No More Cussing

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I don't cuss in my everyday speech and when I do I am not usually cussing at other people. However, I do cuss people out occasionally after a long period of letting things build up for accumulated frustration, perceived slights and perceived disrespect. I feel better at the moment but later I don't feel good about it. I think I do it to try to make the other person feel as angry as I feel at that moment.

I wondered how far back cussing goes and it seems to date back at least to Roman times. I grew up in household with frequent use of profanity and learned all the words at a young age. School taught me also, I got pretty good at cussing. The Bible talks quite a bit about it in the New Testament.

From Wikipedia - Swearing performs certain psychological functions, and uses particular linguistic and neurological mechanisms; all these are avenues of research. Functionally similar behavior can be observed in chimpanzees, and may contribute to our understanding, notes New York Times author Natalie Angier.[15] Angier also notes that swearing is a widespread but perhaps underappreciated anger management technique; that "Men generally curse more than women, unless said women are in a sorority, and that university provosts swear more than librarians or the staff members of the university day care center".[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProfanityFrom the Bible - Ephesians 4:29 KJV - 29 [FONT=&quot]Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]James 3:8-12 KJV - 8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Made me smile. Sort of like getting caught at something and immediately checking into rehab in hopes the sentence will be less harsh. ;)

Ever notice that grammatically correct sentences still read correct when profanity is removed? Profanity just does not add much to the conversation, other than one's own frustrations. Took me some time after the military to remove the practice.

AMR

john w

Hall of Fame
I don't cuss in my everyday speech and when I do I am not usually cussing at other people. However, I do cuss people out occasionally after a long period of letting things build up for accumulated frustration, perceived slights and perceived disrespect. I feel better at the moment but later I don't feel good about it. I think I do it to try to make the other person feel as angry as I feel at that moment.

I wondered how far back cussing goes and it seems to date back at least to Roman times. I grew up in household with frequent use of profanity and learned all the words at a young age. School taught me also, I got pretty good at cussing. The Bible talks quite a bit about it in the New Testament.

From Wikipedia - Swearing performs certain psychological functions, and uses particular linguistic and neurological mechanisms; all these are avenues of research. Functionally similar behavior can be observed in chimpanzees, and may contribute to our understanding, notes New York Times author Natalie Angier.[15] Angier also notes that swearing is a widespread but perhaps underappreciated anger management technique; that "Men generally curse more than women, unless said women are in a sorority, and that university provosts swear more than librarians or the staff members of the university day care center".[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProfanityFrom the Bible - Ephesians 4:29 KJV - 29 [FONT="]Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT="]James 3:8-12 KJV - 8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.[/FONT]

[FONT="][FONT=Arial][B]9 [/B][/FONT]Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT="]10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.[/FONT]

[FONT="][FONT=Arial][B]11 [/B][/FONT]Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT="]12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.[/FONT]

[FONT="]

[/FONT]
I think it started on "The Andy Griffith Show," when Barn get mad at Ernest T. Bass.

glorydaz

Made me smile. Sort of like getting caught at something and immediately checking into rehab in hopes the sentence will be less harsh. ;)

Ever notice that grammatically correct sentences still read correct when profanity is removed? Profanity just does not add much to the conversation, other than one's own frustrations. Took me some time after the military to remove the practice.

AMR

Yeah, the sentence remains the same, but it just doesn't carry the same "oomph". ;)

Derf

Cussing wasn't tolerated in our house growing up. I remember the first time, and I think the only time, I heard my Dad say the word "d**n"; it was when he was telling me a joke. I still remember the joke, too.

But I also remember meeting a young man when I was in college, who had recently become a christian. He confessed to me that he had a hard time changing his vocabulary. The cuss words were a part of him, it seems, and the habit was hard to break, though he recognized he shouldn't be using those words.

Paul seems to agree: But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner--not even to eat with such a person. [1Co 5:11 NKJV]

Using a cuss word now and then probably doesn't amount to "reviling". It can build from generation to generation, I believe, such that those whose parents cussed a little will cuss a lot themselves, and will be cussed at by their offspring. I cringe a bit when I hear pastors (or hear of pastors) who cuss from the pulpit. Some do it to make their listeners comfortable--to make them feel like they can be normal in church. Some do it to remind their congregants that there are more important things to focus on than eliminating cussing.

My brother-in-law was quite happy that his pastor fell in the first category. My brother-in-law also had a hard time staying out of prison. :think:

While I don't think we should try to make people feel uncomfortable in church, We shouldn't try too hard to keep them from feeling uncomfortable if God is behind it. Prophesying God's word will convict them of sin--unless we make them (and us?) so comfortable that they don't feel any need to repent.

I guess a good thing to consider is whether we would want to use those words in prayer to God. I agree with AMR: it's pretty rare that the omission of cuss words changes anything in the sentence except shock factor. And continuous use of such language actually decreases the shock factor, leading to more and harsher terms being needed.

Our pastor this last Sunday pointed out that "As the Lord lives" was a swear "phrase" used numerous times in the Old Testament. It was used for emphasis, to strengthen the intentions in the mind of the hearer, to vow. It was ok to use it, as long as you kept your vow, but not keeping your vow was breaking the second commandment--"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain".

I think even "omg" is way overused today, people usually think nothing of it, sadly.

glorydaz

During my early formative years, I was raised by my grandma and grandpa. Grandma had a list of cuss words she would reel off when she got really upset (I always blamed her Cherokee blood). I didn't cuss, myself, as it was not allowed, but after I was grown up, I surprised myself, one day, when I reeled of the exact same list of cuss words. Even worse, it was after I was saved. My grandma had passed away by then, and I immediately thought, 'Grandma, where did you come from?' ;)

Long story short, it seemed the harder I tried to stop using the "list", the more I did it. It just came bursting out during any time of frustration. I felt guilty, and thought of Romans 7, about doing what I didn't want to do. Then this came.... Romans 7:8 "But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead."

The whole idea of "forbidden fruit" became real to me. Sin takes advantage of, actually uses, the law, to make sin more powerful than it is. Sin gets it's power from the law, itself. And without the law, sin was, indeed, dead.

It was when I realized that, that I was freed from the bondage those cuss words had over me. If they did pop out of my mouth, I laughed instead of felt guilty. It wasn't long before they just flat stopped popping out of my mouth.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

AMR
Got caught? Well that was guaranteed when I sent them and I didn't start this thread in hopes of lessening the sentence. I don't like it when I get angry and do that. I did it to Danoh and Town for acting like everybody is stupid around here. I'm only as obsessed with Trump as much as they and others are here. Glad I could bring a smile to you. :)

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't start this thread in hopes of lessening the sentence...Glad I could bring a smile to you. :)
I know that. Just thought the whole affair reminded me of frequent reports in the news.

Next time, try this:

Wiffenpoofle! {pron: wiff-in-poo-fill}

That is the only exasperation term I try to use. I made it up. So I guess it is my very own "cuss" word.

AMR

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Matthew 15:18 KJV - But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

Lon

Cussing wasn't tolerated in our house growing up.
Spoiler
I remember the first time, and I think the only time, I heard my Dad say the word "d**n"; it was when he was telling me a joke. I still remember the joke, too.

But I also remember meeting a young man when I was in college, who had recently become a christian. He confessed to me that he had a hard time changing his vocabulary. The cuss words were a part of him, it seems, and the habit was hard to break, though he recognized he shouldn't be using those words.

Paul seems to agree: But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner--not even to eat with such a person. [1Co 5:11 NKJV]

Using a cuss word now and then probably doesn't amount to "reviling". It can build from generation to generation, I believe, such that those whose parents cussed a little will cuss a lot themselves, and will be cussed at by their offspring. I cringe a bit when I hear pastors (or hear of pastors) who cuss from the pulpit. Some do it to make their listeners comfortable--to make them feel like they can be normal in church. Some do it to remind their congregants that there are more important things to focus on than eliminating cussing.

My brother-in-law was quite happy that his pastor fell in the first category. My brother-in-law also had a hard time staying out of prison. :think:

While I don't think we should try to make people feel uncomfortable in church, We shouldn't try too hard to keep them from feeling uncomfortable if God is behind it. Prophesying God's word will convict them of sin--unless we make them (and us?) so comfortable that they don't feel any need to repent.

I guess a good thing to consider is whether we would want to use those words in prayer to God. I agree with AMR: it's pretty rare that the omission of cuss words changes anything in the sentence except shock factor. And continuous use of such language actually decreases the shock factor, leading to more and harsher terms being needed.
Spoiler

Our pastor this last Sunday pointed out that "As the Lord lives" was a swear "phrase" used numerous times in the Old Testament. It was used for emphasis, to strengthen the intentions in the mind of the hearer, to vow. It was ok to use it, as long as you kept your vow, but not keeping your vow was breaking the second commandment--"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain".

I think even "omg" is way overused today, people usually think nothing of it, sadly.

Ephesians 4:29,5:4 Colossians 4:6 Most of the time I hear cussing, it is not at someone, but something or some circumstance. A lot of chrisitans around me are troubled by their own tongue. James tells us the tongue is hard to tame. James 3:1-3,8

I've had other friend who wished they'd stayed celibate before marriage as well. My reply is this: Though I don't cuss, and waited until marriage, I sometimes would rather have done something less benign than to see the hurt on my child or wife's face for an ill-deserved harsh word. My words have crushed and while I hate cussing, I'd rather have had that be my crime than words spoken to another in inappropriate anger. We all regret sins, and this is good. If we can avoid the ones that do the more damage, I think we do well. Watch your tongue, but watch against the things that hurt other people and keep them as a concern. We are called to love God, and love man. While I don't want to hurt God, He is certainly hurt when I hurt one of His own. We just all need to be better lovers and be shooting for that. 1 Peter 4:8