Mom writes "goodbye" letter to baby she is about to abort

alwight

"Belief" is what is happening on the inside. This cannot be compelled.
Obedience may be compelled.
Religions typically want to impose or compel their particular beliefs rather than those of another religion or none, some might call it indoctrination. :plain:

alwight

I can't impose my beliefs on people. What good would my beliefs do them? Everyone needs to come to their own reckoning.
When homosexuality was against the law was that not a religiously inspired imposition?
There are many today who vigorously campaign for a return to those days, in the name of their religious beliefs apparently, although I sometimes suspect a more personal goal going on.

bybee

When homosexuality was against the law was that not a religiously inspired imposition?
There are many today who vigorously campaign for a return to those days, in the name of their religious beliefs apparently, although I sometimes suspect a more personal goal going on.

I believe homosexual practice is against the natural order of things.
But then, so is obesity.

bybee

Religions typically want to impose or compel their particular beliefs rather than those of another religion or none, some might call it indoctrination. :plain:

Indoctrination begins at birth.
At a certain point one must begin to live by one's principles. This involves choice.
I have comfort zones and I prefer to stay within them.
Of course, I expect that others have comfort zones and I respect their right to stay within them.

IMJerusha

You're mixing apples with oranges. The law of the land is one thing. The Law of God is something else.

There are many today who vigorously campaign for a return to those days, in the name of their religious beliefs apparently,
So those who would like the law of the land to reflect the Law of God are simply trying to cram their belief down everyones throat? Of course, IYE then, Christians don't have the same rights as everyone else.

although I sometimes suspect a more personal goal going on.
Yeah, it's called Democracy and it worked quite well for us back in 1776.

IMJerusha

As is the wearing of mixed weave cloth? :plain:

If you're going to refer to the Law, which Christians are no longer under, at least refer to it with some intelligence. It wasn't about mixed weave cloth but rather mixing two specific materials, linen and wool. I don't know any cloth manufacturer that is dumb enough to do that. The shrinkage rate on these two materials is so different it would be a waste.

Additionally, I'd like to see two men produce a child by their unnatural sex acts. God did not make another male for Adam as a helpmate. He made a female. And it's not like He didn't have a choice.

IMJerusha

One can not be indoctrinated into the faith. The parable of the sower might help you to understand. Folks raised in the faith get to the point where head knowledge must become heart knowledge and it often doesn't.

alwight

Indoctrination begins at birth.
At a certain point one must begin to live by one's principles. This involves choice.
I have comfort zones and I prefer to stay within them.
Of course, I expect that others have comfort zones and I respect their right to stay within them.
Yes indeed bybee, although some people seem to think that they know what is better for others own good than they do themselves.
Maybe they think that a supposed salvation and a blissful eternity is rather more important than any personal freedom to choose while in this life? Which might even be justified if it really was true.
However I say believe away personally but that actually nobody knows any more than anyone else and they shouldn't act as though they do, but then again they may only be trying to convince themselves?

IMJerusha

Yes indeed bybee, although some people seem to think that they know what is better for others own good than they do themselves.
Maybe they think that a supposed salvation and a blissful eternity is rather more important than any personal freedom to choose while in this life? Which might even be justified if it really was true.
However I say believe away personally but that actually nobody knows any more than anyone else and they shouldn't act as though they do, but then again they may only be trying to convince themselves?

You make the mistake of thinking that God doesn't give believers a choice to believe or not to believe. You do, most certainly, have the personal freedom to acknowledge God and His Son before you breathe your last breath. Question is, when will you breathe your last breath? And that's the only constraint but that's everyones constraint so you really can't complain about it. :idunno:

alwight

One can not be indoctrinated into the faith. The parable of the sower might help you to understand. Folks raised in the faith get to the point where head knowledge must become heart knowledge and it often doesn't.
I don't buy that, clearly religions are regional and cultural, often teaching different "truths" as "knowledge", most people just obediently toe the local line.

IMJerusha

I don't buy that, clearly religions are regional and cultural, often teaching different "truths" as "knowledge", most people just obediently toe the local line.

God and His Son aren't regional and cultural or haven't you noticed?

alwight

You make the mistake of thinking that God doesn't give believers a choice to believe or not to believe. You do, most certainly, have the personal freedom to acknowledge God and His Son before you breathe your last breath. Question is, when will you breathe your last breath? And that's the only constraint but that's everyones constraint so you really can't complain about it. :idunno:
Why do you think faith and belief are so important to God?

Why not present the real truth and leave no doubt?

IMJerusha

Claimed gods are very regional imo.

Okay, so basically what this about is your desire to do what you want whether right or wrong and determining for yourself what is right and wrong. As long as you don't acknowledge God you can do that. If you acknowledge Him then you feel constrained. So, why don't you run around killing anyone you so choose or taking what you want, etc.?

alwight

Okay, so basically what this about is your desire to do what you want whether right or wrong and determining for yourself what is right and wrong. As long as you don't acknowledge God you can do that. If you acknowledge Him then you feel constrained. So, why don't you run around killing anyone you so choose or taking what you want, etc.?
If you choose to believe that your life requires there being an invisible moral leash then go ahead, I seem to get by without one.
I've never been a menace to society to my knowledge.