On Rape

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Which, as usual, into self, had nothing to do with what I said. :chuckle:

Many flat out refuse to consider any facts.

I know why it's going in this direction..... they don't want to address all the facts.

It's because liberals think when they present the worse case scenarios and elaborate on the details, people will forget about the original premise....which is that there ARE cases where the rape victim must share in the fault of their rape. Not most victims....but some victims. It's akin to the old mantra that rich people are evil and cops are bad....say it enough and people start repeating it like puppets.

You're close to being back on the list

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Yep :)

Ok Doser really seems to be claiming that victims of crime are part of the material cause of the crime - which no one would argue against. They are indeed being acted upon by a criminal - therefore part of the material cause. Just as a block of marble was one of the material causes of Michelangelo's David.

To call this "responsibility" is just plain incorrect.

have you stood by watching as the crime rate has soared without acting against it?

glorydaz

then you'll love this one:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75319&highlight=black

can't believe how many people couldn't get past the wording of the thread title and never got around to discussing the subject matter

What's that called when certain words illicit certain canned responses or reactions? Say the word "black" and people start looking for the racist. He's behind every door and underneath every sentence....waiting to jump out like a boogyman.

glorydaz

I got drawn in a bit, and I'm not a liberal!

Very poorly done overall. Didn't learn a thing in this liberal sociology class.

Usually don't.
Maybe this will be like one of those books you almost put down many times, but end up being glad you didn't when you reach the end. A surprise ending? :think:

glorydaz

He seems to be mixing up culpability with mere existence.

Yes, the victim had to exist (in a specific time and place) in order to become a victim of any particular crime.

Yet there is no coherent link to culpability there. At all.

I agree if you're talking about how we all are responsible for the culture we live in. I think that is giving people a power they do not have....the power to stop all evil.

ClimateSanity

I didn't watch those crimes, did you?

Did you ever stop to consider what made those crimes more likely to occur now than in the past. Step one. Did you ever think of any ways in which you could change the culture that caused the increase? Step two. Did you ever take any conscious action based on what you knew you could do? Step three.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

welcome back my silly little emotionally unbalanced friend :wave2:

are you up to answering this one yet?

a father allows his children to be babysat by a known pedophile.

The children are molested.

is the pedophile responsible for his actions?

of course

does the father bear any responsibility for putting the children at risk?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In such a wide sense as to be meaningless.
Fair enough.

Someone steals your credit card number online. It's your fault for having a credit card!

Someone breaks into my house while I'm at work. It's my fault because it couldn't happen unless I had a house!

Nancy Kerigan was asking for her leg to get bludgeoned. She had some nerve being good at ice skating. Her fault!
Attitudes like the ones you mention are the same as the old excuses we used to hear about women getting raped ------ it's her fault for dressing the way she did. blah blah blah.

You should be able to leave your credit card lying around anywhere, and if anyone takes it, they STOLE it.
Doesn't matter where you left it, it belongs to you.
They only one that did anything WRONG is the one that stole it.

But here's the deal .....
People are going to steal your credit card.
And because we have been so soft on crime, there are more people that will take the risk of stealing your card.
Why?
Because there is less to be wary of in terms of being punished.

If we punished criminals harder than what we are doing now, less people would take the risk.

I have seen this great change in just my lifetime.
I was raised in a time when we did not even lock our windows and doors at night while we slept.
There is no way I would do that today.

glorydaz

maybe we get the society we allow, and those of us who have allowed it to come to this bear primary responsibility

This evil world cannot be rehabilitated, and goes on it's way whether we "allow" it to or not.

Galatians 1:4
Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:​

glorydaz

Maybe I confused you saying that women who are provocatively dressed are causing it. Date rape is a different level from violent rape

You didn't confuse me. You started out confused and you've stayed confused and now you're trying to project your confusion onto me. Not even a good try, Into Self. :chuckle:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
A misunderstanding? Is that what that was? I call it a dog pile.

Yes, people should be able to make a broad provocative statement and not have to deal with a bunch of whining liberals getting all offended. I've found it a very interesting thread in many ways. One of which is watching people over react. :think:

A dog pile? Hardly. :chuckle:

Now see, if sod was a liberal, you'd be telling him to man up. He doesn't need babying.