Kentucky clerk who refused gay couples taken into federal custody; ordered jailed

kmoney

Hall of Fame
how about a Christian nurse who is transferred to an abortion clinic?

Should she resign?

Sure. I don't see that as very comparable to a clerk issuing a license though. Based on my understanding, a clerk issuing marriage licenses isn't actually performing the ceremony or causing them to be married in any sense (religious or civil).

kmoney

Hall of Fame
You can't use the ends to justify the means if the means are intrinsically evil.

Note that there's nothing intrinsically evil about holding a beer for someone.

The example that started that line of the conversion was someone selling a pack of condoms. Same answer?

PureX

The idea that we are responsible for the sins of others simply because we didn't actively try to stop them from sinning is both foolish and unChristian. It's a ruse being used by some Christians, who want to control, manipulate, and humiliate other people who they determine to be "sinners" (as if they are not sinners, themselves).

I sympathize with this clerk because I believe she is trying to do the right thing. But she is clearly confused about what it means to be a Christian, and how Christ teaches Christians to respond to the sinners of the world (which is everyone).

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
The example that started that line of the conversion was someone selling a pack of condoms. Same answer?

Yes. There's nothing intrinsically evil about ringing up a pack of condoms. What's intrinsically evil is using contraceptives (and this, qua (i.e., insofar as) contraceptive). The problem here isn't that the clerk does something intrinsically evil. The problem is that he's materially cooperating in the serious sin of someone else. This material cooperation may or may not be justifed in the given circumstances.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yes. There's nothing intrinsically evil about ringing up a pack of condoms. What's intrinsically evil is using contraceptives (and this, qua (i.e., insofar as) contraceptive). The problem here isn't that the clerk does something intrinsically evil. The problem is that he's materially cooperating in the serious sin of someone else. This material cooperation may or may not be justifed in the given circumstances.

The problem here is how out of touch with reality you are.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Uh huh. Because we all know there are people who buy contraceptives for purposes other than contraception ...

1. In principle, you could use them for other things. One could, e.g., poke holes in a condom and use it during normal marital relations in order to obtain a sperm sample for medical purposes (e.g., to determine sperm count). Here, there is the use of a condom, but not as a contraceptive. The marital act remains open to life.

2. 1 is ultimately irrelevent, though. The fact remains that it's the use of a condom, as contraceptive, which constitutes the intrinsic moral evil. Again, I agree that the cashier is probably contributing, materially, to the evil act. Nonetheless, his contribution is indirect and remote. He permits and materially facilitates, very indirectly and remotely, the sinful act.

Ultimately, the cashier has pretty much no say in what the store does and doesn't sell. Of course, if he has the choice between being a cashier at a store that does, and a store that does not, sell contraceptives, all other things being equal, he should prefer to work at the store that doesn't sell contraceptives.

Granite

Hall of Fame
1. In principle, you could use them for other things. One could, e.g., poke holes in a condom and use it during normal marital relations in order to obtain a sperm sample for medical purposes (e.g., to determine sperm count). Here, there is the use of a condom, but not as a contraceptive. The marital act remains open to life.

2. 1 is ultimately irrelevent, though. The fact remains that it's the use of a condom, as contraceptive, which constitutes the intrinsic moral evil. Again, I agree that the cashier is probably contributing, materially, to the evil act. Nonetheless, his contribution is indirect and remote. He permits and materially facilitates, very indirectly and remotely, the sinful act.

Ultimately, the cashier has pretty much no say in what the store does and doesn't sell. Of course, if he has the choice between being a cashier at a store that does, and a store that does not, sell contraceptives, all other things being equal, he should prefer to work at the store that doesn't sell contraceptives.

I'm putting you and your pedantic ignorance on ignore. I don't appreciate you neg repping me for no reason and your posts are a distraction.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
1. In principle, you could use them for other things.
In principal you could try to clean your ears out with a loaded gun.

One could, e.g., poke holes in a condom
Or an argument.

The fact remains that it's the use of a condom, as contraceptive, which constitutes the intrinsic moral evil.
A conclusion predicated on an assumption/assertion that has no objective basis in fact.

Again, I agree that the cashier is probably contributing, materially, to the evil act. Nonetheless, his contribution is indirect and remote. He permits and materially facilitates, very indirectly and remotely, the sinful act.
If, however, it is an evil act then everyone who produces or profits by it is materially engaged in the evil.

Ultimately, the cashier has pretty much no say in what the store does and doesn't sell.
Just a guard at a camp, eh? No idea what they're doing in there. I'm must not letting any get away, eh?

StanJ

Never have, but anyone who has been banned repeatedly will ride the pine for a pretty long clip before being let back in. Some, like AB, even turn around a more contentious approach and are better for it, as is the forum.
Knight has let people on either side of the aisle come back after a stint and before the full time ran.

It would be naïve to think they sit around doing nothing. Most trolls have several sites going at any one time. BTW, my comment was rhetorical.

I don't think it's about corruption. It's about utility. Some contention and stirring keeps everyone talking and arguing. The trick is to make sure the penalty phase is sufficient to keep the worst sort of trolling behavior off the boards, to move people to reform the worst of it. Mostly that's what tends to happen. The letter of the law, skewed as it is in many ways, is mostly or generally aimed at promoting a spirit of engagement short of fisticuffs.

It's about being corrupted with uncontestable power. Most people suffer from it, to one degree or another. IMHO, trolls, one identified as actual trolls, should always be banned permanently. The trick is to ensure they are actual trolls, and not just people dissenting about certain issues.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It would be naïve to think they sit around doing nothing. Most trolls have several sites going at any one time.
I don't tend to give trolls that aren't present much thought.

BTW, my comment was rhetorical.
Didn't really come off that way, but I was more interested in addressing a few of the points you made than in getting into a...wait, is this rhetorical too? :eek:

It's about being corrupted with uncontestable power.
I got the inference, I just didn't agree with it entirely.

Most people suffer from it, to one degree or another. IMHO, trolls, one identified as actual trolls, should always be banned permanently.
I suppose then that you don't decide the point, because I like second chances. Third chances now and then. I wouldn't permaban anyone who wasn't routinely and openly blasphemous or profane.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
This billboard just went up in Morehead:

55f33565140000d8012e579b.jpeg