living 2000 years and counting. Really interesting work, Danoh.

If you don't have a headache by now, I don't know why not. But if you do, just remember, you could have been reading Gal 3-4 this whole time! Or 2 Cor 3-5 this whole time! So much more exciting and wondrous, and real time and unveiled, etc.

Oh Lord, another idiot.

Normally, outright calling somebody an idiot, personally, isn't appropriate. But, in this case, it's absolutely true, this a perfect example what a wasteland message boards can be.

At very best, somebody making that "Darby invented the rapture" claim of something that's in scripture is real ignorance. That ignorance stems from having no spiritual understanding of scripture, which is evidence of a fake Christian, a tare or somebody trolling. Trolls love throwing the Darby lie out there, despite it being discredited so thoroughly. The best you can say is such people are your ignornant-blind, fake Christians, John 16:13, the worst you can say is they're a tare or trolling. In any case, yes, an idiot, just junking-up threads in forums, a wholly unreliable, ignorant person not worth reading, and not worth discussing anything with, Proverbs 26:4, 1 Timothy 6:5.

Anybody can Google such as this, researched by a long line of scholars. Anybody could and would Google the truth, except for a liar or an idiot, that is, a liar and an idiot, as most all idiots are liars. There are too many people here just trolling, who really don't have a clue as to the truth.

150BC - 70AD Rapture Mentioned in the Dead Sea Scrolls

In this article Dr. William Harold, professor of Canon Law, at the Theological Seminary of Essex, GB wrote:

"Without doubt, this is the most important discovery in the history of Biblical archeology. The scroll, written in Aramaic, the language spoken in the Holy Land during Jesus time on earth, was found in a cave on the shores of the Dead Sea by geologists conducting a survey for the Israeli government."

The scrolls read:

"The Rapture will occur suddenly. And countless thousands will vanish from the earth. Swept up to heaven to live with Jesus and escape the torment of the Tribulation, the others will be left behind." — The Dead Sea Scrolls

Many others believed and taught this long before John Darby

95-150 AD, the Rapture idea was preached by the Shepherd of Hermas.

"You have escaped from great tribulation on account of your faith, and because you did not doubt in the presence of such a beast. Go, therefore, and tell the elect of the Lord His mighty deeds, and say to them that this beast is a type of the great tribulation that is coming. If then ye prepare yourselves, and repent with all your heart, and turn to the Lord, it will be possible for you to escape it, if your heart be pure and spotless, and ye spend the rest of the days of your life in serving the Lord blamelessly." (documented by Larry V. Crutchfield)

270-303 AD, Victorinus, the Bishop of Pettau, a Catholic ecclesiastical writer preached it.

Victorinus said he saw another great and wonderful sign in his commentary on Book of Revelation in AD 270:

"Seven angels having the last seven plagues, for in them is completed the indignation of God. And these shall be in the last times when the church shall have gone out of the midst."

No doubt about it, St. Victorinus proclaimed the pretrib Rapture.

306-373 AD Ephraem the Syrian. One of the most important evidences for rapture is an apocalyptic sermon from the 4th century titled "Sermon on the End of the World". It is credited to Ephraem the Syrian, a Syriac deacon, theologian, and hymnographer of the 4th century who wrote many biblical commentaries. Some suggest it may not have been written until a later date of 565-627 A.D. The exact date doesn't matter. Even if it were as late as the 7th century, it is still 1100 years prior to John Darby. Ephraem wrote:

"Why therefore do we not reject every care of earthly actions and prepare ourselves for the meeting of the Lord Christ, so that he may draw us from the confusion, which overwhelms all the world? Believe you me, dearest brother, because the coming (advent) of the Lord is nigh, believe you me, because the end of the world is at hand, believe me, because it is the very last time. Or do you not believe unless you see with your eyes? See to it that this sentence be not fulfilled among you of the prophet who declares: "Woe to those who desire to see the day of the Lord!" For all the saints and elect of God are gathered, prior to the tribulation that is to come, and are taken to the Lord lest they see the confusion that is to overwhelm the world because of our sins."

400 AD, Jerome in the Latin vulgate (in the Catholic Bible) used the word rapimur which means "rapture", or "caught up" to describe the Rapture. Jerome is actually the man who first coined the term – Rapture.

Why has the Pre-Tribulation doctrine emerged so prominently over the past 200 years?

The Bible, prior to 200 years ago, was kept out of the hands of the common people. It was locked in museums and monasteries for 1000 years during the Dark Ages. It wasn't until the Bible was translated into the common people's language and that then the hope (the Blessed Hope – the Rapture) of the pre-millennial return of Christ was once again established in the Church. When the Scriptures were available to everybody the ancient truth of the Rapture – before the Tribulation period – was again discovered.

Pre-Tribulation Rapture beginning around the end of the Dark Ages.

1304 AD, Reverend Dolcino

Francis X. Gumerlock believes that Brother Dolcino and the Apostolic Brethren taught pretribulationism documented by the following statement:

"Again, [Dolcino believed and preached and taught] that within those three years Dolcino himself and his followers will preach the coming of the antichrist. And that the antichrist was coming into this world within the bounds of the said three and a half years; and after he had come, then he [Dolcino] and his followers would be transferred into Paradise, in which are Enoch and Elijah. And in this way they will be preserved unharmed from the persecution of antichrist. And that then Enoch and Elijah themselves would descend on the earth for the purpose of preaching [against] antichrist. Then they would be killed by him or by his servants, and thus antichrist would reign for a long time. But when the antichrist is dead, Dolcino himself, who then would be the holy pope, and his preserved followers, will descend on the earth, and will preach the right faith of Christ to all, and will convert those who will be living then to the true faith of Jesus Christ."

1400 AD, Bible translations in the native tongues led to a new propagation of the Pre-trib Rapture.

1627 AD, Joseph Mede, a literalist, used the word "rapture."

1639-1723 AD Increase Mather pastor, scholar, and the first President of Harvard College. Paul Boyer has noted that this Puritan scholar proved "that the saints would be caught up into the air beforehand, thereby escaping the final conflagration." This teaching from Mather was an early formulation of the rapture doctrine.

1687 AD, Peter Jurieu; in his book Approaching Deliverance of the Church (1687) taught that Christ would come in the air to rapture the saints and return to heaven before the battle of Armageddon. He spoke of a secret Rapture prior to His coming in glory and judgment at Armageddon.

1700 AD, John Asgill, who wrote a book in 1700 about the possibility of translation (i.e. rapture) without seeing death.

1738 AD, Philip Doddridge

Philip Doddridge's commentary on theNew Testament (1738) and John Gill's commentary on the New Testament (1748) both use the term "rapture" and speak of it as imminent. It is clear that these men believed that this coming will precede Christ's descent to the earth and the time of judgment. The purpose was to preserve believers from the time of judgment.

1748 AD, John Gill

Dr. John Gill was one of the most brilliant scholars of his day. This Calvinist Baptist theologian wrote a full commentary set on the Bible in 1748. In this commentary he made a statement in his notes on 1 Thessalonians 4 that supported a time difference between the rapture of the saints and the coming of Christ to earth. He said:

....here Christ will stop and will be visible to all, and as easily discerned by all, good and bad, as the body of the sun at noon-day; as yet He will not descend on earth, because it is not fit to receive Him; but when that and its works are burnt up, and it is purged and purified by fire, and become a new earth, He'll descend upon it, and dwell with his saints in it: and this suggests another reason why He'll stay in the air, and His saints shall meet Him there, and whom He'll take up with Him into the third heaven, till the general conflagration and burning of the world is over, and to preserve them from it....

1763 AD, James McKnight

1744 AD, Morgan Edwards The clearest reference to a pretrib rapture before Darby comes from American Baptist pastor, educator and historian, Morgan Edwards. He is also founder of the Ivy League school, Brown University. Edwards saw a distinct rapture 3 1/2 years before the start of the millennium. Edward wrote about his pretrib beliefs as a student in 1744 and then later published them in 1788 in an essay titled, Two Academical Exercises on Subjects Bearing the following Titles; Millennium, Last-Novelties. His pro-Rapture stance is impossible to dismiss. He taught the following:

II. The distance between the first and second resurrection will be somewhat more than a thousand years.

I say, somewhat more-, because the dead saints will be raised, and the living changed at Christ's "appearing in the air" (Thess. 4:17); and this will be about three years and a half before the millennium, as we shall see hereafter: but will he and they abide in the air all that time? No: they will ascend to paradise, or to some one of those many "mansions in the father's house" (John 14:2), and disappear during the fore said period of time. The design of this retreat and disappearing will be to judge the risen and changed saints; for "now the time is come that judgment must begin," and that will be "at the house of God" (IPet. iv. 17) . . . (p. 7; The spelling of all Edwards quotes have been modernized.)

Thomas Ice further explains:

"Edwards clearly separates the rapture from the second coming by three and a half years. He uses modern pretrib rapture verses (1 Thess. 4:17 and John 14:2) to describe the rapture."

1792 AD, Thomas Scott
James MacKnight (1763) and Thomas Scott (1792) taught that the righteous will be carried to heaven, where they will be secure until the time of judgment is over.

And then in 1830 AD, John Darby enters the picture. Without question, John Darby was not the originator of the Rapture doctrine.

There is also a substantial list of Church Fathers' writings of great antiquity, going to a pre-tribulation rapture situation, teaching the doctrine of Christ's imminency, then judgment, etc.

I merely wish all the liars on the web would come up with better lies, the false Darby claim one of the very dumbest trolling points there is. You'd think even a troll would find that one embarrassing. It's simply difficult to conceive what sort of mentality would want to be associated with the likes of any thoroughly discredited, Neanderthal and flat-earth argument.

Last edited:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Noah was a preacher of righteousness (2 Pe 2:5). :scripto: You're not? Jud 4
rollface.gif
Don't think you'll be going in the rapture
elvis.gif
greasy gracer (Lk 17:26). :rapture:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
There is no 'rapture', there is only 'perseverance of the saints'.

Take a big step back, and reread the scriptures.

Before the 17th century there was no concept of a rapture. You see only what you want to see, and you have the nerve to bend theologians' words. But this is what they saw, and only this:

Revelation 2:10
Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

God would not leave behind any man willing, and you put yourself on a pedestal above such?
:nono:

Last edited: