ECT Nang's Boastful Lie

SaulToPaul 2

Where is Judas Iscariot called a bishop in the bible?

Since there were no formal, visible churches, yet established during the life time of Judas, these titles would not apply to him; and he certainly would not have qualified anyway.

Acts 1:20 (KJV)

Just curious

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Acts 1:20 (KJV)

Just curious

I would suppose this term was used to describe his association with the Apostles; described as a "bishopric," until he betrayed Christ and ended his own life.

It certainly is not an individual title or anointed position of Elder or Bishop given to him, as it now pertains to Christian churches, for Judas never was an overseer, protector, or teacher of believers, was he?

SaulToPaul 2

My point in all of this is that the details in scripture are sparse enough that it's impossible to form any kind of hierarchy within a local assembly and claim it is 100% scriptural.

I think there is a reason for that.

Dialogos

My point in all of this is that the details in scripture are sparse enough that it's impossible to form any kind of hierarchy within a local assembly and claim it is 100% scriptural.
Not sure how you get from A to B on that one.

There is one thing about leadership in a local church and that not having any is unscriptural. Titus 1:5 makes that pretty clear.

SaulToPaul 2

Not sure how you get from A to B on that one.

There is one thing about leadership in a local church and that not having any is unscriptural. Titus 1:5 makes that pretty clear.

Yes, it's obvious there was some kind of structure in Paul's churches, but I don't think there's enough information in his letters to fully emulate whatever that structure was.

There is some guesswork that has to be done.

Doom

I'm fairly certain there were no denominations at that time. In every city there was just the Church.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Every visible assembly of believers, since the resurrection of Christ, has formed leadership and authority within their members, due to the teachings of Holy Scripture.

This developed into two major camps: The Presbyters and the Congregationalists.

The former, designating and anointing Elders, who subsequently choose other Elders; all answerable to their system of Presbyter Sessions.

The latter chose to designate Elders according to local and independent congregational votes and majority; answerable only amongst themselves.

Either way, Protestant churches, if they are scriptural, name Elders for their own oversight and authoritative rule as taught by Paul.

To suggest the bible does not say enough about these matters, is simply an unrealistic denial of church history and very unwise, for:

No Eldership or no formal authority in an assembly of worshipers, will denigrate into lawlessness.

Unscriptural abuse and too much (human) authority given to Eldership in an assembly, can lead to magisterial politics (e.g. the Papistry).

SaulToPaul 2

Every visible assembly of believers, since the resurrection of Christ, has formed leadership and authority within their members, due to the teachings of Holy Scripture.

This developed into two major camps: The Presbyters and the Congregationalists.

The former, designating and anointing Elders, who subsequently choose other Elders; all answerable to their system of Presbyter Sessions.

The latter chose to designate Elders according to local and independent congregational votes and majority; answerable only amongst themselves.

Either way, Protestant churches, if they are scriptural, name Elders for their own oversight and authoritative rule as taught by Paul.

To suggest the bible does not say enough about these matters, is simply an unrealistic denial of church history and very unwise, for:

No Eldership or authority in an assembly of worshipers, will denigrate into lawlessness.

Unscriptural abuse and too much unscriptural authority given to Eldership in an assembly, can lead to magisterial politics (e.g. the Papistry).

Do your deacons serve tables?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
He was one of the 12.

He was called a disciple so I think that STP has a point.

Yes, that would be my surmisal, too. Seems the 12, as a group, were referred to as a "bishopric."

But that does not give Judas Iscariot the title or position of a church Elder, according to the scriptural requirements and purposes for that office.

glorydaz

I think there is a reason for that.

Yes, and there is a very good reason for that. Man is never immune to pride. Elders are to serve and esteem others more highly than themselves. Mature godly men are recognized by the members of the body...not set up to rule over but to serve and to lead by example. Any system of hierarchy within a local assembly is WRONG.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
We founded a Reformed Baptist Church and designated a teacher to Pastor us, who was not yet ordained as Elder, but functioned on probation to qualify for the office.

He came to Pastor us with the blessings of his former church, and his former Elders.

To my mind, a group of 3 Elders does not a church make. The position is one of oversight, and if there is no congregation to look over and teach, there is no reason for the formality.

This sounds like apostolic succession.

Do you really have to go back in the past?

rainee

We founded a Reformed Baptist Church and designated a teacher to Pastor us, who was not yet ordained as Elder, but functioned on probation to qualify for the office.

He came to Pastor us with the blessings of his former church, and his former Elders.

To my mind, a group of 3 Elders does not a church make. The position is one of oversight, and if there is no congregation to look over and teach, there is no reason for the formality.

Nang, I didn't know you were Reformed Baptist! I have an old friend I haven't seen in a long while who is a Pastor at a small congregation in a little town not far from here! Have you always been? He grew into it, I believe. We had a Bible Church that had become 5 points split years ago and some became Presbies and some RB.

Right Divider

Body part
Where is Judas Iscariot called a bishop in the bible?

Since there were no formal, visible churches, yet established during the life time of Judas, these titles would not apply to him; and he certainly would not have qualified anyway.
Hahahaha, from someone that always complains that MAD puts too much on the physical when it's all spiritual, no tells us that we need to understand the visible church. Hahahaha

Judas was one of the TWELVE, as was Peter. You don't think that ALL of the TWELVE had authority in this group chosen by Jesus?

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Are you on another planet? Because it sounds like your speaking from Uranus (that's Ουρανός for PPS)

Ouranos is heaven, so ironically this is a rhetorical question, since she's seated in heavenly places in Christ Jesus while speaking.

Yes, she's speaking from ouranos.

rainee

Hahahaha, from someone that always complains that MAD puts too much on the physical when it's all spiritual, no tells us that we need to understand the visible church. Hahahaha

Judas was one of the TWELVE, as was Peter. You don't think that ALL of the TWELVE had authority in this group chosen by Jesus?

Glad you are a happy soul, Right Divider.
But before The Lord sends them out (after His suffering, death, burial and resurrection but before His ascension) weren't Twelve Disciples like His children and He was the only Authority?

Didn't John the Baptist say something abut not being like them??

Now I have to go check myself!

I don't stay out of the Gospels myself - but it's a lot to remember!