Lost in Space

The Berean

Dr. Smith is now a woman? The Dr. Smith character eventually became kind of a bumbling, cowardly, silly character as the original series progressed. But in the pilot and early episodes he was much more menacing and dangerous. Can Parker Posey pull that off?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dr. Smith is now a woman? The Dr. Smith character eventually became kind of a bumbling, cowardly, silly character as the original series progressed. But in the pilot and early episodes he was much more menacing and dangerous. Can Parker Posey pull that off?
I know, I wish Hollywood would quit doing that.
Of course, many that would remember the old series are already dead, so few will hardly notice it's not supposed to be that way.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It looks nothing like the show I remember. Quite fancy!
I think this is supposed to be the dark version.
Going along the lines of most movies these days, like the darker Batman movies compared to the old tv series Batman.

18643381.jpg

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeah, he was rather comical at times at how much of a wuss and coward he was.
His strength was back-stabbing and manipulation and sabotage.
The man you loved to hate!

I think it's a mistake to make his character a woman.
Main reason being is that his character in the show is the one everyone hates, and in general, folks don't tend to hate women villains as intensely as men villains.
So it will be interesting to see what they do with the character as a woman.
I wouldn't have taken the risk for the show, since the villain being a man was proven to work very well.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
As I recall, Dr. Smith started out as a villain and ended up being a more lovable character later on. In fact, eventually, he became the 'show,' along with the Will and the robot. Jonathan Harris wrote his own dialogue for the show and asked that he be presented each week, as a 'Guest Star.' At first, Irwin Allen balked at that idea, but eventually gave in.

The Berean

As I recall, Dr. Smith started out as a villain and ended up being a more lovable character later on. In fact, eventually, he became the 'show,' along with the Will and the robot. Jonathan Harris wrote his own dialogue for the show and asked that he be presented each week, as a 'Guest Star.' At first, Irwin Allen balked at that idea, but eventually gave in.

I don't remember Dr. Smith ever being "lovable". He was hated throughout the series especially by Major Don West who tried to kill Dr. Smith in at least one occasion. I researched Dr. Smith's background and it turns out he's an Air Force officer who worked for a foreign government. His mission was to sabotage the Jupiter 2 mission by killing the entire crew. He killed at least one man to get access the Jupiter 2 but failed in his mission. He became trapped on the Jupiter 2 and his behavior became increasingly bizarre due to the stress of the space voyage.

http://lostinspace.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Smith_(Original_Series_Role)

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I don't remember Dr. Smith ever being "lovable". He was hated throughout the series especially by Major Don West who tried to kill Dr. Smith in at least one occasion. I researched Dr. Smith's background and it turns out he's an Air Force officer who worked for a foreign government. His mission was to sabotage the Jupiter 2 mission by killing the entire crew. He killed at least one man to get access the Jupiter 2 but failed in his mission. He became trapped on the Jupiter 2 and his behavior became increasingly bizarre due to the stress of the space voyage.

http://lostinspace.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Smith_(Original_Series_Role)

I suppose it depends on one's own perception?

The Berean

I suppose it depends on one's own perception?

Well, it has been over 30 years since I watched the show. I do remember than no on in the crew trusted Dr. Smith. Will's parents grew very concerned that Dr. Smith was a very bad influence on Will. Major West HATED Dr. Smith. The robot knew Dr. Smith was not to be trusted. When a robot doesn't trust you, you know that person is wicked. LOL. Dr. Smith was a murderer, a traitor, and master manipulator.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Well, it has been over 30 years since I watched the show. I do remember than no on in the crew trusted Dr. Smith. Will's parents grew very concerned that Dr. Smith was a very bad influence on Will. Major West HATED Dr. Smith. The robot knew Dr. Smith was not to be trusted. When a robot doesn't trust you, you know that person is wicked. LOL. Dr. Smith was a murderer, a traitor, and master manipulator.

As long as he WASN'T a far-left zealot, I'm okay with him.