NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Emmitt Smith says the 40 is overrated and claims he was only a 4.5-4.6 runner. I agree to some extent that football speed is not always seen on a track. And some on a track can't run with the burden of equipment and changing directions.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One thing I like about the internet is the linked stories. My Emmitt Smith piece is from a tweet he put out carried on my CBS sports feed. And that led to other 40 times. Which showed good NFL players who were slow. And then came a real nugget. Long time Cleveland Browns hero Bernie Kosar was rumored to be as slow as the linemen running 5.1-5.3 or something like it. I read a story saying he claims he only ran a 5.6. That is hilarious. He couldn't even run the slow 5.3.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It seems to me most teams in the NFL have a glaring need. Too many have gone stupid taking athletes that cannot play.
If I was Denver and he was on the board at the end of the first round I'd take him as fast as I could. But I wouldn't count on it.

Emmitt Smith says the 40 is overrated and claims he was only a 4.5-4.6 runner. I agree to some extent that football speed is not always seen on a track. And some on a track can't run with the burden of equipment and changing directions.
Sanders would tell you a different story, but then, Emmitt had a line that was so dominant his first contact came about four yards past the line of scrimmage. Sanders, I think, typically had people to try and shake his hand in the backfield.

I exaggerate, but only a little.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Elway has shown he understands completely the failure of many around the league and in general, those that fall for current trends. A problem that is wide across America. Most think they can do fine with low cost people and they will just do the same as a seasoned veteran. Of course, Manning is done. I can't see him continue without some sort of reconstructive work on his legs. And I am not seeing that at his age either.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Elway has shown he understands completely the failure of many around the league and in general, those that fall for current trends. A problem that is wide across America. Most think they can do fine with low cost people and they will just do the same as a seasoned veteran. Of course, Manning is done. I can't see him continue without some sort of reconstructive work on his legs. And I am not seeing that at his age either.
You think Manning will retire ? What about one more season ?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Stand out defensive linemen Joey Bosa had solid but not eye-popping numbers of 4.86 and 24 reps. He is still explosive off the ball and in the backfield quickly. Robert Nkemdiche ran 4.87 and did 28 reps. Both were 5 star recruits and both fully lived up to the hype. The DL class is deep.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If I hear one more thing about Deflate Gate...though I did today, via espn podcast. First take was going on about it, again. Bayliss was trumpeting Peter King's contention that the NFL should give back the picks because the judge had laughed at their contentions and that the science wasn't in their corner. Smith countered that this wasn't about the evidence or whether you believed the evidence or not. He believes this is about procedure, the Pats violating it, acting contrary to the collective bargaining setup and that it is part of a move by players to weaken the commissioner and strengthen their own position, even against the terms bargained for...and I think he has a point, which is why the NFL won't let it go. Can't, really. Bring on the appeal.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Unfortunately, the organization known as the NFL, is the owners.
I wonder, if they had a straight up and down vote on who hates the Pats what the final tally (@Tolly) would be.

Ignore the parens...I'm trying something out. :eek:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
From Thursday's hearing on the Deflate Gate appeal by the NFL:

Judge Denny Chin: “The evidence of ball tampering is compelling if not overwhelming.”

Judge Parker on Brady destroying his cell phone: “Mr. Brady’s explanation of that made no sense whatsoever.”

:think: Maybe Peter King needs to hold up for a minute.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Free agency starts on the 9th. Hold that bullet. The cap has been increased. This could be interesting. The Eagles resigned Bradford for $36 mil. $22 mil guaranteed. 2 years.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well it's official. Peyton is riding off into the sunset.

It was a great ride. One of the most class players to ever lace them up.

Although I think it was the right decision he will be missed.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well it's official. Peyton is riding off into the sunset.

It was a great ride. One of the most class players to ever lace them up.

Although I think it was the right decision he will be missed.
Yeah, you could understand how part of him would like to undo the injury plagued season that ended well enough, but to my mind, his impact on the San Diego home field game and his absolute best game of the year in the AFC Championship game were enough to salve that wound. The defense absolutely won that SB, but they don't get there without him and he managed to contribute even then.

Next up? Coaching? GM apprenticeship? Television commentary? Whatever he does one thing is certain, you won't find him unprepared to give his best to it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He is fit to be a QB coach/offensive coordinator. In that time he will learn to be the sideline CEO.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
He is fit to be a QB coach/offensive coordinator. In that time he will learn to be the sideline CEO.
My only question is how would he handle a nearly guaranteed lesser light at his position? I remember how frustrated Bird was, Magic was...more than a few greats can't cope with less driven people. I wonder if Peyton would have that problem or if he'd manage it as an additional challenge. :think:

Mr. 5020

Yeah, you could understand how part of him would like to undo the injury plagued season that ended well enough, but to my mind, his impact on the San Diego home field game and his absolute best game of the year in the AFC Championship game were enough to salve that wound. The defense absolutely won that SB, but they don't get there without him and he managed to contribute even then.

Next up? Coaching? GM apprenticeship? Television commentary? Whatever he does one thing is certain, you won't find him unprepared to give his best to it.
Last year, he said he would like to be the QB coach for his college. http://wate.com/2015/09/03/peyton-considers-coaching-vols-after-retiring-from-nfl/

Status
Not open for further replies.