NFL National Football League College FB Thread

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
There isn't the activity on TOL anymore to sustain a new NFL thread for each season like there used to be, and definitely not a thread on college football.

Until and unless that changes this thread will serve as the active current football thread here at TOL. If you have any thoughts on football post it here. College football is basically the NFL's 'farm system'.

This is just a stopgap.

(Nothing is really off topic in this thread since basically everything connects back to football in some way.)

Idolater

2022 NFL Season

Is Mr. Tom Brady really going to stay retired? I've heard rumors to the contrary. Particularly I've heard through the 'grape vine' that maybe he'll quarterback San Francisco.

I don't know what happened to KC last season. They basically fell apart. I didn't 'see that coming'. I 'bought into' the 'hype' that the Chiefs were going on an extended period of dominance, like Brady's Patriots did at different distinct times.

Brady by the way, shouldn't just be a 'unanimous first ballot' into the Hall of Fame. They should rename the Hall of Fame after him. The Mr. Brady NFL Hall of Fame, or something like that.

'Glad to see McVay and Stafford get their ring, all things considered (viz. that Brady's Bucs had already lost). Speaking of the Bucs losing, I really don't know how you could run a defensive play where you let Cooper Kupp be open, like ever in that game, but let alone twice, and one of them on the final drive! Don't you, if you're a defense, let literally everybody else go free instead of Kupp?

"Serenity now!"

Sigh.

lol.

Idolater

2022 NFL Season

Is Mr. Tom Brady really going to stay retired? I've heard rumors to the contrary. Particularly I've heard through the 'grape vine' that maybe he'll quarterback San Francisco.
Now the word is Mr. Brady may become QB of the Dolphins, along with a part owner.

@Town Heretic and @Nick M and I argued about Mr. Brady a lot in the threads NFL 2016, NFL 2017, NFL 2018, it was a very long multi year conversation between the three of us. I'm a "homer" but I can't help where I was born, and it certainly shouldn't be held against me.

Now that Mr. Brady's tied Mr. Otto Graham for most championship game appearances (10) and most championships (7), our conversation has been ended by Mr. Brady himself, who wasn't participating in the threads, but was continuing to participate on the actual "gridiron" all along.

The loss to Philly was the worst championship loss for Mr. Brady and the Pats in my opinion, worse than the 18-1 loss to NYG. It's because the reason why the team lost in the NFL 2007 season was due to physical football mistakes made on the football field.

But the loss to Philly was caused by two factors, one was that Mr. Brady missed a pass----not throwing a pass, but receiving one. If he had caught that pass, then the Pats would have won that game, that is 100% true, and you can check my 'credentials' on making such a prediction in the NFL season threads mentioned above. I know the game, and that game, would have ended differently had Mr. Brady caught that pass.

So that's also a football mistake on the football field. But the other reason Philly beat NE in that game was because NE's defense STUNK. They were AWFUL.

And that also sounds like just another football mistake on the football field, except that we do know why the NE defense stunk so much that game. It was because of one man. It was because of Mr. Malcom Butler. And Mr. Butler was not on the football field that game, just like team coach Mr. Bill Belichick, who also wasn't on the field, but Mr. Belichick for whatever reason neglected his duty as the team's coach, and did not put the best team of players on the field for the defense that game. He "sat" a basically perfectly healthy (in the NFL 'perfectly healthy' certainly does not mean the complete absence of 'bumps and bruises') Mr. Butler.

The other salient bit of information in this game was that Mr. Brady played one of the best championship games that's ever been played in this game as quarterback, it was even better than his historic game against Atlanta, when the Pats "came back" from a 28-to-3 point deficit, and that game was already one of the best all time performances in any football game, championship or otherwise, for a quarterback.

He should have SMOKED Philly in that game, but NE's defense STUNK. Because of Mr. Belichick. Sitting Mr. Butler.

Back then, we couldn't tell whether this was a "Beatles" situation between "Paul" and "John", or whether Mr. Brady was largely responsible for the Patriots' six championship trophies over his time here, or whether it was Mr. Belichick. But now we know it was Mr. Brady all along.

Last edited:

Idolater

... Is Mr. Tom Brady really going to stay retired? ...
AP now says, "No." Back to TB. He'll be 45 this time, which is the age he first said he wanted to be playing at, all those years ago, back when he was like 40.

And in other 'elite' NFL QB news:

Idolater

You have to imagine I think the meetings between Pats owner Mr. Bob Kraft, and Pats head coach Mr. Bill Belichick during negotiations during and after the 2019 NFL season.

These were 'closed door' meetings of course, we can only speculate.

But someone somewhere must have recognized a goose laying golden eggs!

Now if you have one of these geese, that lays golden eggs, what do you do with such a creature?

You surely don't just let it go.

Only thing I can think of is that Mr. Belichick persuaded Mr. Kraft that Mr. Belichick was the goose! "I'm the one laying the golden eggs, Bob," he must have said. And Mr. Kraft ultimately capitulated. "OK Bill, I believe you, now go out and lay me some more golden eggs!"

And then Mr. Brady went down to Tampa and in the 2020 NFL season, laid another golden egg . . . .

Mr. Kraft:
873026609acf2c9371f20b8f8b7e9f91_w200.gif

Idolater

You have to imagine I think the meetings between Pats owner Mr. Bob Kraft, and Pats head coach Mr. Bill Belichick during negotiations during and after the 2019 NFL season.

These were 'closed door' meetings of course, we can only speculate.

But someone somewhere must have recognized a goose laying golden eggs!

Now if you have one of these geese, that lays golden eggs, what do you do with such a creature?

You surely don't just let it go.

Only thing I can think of is that Mr. Belichick persuaded Mr. Kraft that Mr. Belichick was the goose! "I'm the one laying the golden eggs, Bob," he must have said. And Mr. Kraft ultimately capitulated. "OK Bill, I believe you, now go out and lay me some more golden eggs!"

And then Mr. Brady went down to Tampa and in the 2020 NFL season, laid another golden egg . . . .

Mr. Kraft:
873026609acf2c9371f20b8f8b7e9f91_w200.gif
Nothing's really changed here. The Patriots might qualify for the tournament, they might not, but Mr. Brady's team has already qualified, even though TB might end the year with a losing record.

To win a Super Bowl, your team has to win at least three big games in a row.

Joe Montana won at least three big games in a row four times. Peyton Manning did it twice. Aaron Rodgers did it once. Brady's done it seven times.

To get to a Super Bowl your team has to win at least two big games in a row. Brady's teams have done that ten times.

Every NFL playoff game is a big game because of single-elimination. Winning one big game is an accomplishment. Winning two big games in a row is very difficult. Winning three big games in a row is an incredible run. Brady has done this seven times.