Mom writes "goodbye" letter to baby she is about to abort

IMJerusha

I can tell you are running out of things to say. :plain:

Oh, heavens no, I'm content to answer your every post.

Someone's just been to Platitudes R Us? :plain:

It's never a platitude if it gets one to turn around.

Very droll, but I'm not religious and would have gladly accepted the first practical aid that turned up.

But you haven't, have you?

But you seem to think that God would send aid if asked for but wouldn't have simply prevented the flood in the first place? mmm :think:

You have to acknowledge Him, understand and accept your sin before you get flood prevention.

Simona88

Well initially anyway my comments were because some people do have very fixed specific ideas of heaven and hell, but not you or me perhaps?

Indeed. You, however, seemed to understand hell from the interior of a specific religion (whether you were aware or not), which is the catholic one. I didn't want to suggest that you were intellectually dishonest, that's why I felt the need to intervene and tell you that although all christians believe in hell, not all churches understand it the same way. Christians and theologians never said, in choir, the same things about hell, without any nuances or originality. Since hell is believed by us, christians, to be a spiritual reality, you can, of course, imagine that we understand it as a complex and deep reality that touches your being.
So, my premise was not that you were being dishonest or, worse, mean, towards christianity, but that you had a misconception about it and maybe (since you are on a forum called "theology online") you are opened to hear another version of hell (not to accept that hell exists, but simply to be aware that hell is more complex than the easy, simplistic view that some people have about it).

You seem to be suggesting that to love others is an uncomfortable but necessary duty?

No. I am trying to show you the beauty that lies precisely in the gratuity of love (real love). No one can blame or consider evil the two other men who decided to pass by the victim and ignore her because there is no law that obliges you to put yourself in danger, to put your security at risk, to spend your time, energy and money on a complete stranger. The two men who ignored the victim are normal, regular people, the type of people to whom you can't reproach nothing, but can't admire anything either.
Also, all christians know that the Good Samaritan is, in fact, Jesus Christ. To say that for God, love is something uncomfortable and a necessary duty would be a very big misunderstanding of Who He Is.
However, I will agree with you that sacrificial love is not the easiest thing to do and can be perceived (at least, at the beginning) as a discomfort (I explained above why the discomfort) and it takes a lot of energy, attention and self-sacrifice. It is a discomfort especially for our egos who love themselves and always expect something in exchange for the love we give.
I think that when someone loves in a sacrificial way, he no longer feel that he is sacrificing himself. For that kind of person (very rare and special person) love is the most natural thing to do. That person is called in my church "happy, beautiful and saint".

But I'm more of the opinion that actually we don't have to love anyone unless it just happens that we do. Reactive rather than pro-active love, but then I'm not trying to follow any Christian-esc doctrine.

I believe that if you read carefully the parable of the Good Samaritan, you will understand that love is not the monopole of a "christian-esc doctrine". If you know who the Samaritan people were for the jews, you will appreciate even more the beauty of the Samaritan. Christ didn't give him as an example of love for nothing. He was, in fact, making a point.

Maybe you think I'm in hell already?

I don't know you. I believe, just like the french writer Antoine de Saint Exupery, that we are more than we express in words. I don't think that a certain philosophy or doctrine makes you who you are. I believe you are, just like any other person, created under the image of God and whenever you chose to love, you realize that image in yourself, you become who you are meant to become. When you reject love, you fail to realize the image of God in yourself, you move away from the beautiful creature that you are and from your purpose in life.

You seem to think that you know that "real hell" is a real place and what it amounts to, but I don't think you do or that you have any better idea than anyone else does, i.e, nothing. You may as well be claiming to know that a lake of fire and eternal agony awaits.

I believe Jesus Christ had a better idea than anyone else. I also confess that He is God incarnated.

I think you should try to understand that someone like me simply has no belief in any god, not that your particular God entity is being personally rejected or opposed.

Oh, but I already knew this. I can see it says "atheist" at your profile information.
Nonetheless, I thought that your presence on this forum is, among other things, to discuss theology also. Maybe I was mistaken.

I don't consider myself to be a bad or evil person and simply and honestly don't accept the concept of any god entity mainly as proposed by human man-made religions.

If at a certain moment I made you feel as you were a "bad" or "evil" person, than, please, receive my apologies. I hope no one feels or believes that he is a bad, evil person. That would follow that God Himself os bad and evil. Or, after He created us He saw that "it was good/beautiful" what He created. The problem is sin (from gr. hamartia, which means "failure") which is a disease, a parasite that doesn't allow us to become what we are meant to become

Btw I did not choose to be an atheist the word simply explains something about me and my disbelief, that I am not convinced by religious claims nor of their particular deities. I am also an agnostic if that doesn't confuse things for you.

It is a little bit confusing. I guess that by adding the word "agnostic" to describe your beliefs you try to be honest with yourself and admit that you don't know.
We, christians, believe that God showed His face in the man Jesus Christ and thus, the religious attitude (that of seeking God) loses its meaning. What we want, now that God revealed to us, is to unite with Him and partake with His divine uncreated energies through the life of the New Creation - the Church.

That all rather hinges on the thorny issue of abortion. Should any pregnancy ever be aborted for any reason?
Should pregnancy be prevented in the first place?
Is it a human "person" from conception or else when?
Is it always wrong to plan your own life or simply accept what you get?
You tell me.

I thought I already did when I talked about the sacrificial love...

But my own position here FTR is that those with perhaps a rigid doctrinal opinion or rejection of any abortion at all should not get to impose that opinion on those who would honestly want to choose otherwise for whatever reason, medical or personal.

My opinion is that no law will ever stop a woman from getting an abortion. Because love is something that can not be commanded. You either love, either are scared and frightened by love. That's what I've been trying to say over and over again: that love is not the priority number 1 in the lives of most of people. Unfortunately.
If there is a law anti-abortion than the woman will seek somewhere else to get the job done and there were not few the cases (at least, in my country) where the woman died from this sort of intervention.

Shame, since it seems that you may have had something to say that extant human people should not meddle with natural things to improve our own lot?

To be honest, I actually thought that I touched the issue of abortion with absolutely everything I said.
I thank you for trusting that I also am a voice and have something meaningful to say about abortion. At the same time, I am sorry that you didn't understand that love and life are not only beautiful concepts but realities that actually include (or not, depending on the use of freedom of each person): a baby.

alwight

Well initially anyway my comments were because some people do have very fixed specific ideas of heaven and hell, but not you or me perhaps?
Indeed. You, however, seemed to understand hell from the interior of a specific religion (whether you were aware or not), which is the catholic one. I didn't want to suggest that you were intellectually dishonest, that's why I felt the need to intervene and tell you that although all christians believe in hell, not all churches understand it the same way. Christians and theologians never said, in choir, the same things about hell, without any nuances or originality. Since hell is believed by us, christians, to be a spiritual reality, you can, of course, imagine that we understand it as a complex and deep reality that touches your being.
So, my premise was not that you were being dishonest or, worse, mean, towards christianity, but that you had a misconception about it and maybe (since you are on a forum called "theology online") you are opened to hear another version of hell (not to accept that hell exists, but simply to be aware that hell is more complex than the easy, simplistic view that some people have about it).
While there are many different versions of Christianity there are many more versions of heaven and hell existing in people's minds, I suspect. I can only hope to tackle each variation or misconception on an individual basis. However I usually find that the nature of the Christian God typically expressed seems to reflect much of the wishes of the particular believer.
Yes I may sometimes be mean about some visions of hell because in some people's vision of hell I will get to spend eternity in agony, of which they will sometimes remind me, so I'll make no apology about that if I do.

You seem to be suggesting that to love others is an uncomfortable but necessary duty?
No. I am trying to show you the beauty that lies precisely in the gratuity of love (real love). No one can blame or consider evil the two other men who decided to pass by the victim and ignore her because there is no law that obliges you to put yourself in danger, to put your security at risk, to spend your time, energy and money on a complete stranger. The two men who ignored the victim are normal, regular people, the type of people to whom you can't reproach nothing, but can't admire anything either.
Also, all christians know that the Good Samaritan is, in fact, Jesus Christ. To say that for God, love is something uncomfortable and a necessary duty would be a very big misunderstanding of Who He Is.
However, I will agree with you that sacrificial love is not the easiest thing to do and can be perceived (at least, at the beginning) as a discomfort (I explained above why the discomfort) and it takes a lot of energy, attention and self-sacrifice. It is a discomfort especially for our egos who love themselves and always expect something in exchange for the love we give.
I think that when someone loves in a sacrificial way, he no longer feel that he is sacrificing himself. For that kind of person (very rare and special person) love is the most natural thing to do. That person is called in my church "happy, beautiful and saint".
Well, there are many such "just-so" stories and parables connected with Christianity, all of which are intended to make a salient point perhaps, but in real life there are usually many more factors involved in individual situations than the rather simplistic little story can deal with. If all the relevant circumstances of each scenario are not considered then the story, however charming, isn't ultimately of any great value imo.
We may all be somewhat hardened to the suffering of others these days because we can see it on TV or read about it from all parts of the world, but if I personally were confronted with human suffering, where I am, then I'd never even want to walk by. In fact I rather resent the implied Christian assumption that I would.

But I'm more of the opinion that actually we don't have to love anyone unless it just happens that we do. Reactive rather than pro-active love, but then I'm not trying to follow any Christian-esc doctrine.
I believe that if you read carefully the parable of the Good Samaritan, you will understand that love is not the monopole of a "christian-esc doctrine". If you know who the Samaritan people were for the jews, you will appreciate even more the beauty of the Samaritan. Christ didn't give him as an example of love for nothing. He was, in fact, making a point.
Yes that was rather the intent of the "just-so" story and as I have already said above I rather resent the doctrinal condescension that it is more natural to shirk a clear humanitarian obligation. But fear not, the world will probably never run out of human need somewhere that we can all be made to feel guilty about. :rolleyes:

Maybe you think I'm in hell already?
I don't know you. I believe, just like the french writer Antoine de Saint Exupery, that we are more than we express in words. I don't think that a certain philosophy or doctrine makes you who you are. I believe you are, just like any other person, created under the image of God and whenever you chose to love, you realize that image in yourself, you become who you are meant to become. When you reject love, you fail to realize the image of God in yourself, you move away from the beautiful creature that you are and from your purpose in life.
Actually I believe that evidentially life has simply evolved to be as it is and therefore it must compete and adapt in an often brutal and cruel way just to survive.
But what about love?
I realise that my view isn't exactly filled with love and divine intent, so perhaps this is indeed hell, at least for some poor individuals if not me.

You seem to think that you know that "real hell" is a real place and what it amounts to, but I don't think you do or that you have any better idea than anyone else does, i.e, nothing. You may as well be claiming to know that a lake of fire and eternal agony awaits.
I believe Jesus Christ had a better idea than anyone else. I also confess that He is God incarnated.
But you personally don't actually seem to know how real Biblical hell is, or even if it exists at all in a real sense? You simply seem to accept what an anonymous gospel evangelist has written concerning Jesus Christ some decades after the claimed events?

I think you should try to understand that someone like me simply has no belief in any god, not that your particular God entity is being personally rejected or opposed.
Oh, but I already knew this. I can see it says "atheist" at your profile information.
Nonetheless, I thought that your presence on this forum is, among other things, to discuss theology also. Maybe I was mistaken.
Theology typically relates to doctrine/philosophy based on a belief in god(s), but I think that whether or not a god exists at all is also theology, not just to assume that the question of God's existence has been settled. There is surely no point in any specific religious philosophy if no specific god actually exists.
Also if non-believers are fair game to be preached to, or indoctrinated as children then imo non-believers can preach back with a little theology of their own.

I don't consider myself to be a bad or evil person and simply and honestly don't accept the concept of any god entity mainly as proposed by human man-made religions.
If at a certain moment I made you feel as you were a "bad" or "evil" person, than, please, receive my apologies. I hope no one feels or believes that he is a bad, evil person. That would follow that God Himself os bad and evil. Or, after He created us He saw that "it was good/beautiful" what He created. The problem is sin (from gr. hamartia, which means "failure") which is a disease, a parasite that doesn't allow us to become what we are meant to become
No I wasn't relating to your own particular Christian beliefs at the time, I'm simply claiming generally that my motives are honest and that, should I nevertheless ultimately be wrong, then it would be petty, arbitrary and pointless to punish me for it, perhaps eternally. "I told you so" would do imo.
"Sin" however is imo unreal and arbitrary doctrine, a religious construct with no real purpose other than to implant guilt and remorse into believers.

Btw I did not choose to be an atheist the word simply explains something about me and my disbelief, that I am not convinced by religious claims nor of their particular deities. I am also an agnostic if that doesn't confuse things for you.
It is a little bit confusing. I guess that by adding the word "agnostic" to describe your beliefs you try to be honest with yourself and admit that you don't know.
We, christians, believe that God showed His face in the man Jesus Christ and thus, the religious attitude (that of seeking God) loses its meaning. What we want, now that God revealed to us, is to unite with Him and partake with His divine uncreated energies through the life of the New Creation - the Church.
I'm an agnostic atheist because I don't claim to know that no god exists, but I don't believe that any do. I don't understand how anyone can honestly claim to be a gnostic theist or indeed gnostic atheist, nobody actually does know nor do you, because it probably isn't possible to know.

That all rather hinges on the thorny issue of abortion. Should any pregnancy ever be aborted for any reason?
Should pregnancy be prevented in the first place?
Is it a human "person" from conception or else when?
Is it always wrong to plan your own life or simply accept what you get?
You tell me.
I thought I already did when I talked about the sacrificial love...
Well, you talked about babies and love, is it a baby at conception or does it have to develop some physical capacity first to arguably become a person to love rather than just a few human cells, that could potentially become a future person to love?
Are there any specific circumstances at all around a pregnancy that you might accept that an abortion was an acceptable or a least worst pragmatic choice?

But my own position here FTR is that those with perhaps a rigid doctrinal opinion or rejection of any abortion at all should not get to impose that opinion on those who would honestly want to choose otherwise for whatever reason, medical or personal.
My opinion is that no law will ever stop a woman from getting an abortion. Because love is something that can not be commanded. You either love, either are scared and frightened by love. That's what I've been trying to say over and over again: that love is not the priority number 1 in the lives of most of people. Unfortunately.
If there is a law anti-abortion than the woman will seek somewhere else to get the job done and there were not few the cases (at least, in my country) where the woman died from this sort of intervention.
Could it not be considered a form of love that prevents a severely disabled child being born into chronic pain and suffering? Could it not be considered love to choose abortion if the mother's life is physically at risk, because of the love between her and her partner? I could go on...

Shame, since it seems that you may have had something to say that extant human people should not meddle with natural things to improve our own lot?
To be honest, I actually thought that I touched the issue of abortion with absolutely everything I said.
I thank you for trusting that I also am a voice and have something meaningful to say about abortion. At the same time, I am sorry that you didn't understand that love and life are not only beautiful concepts but realities that actually include (or not, depending on the use of freedom of each person): a baby.
I simply think that your concept of love is perhaps all fuzzy and warm but actually isn't particularly well thought through, not for real world practical purposes anyway. :plain:

IMJerusha

But maybe I don't think I'm drowning?

A popular misconception.

Put me in a real flood situation with an option of real salvation rather than an imaginary one, then most rescuers would save first then "chew the fat" afterwards.

I'm doing what God called me to do bud, but I'm no miracle worker.
"Billions of dead things, buried in rock layers, laid down by water, all over the earth.” -- Ken Ham That is what has been discovered so there was a real flood situation. We should consider ourselves quite blessed that wasn't during our time. What is going on now in the world some might consider a cake walk by comparison. The problem, however, is that they don't see the real battle. You call it imaginary because you can not see it but it's there and you can feel it and you can see the evidence of it. Make one positive move toward acknowledgement of God and it will become more visible to you. Why?...because HaSatan thinks he's got you wrapped up so he's not paying much attention to you. Move the goal post a bit and watch him up his game. If it wasn't so serious, it would be hilarious, he's that predictable.

Last edited:

alwight

A popular misconception.
A matter of opinion then, but there would be no doubting a real flood.

I'm doing what God called me to do bud, but I'm no miracle worker.
You may well think that but I tend to doubt that gods say anything to anyone..

"Billions of dead things, buried in rock layers, laid down by water, all over the earth.” -- Ken Ham That is what has been discovered so there was a real flood situation.
We should consider ourselves quite blessed that wasn't during our time. What is going on now in the world some might consider a cake walk by comparison. The problem, however, is that they don't see the real battle. You call it imaginary because you can not see it but it's there and you can feel it and you can see the evidence of it. Make one positive move toward acknowledgement of God and it will become more visible to you. Why?...because HaSatan thinks he's got you wrapped up so he's not paying much attention to you. Move the goal post a bit and watch him up his game. If it wasn't so serious, it would be hilarious, he's that predictable.
I'm not too sure that Ken Ham is much of an expert on floods, metaphorical or real ones? :liberals:
What he chooses to call "Billions of dead things, buried in rock layers, laid down by water, all over the earth.” are actually dead things found in discrete sedimentary layers separated in deep time from more modern creatures, over hundreds of millions of years, and many different flooding events, but never a one-off global flood.:nono:

Simona88

While there are many different versions of Christianity there are many more versions of heaven and hell existing in people's minds, I suspect. I can only hope to tackle each variation or misconception on an individual basis. However I usually find that the nature of the Christian God typically expressed seems to reflect much of the wishes of the particular believer.

Indeed. Your observation is accurate and true based on how Americans understand God. All the christian variations, sects, denominations and subcultures come from America because people there refused the objective truth of the Church (the church being understood by them as the institution of the priests and a man-made doctrine and tradition) in favor of subjective feelings, emotions, auto-suggestion and other self-induced religious experiences (some of them are very extreme, such as shaking, falling on the ground, hysteric laughing, speaking in tongues etc.).

Well, there are many such "just-so" stories and parables connected with Christianity, all of which are intended to make a salient point perhaps, but in real life there are usually many more factors involved in individual situations than the rather simplistic little story can deal with. If all the relevant circumstances of each scenario are not considered then the story, however charming, isn't ultimately of any great value imo.

Don't take it as an arrogance from my part, but I have to note that you ignore what a parable (whether christian or not) is (because you call it "a rather simplistic story").
I let you alone discover the beauty and richness of a parable (if you are curious, of course).

We may all be somewhat hardened to the suffering of others these days because we can see it on TV or read about it from all parts of the world, but if I personally were confronted with human suffering, where I am, then I'd never even want to walk by. In fact I rather resent the implied Christian assumption that I would.

I am not sure where did you see an implied christian assumption that you would pass by the human suffering...
Now that you said this, it is even clearer for me that, not only you don't know what a parable is, but you don't know the parable of the Good Samaritan either. Maybe you heard about it, but never read it.
Anyway, if you are interested to read it, you know where you can ind it.

Yes that was rather the intent of the "just-so" story and as I have already said above I rather resent the doctrinal condescension that it is more natural to shirk a clear humanitarian obligation. But fear not, the world will probably never run out of human need somewhere that we can all be made to feel guilty about. :rolleyes:

...I wonder if, in general, when you read a story, a novel, a poem etc. you suspect the teller/the writer of "condescension", or other hidden, mean intentions that have the purpose to make you feel guilty about something...

But you personally don't actually seem to know how real Biblical hell is, or even if it exists at all in a real sense? You simply seem to accept what an anonymous gospel evangelist has written concerning Jesus Christ some decades after the claimed events?

I am aware that for a lot of Americans, the Eastern Orthodox Church (the faith -of more than 2000 years- of the Romanians, Russians, Ukrainians, Serbians, Bulgarians, Greeks etc.) is a sort of catholic variation, a combination between christianity and hellenism or a weird, mystic, anonymous gospel.

See? That's what bothers me about a lot of Americans (whether christian, theist, atheist and whatever): that they make assumptions, speculations, ignorant remarks about what other people believe or where they come from instead of simply asking "hey, what is that you believe?", "what kind of christian are you?" or "what church do you belong to?".

It is not a shame to admit that you don't know, it is actually proof of honesty, simplicity and good-willing.

Theology typically relates to doctrine/philosophy based on a belief in god(s), but I think that whether or not a god exists at all is also theology, not just to assume that the question of God's existence has been settled. There is surely no point in any specific religious philosophy if no specific god actually exists.

No...theology doesn't typically relate to doctrine/philosophy based in a belief in god(s). Theology is the study of God (not gods), a systematic, separatist, rationalist study that was started by the western christian (soon to become roman-catholic) scholars and continued by protestant scholars.
Hindus, buddhists, shintoists and all the eastern cultures don't have "theology", but philosophies.
It is not, of course, a secret for anyone that the universities (the place where each intellectual and spiritual preoccupation is studied as a science, in a separate way) are 100% the western christian invention.
All the people and cultures of the world had (and still have) music, for example, but only the christians from the western Europe made a systematic study/science of music. The same thing they (the westerners) did with God: they invented theology (they tried to submit God, the unlimited, to a rational and intellectualist study; they were wrong, in my opinion; however, this doesn't change the fact that precisely this erroneous understanding of God lead them to a certain discipline and to a social, political, cultural development).

Also if non-believers are fair game to be preached to, or indoctrinated as children then imo non-believers can preach back with a little theology of their own

As long as they actually have an idea of what they are talking about, no problem. It becomes boring and tiring when the person in cause combines the indifference with the ignorance and sometimes, he adds, to this two minuses, even the bad-will. In these conditions, a honest dialogue is no longer possible.

No I wasn't relating to your own particular Christian beliefs at the time, I'm simply claiming generally that my motives are honest and that, should I nevertheless ultimately be wrong, then it would be petty, arbitrary and pointless to punish me for it, perhaps eternally. "I told you so" would do imo.

Well now you know that God doesn't punish you with hell, since you have a better understanding of what hell is (if it exists).

"Sin" however is imo unreal and arbitrary doctrine, a religious construct with no real purpose other than to implant guilt and remorse into believers.

I noticed that you have more opinions, than actual, punctual knowledge about what christianity is.
However, you are not wrong when you say that sin is supposed to make the christian feel guilty. And you can point, of course, at what moment in the christian history, "sin" has ceased to be understood (by some christians) as an ontological disease and started to be perceived as an offense to God, and thus making the christian be guilty in front of God, or justified(?).

I'm an agnostic atheist because I don't claim to know that no god exists, but I don't believe that any do. I don't understand how anyone can honestly claim to be a gnostic theist or indeed gnostic atheist, nobody actually does know nor do you, because it probably isn't possible to know.

I am eastern orthodox christian. I believe that Christ is God incarnated. Not too hard to understand, I hope.

Well, you talked about babies and love, is it a baby at conception or does it have to develop some physical capacity first to arguably become a person to love rather than just a few human cells, that could potentially become a future person to love?

Ask your mother what she felt when she got pregnant with you. She might enlighten you better than me. :)

I simply think that your concept of love is perhaps all fuzzy and warm but actually isn't particularly well thought through, not for real world practical purposes anyway. :plain:

Interesting how you perceive me. I guess this perception comes from our different cultural backgrounds. In my country, for example, the letter that this mom wrote to her future aborted baby, would be considered by most of people as a cynical (in essence) letter covered with fuzzy, warm, weird type of compassion (in form).

Also, love (and beauty) isn't serving a practical purpose, that's why most people don't understand it :).

alwight

Don't take it as an arrogance from my part, but I have to note that you ignore what a parable (whether christian or not) is (because you call it "a rather simplistic story").
I let you alone discover the beauty and richness of a parable (if you are curious, of course).
Rather patronising, but never mind I'll survive. ;)

I am not sure where did you see an implied christian assumption that you would pass by the human suffering...
Now that you said this, it is even clearer for me that, not only you don't know what a parable is, but you don't know the parable of the Good Samaritan either. Maybe you heard about it, but never read it.
Anyway, if you are interested to read it, you know where you can ind it.
I'm not sure it's me who doesn't know what a parable is, but didn't the robbed traveller get passed by, by the locals, who may have been his own people? The story clearly anticipates what the normal person in the street's reaction would be and that it took an act of kindness by someone who wouldn't normally have been treated kindly himself to come to the rescue? I think it suggests that perhaps someone like me would have typically walked by a mugged person in the street, which I wouldn't btw and why I rather resent it these days. When it was first told to me at school I simply accepted it on face value of course, but not any more.

...I wonder if, in general, when you read a story, a novel, a poem etc. you suspect the teller/the writer of "condescension", or other hidden, mean intentions that have the purpose to make you feel guilty about something...
Not normally no, but I regard the Bible as a religious doctrine based on a premise I don't believe in rather than something to be believed, which is why I'm a sceptic.

I am aware that for a lot of Americans, the Eastern Orthodox Church (the faith -of more than 2000 years- of the Romanians, Russians, Ukrainians, Serbians, Bulgarians, Greeks etc.) is a sort of catholic variation, a combination between christianity and hellenism or a weird, mystic, anonymous gospel.
I don't know of many Eastern Orthodox Christians on this forum, but I know that Roman Catholics here often seem to get a harder time than atheists. There's nothing worse apparently than someone proclaiming what is considered a false or corrupt version of Christianity.

See? That's what bothers me about a lot of Americans (whether christian, theist, atheist and whatever): that they make assumptions, speculations, ignorant remarks about what other people believe or where they come from instead of simply asking "hey, what is that you believe?", "what kind of christian are you?" or "what church do you belong to?".
Yes, specific beliefs have to be sounded out here, and since atheists don't really have any :rolleyes: then there is rather less suspicion perhaps than with someone following the "wrong" version of Christianity.

It is not a shame to admit that you don't know, it is actually proof of honesty, simplicity and good-willing.
I'm with you here, I don't know a lot.;)

No...theology doesn't typically relate to doctrine/philosophy based in a belief in god(s). Theology is the study of God (not gods), a systematic, separatist, rationalist study that was started by the western christian (soon to become roman-catholic) scholars and continued by protestant scholars.
Hindus, buddhists, shintoists and all the eastern cultures don't have "theology", but philosophies.
I would agree that theology is typically more commonly about the Judaic/Christian God but I don't agree that it is exclusively. Theos is just the Greek word for God or indeed a god, so I don't think it would be right to claim the word "theology" as your own.

It is not, of course, a secret for anyone that the universities (the place where each intellectual and spiritual preoccupation is studied as a science, in a separate way) are 100% the western christian invention.
All the people and cultures of the world had (and still have) music, for example, but only the christians from the western Europe made a systematic study/science of music. The same thing they (the westerners) did with God: they invented theology (they tried to submit God, the unlimited, to a rational and intellectualist study; they were wrong, in my opinion; however, this doesn't change the fact that precisely this erroneous understanding of God lead them to a certain discipline and to a social, political, cultural development).
I'll stick to what I said above but I don't dispute what you say here.

Well now you know that God doesn't punish you with hell, since you have a better understanding of what hell is (if it exists).
I don't believe in any version of hell and never have, while a God I don't believe exists isn't going to do anything imo.

I noticed that you have more opinions, than actual, punctual knowledge about what christianity is.
It has to be an opinion, who exactly is a true Christian anyway, you?

However, you are not wrong when you say that sin is supposed to make the christian feel guilty. And you can point, of course, at what moment in the christian history, "sin" has ceased to be understood (by some christians) as an ontological disease and started to be perceived as an offense to God, and thus making the christian be guilty in front of God, or justified(?).
Do you believe in original sin?

I am eastern orthodox christian. I believe that Christ is God incarnated. Not too hard to understand, I hope.
Do you believe in the Holy Trinity?

Ask your mother what she felt when she got pregnant with you. She might enlighten you better than me. :)
It's women who will normally be the one who decides to have an abortion.

Interesting how you perceive me. I guess this perception comes from our different cultural backgrounds. In my country, for example, the letter that this mom wrote to her future aborted baby, would be considered by most of people as a cynical (in essence) letter covered with fuzzy, warm, weird type of compassion (in form).
I think there is a mixed message in the OP, I'm not sure of the actual intent or feeling. Did she considered it an actual person or just a potential person?

Also, love (and beauty) isn't serving a practical purpose, that's why most people don't understand it :).
But you do? :think:

Simona88

Rather patronising, but never mind I'll survive. ;)

It's the truth. You don't know what a parable is.

I'm not sure it's me who doesn't know what a parable is,

It's you.

The story clearly anticipates what the normal person in the street's reaction would be and that it took an act of kindness by someone who wouldn't normally have been treated kindly himself to come to the rescue?

The story is an answer from Christ to the question "who is my neighbor?" that His disciples posed to Him.

(is it or not, that you didn't follow my advice to actually read the parable?).

I think it suggests that perhaps someone like me would have typically walked by a mugged person in the street, which I wouldn't btw and why I rather resent it these days. When it was first told to me at school I simply accepted it on face value of course, but not any more.

Usually, it was the pharisees who sometimes felt that the parables were about them (they didn't like that the truth about them may come to light; that's why they hated Christ and eventually, killed Him).

Not normally no, but I regard the Bible as a religious doctrine based on a premise I don't believe in rather than something to be believed, which is why I'm a sceptic.

Good. Because I was starting to suspect you of frustration and complex of inferiority.

I don't know of many Eastern Orthodox Christians on this forum, but I know that Roman Catholics here often seem to get a harder time than atheists. There's nothing worse apparently than someone proclaiming what is considered a false or corrupt version of Christianity.

I also believe that falsified christianity is more dangerous than atheism.

Yes, specific beliefs have to be sounded out here, and since atheists don't really have any :rolleyes: then there is rather less suspicion perhaps than with someone following the "wrong" version of Christianity.

Good. So, next time, you will ask your interlocutor who he is, instead of making assumptions about him.

I'm with you here, I don't know a lot.;)

Finally. According to Socrates (and I agree with him), intelligence starts when you admit that you don't know.

I would agree that theology is typically more commonly about the Judaic/Christian God but I don't agree that it is exclusively. Theos is just the Greek word for God or indeed a god, so I don't think it would be right to claim the word "theology" as your own.

You don't have to agree. It's how it is.

I don't believe in any version of hell and never have, while a God I don't believe exists isn't going to do anything imo.

Didn't even implied that you believed in hell. I only picked on your misunderstanding on hell, not on your belief/disbelief in hell, remember?

It has to be an opinion, who exactly is a true Christian anyway, you?

What does the fact that you ignore most of the christian teachings and ecclesiological life has to do with whether I am a true christian or not?

Do you believe in original sin?

Not how Augustin understood it.

Do you believe in the Holy Trinity?

Since I'am an eastern orthodox christian...of course, I do.

It's women who will normally be the one who decides to have an abortion.

So? Since I last checked, your mother (just like any mother) should be a woman...
Have a discussion with her about what she felt when she found out she was pregnant with you.

I think there is a mixed message in the OP, I'm not sure of the actual intent or feeling. Did she considered it an actual person or just a potential person?

It's the same intent and feeling that the french people (from the novel "The Idiot") had before condemning to death (by guillotine) a person; they would offer to the convicted a good, rich meal (maybe as a consolation prize).

But you do? :think:

I think I start to understand the beauty of Jesus Christ (Whose love for people is anything but fuzzy and warm).

alwight

It's the truth. You don't know what a parable is.

It's you.
I see, apparently then you are the arbiter of what is true, silly of me not to have realised. :doh:

The story is an answer from Christ to the question "who is my neighbor?" that His disciples posed to Him.
That doesn't change my opinion about what it is, a "just-so" story.

(is it or not, that you didn't follow my advice to actually read the parable?).
I'm quite used to some Christians claiming to know what I think or in this case read, but then I notice that you seem to think it's me making assumptions about you, which actually isn't true btw.

Usually, it was the pharisees who sometimes felt that the parables were about them (they didn't like that the truth about them may come to light; that's why they hated Christ and eventually, killed Him).
As I understand it the Romans actually killed Jesus because that's what the Jews in the crowd wanted to happen, clearly you haven't actually read the gospels. :plain:

Good. Because I was starting to suspect you of frustration and complex of inferiority.
I'm rather suspecting you of trying to troll me now?
Btw it's more usual to say "inferiority complex" in English not "complex of inferiority". ;)

I also believe that falsified christianity is more dangerous than atheism.
How do you tell false Christianity from the true version?
If it's not a part of what you believe then it's therefore false perhaps?

Good. So, next time, you will ask your interlocutor who he is, instead of making assumptions about him.
What assumption did I make about you? I was actually talking to someone else initially whom, I suspect, you have no idea what I already do or don't know about their beliefs and version of hell.

Finally. According to Socrates (and I agree with him), intelligence starts when you admit that you don't know.
I'm sure that Socrates would be much relieved to know that he meets with your approval.
(It's always worth randomly throwing in a Greek philosopher or two. :rolleyes:)

You don't have to agree. It's how it is.
Thanks for all the advice. :rolleyes:

Didn't even implied that you believed in hell. I only picked on your misunderstanding on hell, not on your belief/disbelief in hell, remember?
Whose version of hell exactly have I been misunderstanding?
I'm yet to discover yours in any detail, not that you're offering it I've noticed.
You react as if all Christians have the same idea of hell or do you simply presume it is whatever you think it is?

What does the fact that you ignore most of the christian teachings and ecclesiological life has to do with whether I am a true christian or not?
While it's true that I may ignore many Christian teachings, not that you would know what is actually a fact, at least I capitalise the "C". Perhaps you aren't a real Christian?

Not how Augustin understood it.
I was asking you actually, but that would be a "no" then or do you want to obfuscate some more?

Since I'am an eastern orthodox christian...of course, I do.
Of course.

So? Since I last checked, your mother (just like any mother) should be a woman...
Have a discussion with her about what she felt when she found out she was pregnant with you.
As I said before, thanks for all the advice.:plain:

It's the same intent and feeling that the french people (from the novel "The Idiot") had before condemning to death (by guillotine) a person; they would offer to the convicted a good, rich meal (maybe as a consolation prize).
Clearly I don't have your deeper understanding of her actual motives or intent before the abortion.
Is abortion always wrong?

I think I start to understand the beauty of Jesus Christ (Whose love for people is anything but fuzzy and warm).
Your understanding is perhaps more profound than other Christians?

Simona88

I see, apparently then you are the arbiter of what is true, silly of me not to have realised. :doh:

Apparently. But in reality, you don't know what a parable is, you only have the opinion that is a "just-so" story.

That doesn't change my opinion about what it is, a "just-so" story.

I know. You have opinions, but no basic cultural knowledge.

I'm quite used to some Christians claiming to know what I think or in this case read, but then I notice that you seem to think it's me making assumptions about you, which actually isn't true btw.

Is it or not that you didn't read the parable?

As I understand it the Romans actually killed Jesus because that's what the Jews in the crowd wanted to happen, clearly you haven't actually read the gospels. :plain:

The Romans didn't feel menaced by Jesus Christ. It was the jews. They hated Him and they ask for His crucification although Pilate didn't see any political menace in Christ (but Pilate was too coward to admit His innocence).

Is it or not that you have no idea of what you're talking about?

I'm rather suspecting you of trying to troll me now?

???

Btw it's more usual to say "inferiority complex" in English not "complex of inferiority". ;)

Got it. Thanks.

How do you tell false Christianity from the true version?

You can follow christianity in history.

If it's not a part of what you believe then it's therefore false perhaps?

If it's not a part of what the Church believes and always had, than yes, it's false.

What assumption did I make about you?

That I was following an anonymous gospel.

I was actually talking to someone else initially whom, I suspect, you have no idea what I already do or don't know about their beliefs and version of hell.

The assumption you made about me has nothing to do with who were you talking initially or what you know (or don't know) about hell.

I'm sure that Socrates would be much relieved to know that he meets with your approval.

Awww...:)
Socrates...the philosopher or the theologian? Because according to your definition of what theology is, there isn't much of a difference between theology and philosophy.

(It's always worth randomly throwing in a Greek philosopher or two. :rolleyes:)

It's always honest attributing the sayings of a philosopher to himself, and not to yourself.

Thanks for all the advice. :rolleyes:

You're very welcomed. Without rolling my eyes.

Whose version of hell exactly have I been misunderstanding?
I'm yet to discover yours in any detail, not that you're offering it I've noticed.

Man, that bold sentence is very disarming. What do you think I have been doing since the moment I started to talk with you?

While it's true that I may ignore many Christian teachings, not that you would know what is actually a fact, at least I capitalise the "C". Perhaps you aren't a real Christian?

Strange conclusion.

I was asking you actually, but that would be a "no" then or do you want to obfuscate some more?

Wrong again. All christians believe that Adam sinned and because of this sin all humanity suffers. But not all christians understand this original sin in the same way. The first christians understood sin as an ontological disease that is passed from Adam to his descendants. People partake with Adam's sin not because they are guilty with Adam (like the catholics believe), but simply because they are born from a sinner.

Clearly I don't have your deeper understanding of her actual motives or intent before the abortion.

Clearly you didn't read the op post.

Is abortion always wrong?

Do you remember that I said earlier that abortion is, at least for me, a matter of death and life, and not of right and wrong?

Your understanding is perhaps more profound than other Christians?

Than other Christians, I don't know. Than yours, in particular, I am sure it is.

P.S.: what age are you? I started to get the feeling that I am talking with a 15 years old person.

alwight

Apparently. But in reality, you don't know what a parable is, you only have the opinion that is a "just-so" story.
You are entitled to your opinion, but it being factual or not is a probably a rather different matter altogether.

I know. You have opinions, but no basic cultural knowledge.
Perhaps you are just a bit miffed about my referring to certain Biblical tracts as "just-so" stories.
The truth hurts perhaps?

Is it or not that you didn't read the parable?
I'm sure I was probably made to read it at one time. :think:

The Romans didn't feel menaced by Jesus Christ. It was the jews. They hated Him and they ask for His crucification although Pilate didn't see any political menace in Christ (but Pilate was too coward to admit His innocence).
You presumably think that the Pharisees were still controlling things even when it was the Jewish crowd who actually decided it was Jesus who would die?
Perhaps that's a theological moot point that I'll leave to theologians to philosophise over.

Is it or not that you have no idea of what you're talking about?
I'm quite content to remain a rubbish theologian.

I thought you were trying to be a touch abrasive, maybe that will change?

Got it. Thanks.
:e4e:

You can follow christianity in history.
Yes, but I would have preferred something more specific than that?

If it's not a part of what the Church believes and always had, than yes, it's false.
Which church specifically?
Are they all correct?

What assumption did I make about you?
That I was following an anonymous gospel.
I don't recall saying that, show me where. :liberals:
I do remember you objecting to a version of hell that I had presented which btw is one often presumed as true around here if not by you.

Edit: That the Gospels are written by anonymous evangelists is what I actually said, which is something accepted by most theologians.

The assumption you made about me has nothing to do with who were you talking initially or what you know (or don't know) about hell.
I think you are mistaken, I made no assumptions of you at all. If you are taking any criticisms I may make about Christian doctrine or beliefs personally then I really can't do much about that.

Awww...:)
Socrates...the philosopher or the theologian? Because according to your definition of what theology is, there isn't much of a difference between theology and philosophy.
Yes, back in the days of Isaac Newton science and theology were pretty much the same thing called "Natural Philosophy". Perhaps these days people tend to specialise rather more, since science has no use for a supernatural, but I think that theology can still be considered a type of philosophy.

It's always honest attributing the sayings of a philosopher to himself, and not to yourself.
Quite right of course. :)

You're very welcomed. Without rolling my eyes.
I still haven't quite decided if you are deliberately being condescending and patronising or if you just are a condescending and patronising person? :liberals:

Man, that bold sentence is very disarming. What do you think I have been doing since the moment I started to talk with you?
Well, you've not exactly enlightened me any as to what specifically you think hell is, care to have another go?
Hell not being love or any such thing doesn't really do much for my understanding, but we can dismiss the whole lake of fire thing I gather?
Do you believe it is it an actual place say?
Do people spend eternity there?
Not vague and fuzzy enough for you maybe?

Strange conclusion.
That you might not be a true Christian?
What is a true Christian?
Something else you don't want to be too clear about it seems.

Wrong again. All christians believe that Adam sinned and because of this sin all humanity suffers. But not all christians understand this original sin in the same way. The first christians understood sin as an ontological disease that is passed from Adam to his descendants. People partake with Adam's sin not because they are guilty with Adam (like the catholics believe), but simply because they are born from a sinner.
But it's still not at all clear what you do believe.
Adam and Eve literally true?
Did Adam live over 900 years?
Has life been degenerating since his time which explains most of the ills and woes of life created by a supposedly perfect God or not?
I predict you'll continue to duck and weave.

Clearly you didn't read the op post.
You seem to make plenty of inaccurate assumption about me.

Do you remember that I said earlier that abortion is, at least for me, a matter of death and life, and not of right and wrong?
Sorry not good enough, in real world situations where abortion choices are or have to be made, what specifically would you do? Condemn, support or just prevaricate endlessly?

Than other Christians, I don't know. Than yours, in particular, I am sure it is.

P.S.: what age are you? I started to get the feeling that I am talking with a 15 years old person.
Now you're just being childish and trying to be deliberately insulting, I wonder just how old you are Simona88?
Is that a girls name? I presume you aren't 88 are you?
You seem to think that you know it all, confidence of youth? But one day with experience you'll probably find out that you really don't know squat. :plain:

26? :think:

Last edited:

IMJerusha

Well, here, let me try this again:

But maybe I don't think I'm drowning?

You don't right now, but you're not breathing your last. Who knows, perhaps God will grant you a death wherein you still have your mental faculties and will finally sense the drowning. In those moments you may be able to understand and finally turn to Him and have the presence of mind, and time, to accept His Son as well. But what happens if death comes swiftly? Oh well....can't say He didn't send you a rowboat!

alwight

Well, here, let me try this again:

You don't right now, but you're not breathing your last. Who knows, perhaps God will grant you a death wherein you still have your mental faculties and will finally sense the drowning. In those moments you may be able to understand and finally turn to Him and have the presence of mind, and time, to accept His Son as well. But what happens if death comes swiftly? Oh well....can't say He didn't send you a rowboat!
Death is just a part of life IMJ, I can accept that, but I don't want to go too soon. Nobody lives forever, even those who currently can delude themselves that they will.:plain:

Simona88

You are entitled to your opinion, but it being factual or not is a probably a rather different matter altogether.

No, sir. If my opinion of an, let's say, argumentative speech is that the argumentative speech is a "just-so" story, or that it is a poem, that doesn't mean that an argumentative speech is what I believe (ignorantly) that it is.
You seem to not understand this basic fact.
So, once again, you don't know what a parable is.

Perhaps you are just a bit miffed about my referring to certain Biblical tracts as "just-so" stories.
The truth hurts perhaps?

The truth that you don't know what a parable is? No, it doesn't hurt me.
I will give you two hints: 1. the parable is not a biblical "just-so" story; 2. the parable is not the invention of Jesus Christ.

I'm sure I was probably made to read it at one time. :think:

Finally, a punctual answer. So, you didn't follow my advice to read it one more time and see that its intent is not at all to make you feel guilty.

IYou presumably think that the Pharisees were still controlling things even when it was the Jewish crowd who actually decided it was Jesus who would die?
Perhaps that's a theological moot point that I'll leave to theologians to philosophise over.

Doesn't have anything to do with what I said.

I'm quite content to remain a rubbish theologian.

Good. You could say that about your historical knowledge also. You wouldn't be lying.

Yes, but I would have preferred something more specific than that?

Aww...you want me to spoon-feed you?
No, no. I gave you hints. I mentioned Augustin. You do the work (if you are interested).

Which church specifically?
Are they all correct?

There is only One Church. Follow the history of christianity; it can't lead you to Joseph Smith, or other local pastor from Bubba's butt Arkansas.

Edit: That the Gospels are written by anonymous evangelists is what I actually said, which is something accepted by most theologians.

Let me remind you what you said:

Originally Posted by alwight
"But you personally don't actually seem to know how real Biblical hell is, or even if it exists at all in a real sense? You simply seem to accept what an anonymous gospel evangelist has written concerning Jesus Christ some decades after the claimed events?
Originally Posted by alwight

You said that I, PERSONALLY, don't know what the biblical hell is and I just follow what an anonymous gospel evangelist has written.

I don't follow an "anonymous" evangelist. I follow the Christian Church.

Yes, back in the days of Isaac Newton science and theology were pretty much the same thing called "Natural Philosophy". Perhaps these days people tend to specialise rather more, since science has no use for a supernatural, but I think that theology can still be considered a type of philosophy.

:)))))
So, for you, Socrates, Buddha, Gandhi, Aristotle are theologians while Augustin of Hippo, Anselm of Canterbury, Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin are mystic philosophers.

(Buddha the theologian and Calvin the mystic thinker, hi, hi :)))).

Good one, old man. You gave me a good laugh!

Quite right of course. :)

Now, that is a relief!
Alwight (the theologian or the philosopher?) agrees with me.

I still haven't quite decided if you are deliberately being condescending and patronising or if you just are a condescending and patronising person? :liberals:

I don't know...it's up to you to decide. I only want to tell you that I like you a lot. Because you made me laugh earlier.

Well, you've not exactly enlightened me any as to what specifically you think hell is, care to have another go?
Hell not being love or any such thing doesn't really do much for my understanding, but we can dismiss the whole lake of fire thing I gather?

...read posts number 116, 118...

That you might not be a true Christian?
What is a true Christian?
Something else you don't want to be too clear about it seems.

Don't you believe that it is strange to give certificates of true christian based on how people write the word "christian"?

(Are you taking some sort of medicine for old age? Because if you do, they don't seem to be of much help)

Has life been degenerating since his time which explains most of the ills and woes of life created by a supposedly perfect God or not?

You are very slow in processing the information. I already gave you the explanation for ill and death since I said that sin is perceived by christians as an ontological disease (!) that leads to death.

I predict you'll continue to duck and weave.

I'm not your nurse. I'm not gonna spoon-feed you. :)

You seem to make plenty of inaccurate assumption about me.

Can you imagine I thought you were a 15 years old boy? :)))))))

Sorry not good enough, in real world situations where abortion choices are or have to be made, what specifically would you do? Condemn, support or just prevaricate endlessly?

I already answered you. I wouldn't condemn, neither support it.
Abortion means death. I am a christian. I am against death.

Christ is risen!

Now you're just being childish and trying to be deliberately insulting, I wonder just how old you are Simona88?
Is that a girls name? I presume you aren't 88 are you?

You presume very good: I am a woman, my name is Simona (pronounced "See-mo-na") and I was born in '88.

You seem to think that you know it all, confidence of youth? But one day with experience you'll probably find out that you really don't squat. :plain:

Squat seems like a funny, uncomfortable position. You squat Alwight?

No one should squat. In life we stand, we sit, we fall, we kneel, we stand up again.
I'm not so much afraid about squating as I am frightened of heading like a crazy towards my death.

Yes, I am definitely against death!

26? :think:

Unless I was born in 1888 and not 1988 :)))))))

alwight

Squat seems like a funny, uncomfortable position. You squat Alwight?

No one should squat. In life we stand, we sit, we fall, we kneel, we stand up again.
I'm not so much afraid about squating as I am frightened of heading like a crazy towards my death.

Yes, I am definitely against death!

Unless I was born in 1888 and not 1988 :)))))))
Sorry about that but I have added a missing word since you took a copy, which might help with understanding. If you "don't know squat" it is supposed to mean that you "know nothing", or "don't know anything". ;)
If you want to add anything now go ahead, I may not get to the rest of your post for a few hours.