NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
It looked like you were saying Manning was a better QB than Brady this year because he got a ring.
All I'm saying is that winning matters. Brady couldn't lead his team to victory over Manning's Broncos in the AFCC. Yes, it's a team game. And yes, there's a reason the highest paid athletes on the field are the QBs. Where the coach is the leader on the sidelines and at practices, coaches can't be on the field during the game, so the QB is the onfield leader, and wins are team wins, but there's a reason that Brady and Montana have four rings and nobody else does.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
All I'm saying is that winning matters. Brady couldn't lead his team to victory over Manning's Broncos in the AFCC. Yes, it's a team game. And yes, there's a reason the highest paid athletes on the field are the QBs. Where the coach is the leader on the sidelines and at practices, coaches can't be on the field during the game, so the QB is the onfield leader, and wins are team wins, but there's a reason that Brady and Montana have four rings and nobody else does.

:plain: See: Terry Bradshaw. You could make the argument he's a better SB qb than Brady. Look it up.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
All I'm saying is that winning matters.

That is even true of the place kicker. Teams win, not players. If you go to USA Today or ESPN.com you will standings and it says Denver, Pittsburgh, New England....not QB names.

For a QB, scoring points matters. Look at college where it is more apparent because physical advantages of Alabama, Ohio State, and Florida State are obvious. The Big 12 and all those points don't win because they can't stop anybody.

A QB can be all world, and still not win.

Quetzal

That is even true of the place kicker. Teams win, not players. If you go to USA Today or ESPN.com you will standings and it says Denver, Pittsburgh, New England....not QB names.

For a QB, scoring points matters. Look at college where it is more apparent because physical advantages of Alabama, Ohio State, and Florida State are obvious. The Big 12 and all those points don't win because they can't stop anybody.

A QB can be all world, and still not win.
True, look at Philip Rivers. A great QB but doesn't win games.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
:plain: See: Terry Bradshaw. You could make the argument he's a better SB qb than Brady. Look it up.
Yes, because championships matter. Montana was the greatest, and it's a shame that we couldn't watch him more.

You yourself mentioned his drive against Cincinnati, that's what I'm talking about, and the great ones do that sort of thing, they lead their team to the endzone when their team needs to be in the endzone.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You yourself mentioned his drive against Cincinnati, that's what I'm talking about, and the great ones do that sort of thing, they lead their team to the endzone when their team needs to be in the endzone.

4th quarter comebacks are another grossly abused statistic. In fact, all it really shows is the QB didn't take care of business in the first three quarters, or he plays at altitude.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A great QB wins championships.

So Trent Dilfer is a great QB? How about Bob Griese? Do you know what he did in the Super Bowl? I will give you a few minutes to look it up.

For the record, his first SB performance mirrors Elway's first SB win, which was Terrell Davis's win.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
4th quarter comebacks are another grossly abused statistic. In fact, all it really shows is the QB didn't take care of business in the first three quarters, or he plays at altitude.
The pressure on the athletes in the 4th quarter of a tight, big game is huge, so when athletes perform exceptionally during those high pressure times, that means more than a gunslinger who racks up mountains of statistical awards when it isn't the 4th quarter of a tight SB. In comparison to the closing seconds of a do-or-die game, all other situations are garbage time.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
So Trent Dilfer is a great QB? How about Bob Griese? Do you know what he did in the Super Bowl? I will give you a few minutes to look it up.

For the record, his first SB performance mirrors Elway's first SB win, which was Terrell Davis's win.
Again, we're talking about four and not two or one ring.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I didn't say he didn't. I said great QBs can win games and they are also susceptible to losing them. Simple statement, yes?
You mentioned Rivers, not me. Where's his rings? There are those who rise to the challenge once or twice, and then those who do it four times, and then there's those who never do it.

Great QBs can carry their team for a whole season.

Quetzal

You mentioned Rivers, not me. Where's his rings? There are those who rise to the challenge once or twice, and then those who do it four times, and then there's those who never do it.

Great QBs can carry their team for a whole season.
I like using him as an example because I think he is a good QB but his supporting staff sometimes lacks.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes, because championships matter. Montana was the greatest, and it's a shame that we couldn't watch him more.
Championships matter when you're distinguishing between fairly even considerations else. But those championships should mostly matter in how the qb played them. Bradshaw played those games better than Brady has, better than any of the recent, inarguably great qbs have.

But few talk about him as the greatest. If it was about rings every conversation would begin with Montana and Bradshaw, but you forgot to even include him.

Most people would. And there is your rebuttal in a nutshell.

They do when its required. And sometimes it still doesn't matter. Kurt Warner led a late, game winning drive against his SB opponent that was promptly given away by his lame defense. Put the right defense on the field and he has another ring and becomes the first qb to win a SB with two teams, instead of Peyton.

And his play would have been exactly the same.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The pressure on the athletes in the 4th quarter of a tight, big game is huge....

This is the untrue clichés I am talking about. What about the first three quarters? Montana was in a ball cap in the 4th quarter. Elway was not. The Broncos and Nuggets had the greatest home field advantage. Teams run out of gas. This is why the Pats were taking oxygen in the first quarter. To try and stop it.

Even Tim Tebow had 4th quarter comebacks in Denver. Only 19 of Elway's 50 comebacks were on the road. For random comparison, Big Ben has 18 on the road out of 38 total. Roethlisberger has been clutch as anybody. I had to look up Montana. He had 23 on the road out of 34.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Again, we're talking about four and not two or one ring.

And since you have the Pats avatar I can remind you the Pats have been caught cheating. Once could be claimed to be an anomaly. Even though filming is like playing online poker and they can see your hand. The Pats get an asterisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.