Music Talk: albums, songs, artists, lists and tech

SaulToPaul 2

Looks like the summer slowdrums continue...

Let's see...top ten songs then.

Tom Petty

1. American Girl--the ultimate convertible with the top down summer song for early in the day/trip.
2. Refugee--We've all felt like that, only he says it the way we wish we had.
3. Free Fallin--the ultimate convertible with the top down summer song late in the afternoon.
4. The Waiting--one of his better, thoughtful songs.
5. Mary Jane's Last Dance--just some kind of cool and don't tell me you aren't waiting on, "Oh, my, my..."
6. I Won't Back Down--defiance served up with a steady hand.
7. A Face in the Crowd--something haunting about this despite a dated production on the album version.
8. You Got Lucky
9. Don't Come Around Here No More
10. Don't Do Me Like That

"Jammin' Me" ?

:singer:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I sure hope "Dirty Work" is in the top 15?
Absolutely. That was a darn hard list. Hon. Men. would have been cheating. I probably should have made it a 20, given their catalog...might be worth revisiting.

"Little Jeannie" and "I'm Still Standing" get honorable mentions, I hope!
To work backwards, yes and heck no. :eek: I like Blessed and...is it This Train? The one not far back. A lot you could add, like Daniel, Funeral for a Friend and then some.

"Jammin' Me" ?

:singer:
It was a real consideration. He's another with a pretty good catalog.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Top Ten Rolling Stones

Satisfaction
Paint it Black
Sympathy for the Devil
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Gimme Shelter
Brown Sugar
Wild Horses
Jumpin Jack Flash
Under My Thumb
Get Off of My Cloud

Hon. Men.:
Spend the Night Together
Miss You
Waiting on a Friend
Angie
Ruby Tuesday

PureX

For reasons unknown to me, I woke up this morning thinking about a band that was around in the 90s, called Soul Coughing. And I have to say, I still morn their break up, and I wasn't even aware of them when they were together and active.

I'm not usually a 'band' kind of guy. Sure, there have been some bands through the years that were so expressive and so creative that one can't help being a fan, but over all I tend to lean toward individual artists rather then bands, and most bands tend to be the product of one or two individual artists who happen to be able to collaborate, anyway. So it's unusual that I would be such a fan of Soul Coughing, because it wasn't a band based on the singular talents or leadership of one artist. It really was a collaborative effort.

Unfortunately, as excellent a musician as each member was, and as amazingly simpatico as their styles managed to be, their personalities were just … not. And they couldn't get along on a personal level well at all. Big talent sometimes comes with big ego and these guys were just not able to set their egos aside for the sake of the excellent music they were able to make together. And Mike Doughty, the frontman, was a pretty overwhelming (type "A") personality even though he was the youngest member. So I suppose the resentments were inevitable.

But as an artist, I find that very sad. And what a loss for us.

On the other hand, I also can understand that the creative personalities in the group couldn't be expected to stay in a situation that they found personally untenable, just for the sake my pleasure. And maybe my optimism is misplaced in thinking that had these guys managed to stay together, that they could have reached new and interesting creative heights in musical performance art.

Oh well. What's done is done, and I wish them all well, whatever they're doing now.

Here's a couple of examples for those who may not be familiar …

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Top Five Beach Boys

1. God Only Knows--brilliant melodically and lyrically conflicted. What's not to love?

2. Wouldn't It Be Nice--an optimistic smile when you're young and a bitter sweet one when you're older.

3. Good Vibrations--an all time summer feel good song for the beach.

4. Don't Worry Baby--beautiful chorus captures something poignant.

5. I Can Hear Music--a surprising, sans Wilson, love anthem by that fun loving bunch of fifty year old kids...

Last edited:

PureX

Top Five Beach Boys

1. God Only Knows--brilliant melodically and lyrically conflicted. What's not to love?

2. Wouldn't It Be Nice--an optimistic smile when you're young and a bitter sweet one when you're older.

3. Good Vibrations--an all time summer feel good song for the beach.

4. Don't Worry Baby--beautiful chorus captures something poignant and sweet.

5. I Can Hear Music--a surprising, sans Wilson, love anthem by that fun loving bunch of fifty year old kids...
I was a boy in the mid 1960s, but I do remember how the Beach Boys captured the spirit of the times so well. Especially as I grew up in a summer resort town with lots of beaches and all that came with that. Hot rods, bikinis, summer romances, … life was still kind of basic, then, if you were a teenager. I wasn't a teenager, yet, but I was watching. It wasn't until the late 60s that things started to get very confusing, and ugly.

When I hear the Beach Boys music I think of those days. Jacked up muscle cars with the rear differential painted florescent orange. Five spoke mag wheels with 'racing slicks' on the back. Girls with incredibly skimpy bikinis and guys in their "pegged" pants with penny loafers (and no socks). My friend Randy's older brother's GTO sitting in front of his house, awaiting his return from Viet Nam. (He did return, eventually.) The girl my age that lived across the street.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Diana Krall-Quiet Nights

1. "Where or When" Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart 4:10
2. "Too Marvelous for Words" Johnny Mercer, Richard A. Whiting 4:05
3. "I've Grown Accustomed to His Face" Frederick Loewe, Alan Jay Lerner 4:48
4. "The Boy from Ipanema" Antonio Carlos Jobim, Vinicius de Moraes, Norman Gimbel 4:54
5. "Walk On By" Burt Bacharach, Hal David 5:03
6. "You're My Thrill" Jay Gorney, Sidney Clare 5:47
7. "Este Seu Olhar" Jobim 2:45
8. "So Nice" Marcos Valle, Paulo Sérgio Valle, Gimbel 3:52
9. "Quiet Nights" Jobim, Gene Lees 4:45
10. "Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry" Jule Styne, Sammy Cahn 4:59
11. "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" (bonus track) Barry Gibb, Robin Gibb 4:30
12. "Everytime We Say Goodbye" (bonus track) Cole Porter 5:18

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Top Ten Rolling Stones

Satisfaction
Paint it Black
Sympathy for the Devil
Gimme Shelter
Brown Sugar
Wild Horses
Jumpin Jack Flash
Under My Thumb
Get Off of My Cloud

Hon. Men.:
Spend the Night Together
Miss You
Waiting on a Friend
Angie
Ruby Tuesday

I like these old time rock songs. "Under My Thumb" would be up there. Same with 'Time on My Side" "Honky Tonk Woman" and "Lady Jane"

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Top Ten Rolling Stones

Satisfaction
Paint it Black
Sympathy for the Devil
Gimme Shelter
Brown Sugar
Wild Horses
Jumpin Jack Flash
Under My Thumb
Get Off of My Cloud

Hon. Men.:
Spend the Night Together
Miss You
Waiting on a Friend
Angie
Ruby Tuesday

you left off - can't you hear me knockin' ?

unacceptable - you hear me knockin ?

deep purple

PureX

I like these old time rock songs. "Under My Thumb" would be up there. Same with 'Time on My Side" "Honky Tonk Woman" and "Lady Jane"
All great songs. But when I think of the Rolling Stones, I think of Mick Jagger's 'in-your-face', almost obscenely 'sassy' performance style, that back in the 60s looked like something that would get a teenager arrested, or thrown out of school, or sent to reform school. He was what every parent would despise as a friend or a boy friend. He was outrageously sexual and disrespectful of the way teens were expected to behave at the time. And those of us who were teens, then, were fascinated and somewhat awestruck by it.

He was just so openly and unapologetically BAD! And so were their songs! The Stones made the Beatles look and sound like choir boys! And they gave new meaning to what it meant to be "cool".

Breathe

We are doing a beach music playlist for the rehearsal dinner I'm planning for my son and his fiancé the night before their beach wedding. I love that stuff - it reminds me of childhood summers at southern beaches.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
All great songs. But when I think of the Rolling Stones, I think of Mick Jagger's 'in-your-face', almost obscenely 'sassy' performance style, that back in the 60s looked like something that would get a teenager arrested, or thrown out of school, or sent to reform school. He was what every parent would despise as a friend or a boy friend. He was outrageously sexual and disrespectful of the way teens were expected to behave at the time. And those of us who were teens, then, were fascinated and somewhat awestruck by it.

He was just so openly and unapologetically BAD! And so were their songs! The Stones made the Beatles look and sound like choir boys! And they gave new meaning to what it meant to be "cool".

I would agree. I am not a baby-boomer, Jagger isn't either, as he is about six months younger than me.

The thing is, when these threads are posted almost everyone goes for the 70s and 60s tunes. A4T picked something more recent, which is good.

I could pick lots of 50s tunes, but few are interested in my taste in 40s and 50s music.

PureX

I would agree. I am not a baby-boomer, Jagger isn't either, as he is about six months younger than me.

The thing is, when these threads are posted almost everyone goes for the 70s and 60s tunes. A4R picked something more recent, which is good.

I could pick lots of 50s tunes, but few are interested in my taste in 40s and 50s music.
Every era has some great music, no doubt about it. I'm not a boomer, either. I'm the next generation after. But I remember it all happening even though I was a younger kid. Woodstock was in my general neighborhood, and I remember all the 'hippies' passing through my town that summer on their way to it. I was 11 in 1968. Just a bit too young to go to something like that.

But I was old enough to pick up on the 'vibe' of the times. And I remember, distinctly, watching the Beatles years before on the Ed Sullivan Show and knowing, somehow, that what I was witnessing was a moment in history, and that it was for my generation. Not my parents. And it was special. I was seven or eight at the time, but I still knew this in my bones.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Every era has some great music, no doubt about it. I'm not a boomer, either. I'm the next generation after. But I remember it all happening even though I was a younger kid. Woodstock was in my general neighborhood,

Oh yes, that is what someone meant about Woodstock. I remember reading in the paper about it.

I looked it up, in August of 69, I was 28 then, about the same age as some of the members in the band. They did not play to their own generation, not much anyway?

PureX

Oh yes, that is what someone meant about Woodstock. I remember reading in the paper about it.

I looked it up, in August of 69, I was 28 then, about the same age as some of the members in the band. They did not play to their own generation, not much anyway?
Actually, many of them were younger then that. Even those who weren't clearly felt it was 'their generation' (anyone under 30), as evidenced by The Who. :) In fact, the whole thing was basically a celebration of youth, exuberance, and freedom.

Performed live at Woodstock …

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Oh, heck yes. First album of theirs I owned was Eldorado. The second was their all time best, A New World Record.

Top Ten ELO

1. Can't Get it Out of my Head--not their best known, but a song that by itself would justify the existence of a band. Terrific melody.

2. Evil Woman

3. Ma Ma Bell

4. Mr. Blue Sky

5. Telephone Line

6. Living Thing

7. Do Ya

8. Strange Magic

9. Showdown

10. Rockaria