Lost in Space

genuineoriginal

I think this is supposed to be the dark version.
Is that why Major West is a Hispanic man and Judy Robinson is a Black woman?
Why does this matter?
I asked if the change in race was done to make the reboot "darker" than the original that had an all white cast.

This does bring up the question of why two white parents have two white children and one black child.
Genetically this makes no sense.
If the only reason for this change was to blackwash the series, then that is too stupid of a reason to let it go without protest.

Urban Dictionary: Blackwash
When an established character is turned black for no reason other than to diversify the cast. It is the opposite of whitewashing, and is normally not ever complained about.​

Fantastic Four 2015 changed the Storm family into a black family that adopted a white girl.
The decision to have Susan Storm as a white girl in a black family was a stupid idea, she should have been a black girl who was the biological daughter of Franklin Storm and the biological sister of Johnny Storm.
In the same manner, the decision to have Judy Robinson as a black girl in a white family is also a stupid idea.
They should have made either Dr. Maureen Robinson or Dr. John Robinson as a black person and the three children as mixed race instead of making Judy Robinson the only black child in an all white family.

The Berean

I asked if the change in race was done to make the reboot "darker" than the original that had an all white cast.

This does bring up the question of why two white parents have two white children and one black child.
Genetically this makes no sense.
If the only reason for this change was to blackwash the series, then that is too stupid of a reason to let it go without protest.

Urban Dictionary: Blackwash
When an established character is turned black for no reason other than to diversify the cast. It is the opposite of whitewashing, and is normally not ever complained about.​

Fantastic Four 2015 changed the Storm family into a black family that adopted a white girl.
The decision to have Susan Storm as a white girl in a black family was a stupid idea, she should have been a black girl who was the biological daughter of Franklin Storm and the biological sister of Johnny Storm.
In the same manner, the decision to have Judy Robinson as a black girl in a white family is also a stupid idea.
They should have made either Dr. Maureen Robinson or Dr. John Robinson as a black person and the three children as mixed race instead of making Judy Robinson the only black child in an all white family.
Or it could be Judy is adopted? Lets wait and see if there is an explanation given. In the end who cares? I've never seen the Fantastic Four film.

genuineoriginal

Or it could be Judy is adopted? Lets wait and see if there is an explanation given.
It would have been better to have rewritten Judy so she was not one of the Robinson family instead of trying to force diversity by writing her as being adopted.
In the series, Judy never really seemed to be part of the family, making her both adopted and of a different race just makes that problem worse.

In the end who cares?
People that think it is stupid to force diversity into remakes will care.
If they wanted to make the cast diverse, there were better ways to do it than to make a single child a different race than the rest of the family.

Dr. Smith's gender was changed, Major West's race was changed, nobody cares.
Judy being the only adopted child and the only black child of a white family will be objected to because it is obviously done for no reason other than to force diversity into an all white family.

The Characters of Lost In Space
Judy Robinson is the eldest child in the Robinson family and is in love with Major Don West.​
The adopted black girl is in love with the Hispanic man?
These are the only non-white characters of the main cast?
It was a stupid decision.

If they wanted to have one of the children as adopted and a different race, it should have been Penny Robinson or Will Robinson or both, not Judy.
Penny and Will got more screen time in the series than Judy did because they were interesting and Judy was boring.

The Berean

It would have been better to have rewritten Judy so she was not one of the Robinson family instead of trying to force diversity by writing her as being adopted.
In the series, Judy never really seemed to be part of the family, making her both adopted and of a different race just makes that problem worse.
Why is this a problem? It's not a problem to me.

And and those tend to be people who look for things to offend them.

If they wanted to make the cast diverse, there were better ways to do it than to make a single child a different race than the rest of the family.
Again, since we do not know the new Judy's background story maybe we shouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.

Dr. Smith's gender was changed, Major West's race was changed, nobody cares.
Don West's race was not changed. "Hispanic" is not a race. Besides the actor portraying Don West is from Argentina and is very much a white man. Here are the three Don Wests. They all look pretty white to me.

View attachment 26331 View attachment 26332 View attachment 26333

Judy being the only adopted child and the only black child of a white family will be objected to because it is obviously done for no reason other than to force diversity into an all white family.
Obviously? I think you are jumping to a premature conclusion. Even if that were the SOLE reason so what?

The Characters of Lost In Space
Judy Robinson is the eldest child in the Robinson family and is in love with Major Don West.​
The adopted black girl is in love with the Hispanic man?
These are the only non-white characters of the main cast?
It was a stupid decision.
Again, the new Don West IS portrayed by a white man.

If they wanted to have one of the children as adopted and a different race, it should have been Penny Robinson or Will Robinson or both, not Judy.
Penny and Will got more screen time in the series than Judy did because they were interesting and Judy was boring.
I guess we'll have to see how this character dynamic plays out.

genuineoriginal

And and those tend to be people who look for things to offend them.
Some idiot was offended that the entire Robinson family were white, so they changed the race of one of them from white to black.
The idiots that do things like that are the ones that are looking for things to offend them.
The people that object to the stupidity of changing race for no other reason than to make the cast meet some idiot's standard of "diversity" are not the ones looking for things to offend them.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I don't believe that 'reimagining' a movie or old TV show is necessarily a guarantee the 'new' version will be a success. Look what they did to 'The Wild Wild West,' wasn't that a real mess and a half? Not to mention what destruction they did to 'The Avengers.' What they did to 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' is nothing less than, criminal.

The Berean

I don't believe that 'reimagining' a movie or old TV show is necessarily a guarantee the 'new' version will be a success. Look what they did to 'The Wild Wild West,' wasn't that a real mess and a half? Not to mention what destruction they did to 'The Avengers.' What they did to 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' is nothing less than, criminal.

Yes, those were terrible films. Will Smith was completely miscast in "The Wild Wild West". I may be biased because I really like Robert Conrad as an actor. There have been some successful updates to shows. The new Battlestar Galactica was brilliant.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I will say the re-imagining of the Robot is very clever. It looks very alien, imposing, and kind of scary. I get the sense that the family, other than Will, will not warm up to it quickly because they do not know anything about it; where it comes from, what is its true intentions, is it dangerous, etc.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...er,h_675,q_80,w_1200/eq3kkfvddfk2xtjvehi8.gif
The robot was the main reason I watched the show.
7035.gif