newbie warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mocking You

Being a relative newbie here, if there is one warning I would give out to newbies is would be that the signal to noise ratio here is terrible. Finding an intellectually honest, non-insulting, no name calling, "debate" here is like panning for gold in the Cuyahoga River. Or trying to find the diamond ring the elephant swallowed by rooting through its feces.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Being a relative newbie here, if there is one warning I would give out to newbies is would be that the signal to noise ratio here is terrible. Finding an intellectually honest, non-insulting, no name calling, "debate" here is like panning for gold in the Cuyahoga River. Or trying to find the diamond ring the elephant swallowed by rooting through its feces.

so why are you still here?

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
many of us have been here too long
and
are possibly jaded by what we have been exposed to
so
we need new people who haven't lost their sense of outrage

I actually hope this shocks you
but
I hope it doesn't scare you away because we really need you

here is a sample of what you might find here at tol

please note that two of them are hall of fame members
and
all three call themselves right winger christian

This is called smearing peoples' character. Is this really what you want to show newbies? You are taking them completely out of context.

Lets take the smear of Rocketman one of TOL's best posters. That post you cite is in reply to this:

christians who are for life and against abortion are voting for republicans because the democratic party supports abortion
and
this so called right wing christian posts an article suggesting they are whores for the republican party

genuineoriginal

I will never forget this
and
will do my best to make sure others do not forget this

rocketman agrees with genuineoriginal

they both call themselves right winger christians

can you believe that?
Everyone already knows you are a whore for the republican party and see no evil in them.
There are other groups out there besides the Republicans that are antiabortion. Not every Republican is pro-life either. You have people like Mitt Romney that are Republican in Name Only--RINO.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have moved this thread. This does not belong in Newbie introduction section. The newbie section is to be educational. This thread does not serve that purpose. Please do not put threads like this in the Newbie section.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
This is called smearing peoples' character. Is this really what you want to show newbies? You are taking them completely out of context.

Lets take the smear of Rocketman one of TOL's best posters. That post you cite is in reply to this:

There are other groups out there besides the Republicans that are antiabortion. Not every Republican is pro-life either. You have people like Mitt Romney that are Republican in Name Only--RINO.

It is a pathetic attempt by TOL's biggest RINO demagogue, to appeal to someone of the irrational ideological views as he holds. I agree it does not belong in the newbie section, we don't want him scaring off newbies with his demagoguery after all. :chuckle:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

try me - PM or on the board. depending on the topic, i may be quick or slow - :patrol:

View attachment 19346

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
It is a pathetic attempt by TOL's biggest RINO demagogue, to appeal to someone of the irrational ideological views as he holds. I agree it does not belong in the newbie section, we don't want him scaring off newbies with his demagoguery after all. :chuckle:

i agree, i saw it fairly quickly when i first clicked. personal agenda skews the entirety. one point i related to was new perspectives, new people that wanted intelligent discussion, Biblical, political or anything. i hope after years, and tens of thousands of posts, i don't resort to grudges and bitterness, or a feeling of "superiority." - :patrol:

Lon

Being a relative newbie here...
Pipe down rookie!

if there is one warning I would give out to newbies is would be that the signal to noise ratio here is terrible.
Er, It is only on 7. My amplifier goes to 11.
Finding an intellectually honest
I'm trying to wrap my head around that...I just can't do it.

non-insulting
Hold on a second, YOU started that thread.

no name calling
Wait, as opposed to insulting?

"debate" here is like panning for gold in the Cuyahoga River.
Linked :think:
Or trying to find the diamond ring the elephant swallowed by rooting through its feces.
Rings true

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
he called me a whore

I did call you "a whore for the republican party" chrys, I am sorry I have offended you with that analogy. I guess I could/should have said you are a unapologetic cheerleader for the Republican party, that you see no evil in them at all, and that you would gladly carry their water wherever they want without question as long as they continue to give you the lip service that suits your sensibilities. You are free to call that what you want...I will choose my analogies more carefully in the future as not to offend. :e4e:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What's the problem with their assessment of you, Chrys?

You know that the context in which they are using that word has to do with you undying loyalty in regards to the Republican party.

Making him the whoremonger. It was used metaphorically about Israel and is very comparable to him and the GOP. Glad you caught on.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I vote republican simply because the democratic party supports abortion
a christian would not call someone a whore because of that
rocketman did
a right winger would want to destroy the democratic party for many reasons
unless they support abortion, obamacare, unions, same sex marriage etc

we need to
destroy the democratic party
vote republican

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I vote republican simply because the democratic party supports abortion
It does by plank. It differs by member. So in that it resembles the Republican party that objects by plank but differs by member. :plain:

a christian would not call someone a whore because of that
rocketman did
Didn't he only just qualify that?

He wrote: "I did call you "a whore for the republican party" chrys, I am sorry I have offended you with that analogy."

a right winger would want to destroy the democratic party for many reasons
Maybe so, but a rational right winger would understand that isn't going to happen and alter his end game.

unless they support abortion, obamacare, unions, same sex marriage etc
Unions are like capitalism, great with restraint and a nightmare without any. Same sex marriage is a necessary evil if you want to live by the rule of law and abortion should be opposed by rationalists of any stripe.

we need to
destroy the democratic party
vote republican
When you aim for the impossible you deny yourself the good you can do and serve a worse outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.