On Deservedness

Status
Not open for further replies.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
1. Does a homosexual who chooses to ignore warnings and advice about the risks of engaging in unprotected sex with multiple partners deserve to get AIDS?

2. Does a driver who chooses to ignore warnings and advice about the risks of drunk driving deserve to get a DWI?
2a. Does he deserve it if he crashes his car?

3. Does a pedophile who ignores warnings and advice about the risks of molesting children deserve to get caught and punished?

mostly from here:
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4527198&postcount=1024
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4527206&postcount=1026
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4527222&postcount=1030
All things are "deserved."

But illness and despair are NOT how God works in the world.
The concept of a punishing, jealous God of justice is but a holdover from ancient ideas about God speaking to humankind with earthquakes, floods, storms, diseases and just plain bad luck.

We are all deserving of God's grace. Jesus tells us that all one has to do is knock on the door and it will open. After that, we all have our God-given free will to deal with whatever comes up, trusting in God to reveal all to us.

We are now called as Christians to pick up the cross and follow Jesus.

Jesus saw a God who sun to shine on both the evil and the good and sendeth rain to fall on the righteous as well as the unrighteous."

God treats all of us equally. He plays no favorites, yet he is always available to those who need him.

He comes to us as One unknown, without a name, as of old, by the lakeside...

He came to those men who knew Him not. He speaks to us the same words: "Follow thou me!" and sets us to the tasks which He has to fulfill for our time. He commands.

And to those who obey Him, whether they be wise or simple, He will reveal himself in the toils, the conflicts, the sufferings which they shall pass through in His fellowship, and, as an ineffable mystery, they shall learn in their own experience Who He is.

― Albert Schweitzer, Quest of the Historical Jesus

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
man, we're going off in all kindsa different directions on this one

here's the form from the OP:

does a person who chooses to ignore the warnings and advice of risky behavior deserve the consequences that come from engaging in that behavior?

Quetzal

does a person who chooses to ignore the warnings and advice of risky behavior deserve the consequences that come from engaging in that behavior?
Depends on the behavior and the consequences.

ok doser

what determines whether a behavior deserves consequences?

what determines whether a consequence is deserved?

glorydaz

Seems some people only think Biblical truths pertain to the afterlife, doesn't it"?
They each have a different opinion, because they don't have ONE idea of what is right and what is wrong. :think:

Justice....Wrong and Right.....no need to wait to address those. It's a matter of just deserts, but even those words will offend people when you talk about certain things. Most will agree that people who engage in homosexual acts and get AIDS get their just deserts....the thing that results from that behavior. Same with drinking and driving ie a ticket or a wreck. The only thing a pedophile deserves is incarceration or death, since they won't suffer anything unless they get caught first (by the law or the dad).

Just deserts are natural consequences for the behavior being engaged in. It's like the law of gravity. You may not see it, but it's there.

ok doser

whatchoo crazy talking ABOUT? :noway:

i have to obey the law of gravity?

that's not faiiiiirrrrrrr!!!!!!!!! :baby:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Seems some people only think Biblical truths pertain to the afterlife, doesn't it"?
They each have a different opinion, because they don't have ONE idea of what is right and what is wrong. :think:

Justice....Wrong and Right.....no need to wait to address those. It's a matter of just deserts, but even those words will offend people when you talk about certain things. Most will agree that people who engage in homosexual acts and get AIDS get their just deserts....the thing that results from that behavior. Same with drinking and driving ie a ticket or a wreck. The only thing a pedophile deserves is incarceration or death, since they won't suffer anything unless they get caught first (by the law or the dad).

Just deserts are natural consequences for the behavior being engaged in. It's like the law of gravity. You may not see it, but it's there.

What a joke, that made no sense. :duh: You just seem to try sticking a dig in with every post, it's annoying.

glorydaz

what determines whether a behavior deserves consequences?

what determines whether a consequence is deserved?

Heck, I knew the answer to that back before I became a Christian. It's simply that God-given conscience all of us were born with, and it's why all men are without excuse. I knew when I did something wrong, and I knew I deserved whatever I got if I got caught. I considered myself lucky when I got off lightly or no one found out.

Status
Not open for further replies.