Matthew 12:40

Status
Not open for further replies.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
How many times is paraskeue used in the NT and which NT scripture relates it to the sixth day of the week. Let's take a look at that verse.

Luk 23:52 This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus.
Luk 23:53 And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.

Luk 23:54 And that day was the preparation[paraskeue], and the sabbath drew on.

It was the eve of the weekly Sabbath and the lights were already lit in the homes as was necessary before the Sabbath began.
Note the use of the word 'paraskeue', here in verse 54.
Why is it not also used in 23:56 and in 24:1?
Or why is 'hetoimazo' not used in all three places?

Luk 23:55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.

The women followed to the tomb, just before sundown, the 'paraskeue' of the Sabbath.

Luk 23:56 And they returned, and prepared[2090-hetoimazo] spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

Then they returned to wherever they were staying in Jerusalem and prepared[hetoimazo, not paraskeue] things to carry to the tomb after the weekly Sabbath was past. This also had to be done before sundown.

Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared[hetoimazo-2090], and certain others with them.

After the seventh day Sabbath was past, they were then free to return to the tomb to minister to the body the things that they had prepared before the Sabbath. This took place early in the morning on the first day of the week.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Ok, so we have established that Jesus was crucified on Preparation Day and the Sabbath drew on. What does drew on mean? From what Greek word is drew on translated?

I know when I draw on my coat that means I put it on. Is that what you mean?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Have we agreed that Jesus was crucified on the Passover Preparation Day?

Nope.
Jesus ate the Passover with His disciples at the appointed time for all Israel.

He was crucified on the 15th, which was the 'paraskeue' for the weekly Sabbath.

The 'hetoimazo' for the Passover, the day they killed the lambs, was on the 14th as it says here:

Luk 22:7 Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed.
Luk 22:8 And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare[hetoimazo] us the passover[pascha/pesach], that we may eat.

Really......how can you not see this?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
He was crucified on the 15th, which was the 'paraskeue' for the weekly Sabbath.

I keep asking what verse are you referring to that says paraskeue is the sixth day of the week?

Do you not realize that a Sabbath can be any day of the week?

The term "paraskeue" can refer to Wednesday just as easy as it can refer to Friday. Show me where paraskeue is defined in the NT as the sixth day of the week.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

You said, "It was the eve of the weekly Sabbath and the lights were already lit in the homes as was necessary before the Sabbath began."

"kai hēmera ēn paraskeuē kai sabbaton epiphōskō" (Luke 23:54)

Now which of these Greek words are you claiming means weekly?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Ok, so we have established that Jesus was crucified on Preparation Day and the Sabbath drew on. What does drew on mean? From what Greek word is drew on translated?

I know when I draw on my coat that means I put it on. Is that what you mean?

Luk 23:54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on[epiphosko].

epiphosko- shined forth

"three things a man is obliged to say in the midst of his house on the evening of the sabbath, when it is near dark, have ye tithed? have ye mixed? (i.e. the borders of the sabbath, the courts and food) הדליקו הנר, "light the lamp".''

"the lighting of the lamp on the sabbath is not in a man's power, (or at his liberty,) if he pleases he may light, and if not, he may not light.----But it is what he is obliged to, and every man and woman are bound to have in their houses a lamp lighted up on the sabbath; and though he has nothing to eat, he must beg, and get oil, and light a lamp; for this is included in the delight of the sabbath.----And he that lights, ought to light within the day, before the setting of the sun.''

So that when these lamps were every where lighting, before the sun was set, and the sabbath properly come, it might be said to draw on, or to be shining forth. Besides, it was usual to call the evening of any day by the name of "light"

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

epiphosko- shined forth

So are you saying that in a figurative sense a new day dawned as Jesus was laid in the tomb?

Epiphosko is translated dawn in Matthew 28:1.

Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn... (Matthew 28:1)

So is it possible that epiphosko can mean dawn?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
It's like I said, burial as Thursdy began and resurrection as Sunday began. Nothing else works but you gave it a nice try.

The problem with your theory is that Jesus was not buried on Friday, so there goes the three days sign.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Then came the Day of Unleavened Bread when the Passover must be killed. (Luke 22:7)​

The day of the Unleavened Bread festival when the Passover is killed is the Preparation Day.

The Passover is killed the afternoon of the 14th, dressed out, taken home, roasted and eaten that night after sundown.

Jesus and his disciples did not keep the Passover they kept this Passover. Scripture does not say what they ate but after supper Jesus instituted this Passover, the one for the church.

Paul said, "For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth." (1 Corinthians 5:7-8)

The church is prohibited from keeping Israel's Passover so Jesus instituted a new covenant Passover for the church. Jesus had to keep his Passover a night early because he was to be the Passover to be sacrificed the next day when the Mosaic Passovers were sacrificed.

If they didn't know that Jesus was inventing a new passover why would they ask him on the wrong day?
And why would the dude who's house they went to not say, hey, 'yer a little early aint yuh?

before you answer dont forget this post.
Now on the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying to Him, “Where do You want us to prepare for You to eat the Passover?” (Matthew 26:17)

The Greek reads de prōtos azymos.

The words "day of the Feast" are not in the Greek text and the translation is misleading. What is actually being said is at the beginning of Unleavened Bread the disciples asked Jesus where he would eat the Passover.

The Passover is eaten the night that begins Unleavened Bread. The disciples did not understand that Jesus would be betrayed into the hands of the Jewish leaders and would in fact become the Lamb of God.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Matthew 26:17 KJV
Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?

Mark 14:12 KJV
And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

Make up my mind please. :wazzup:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I keep asking what verse are you referring to that says paraskeue is the sixth day of the week?

Do you not realize that a Sabbath can be any day of the week?

The term "paraskeue" can refer to Wednesday just as easy as it can refer to Friday. Show me where paraskeue is defined in the NT as the sixth day of the week.

There are four days accounted for in the gospel narratives.
Counting backwards from the first day of the week, there is the First in which He rose, then the Seventh which is the Sabbath, then the Sixth on which He was crucified and ate the Passover and the FiFTH on which the Passover Lambs were killed. Paraskeue is plainly the SIXTH.

Show me where another day is accounted for in the chronological order. It 's not there.

FIFTH DAY OF WEEK Nisan 14

Mat 26:17 Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?
Mat 26:18 And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples.
Mat 26:19 And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover.

SIXTH DAY OF WEEK Nisan 15

Mat 26:20 Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve.
Mat 26:21 And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that

Mat 27:1 When the morning was come, all the chief priests and elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death:
Mat 27:2 And when they had bound him, they led him away, and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor.

Mat 27:35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments,

Mat 27:57 When the even was come, there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple:

SEVENTH DAY OF WEEK Nisan 16

Mat 27:62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,

FIRST DAY OF WEEK Nisan 17

Mat 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIFTH DAY OF WEEK NISAN 14

Mar 14:12 And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

SIXTH DAY OF WEEK NISAN 15

Mar 14:17 And in the evening he cometh with the twelve.
Mar 14:18 And as they sat and did eat

Mar 15:1 And straightway in the morning the chief priests held a consultation with the elders and scribes and the whole council, and bound Jesus, and carried him away, and delivered him to Pilate.

Mar 15:25 And it was the third hour, and they crucified him.

Mar 15:42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,

SEVENTH DAY OF WEEK NISAN 16

No verses.

FIRST DAY OF WEEK NISAN 17

Mar 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
Mar 16:2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIFTH DAY OF WEEK NISAN 14

Luk 22:7 Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed.

SIXTH DAY OF WEEK NISAN 15

Luk 22:14 And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him.
Luk 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:

Luk 23:33 And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him

Luk 23:53 And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.
Luk 23:54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.

SEVENTH DAY OF WEEK NISAN 16

Luk 23:56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

FIRST DAY OF WEEK NISAN 17

Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices

All the days are accounted for in the narratives.
Show me where you can add one more day to the chronology.
Cite the verse.
There's not one.

The first day He rose. (This is immovable, so one must start counting from there)
The seventh day He was in the tomb.
The sixth day He was crucified.
The fifth day the lambs were killed.

The lambs were killed on the 14th.(This is immovable so one must count from there)
The Passover was eaten on the 15th. (This is immovable, so count)
Christ was crucified and buried on the 15th.
He rested in the tomb on the 16th.
He rose on the 17th.

Paraskeue is always the preparation for the weekly Sabbath.
By the math in the chronology, paraskeue has to be the sixth day.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Matthew 26:17 KJV
Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?

Mark 14:12 KJV
And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

Make up my mind please. :wazzup:

Are you saying that these don't appear to harmonize?

They do!

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
It's like I said, burial as Thursdy began and resurrection as Sunday began. Nothing else works but you gave it a nice try.

The problem with your theory is that Jesus was not buried on Friday, so there goes the three days sign.

Oh it works. You're just not looking at it and thinking about it.

As I said earlier, if you insist on a literal 72 hours then it's a forgone conclusion and there was no point in our discussing this at all.
But you can't make 72 hours fit the chronological timelines.
Show me an extra day in the narrative. Cite the verse.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

He couldn't be buried on Thursday the 14th and instruct His disciples concerning preparation for eating the Passover.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
You skipped my question.

epiphosko- shined forth

So are you saying that in a figurative sense a new day dawned as Jesus was laid in the tomb?

Epiphosko is translated dawn in Matthew 28:1.

Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn... (Matthew 28:1)

So is it possible that epiphosko can mean dawn?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Christ was crucified and buried on the 15th.

As Jesus was laid in the tomb a new day dawned (epiphosko).

So he was not in the tomb on the day he died.

It was the day of Preparation, and the sabbath was beginning. (Luke 23:54 RSV)​

The word "beginning" is epiphosko.

So he was not in the tomb on the day he died.

Status
Not open for further replies.