On Deservedness

Status
Not open for further replies.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
No, you don't have to, but if you jump out of that tall tree you might get more than you bargained for.

well, when i do and you visit me in the hospital, you better pat my back and tell me it wasn't my fault, or i'll tell everybody you're hard-hearted

musterion

The principal of sowing/reaping could be argued to entail deservedness of whatever happens to results from one's choices, good OR bad.

The biggest point of contention would likely be, when it comes to bad, where does deserve start? Why do people in some situations deserve what comes upon them as a result of their poor choices...while other, equally poor choosers do not deserve what happens?

Put another way: if people who make good choices deserve the good that comes, by what logic do people who make bad choices not deserve the bad that comes?

Put yet another way: why should the universal law of natural consequences - which does exist - apply only in select situations but not in others? And who has the authority to determine which is which?

Just asking for the sake of conversation, since this general topic is now going in a direction not necessarily limited to sexual assaults.

musterion

1. Does a homosexual who chooses to ignore warnings and advice about the risks of engaging in unprotected sex with multiple partners deserve to get AIDS?

We can disagree about what it was, but the Apostle Paul did warn of homosexuals "receiving in themselves that recompence [earned reward, retribution] of their error which was meet [necessary, inevitable, due]."

Some translations have said deserve here, but I'm not sure that that's warranted. Or is it? Does Paul's invoking an inevitable, earned reward or retribution imply deservedness? Appears to me that it does.

glorydaz

The principal of sowing/reaping could be argued to entail deservedness of whatever happens to results from one's choices, good OR bad.

The biggest point of contention would likely be, when it comes to bad, where does deserve start? Why do people in some situations deserve what comes upon them as a result of their poor choices...while other, equally poor choosers do not deserve what happens?

Put another way: if people who make good choices deserve the good that comes, by what logic do people who make bad choices not deserve the bad that comes?

Put yet another way: why should the universal law of natural consequences - which does exist - apply only in select situations but not in others? And who has the authority to determine which is which?

Just asking for the sake of conversation, since this general topic is now going in a direction not necessarily limited to sexual assaults.

Well, we know that blessings like rain fall on the just and the unjust alike, but that in no way limits God in His workings. Just as the kindness and goodness of God leads us to turn to Him to begin with, His allowance of those natural consequences can also cause us to turn to Him. It's why we see so many instances where people are brought so low that they turn to God. It's why some have to go through more than others before they get desperate enough to reach out to HIM.

As Ezra 9:13 tells us "God has punished us less than our iniquities deserve". If He didn't, we would cease to exist in short order.

I think we can actually interfere with God's will for people....a sort of amateur providence...when we step in with "good intentions" and spare people from the very lesson God would have them learn.

glorydaz

We can disagree about what it was, but the Apostle Paul did warn of homosexuals "receiving in themselves that recompence [earned reward, retribution] of their error which was meet [necessary, inevitable, due]."

Some translations have said deserve here, but I'm not sure that that's warranted. Or is it? Does Paul's invoking an inevitable, earned reward or retribution imply deservedness? Appears to me that it does.

Yep....just deserts.

musterion

Who decides that but God?

I know what I deserve but cannot know what another may or may not deserve.

I don't think "deserve" and "due" are the same thing.

My rent is due but my landlord doesn't deserve it. It's his due.

The simple point I'm making (and have been trying to make) is, actions have consequences. We teach children that from the earliest ages: good and wise choices tend to eventuate in desirable results; foolish or bad choices tend toward pain and calamity. A modern way of saying it (which I happen to like) is, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes." It's the biblical principal of reaping whatever it is you chose to sow.

Charlie Sheen, for example. Does he 'deserve' AIDS? Using the d-word entails making some level of judgment call, but if he chose to engage in behaviors which he surely knew could eventuate in this very bad result, then he has received in himself the due [earned] recompense [result, reward] of his error. The parallel to the ongoing controversy on TOL draws itself.

Arthur Brain

Justice....Wrong and Right.....no need to wait to address those. It's a matter of just deserts, but even those words will offend people when you talk about certain things. Most will agree that people who engage in homosexual acts and get AIDS get their just deserts....the thing that results from that behavior.

Eh? Where the hell do you get that idea from?! I think you'll find it's the exact opposite GD, that most people don't in fact think any such thing.

:AMR:

glorydaz

Justice....Wrong and Right.....no need to wait to address those. It's a matter of just deserts, but even those words will offend people when you talk about certain things. Most will agree that people who engage in homosexual acts and get AIDS get their just deserts....the thing that results from that behavior.

Eh? Where the hell do you get that idea from?! I think you'll find it's the exact opposite GD, that most people don't in fact think any such thing.

:AMR:

Yeah, you got me there, Artie. I take my data from the good old days, when the moral majority was the majority. Now the immoral are the majority. And they are even having an effect on the old "moral majority". Which is why it should surprise none of us that good is being called evil and evil is being called good.

glorydaz

The simple point I'm making (and have been trying to make) is, actions have consequences. We teach children that from the earliest ages: good and wise choices tend to eventuate in desirable results; foolish or bad choices tend toward pain and calamity. A modern way of saying it (which I happen to like) is, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes." It's the biblical principal of reaping whatever it is you chose to sow.

The parallel to the ongoing controversy on TOL draws itself.

You know why this thread didn't take off? Too much common sense, and it does not fit in with the PC police women. ;)

Arthur Brain

Yeah, you got me there, Artie. I take my data from the good old days, when the moral majority was the majority. Now the immoral are the majority. And they are even having an effect on the old "moral majority". Which is why it should surprise none of us that good is being called evil and evil is being called good.

Where'd ya get that data from, an abacus?

:freak:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
de·serve
dəˈzərv/
verb
do something or have or show qualities worthy of (reward or punishment).
1. Does a homosexual who chooses to ignore warnings and advice about the risks of engaging in unprotected sex with multiple partners deserve to get AIDS?
No

2. Does a driver who chooses to ignore warnings and advice about the risks of drunk driving deserve to get a DWI?
Yes
2a. Does he deserve it if he crashes his car?
No

3. Does a pedophile who ignores warnings and advice about the risks of molesting children deserve to get caught and punished?
Yes

truthjourney

Yeah I think we all know how you feel about it doser. According to you women choose to be raped and that if they are raped then they asked for it and deserved it. You just keep repeating yourself over and over. Now it's just redundancy. :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.