Knight, you look like a cigar smoking Las Vegas night club owner, change your image

Gsusis

Evil is the intention or effect of causing harm or destruction[citation needed], usually specifically from the perception of deliberately violating some moral code. Evil is usually seen as the opposite of good. The philosophical question of whether morality is absolute or relative leads to questions about the nature of evil, with views falling into one of four opposed camps: moral absolutism, amoralism, moral relativism, and moral universalism.(Wikipedia)
Appearance: a sense impression or aspect of a thing (Webster)
We would all agree that genocide, the use of child labor and the molestation of little children are all examples of evil, correct? Appearance of evil is not actually doing something evil, and is usually determined by the social atmosphere at the time but presently society has sunk into a mire of quicksand, slowly, with the propulsion of God from everything Governing and Social; with the slaughter of innocent lives daily leading to the devaluing of human beings; and my favorite - the all mighty dollar always at the bottom of every decision that any board, institution, or organization makes (why cannot the right thing to do be the right thing to do regardless of the cost). OK, I'm rambling.
The appearance of evil is to not actually do something evil, it is to do something that legitimately gives the impression to someone else of wrong doing. We are our brothers keepers and if abstaining from alcohol or meat offered to idols saves another individual from going off the deep end then I am beholding to him to refrain, because his mental well being is more important than my luxury. Real world example - I'm married, I cannot go to dinner with another female alone because it has the appearance of adultery and the devil is a roaring lion roaming around seeking whom he may devour; and, I don't want to put that added strain on my wife, she deserves complete devotion.
Looking like the enemy: *For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. The enemy is anything that causes us to doubt the existence of God or corrupt the quality of life that should be ours, in Christ. Yes I believe that about 89% of all secular music is one of the subtlest forms of destruction that has led to the deterioration of the quality of life that was to be ours in Christ. It promotes Self and not the denial of self, death to self, nor the insane idea of taking up the cross and doing something for someone else and not ourselves. Cigars, not so much, but the posturing that that and the youths music of today promotes deceives youth into believing they are rebels with a cause when they are merely reacting out of selfishness and have never actually learned delayed gratification.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Appearances of evil is also the responsibility of those "to whom much is given much is required" and if you are going to represent the Lord why do you want to look like the enemy.

I think Knight's avatar is fine...Besides that you do not know the man behind it.

But I did change my avatar, I do that every once in awhile.

Samstarrett

Evil is the intention or effect of causing harm or destruction[citation needed], usually specifically from the perception of deliberately violating some moral code. Evil is usually seen as the opposite of good. The philosophical question of whether morality is absolute or relative leads to questions about the nature of evil, with views falling into one of four opposed camps: moral absolutism, amoralism, moral relativism, and moral universalism.(Wikipedia)
We would all agree that genocide, the use of child labor and the molestation of little children are all examples of evil, correct? Appearance of evil is not actually doing something evil, and is usually determined by the social atmosphere at the time but presently society has sunk into a mire of quicksand, slowly, with the propulsion of God from everything Governing and Social; with the slaughter of innocent lives daily leading to the devaluing of human beings; and my favorite - the all mighty dollar always at the bottom of every decision that any board, institution, or organization makes (why cannot the right thing to do be the right thing to do regardless of the cost). OK, I'm rambling.
The appearance of evil is to not actually do something evil, it is to do something that legitimately gives the impression to someone else of wrong doing. We are our brothers keepers and if abstaining from alcohol or meat offered to idols saves another individual from going off the deep end then I am beholding to him to refrain, because his mental well being is more important than my luxury. Real world example - I'm married, I cannot go to dinner with another female alone because it has the appearance of adultery and the devil is a roaring lion roaming around seeking whom he may devour; and, I don't want to put that added strain on my wife, she deserves complete devotion.
Looking like the enemy: *For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. The enemy is anything that causes us to doubt the existence of God or corrupt the quality of life that should be ours, in Christ. Yes I believe that about 89% of all secular music is one of the subtlest forms of destruction that has led to the deterioration of the quality of life that was to be ours in Christ. It promotes Self and not the denial of self, death to self, nor the insane idea of taking up the cross and doing something for someone else and not ourselves. Cigars, not so much, but the posturing that that and the youths music of today promotes deceives youth into believing they are rebels with a cause when they are merely reacting out of selfishness and have never actually learned delayed gratification.

Just because we both identify as Right Wing Zealots does not mean I am associated with this nut! Got it?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...We would all agree that genocide, the use of child labor and the molestation of little children are all examples of evil, correct?
Let's hope so. Can we all agree that "My Little Pony" isn't? :think: Just wondering how far off the mark you're willing to consider a thing.

Appearance of evil is not actually doing something evil,
Depends. Most things that appear evil probably are, but not every, to be certain. Context it important.

and is usually determined by the social atmosphere at the time
I'd say it's determined by the moral context, which is a bit different. So...our first fight. :D

but presently society has sunk into a mire of quicksand, slowly, with the propulsion of God from everything Governing and Social;
Expulsion? I think there's some truth to it, but given the moral lapses of nearly any generation I'm not sure it's a finger worth wagging.

with the slaughter of innocent lives daily leading to the devaluing of human beings;
Something Knight and others here work against and speak against with great frequency. And for my money, that's our slavery, the most pressing moral failure of the nation.

and my favorite - the all mighty dollar always at the bottom of every decision that any board, institution, or organization makes (why cannot the right thing to do be the right thing to do regardless of the cost).
Because the cost is a consideration that may impact your ability to do an even greater or more sustained good. But I understand your frustration, since so much of what isn't done has little relation to that sort of consideration.

OK, I'm rambling.
It's a pastime around these parts. Not to worry.

The appearance of evil is to not actually do something evil, it is to do something that legitimately gives the impression to someone else of wrong doing.
Okay, but the someone else must be reasonable or we shouldn't feel obliged to worry about him. That is, if X thinks my smile is a sneer and gives the appearance of evil, or if he finds my car too new and shiny and equates that with a failure of obligation to the poor, well...beans to him then.

We are our brothers keepers and if abstaining from alcohol or meat offered to idols
:squint: Do you actually know anyone who offers meat and strong drink to idols? I've only seen that on the history channel or in New Orleans. :shocked:

Real world example - I'm married, I cannot go to dinner with another female alone because it has the appearance of adultery
Only if you have the worst table manners imaginable. :D

It was that or:

Not unless you're really, really doing it wrong. :think: :idunno:

and, I don't want to put that added strain on my wife, she deserves complete devotion.
I'd bet that no one who knows me would bat an eyelash if I went to lunch with a female acquaintance. I know my wife wouldn't. Partly that has to do with how I comport myself and partly it has to do with her trust. As for everyone else, many people have working lunches or coworker lunches, so I don't think that's an automatic that tongues would wag. I do understand that the later you go into the evening the iffier that public appearance becomes.

The enemy is anything that causes us to doubt the existence of God or corrupt the quality of life that should be ours, in Christ.
Then no man of faith should have an enemy in that context. To love is to trust and to trust with doubt isn't really to trust at all. So, if you love God you don't entertain doubt for the same reason you don't love your wife then have her followed. :thumb:

Yes I believe that about 89% of all secular music is one of the subtlest forms of destruction that has led to the deterioration of the quality of life that was to be ours in Christ.
I think that's unsustainable hooey, but if you feel that way about it you shouldn't listen to it. I won't stop listening to U2, or Brahms, or Lyle Lovett, or Miles Davis because you have an odd notion rolling around in your noggin, of course.

It promotes Self and not the denial of self, death to self, nor the insane idea of taking up the cross and doing something for someone else and not ourselves.
My love of music promotes harmony and a great atmosphere to write and contemplate by. :think: Maybe you're simply listening to bad music.

Cigars, not so much,
Strangely, we differ on that one. Spoils the temple and is a generally poor example...like disco. But given only adults are allowed to smoke legally and they should be old enough to make an informed choice, I don't fret overly much about it, though I do advise against it.

:e4e:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Evil is the intention or effect of causing harm or destruction...Cigars...
:dizzy: "...The Left is prone to hysteria. The belief that global warming will destroy the world is but one of many hysterical notions held on the Left. As noted in a previous column devoted to the Left and hysteria, many on the Left have been hysterical about the dangers of the [Patriot] Act and the NSA surveillance of phone numbers (incipient fascism); secondhand smoke (killing vast numbers of people); drilling in the remotest area of Alaska (major environmental despoliation); and opposition to same-sex marriage (imminent Christian theocracy)..." Full text: An Inconvenient Paranoia by Dennis Prager

Last edited:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

Wow! what a mouthful. Gsusis, you cannot worm out of your insult to Knight or the membership by making a post like this trying to justify your reasoning. It is customary on a board such as this to get to know the other users and develop some sort of fellowship with them before dropping shallow insults. Surely, I hope your not so shallow that you judge someone by their avitar? You talk a lot about appearances but, it appears you have offended someone for no good reason, then you refuse to just apologize and try to move on. Instead you go on pontificating. The apology would be more painless...Just Sayin

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:dizzy: "...The Left is prone to hysteria.
Calm down. That's crazy talk. :plain:

The belief that global warming will destroy the world is but one of many hysterical notions held on the Left.
You mean severely harm a great many people living on the planet. That was the actual, non hysterical call of some of the most prestigious scientific communities and individuals available. Responding to that analysis is anything but hysterical. Calling it hysterical, well, that's pure emotionalism.

...many on the Left have been hysterical about the dangers of the [Patriot] Act and the NSA surveillance of phone numbers (incipient fascism);
Nothing hysterical about worrying after abuses of power from the government or being alarmed by the suspension of habeas corpus. Though it's hysterical that you think so. :D

secondhand smoke (killing vast numbers of people);
Don't recall the vast numbers bit being advanced, but it's a fact that second hand smoke is hazardous to your health and no one should be subjected to it without their consent.

drilling in the remotest area of Alaska (major environmental despoliation);
So, essentially, anything you want to see happen that someone opposes must make them a proponent of hysteria? :plain:

and opposition to same-sex marriage (imminent Christian theocracy)..."
There's an argument that in a secular society there should be a compelling interest to warrant the interference with the right to contract between consenting adults. Is that hysterical? I don't see how.

Last edited:

zoo22

I'd like to see a Battle Royale debate with Gsusis and serpentdove.

Maybe avatars could be the topic. Or cigars. ...No matter what the topic, I'm certain it'd be an interesting discussion.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The appearance of evil is to not actually do something evil, it is to do something that legitimately gives the impression to someone else of wrong doing.
Just curious... what is evil about a gray haired bearded guy holding a cigar? :idunno:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just curious... what is evil about a gray haired bearded guy holding a cigar? :idunno:
Well, gray-bearded cigar smokers do make little girls talk oughta' their heads. I'm just sayin'. ;)

AMR

Last edited:

Yazichestvo

I'd like to see a Battle Royale debate with Gsusis and serpentdove.

Maybe avatars could be the topic. Or cigars. ...No matter what the topic, I'm certain it'd be an interesting discussion.

Indeed. What happens when two infinitely dense objects collide?